Exclusive Baby Gorilla Photos! (plus bonus Trip Report) - June '15 - completed 10/23 - Page 31

New to Us

As always, we did a few "first times" this year. The biggest and best was clearly La Nouba. Unreal. Has to be seen to be believed. Highly recommended.

Characters in Flight was a lot of fun, too. And I really liked Earl of Sandwich, which the girls ate at last year.

Also, the Mine Train, which I raved about earlier. And Caribbean Beach, which I'll rave about later. Including Shutters. And Old Port Royale.

Next year, we (hopefully) get the new Soarin', the Frozen ride, and the Jungle Cruise restaurant. We can hope.

Caribbean Beach Resort

We thought about staying a CBR a few times over the years, but the bus nightmare stories kept us away. This year, after initially booking Coronado Springs for what would have been a sixth straight year, we flipped it up and went with Caribbean Beach. And I was not disappointed.

As this TR's many photos hopefully show you, the place is beautiful. The layout is gorgeous. It just screams "tropics". Which we love.

The pool theming was great, though the slide left a little to be desired. I think we're spoiled by the Jag-u-lar Slide at Coronado.

The quick service food court at Old Port Royale had a ton of great options, and the jerk potato chips and Monkey Cupcake were huge hits with us.

Shutters took me completely by surprise. We had flopped this one over to Olivia's, then back again, solely because I wasn't sold on Shutters. But I eventually conceded. And man, am I glad I did. The steak I got was the best of the trip, topping even Le Cellier and Narcoossee's. The service was fantastic, and the place was a nice addition to the resort. You never felt like you weren't still at CBR there. It had "the feel".

The resort is HUGE, but I like that. One of my favorite things was the walk arounnd the entire resort. So much variety there in the different areas.

And whattayaknow, the busing wasn't anywhere near as bad as I've heard it was. We had to wait the first morning, but other than that, there were no delays that couldn't simply be chalked up to it being June.

The resort was also located right next to both Hollywood Studios and Epcot, and not far from Animal Kingdom. It's a bit of a ride to MK (~20 minutes), but that's the case for most of the moderates.

In all, I loved Caribbean Beach Resort. Do I love it more than Coronado? Well, that's our next topic...

Caribbean Beach vs. Coronado Springs

It's pretty obvious we're CSR loyalists. It's our favorite. Hands down. Well, for three of us. I'm still on the fence.

Noting that I do tend to prefer the thing we did last, I still have a hard time picking which one I like more.

In appearance, I think it's a tie. Both are very similar. Big resort around big lake. "Hot" theme.

In food, I have to give the edge to Shutters over Maya Grill, but if Pepper Market is better than it was the last year we were there (seemingly a transition year at PM), it could give OPR a run for it's money. Considering those only, CBR has a slight edge, but when you add in the Siestas Pool Bar quick service at Coronado, CSR pulls ahead.

I prefer the proximity to the parks at CBR, since we only hit Animal Kingdom once a trip anyway.

The rooms were essentially the same, except we had a Murphy Bed. Which meant I had a queen-sized bed to myself on most nights. CBR would win the room category, BUT.....it got sunk by the horrifically bad wi-fi access in the room. It didn't really work at all for the first few days, and then, it was slow and spotty the rest of the trip. CSR had great wi-fi, even in the Cabanas.

CSR wins on busing, as it does when stacked against either Port Orleans, too. The busing at CSR is wonderful. It's not bad at CBR, but not as good as Coronado.

In all, when we go back to Coronado next year (spoiler!), I'll probably remember why that's our "home". But I really enjoyed CBR, and would recommend it to any of my fellow Mod Trash.

Kristin, on the other hand...

Well, she seemed to like CBR during the trip, but the farther away from it we get, the more she dislikes it. Personally, I think it all revolves around the Jag-u-lar Slide for her.

So, as a family, the verdict is that Coronado Springs is better than Caribbean Beach. For us. But Caribbean Beach ain't no slouch. We had a fantastic time there, and I'd certainly be in favor of returning one day.

Favorites

So, what did we like? Well, all of it! But some things more than others.

As far as rides go, the Mine Train is great. We really, really love Space Mountain now, too as well as Big Thunder Mountain. Splash was always near the top of our list. Also Expedition Everest (seeing a theme here?) and Rock 'n Roller Coaster...for the kids and me, at least. Kristin prefers Tower of Terror.

Oh, can't forget about Star Tours. HUGE fans of that ride. Kristin and Emily are finally watching the movies now, and we just watched Empire Strikes Back (also known as "the best one"). Four more to go! Before December!

Narcoossee's is probably the favorite restaurant of all of us, and we think more of Sci-Fi every time we eat there. Coral Reef is always a favorite. And, of course, Cape May Cafe.

Missing the list isn't necessarily a bad thing, though, since the ratings at Disney are "great", "awesome", and "wig-flippingly fantastic". We love it all. The vast majority of it all, at least.

2016? Yep. 2016.

Since I already let the cat out of the bag (DISCLAIMER: no actual cats were placed in bags during the writing of this Trip Report), I guess the next items would be "when?" and "what?"

The "when" is after school ends again. Monday, June 13th through Friday, June 24th.

The "what" are the plans that Kristin drew up a few weeks ago, during a break at school. Tentative restaurant selections are the Jungle Cruise one ("Skipper's Cantina"), Narcoosee's (of course), Sci-Fi (of course), Coral Reef (of course), Rose & Crown, Cape May Cafe, Maya Grill, Biergarten, 'Ohana, and potentially Shutters. If I have any say in the matter.

No idea if we plan on doing anything big, like we did with La Nouba, outside of the parks yet. If only Emily were 13, and could meet the Epcot dolphins.

Oh, and none of the usual "we may end up going somewhere else instead of WDW" nonsense next year, either. Kristin admitted during the trip how crazy those ideas were. She promised it won't happen again. Good choice. WDW is best. Always.

Awesome wrap up!

I really want to get on that Characters in Flight Balloon someday. That Resort right near DTD is Saratoga Springs.

CSR is the only Mod I have not stayed in yet, will have to try it sometime, From pictures I really love the Lobby and the grounds. Have stayed at CBR a few times and POR/POFQ a couple times each too. I would say my Favorite is POR (in the Magnolia Bend section)

Thanks Gorilla Man!

Good report! Lovely family! Great lotsa pics!!! Omg lotsa pic lol!

Fun.

Good jam! You got there.

Cheers, Mel.

Edit: Disney is the way to go. Don't deviate. Always fun. And. Always you *know* it's gonna be fun!

:moped:

Itinerary:
  • Blow Remaining Snack Credits
  • Leave Disney
  • Cry

Funny. But so, so sad.

I tried to balance out the dirty clothes and souvenirs among the four suitcases throughout the trip, but once all the toiletries started coming out, there needed to be further adjusting.

Ugh. I hate packing to go home. Here, go wrap this Disney mug in your stinky sweaty t-shirt so it doesn't break.
And even though we leave extra space in our luggage for the stuff we know we'll buy it's always a challenge to fit everything.

Now, if they were blue and purple Haunted Mansion meat balls, I would have been all over that.

Hmmmm, you may be on to something here. Disney can add a Haunted Mansion themed restaurant .... one menu item: "Memento Mori Meatballs". Tasty!

Ever since they ate here last year, Kristin and Emily have raved about the Earl of Sandwich.

I have yet to try EoS. Emily is not a sandwich eater so we always bypass it. Darn kids.

I don't know what any of this is:

Um hello, that's a pixie dust factory.

(aka the Team Disney office - administrative HQ of the WDW Resort)

Thanks again for writing another awesome trip report. Have fun planning your June 2016 trip. We have a trip planned for August 2016. Only 295 days to go .....

Coming out of "lurkdom" to say I am sad you trip report is done! I have really enjoyed reading them! And I will look for you in June 2016 as it looks like our trips overlap (we are the 11-17). Until next year!

Thanks once again for the great TR and the excellent wrap up. I am off to CSR for the first time in 9 days, largely because your pictures and descriptions of the resort inspired me to try it. Can't wait! Thanks for all the great photos of the baby gorillas, and the beautiful pics of of the wonders of WDW! Enjoy planning next year's trip. I look forward to reading the sequel.

Loved your trip report!! Now I get to read all your old ones in order and probably reread this one...then maybe itll be time for your next trip and then your trip report! (who am I kidding I'm about to read all your old trip reports by tonight!!!) Have fun planning! Thank you for sharing your special vacations with us!! :worship::love:

I'm glad Kristin came to her senses and there's no doubt you're going back. Because the best cure for Disney Depression is obsessively planning the next trip. Are the kids all in, too? We may just overlap with you - our back up June dates are the 7-16th, if March falls through w school conflicts.

I agree - there is a lot of negativity in the WDW fan world right now. But we're with you - the value (and magic) are still there for our family. We love the planning. We look for the positive rather than the negative while we're there. We've had some amazing interactions- both with CMs and other guests - on every trip. And really, WDW is the best place we've found to disconnect from real life and just hang with our family. (note : it probably helps my attitude that we've already purchased the kids' tickets for next year's trip, and bought APs for my husband and I 3 days before the price increase).

6a00d83451bfe869e201bb08865513970d-pi

Hey! I was just editing pics from our October trip right before I read this... and I've got a 12 for you. Wrong location, though. Bummer.

Thanks again for sharing your trip! I always love reading the perspective of other families with older kids (ours are 14, 12 & 8) - it's just a totally different experience when they are little anymore.

Last edited:
Another great trip report, nilla! Seriously, your trip reports are some of my favorite ones I've read on the DIS.

Oh no it's over! I have loved following along with all of your Disney fun. You had a pretty great trip this year for sure. I am also in camp love the mine train. It's so well themed and a pretty great ride. Love Coronado too and glad to see you will be returning. Some of the best bus luck we have ever had.

I really loved reading your trip report. Looks like you and your family had a wonderful trip. I always start to read trip reports but usually lose interest and give up. Your reports I always come back to. Will look for your trip report next year!!

I THINK June 13-24. I loosened up a bit on that :) When will you be there?

We are going the 3rd-11th so unless I have found a way to hide inside the parks I guess I won't see you guys.:scratchin

When I first started reading this report I thought it would be a long time before I got to read the end so I am very excited that you was able to finish this one so quickly.:dancer:

Now I just have to try to remember everything I said I wanted to remember for our trip.:eek:

:thanks:for sharing all the memories and ideas!!!

So sad your TR is over! Looks like you had a great last day at DTD though. I think the best part of Disney is that no matter how many times you go, you can always find something new to add to the list. Also so glad you'll be going back next year! It's impossible to not keep going when there's still so much magic. On a forum where everyone's constantly complaining about something or other, your TR has been such a breath of fresh air! So happy that your family had such a great trip this year!

(Now I've just got to kick myself into gear and finish my own...)

sounds like a wonderful meal at Narcossees - and that is great you have the option of the scallops - looks really good.

I definitely feel the way you do about the Grand Floridian - nice to visit but not sure if I would feel comfortable staying there ... but I have read several TR where people had the same concern but then felt totally comfortable there and loved it - so you never know

Darn shame Emily had to take her racist t-shirt off though - I assume she swore like a sailor when that was demanded of her

Gotta love talking Mickey - teaching kids that if you can't legitimately do something, cheat

Definitely cranking out the princesses, er, queen and princesses - glad to see Emily was getting use of the hat she just got!

Glad you thought the Wishes FP spot was good - hear mixed reviews of that. I am lock stock with you on comparing the shows. Illuminations is the *better* show, but Wishes, just gets you in the feels a bit more. In any event they are both great and it is nice not having to choose

Fun end to the evening getting on two roller coasters!

Definitely always sad that last time you exit the park - but a bit easier when you know you had a full and successful day and knowing you have a little time the next morning at DTD

That is good they have a scale at least at the luggage check in spot there to give you a chance to rearrange you dirty close out in the open for all to see rather than just take the bags and have you pay a fee if required

Lunch looks good - never make it to Earl of Sandwhich ... I guess knowing that you can find it elsewhere (often at airports) makes it less "Disney World" to me and just always pick other options ... but the food looks really good! I always love my "day after Thanksgiving throw everything into a sandwich" sandwich - so I assume I would like the one you got.

Wow - great pictures from Characters in Flight or whatever it is the Balloon is called (it is Disney after all - can't just call it "the big balloon"). Amazing how much you can see and how each location relates to each other. That is a lot of construction too!

I don't know what any of this is:

Pretty sure that is the Team Disney building which is basically the administration building for Walt Disney World ... plus a cafeteria I believe!

Glad to hear you were happy with trying out Caribbean Beach but also that it reminded you of what you like so much about Coranado Springs. Sometimes you need the chance to miss things to realize how much you appreciate it. Well, that's at least what I tell my kids every morning when I leave for work - I need a chance to miss them!

Pretty good when you have to list so many things as "Favorite" - all in all sounds like a great trip and glad to hear you go that "entertaining thoughts of going somewhere other that Disney World" out of your system. Though, I suppose one year you could get a little nuts and give something like Disneyland a go ;)

Just wanted to end by saying Thank You! for writing up your report - I know it is a lot of work. Always find your updates very entertaining and great to re-meet your family virtually. Have a great year and enjoy the planning! (super excited for the new Skipper restaurant - seems like it will have a bit of an Adventurer's Club vibe to it)

I'm so sad this is over! Thank you for writing such fun TR's! They really are a pleasure to read!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter