• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Everything Virtual Queue - Please Read Posts 1 and 2

Is this all correct regarding enforcing end times of LL or BG slots:

For the GotG virtual queue boarding group, they are NOT enforcing the end time.
For the Tron virtual queue boarding group, they ARE enforcing the end time.

For lightning lane slots booked through Genie+ or bought through ILL, they ARE enforcing the end time (on Tron, GotG, and all other G+ or LL rides).

Thanks!
Correct. TRON people were being turned away for being late; even 30min

GotG - one day we were were 10 hours late per the CM and his smile and chuckle. No problem.

Why are they being so strict with Tron VQ? Is it possible that was only for when it first opened? I got a VQ knowing we wouldn’t be in the park until after 5 today - I never even got a notification our group was called but it’s expired. I’m very used to GOTG so figured it wasn’t a big deal - didn’t realize it meant we couldn’t ride today.

I’m floored people are being turned away. That seems unnecessary.

Last edited:

Why are they being so strict with Tron VQ? Is it possible that was only for when it first opened? I got a VQ knowing we wouldn’t be in the park until after 5 today - I never even got a notification our group was called but it’s expired. I’m very used to GOTG so figured it wasn’t a big deal - didn’t realize it meant we couldn’t ride today.

I think the concern is that people would save their VQ and all show up to ride at night instead of being spaced out across all operating hours. Reportedly, the ride is more exciting at night due to the lighting effects on the canopy.

My son has ridden day and night and can attest that in his opinion night is preferred,but not worth missing boarding group altogether If only time given is day. Still a great ride daytime. $ILL is a good way to choose night, if important to someone.

I did Tron earlier this week via VQ; booked right at 7am and got group 18. I knew we wouldn't make it to the park by the time that group was called (which was right at 9:04am IIRC) and we did indeed miss it.

We asked a CM if we could ride when we finally arrived well past the expiration. She said no, but confirmed we could try again for the 1pm VQ. She told us NOT to touch anything or remove anyone, just try again at 1. Which we did and very easily secured a spot, then rode mid-afternoon.

I did Tron earlier this week via VQ; booked right at 7am and got group 18. I knew we wouldn't make it to the park by the time that group was called (which was right at 9:04am IIRC) and we did indeed miss it.

We asked a CM if we could ride when we finally arrived well past the expiration. She said no, but confirmed we could try again for the 1pm VQ. She told us NOT to touch anything or remove anyone, just try again at 1. Which we did and very easily secured a spot, then rode mid-afternoon.
This is helpful! Today was our only day we could ride (it’s a short 3 nighter). Honestly we are pros, and this was the first time in my adult life I planned for something that just blew up in my face. It almost ruined the night, but the park was very low today which made lines shorter by the time we showed up (at 5, exactly as planned). We are DVC and APs, visit roughly 4-6 times a year. The way they have tron set up now there is a very likely chance we may never ride it! We don’t spend all day in a park, it wasn’t worth getting an VQ and not being able to use it- that’s just frustrating. It may have been a glitch bc I never even got an estimated call back time - NOR a notification our group was called , and I’m not willing to pay $80 for us to ride. In fact I wouldn’t even pay half that. It’s just not how we travel, and with park hopping still locked and park reservations required… it just makes it kinda not doable for us in particular. Different folks different strokes - it’s obviously working for many people!

The night thing makes sense I guess but like… we wanted to ride at 5. That’s def not nightfall. If everyone wanted to do that it’s one thing. I wonder how many are losing a spot? Hmmm 🤔

This is helpful! Today was our only day we could ride (it’s a short 3 nighter). Honestly we are pros, and this was the first time in my adult life I planned for something that just blew up in my face. It almost ruined the night, but the park was very low today which made lines shorter by the time we showed up (at 5, exactly as planned). We are DVC and APs, visit roughly 4-6 times a year. The way they have tron set up now there is a very likely chance we may never ride it! We don’t spend all day in a park, it wasn’t worth getting an VQ and not being able to use it- that’s just frustrating. It may have been a glitch bc I never even got an estimated call back time - NOR a notification our group was called , and I’m not willing to pay $80 for us to ride. In fact I wouldn’t even pay half that. It’s just not how we travel, and with park hopping still locked and park reservations required… it just makes it kinda not doable for us in particular. Different folks different strokes - it’s obviously working for many people!

The night thing makes sense I guess but like… we wanted to ride at 5. That’s def not nightfall. If everyone wanted to do that it’s one thing. I wonder how many are losing a spot? Hmmm 🤔
I should add - while the kids were SOOO disappointed- the night really did turn around. Cast members seemed really happy today. And like I said lower crowds. We did dinner at 6:30 (be our guest) after riding big thunder. Immediately after dinner (it was LONG) we ride mine train twice in a row, second ride during HEA. Watched the last 4 minutes behind the castle, then ride Pooh and HM.

It was a bummer, but it is what it is. We’ve been lucky with Rise and Guardians, it was bound to happen at some point that luck would turn!

Attachments

• FADDF8E5-F2A0-45E7-884E-48D07E554FD2.jpeg
    FADDF8E5-F2A0-45E7-884E-48D07E554FD2.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 15
We are arriving on Tuesday and I have a park reservation for AK. We are planning on hopping over to Epcot in the evening.

I was hoping to get into the virtual queue for Guardians but if I’m understanding correctly my options to get on it are 7:00am and 1:00pm. We won’t be in Epcot at 1:00 so that won’t work. I *may* be able to log on at 7:00 right before our flight boards but do I need to have a park reservation for Epcot to be able to book it? If I do can I make a reservation for Epcot, get in the queue and then change it back to AK?

The other option is to just stick with Epcot as our main park and not hop anywhere but if I change it to Epcot and can’t get the queue then I’d want to stick with the AK plan - can you change your park reservation on the fly?

7am drop today I got BG1, but the morning didn't start as plan so had to cancel it as in the end didn't make it into MK until nearly 11. Tried again in the 1pm drop, and got BG93. This got called around 14:50 and we were by Cosmic Ray's so went immediately. We then queued around an hour with long periods of not moving at all. In the afternoon sun this wasn't fun, and then when we got inside it didn't feel much cooler either.

The ride was amazing but its super uncomfortable. The wife has bad bruises on her calfs so is a one and done for her, and maybe for me too.

We are arriving on Tuesday and I have a park reservation for AK. We are planning on hopping over to Epcot in the evening.

I was hoping to get into the virtual queue for Guardians but if I’m understanding correctly my options to get on it are 7:00am and 1:00pm. We won’t be in Epcot at 1:00 so that won’t work. I *may* be able to log on at 7:00 right before our flight boards but do I need to have a park reservation for Epcot to be able to book it? If I do can I make a reservation for Epcot, get in the queue and then change it back to AK?

The other option is to just stick with Epcot as our main park and not hop anywhere but if I change it to Epcot and can’t get the queue then I’d want to stick with the AK plan - can you change your park reservation on the fly?
Post 1 of this thread explains how the GotG VQ works.

To be eligible at 7AM you need to have an Epcot park reservation. There were examples of Rise where a guest secured a VQ and then switched their park reservation but honestly I have not read a report of anyone trying this with GotG so not sure if it would hold your reservation or not.

Also a note, GotG VQ guests may ride anytime from when their group is called until park close. (This is not the case for Tron where return times are strictly enforced)

If you have an Epcot reservation and are not successful with the 7AM drop then yes, you can switch your park reservation to AK and there would be no problem at all doing that this week.

Are there any indications that Disney is exploring abolishing the VQ for GotG and/or Tron any time in the near future? Or are we seemingly stuck with these arrangements, at least through Summer?

Are there any indications that Disney is exploring abolishing the VQ for GotG and/or Tron any time in the near future? Or are we seemingly stuck with these arrangements, at least through Summer?
There was a poll sent out about it recently for Guardians. I’m paraphrasing it, but they really laid it on thick with the two options. Basically, would you rather:

- Get rid of VQ, understanding that as a result, wait times might exceed two hours and you might have to wait outside?
- Keep the VQ, meaning you still have to deal with the existing annoyances but wait times are more stable

FWIW I know people have different experiences but my VQ wait times have been around 45 min. And I would expect them to use VQ for Tron until at least it’s first anniversary.

Very surprised by this. We live about 1+ hrs from WDW and are AP and DVC. Typically, when we go over for a weekend when we get up Fri am I get the VQ and then get to parks past 5pm. For both Rise and GOTG never have been turned away even when our groups were called hours earlier. We have only ridden Tron for AP preview days and then D23 event so this will be our first time going with actual VQ so guess that won't work. And we won't be at the park at 1pm so forces the ILL purchase. Maybe that's part of the reason as well.

Very surprised by this. We live about 1+ hrs from WDW and are AP and DVC. Typically, when we go over for a weekend when we get up Fri am I get the VQ and then get to parks past 5pm. For both Rise and GOTG never have been turned away even when our groups were called hours earlier. We have only ridden Tron for AP preview days and then D23 event so this will be our first time going with actual VQ so guess that won't work. And we won't be at the park at 1pm so forces the ILL purchase. Maybe that's part of the reason as well.
It’s entirely because they’re worried that people will delay checking in so they can ride Tron at night. I say this as someone who specifically booked a Tron ILL so I could do that. They might change the policy if there’s an indication that it isn’t as big an issue as they expected but I can definitely tell you that there are people on social media recommending to ride at night (and it is better at night).

Because Tron is so strict with VQ return time, if we have breakfast reservations at 'Ohana (9:50AM but watching for earlier) on our MK day, is the recommendation for Tron to skip trying for VQ at 7am, and instead just buy ILL$ and/or hope for VQ at 1pm?

I'm thinking back to our October Guardians VQ when we got Boarding Group 27 which initially had an early afternoon return time that ended up actually being 9:30am!! (causing a last minute scramble to get to the park, not knowing they weren't as strict, and afraid that we'd miss and not get on the ride)
I've been told if you cancel your first boarding group before its called you can still que up for the 2nd later on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter