Experience with checking in after midnight at Disney Resorts?

We only arrived late... well after midnight once. I did get an upgrade. Preferred room instead of standard at POP. We go in early May. We almost always get a free upgrade. But you do have to ask. I do, if one wasn’t offered. Also. One nice thing about the late late check in. No line. Lol. The lobby was surreal being so empty.

Last edited:
Due to some weather that caused long flight delayes, we checked in around 1AM at the GF many years ago (About 11 years ago). No problems whatsoever checking in. We were able to use magical express, no problems there either.

No upgrade - but then again we’ve never had a room upgrade in 13+ trips to WDW.

It was super late but at least we knew our room would definitely be ready. :o

So it may have nothing to do with our check-in time, but we had a room with issues the only time we ever checked in that late. We were in our room probably around midnight. My then 2-year-old went into the bathroom and got stuck in there. There was a problem with the lock and the door was jammed. It was a stressful experience (he was little and I was worried), and it didn't help that it took a bit for a resort runner to get to us to assist at that hour. They managed to get the door open but didn't actually fix the problem that night. My husband got stuck in the bathroom another day and someone had to get him out, too.

The only issue with arriving that late is if you don't like the room you got and want to change to a different one there might not be any others available. I've found when I check in early in the morning I've had more options if I'd like a different area of the resort or something, but when I've checked in late our room is the only one we can have. It is interesting walking into an empty lobby that is normally packed with people.

So it may have nothing to do with our check-in time, but we had a room with issues the only time we ever checked in that late. We were in our room probably around midnight. My then 2-year-old went into the bathroom and got stuck in there. There was a problem with the lock and the door was jammed. It was a stressful experience (he was little and I was worried), and it didn't help that it took a bit for a resort runner to get to us to assist at that hour. They managed to get the door open but didn't actually fix the problem that night. My husband got stuck in the bathroom another day and someone had to get him out, too.
Which hotel was this at? I would have freaked out getting locked in the bathroom since I'm claustrophobic.

At that time of night you will simply have a pre-assigned ready room waiting for you that matches the room-type that you booked, if you have any specific room location preferences you would have had to already have communicated that in advance prior to your arrival. I would most definetly not expect any type of upgrades that late at night, most of the hotel will likely already be full with occupied rooms that checked in earlier in the day, if not totally full so options for room changes are in fact very limited late at night.

As far as check-in, staffing, etc. After midnight there is normally a small skeleton crew of overnight CMs, aka "Graveyard" shift CMs. The check-in process will be expedited and less extensive than it normally would be during the day, unless you ask questions the CM will simply just process your credit card, hand over your keys/welcome pack, and send you on your way. If you require bell services, you may have to wait as there is normally only one bell services CM on duty at that late hour.

We only had an issue once at the Poly. Flight was supposed to arrive around 10 p.m. It was delayed and then our car service didn’t show up, so we arrived after 1 in the morning. We had requested a room in Rapa Nui, and I know, a request is only a request, so I wasn’t surprised when we didn’t get it, but I was surprised when the CM looked at us and said, “I couldn’t give you the building you requested because you got here so late.” It’s fine if she didn’t have a room at Rapa Nui, but she made us feel like we were irresponsible for taking a delayed flight and having a no-show car service. Then, she sized up my son and said, “Shouldn’t he be in school?” (Actually, school was closed.) This was years ago, but we haven’t been back to the Poly since as that welcome formed a negative impression with us. I don’t think the issue was due so much to our lateness as to her attitude!

We only had an issue once at the Poly. Flight was supposed to arrive around 10 p.m. It was delayed and then our car service didn’t show up, so we arrived after 1 in the morning. We had requested a room in Rapa Nui, and I know, a request is only a request, so I wasn’t surprised when we didn’t get it, but I was surprised when the CM looked at us and said, “I couldn’t give you the building you requested because you got here so late.” It’s fine if she didn’t have a room at Rapa Nui, but she made us feel like we were irresponsible for taking a delayed flight and having a no-show car service. Then, she sized up my son and said, “Shouldn’t he be in school?” (Actually, school was closed.) This was years ago, but we haven’t been back to the Poly since as that welcome formed a negative impression with us. I don’t think the issue was due so much to our lateness as to her attitude!
That's awful. After the comment about school, I would have said "So you're his mother now? I need to see your supervisor."

I’m sorry you encountered a grumpy CM at the Poly. We did, too, last summer, and like you, it formed a very negative impression for us. My experience happened staying CL and was with a very rude CM who suggested that my DD and I had been trying to “sneak in” to the CL building. It had such a negative impact that I will never stay CL at the Poly again. In fact, I’d opt for not staying at the Poly at all, except my DD loves it.

I’m sorry you encountered a grumpy CM at the Poly. We did, too, last summer, and like you, it formed a very negative impression for us. My experience happened staying CL and was with a very rude CM who suggested that my DD and I had been trying to “sneak in” to the CL building. It had such a negative impact that I will never stay CL at the Poly again. In fact, I’d opt for not staying at the Poly at all, except my DD loves it.

They thought you were sneaking in? That’s so rude. Our surly girl was a real letdown because our previous stay at the Poly had been fabulous. However, there are more than enough lovely Disney properties for us to explore. We’ve gotten amazing service at the GF, WL, AKL, BCV and BWV.

Several years ago, before we moved to Florida, we arrived at the Swan around 12:30 a.m. due to a flight delay. DH and I were the only people at the check in desk and we received an upgrade to resort view.....very nice :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter