exterior colors

momz

DIS Veteran
We just purchased an investment property. This one will be a rental. The siding is a light gray and is in good shape. But the trim colors are drab. What would you do to improve the curb appeal of this home?

ISat8vjfvxq68e1000000000.jpg

Congrats on the purchase! I wish you the best!

Navy has really made an appearance as a contemporary color I see in new homes. It will help your place pop, since the homes on each side of yours are light as well.

I'd add shutters as well.
Take off the iron door. Looks dated.
No grill on front porch, they belong in the back (or at least in the driveway). A small bistro table and chair set would be a cute addition to the porch!

I'd so something with the window treatments as well. They add to the drab look of the front of the house. Either have tie backs to let in light, or switch to a more contemporary look.

Also, you need more landscaping. It will add so much to the curb appeal.
Add color and low maintenance pieces.

The first thing I noticed were both negative-

Bars on the door..automatically makes me think the neighbourhood is majorly unsafe

No plants/flowers/trees out front.

Navy would look great with grey.
I would do Navy trim around the windows, and door. Get rid of the storm door and keep the door white.
I wouldn't do shutters the one window is too big and too close to the porch overhang.
I would also paint the corner trim pieces on the house white.

I thought navy also. Just saw a home show on tv where they used navy and I loved how it looked.

Is that actually a more neutral light color, and not really a gray?
The roof and the foundation do look more true-gray.

I am NOT big on navy... Dark and non-descript, unless paired with another color for a 'pop'.

How about a lighter/brighter slate/teal blue? (not too bright... just not dark like navy)
Or, a burgundy/wine red, with the burgundy/wine red door? That is a really classic combo.

Last edited:
OP, take that picture into photoshop and play around with different trim colors so you can get an idea of what they will look like.

PS: It is a cute little rental house!
I don't mind the door... That is more design I think than 'bars'!!!
NOTE: That crooked, off center, gutter downspout might be something that you might want to consider re-working.
Shouldn't be too expensive.
It looks 'rigged'. Not a good look for the front of the house, and curb appeal.

I may be the odd guy out here, but it is a rental. It doesn't need major curb appeal - it just needs to look neat, tidy, and well maintained. I'd leave the dark gray trim as is or give it a fresh coat of a similar color. Paint the window frames, columns, and front door a nice, bright white. Update the storm door or not depending on its condition.

Tidy up the landscaping by edging the front walkway, take the grill off the porch, and put up nice blinds in the front windows.

I think that is what we are talking about here, a nice color for the door and trim, and maybe shutters.
Not a total reno....
Using white would work, (that is what I have here) but it wouldn't be any more work or expense than choosing a complementary color scheme.

I'd keep the paint neutral... it's a rental. Like a nice contrasting dark charcoal color.

Tenants will all have different tastes -- they can always choose to brighten up the front with a colorful bistro set or something.

If you want to add some color, I would plant low-maintenance, flowering perennials such as rhododendrons and azaleas along the front of the house. Something you can have mulched in the spring and forget about for the most part, and will add color throughout spring and summer, and give the house some curb appeal to potential renters.

Scoot the downspout over a little bit, and you're golden. We've had several rental properties -- clean and presentable without going nuts with personal style touches is the way to go. Tenants may add hanging baskets in the spring for an additional pop of color, but let them do that stuff.

Funny, we've been discussing updating our trim color and some kind of navy is tops on my list.

I like an admiral navy to go with the gray foundation. If you choose the right one, you can find a brighter toned navy to perk it up. Yes, it's a rental but that's a pretty cheap, quick way to perk it up.

haha. That's not bars on the door, that's a storm door. Crime is low on this street, thank goodness.

I like the Navy or Charcoal idea.

My initial thoughts were to paint the door and the trim over the porch the same color (just what color)? and the window and corner trim bright white like the columns. I know that it's not necessary as it's a rental. This happens to be the ugly house on the street, I would like to make it at least fit in.

The steps and porch have outdoor carpet on them, will probably leave it for now, it should make it less slick in the winter.

I'd go with a dark grey blue trim and a light green door. I like the storm door.

I'd keep the columns white. What I would do with the big trim over the portico is add a layer of trim at the top that is dark blue grey and keep the majority of it white. That way you would have small lines of the dark color around the windows and edges, big chunks of white (gutters, window casings, pillars, and portico trim) still visible to set the front entrance apart, and a pop of color at the door.

Really the door could be any color - salmon, yellow, crimson, etc. I just like green!

haha. That's not bars on the door, that's a storm door. Crime is low on this street, thank goodness.

I like the Navy or Charcoal idea.

My initial thoughts were to paint the door and the trim over the porch the same color (just what color)? and the window and corner trim bright white like the columns. I know that it's not necessary as it's a rental. This happens to be the ugly house on the street, I would like to make it at least fit in.
Go to the library. Look at a couple/few issues of HGTV Magazine. They have a monthly feature of exterior color combinations.

I saw this pic and loved it. We also have a gray house and have blue. Love this color for door. Frame out porch and steps with similar white railing, even more important for renting bc you don't want anyone falling. Fresh paint trim around door and window white. Also plant some plants in front.
painted-stairs-02.png

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter