Experience of testing positive at port

OoflowerbudoO

Earning My Ears
I thought back and forth about whether I wanted to post this but felt that in my initial question on this forum about COVID testing, it was hard to find info on what it would be like to test positive at port on this forum. I ultimately decided to write down this whole experience so people can assess whether or not it’s worth going through with their families.

We were supposed to board the Fantasy this last Saturday (2/12). All vaccinated and over 5, we were completely asymptomatic. When we got to port, we were directed to the testing tents. There is a tent that you walk through to get your test kits, where they will scan your reservation number and complete the swabbing process. Overall it was a fairly quick process. After that they scan you again and tell you what tent to wait in. We waited and watched test results come back on the TV, which showed your reservation number and whether you were cleared “terminal” or had an issue with testing “consult”. I think took about 40 min for our reservation number to show “consult.” Then I got a call on my phone saying to stay put and someone would come get us. Initially we had the false hope of maybe testing inconclusive, but when I checked the safe passage website, it said our oldest son had tested positive.

Knowing the awful truth and feeling like our stomachs had dropped, we waited a few minutes for a nice Disney representative to come for us. She was nice. My husband told her that we looked at the app and know the situation. AT this point, my 7 and 9 year old had NO idea what was going on, and happily followed us. We were taken to a trailer with multiple empty rooms (felt very much like a bare tiny hospital room) with a few chairs. We sat down, another Disney rep joined us and a nurse from inspire diagnostics walked in. She spent a very short amount of time with us, but basically said, outloud, that my son had tested positive. Everyone else was negative. But he was positive and so we cannot board the ship. We were handed a paper with his positive test result. My husband asked if he could be retested because he was asymptomatic, and the answer was a firm no. At this point, my oldest especially, exploded in tears. Both kids were very sad, but he understood…after this nurse loudly broadcasted that he was the one that ruined our vacation, and felt that he was at fault. We had prepped our kids for this possibility and understood that this can happen. But nothing could’ve prepared us for how much our hearts hurt seeing our kids like this. All of a sudden, all the preperation, the costumes, the star wars movies, the packed light sabers, the months of masking vigilance, talking up dolphin excursions and the kids club etc - all gone.

We were told that if we got a doctor’s exemption, we could come back within 90 days. I told the Disney rep that there is NO way I am bringing my kids back for another potential experience like this. Even if there’s one exception, one of us could test positive again.

They asked us if we traveled with anyone else and how we got to port etc. We had flown in and stayed at a hotel the night before. They arranged to have a shuttle take us “somewhere” but we had no where to go. So at this point, with crying children, we were left frantically searching for a car rental or hotel room. This process probably took us at least an hour and a half because the cell reception (ATT) was so terrible. We wanted to get OUT of that area. My husband finally asked them for the password for their internet, and after sometime, it was given to us. Seeing the cruise ship, seeing the Disney workers literally clapping for those who passed the test, was just too much to bear. When we finally got a hotel room booked, we walked to the shuttle, past the terminal port where the soft star wars music was playing, to a shuttle van. Our luggage was waiting for us, and the kids suitcases had a little tag saying “2 light sabers.” Not knowing what this meant, the disney cruise representative assumed that they were confiscated and made us wait another 20 minutes to see if they can locate them on the ship. At this point, my husband insisted we leave. $20 dollar light sabers are not worth sitting there in front of the ship.

Anyway, we luckily were able to find a beachside rental and are spending some time next to the ocean and in the warmer weather.

Looking back, the possibility of being turned away at port was theoretically awful. But in our minds, vaccinated/boosted/vigilance, the likelihood was so low we didn’t think it could happen. I would never put my children through this experience again so long as they can be turned away, at port, with the ship in plain sight and happy Disney music blasting.

If there’s any advice I can give:

1. Test right before you get on an airplane, changing your vacation at this point will be a lot less painful

2. If for some terrible reason, on the safe passage app it says one of you has tested positive, pull the RN/healthcare worker aside and tell them that you will let your children know. That way, you can control how the message is delivered. We would’ve told our children that one of us were positive and we couldn’t go on the ship. We would’ve never let our 9 year bear that burden of knowing he was positive right then and there. Maybe later once everyone had settled down, he would’ve taken that news a lot better.

3. Decide whether at the end of all this it’s worth it for your families. If we lived in florida, we could’ve just driven home. But this for us was time taken away from school and work and will not in anyway, resemble a vacation we could’ve had. Looking back, it feels silly of us to leave it up to chance that we would be turned away at the last minute.

We were given a letter that we will use to rebook another cruise, but we definitely don’t plan on returning this year.

Dang I'm sorry that happened to you! All of these stories are just so brutal and heartbreaking.

Did you all do any testing before going to the port? I have a cruise booked for late March but it's just me and my wife. She's got the 90-day exemption so she's covered. I know that with it just being me, and being fully vaxxed and boosted, more than likely I'll be fine, but stories like this always pique my anxiety. I plan on testing as much as possible between now and then so that 1) if I happen to have it and be asymptomatic, I'll know and can qualify for the 90-days, and 2) if I am too close to the trip, I can go ahead and make other arrangements rather than have to go through the walk of shame. I'm even going to bring an at-home test to do the morning of our embarkation so I can test at the hotel before we head over. I know those rapid antigens can produce false negatives, but I want to do everything I can to know in advance.

Cruising right now across the board is a very stressful endeavor with the testing and other Covid precautions. I'm hoping that Disney will follow some of the other recent cruise lines that have dropped at the port testing and allow for 2-days in advance. I mean at least that way you can head to the port knowing you're good to go, full of excitement, instead of sitting on pins and needles right up until you get the results back at the port.

I thought back and forth about whether I wanted to post this but felt that in my initial question on this forum about COVID testing, it was hard to find info on what it would be like to test positive at port on this forum. I ultimately decided to write down this whole experience so people can assess whether or not it’s worth going through with their families.

We were supposed to board the Fantasy this last Saturday (2/12). All vaccinated and over 5, we were completely asymptomatic. When we got to port, we were directed to the testing tents. There is a tent that you walk through to get your test kits, where they will scan your reservation number and complete the swabbing process. Overall it was a fairly quick process. After that they scan you again and tell you what tent to wait in. We waited and watched test results come back on the TV, which showed your reservation number and whether you were cleared “terminal” or had an issue with testing “consult”. I think took about 40 min for our reservation number to show “consult.” Then I got a call on my phone saying to stay put and someone would come get us. Initially we had the false hope of maybe testing inconclusive, but when I checked the safe passage website, it said our oldest son had tested positive.

Knowing the awful truth and feeling like our stomachs had dropped, we waited a few minutes for a nice Disney representative to come for us. She was nice. My husband told her that we looked at the app and know the situation. AT this point, my 7 and 9 year old had NO idea what was going on, and happily followed us. We were taken to a trailer with multiple empty rooms (felt very much like a bare tiny hospital room) with a few chairs. We sat down, another Disney rep joined us and a nurse from inspire diagnostics walked in. She spent a very short amount of time with us, but basically said, outloud, that my son had tested positive. Everyone else was negative. But he was positive and so we cannot board the ship. We were handed a paper with his positive test result. My husband asked if he could be retested because he was asymptomatic, and the answer was a firm no. At this point, my oldest especially, exploded in tears. Both kids were very sad, but he understood…after this nurse loudly broadcasted that he was the one that ruined our vacation, and felt that he was at fault. We had prepped our kids for this possibility and understood that this can happen. But nothing could’ve prepared us for how much our hearts hurt seeing our kids like this. All of a sudden, all the preperation, the costumes, the star wars movies, the packed light sabers, the months of masking vigilance, talking up dolphin excursions and the kids club etc - all gone.

We were told that if we got a doctor’s exemption, we could come back within 90 days. I told the Disney rep that there is NO way I am bringing my kids back for another potential experience like this. Even if there’s one exception, one of us could test positive again.

They asked us if we traveled with anyone else and how we got to port etc. We had flown in and stayed at a hotel the night before. They arranged to have a shuttle take us “somewhere” but we had no where to go. So at this point, with crying children, we were left frantically searching for a car rental or hotel room. This process probably took us at least an hour and a half because the cell reception (ATT) was so terrible. We wanted to get OUT of that area. My husband finally asked them for the password for their internet, and after sometime, it was given to us. Seeing the cruise ship, seeing the Disney workers literally clapping for those who passed the test, was just too much to bear. When we finally got a hotel room booked, we walked to the shuttle, past the terminal port where the soft star wars music was playing, to a shuttle van. Our luggage was waiting for us, and the kids suitcases had a little tag saying “2 light sabers.” Not knowing what this meant, the disney cruise representative assumed that they were confiscated and made us wait another 20 minutes to see if they can locate them on the ship. At this point, my husband insisted we leave. $20 dollar light sabers are not worth sitting there in front of the ship.

Anyway, we luckily were able to find a beachside rental and are spending some time next to the ocean and in the warmer weather.

Looking back, the possibility of being turned away at port was theoretically awful. But in our minds, vaccinated/boosted/vigilance, the likelihood was so low we didn’t think it could happen. I would never put my children through this experience again so long as they can be turned away, at port, with the ship in plain sight and happy Disney music blasting.

If there’s any advice I can give:

1. Test right before you get on an airplane, changing your vacation at this point will be a lot less painful

2. If for some terrible reason, on the safe passage app it says one of you has tested positive, pull the RN/healthcare worker aside and tell them that you will let your children know. That way, you can control how the message is delivered. We would’ve told our children that one of us were positive and we couldn’t go on the ship. We would’ve never let our 9 year bear that burden of knowing he was positive right then and there. Maybe later once everyone had settled down, he would’ve taken that news a lot better.

3. Decide whether at the end of all this it’s worth it for your families. If we lived in florida, we could’ve just driven home. But this for us was time taken away from school and work and will not in anyway, resemble a vacation we could’ve had. Looking back, it feels silly of us to leave it up to chance that we would be turned away at the last minute.

We were given a letter that we will use to rebook another cruise, but we definitely don’t plan on returning this year.

SENDING HUGE HUGS. You're post broke my heart. I actually have tears in my eyes writing this. As a mom I am so sorry this happened and especially the way the whole situation was dealt with by the "nurse."

I agree giving you the news that way was very badly handled. I hope you're filing a complaint about that.

Only fly-by-night healthcare personnel would deliver such serious test results of a child to the entire family like that.

While it's true testing right before your flight might seem to have prevented this, any one of you might not yet have built up enough viral load to test positive, particularly when you all had had boosters and been cautious. The DIY tests are notoriously unreliable unless the person has symptoms.

Unfortunately, having hopes dashed similarly may be something that will happen to people despite having taken precautions. Such is the nature of this nasty virus.

What a horrible experience for your family!

So sorry you had this experience. My in-laws had the same experience last month. Even after doing home tests the night before, the Disney test must be more sensitive and still tested positive for one of them and the answer was the same, there will be no retesting. My mother-in-law sent Disney an email just asking if there was any reason they couldn't change their protocols to test 2 days before like all other cruise lines and their answer was, you knew what you were signing up for. While that may be true, I just think getting to the ship and then being turned away has to be the worst thing ever for kids. I mean, you can see the ship!!! Again, so sorry you and your family had this experience. I hope there will be a day when all of this will be behind us!

Just another reminder that Disney uses a PCR test. Home tests are different- they are antigen and may show different results if you screen yourself for piece of mind beforehand.. This is why if you assume you had Omicron or had a past infection. get a PCR test taken back at home and if that shows positive you can use this later to be exempt from embarkation testing within if you are within those timeframes and have proper documenation.

OP- that nurse sounded HORRIBLE. So sorry you guys had to experience that.

The whole process is just awful. My son had Omicron and was symptomatic over New Years Eve-7 friends got it together, confirmed by Rapid at home antigen because at that time we could not get a PCR. Fast forward to all 5 of us getting a PCR just to see where we stood for our March 7 cruise. Fully expecting my son to be PCR positive a little over a month later. My daughter surprisingly is PCR positive (most likely from her brother even though he quarantined and she never had one symptom) and he is negative. I am worried now that the PCR he just took was a false negative and the one at the terminal will be positive. The whole thing is just so stressful. I am fully prepared to spend the week at a beachside resort but it still stinks if it happens. Disney really should follow the other lines and rapid antigen test at this point.

Rapid antigen tests aren't as accurate as PCR tests. Testing 2-3 days before sailing will catch fewer cases than testing at the port. It really sucks when you fail the test, but Disney's method will result in fewer cases onboard the ship than the others. I much prefer it this way, even with the added stress.

I didn't say to test 2-3 days before sailing. The only issue is a positive PCR can indicate an infection up to 3 months prior and that you are fully recovered and not contagious. And at least where I live, up to 6 weeks ago you couldn't get a PCR anywhere-not like it is today. I'm just saying with the numbers going down and mask mandates being lifted I hope they change their policy soon. I just think it's time to follow the science like we did initially when this entire situation started. This is just my opinion, not interested in getting into a debate about this.

Opinions are categorically not "following the science", though. The science is simple. The PCR test is more likely to pick up a positive case than the antigen test, especially if the person is asymptomatic or only recently caught the virus. That's why Disney uses the more accurate tests.

OP, I'm so sorry this happened to your family, especially your son. What a burden to put on his shoulders. That "nurse" should be fired.
I am an RN and I would never, never say something like that out loud.
I hope your son is ok and realizes he was not at fault. Shame on disney.

OP, I'm so sorry this happened to your family, especially your son. What a burden to put on his shoulders. That "nurse" should be fired.

I agree, but to be fair it was an Inspire nurse, not Disney nurses.

It's tough with kids anytime something doesn't work out. Sadly, it is the reality of cruising during a pandemic. And sometimes people forget that asymptomatic people are just as contagious to others as those with symptoms which is the entire reason for the testing.

Dang I'm sorry that happened to you! All of these stories are just so brutal and heartbreaking.

Did you all do any testing before going to the port? I have a cruise booked for late March but it's just me and my wife. She's got the 90-day exemption so she's covered. I know that with it just being me, and being fully vaxxed and boosted, more than likely I'll be fine, but stories like this always pique my anxiety. I plan on testing as much as possible between now and then so that 1) if I happen to have it and be asymptomatic, I'll know and can qualify for the 90-days, and 2) if I am too close to the trip, I can go ahead and make other arrangements rather than have to go through the walk of shame. I'm even going to bring an at-home test to do the morning of our embarkation so I can test at the hotel before we head over. I know those rapid antigens can produce false negatives, but I want to do everything I can to know in advance.

Cruising right now across the board is a very stressful endeavor with the testing and other Covid precautions. I'm hoping that Disney will follow some of the other recent cruise lines that have dropped at the port testing and allow for 2-days in advance. I mean at least that way you can head to the port knowing you're good to go, full of excitement, instead of sitting on pins and needles right up until you get the results back at the port.
We did not. Our whole family had it around Christmas time (because multiple family members tested positive but not all of us), and I tested myself about a week before and was negative. So I assumed we all were infected and recovered. Turns out my oldest managed to avoid it at christmas and pick it up for the cruise :(

I agree giving you the news that way was very badly handled. I hope you're filing a complaint about that.

Only fly-by-night healthcare personnel would deliver such serious test results of a child to the entire family like that.

While it's true testing right before your flight might seem to have prevented this, any one of you might not yet have built up enough viral load to test positive, particularly when you all had had boosters and been cautious. The DIY tests are notoriously unreliable unless the person has symptoms.

Unfortunately, having hopes dashed similarly may be something that will happen to people despite having taken precautions. Such is the nature of this nasty virus.

What a horrible experience for your family!

Yes, we did write an email. Even the Disney rep agreed the healthcare personnel delivery was awful. As a healthcare professional myself, I would‘ve approached the situation knowing how delicate it was. We were very disappointed in the way this was handled.

Fired Really?!? I am a nurse too, and there are two sides to every story and the OP was obviously upset. She may have interpreted the nurses' responses differently due to her emotional state. Everyone cruising today should be prepared for this scenario and have their kids prepared for a positive result and change in plans. Blaming the nurse or the cruise line for how they handled the situation is naive and not taking personal responsibility. Everyone should have a plan B and C in place in case this happens to them...prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

I agree, but to be fair it was an Inspire nurse, not Disney nurses.
I don't know what an Inspire nurse is? An RN is a RN and the training is the same all over the US. I don't give any nurse a pass on this one. She should have known better; Just common sense dictates that.

Maybe "firing" was too harsh. At least she should be retrained on how to do these things; something she should have known.

I don't know what an Inspire nurse is? An RN is a RN and the training is the same all over the US. I don't give any nurse pass on this one. She should have known better; Just common sense dictates that.
Sorry, they work for inspire diagnostics, not actual Disney employees. But yes, should have known better and acted better. If you an an angry person and mad at the world maybe telling people they can't get on a Disney cruise is not for you. :)

The whole process is just awful. My son had Omicron and was symptomatic over New Years Eve-7 friends got it together, confirmed by Rapid at home antigen because at that time we could not get a PCR. Fast forward to all 5 of us getting a PCR just to see where we stood for our March 7 cruise. Fully expecting my son to be PCR positive a little over a month later. My daughter surprisingly is PCR positive (most likely from her brother even though he quarantined and she never had one symptom) and he is negative. I am worried now that the PCR he just took was a false negative and the one at the terminal will be positive. The whole thing is just so stressful. I am fully prepared to spend the week at a beachside resort but it still stinks if it happens. Disney really should follow the other lines and rapid antigen test at this point.

Yes! I don’t have a problem with them doing the PCR test but rather how it was handled. It might help actually plan out exactly where you might end up so that you can go with plan B away instead of lingering at the cruise terminal. Good luck! Vast majority were testing negative, if that’s any help :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter