Extra Magic Hours -are they being replaced?

Take a look at what I posted a few weeks ago:
https://www.disboards.com/posts/59932640/

The long and short of it, Disney is pushing more and more hard ticket events. They are great for Disney as they do not require Disney to build any new infrastructure, and they could literally charge you three times to spend a full day inside one park.

While they may not eliminate EMH, I think you will see a fairly consistent reduction in these "free" events, only to e replaced with more "paid" events.

Many of us may feel this is unfair, but the fact of the matter is, business is business, and from what we have all been seeing, their business is off the charts at the moment.

Actually it’s been around longer than that. It used to be called early entry and was when a park opened an hour and a half early. They did away with them and started doing character caravan which was character meet and greets at the resorts. People were not happy and started canceling their reservations. Disney quickly reversed that decision and started what is now known as EMH with morning and night events. I personally do not like the evening events because there are more people than there are doing the day. However, we do like the morning ones.

I do remember early entry mornings, although we never did them as we weren’t super early morning parks people at the time. We loved the E-ride nights and loved when they started evening EMH. We are total morning people now so morning EMH is more our speed these days.

ETA: There were many EMH nights where around 2:00/3:00am I couldn’t believe the parks were still open given how few people stuck around that late. My sister and I always ended the night at PotC, usually in our own boat, no one else around. Walking through an empty Adventureland in the middle of the night was kind of spooky and fun.

Last edited:

I believe DHS and AK only have AM EMH, only Epcot and MK have evening EMH. It does bother me that what was once a perk of staying on site, is now gone from 2 parks

I don't think that AK ever had evening EMH. It used to be that they were very rarely open much after dark. I don't recall them ever being open any later than 6-7 pm or so, at least when we visited, but now are open to 8, 9, or 10 pm.

I don't think that AK ever had evening EMH. It used to be that they were very rarely open much after dark. I don't recall them ever being open any later than 6-7 pm or so, at least when we visited, but now are open to 8, 9, or 10 pm.

Yes, AK had evening EMH. We often did it and I was very sad when they ended it and also started closing so early - 5pm on some days.

AK had PM EMH nightly for a few months after Pandora opened (11pm-1am). I know that's recent, but no reason they can't have PM EMH again.

With fewer and fewer onsite perks (including dwindling EMH) we're actually considering staying offsite at a cheaper, nicer hotel for our next trip. Wonder if anyone else feels that way? Why would I pay high prices, pay for resort parking, and have no real benefits of staying onsite?

even earlier than this, there were E-ticket nights. $10, ten top attractions in MK, three hours, either 5,000 or 10,000 tickets max.
E-Ride nights was the BEST. we only got to do it one year, didn’t know about it in advance, just saw the card about it at the resort and bought tickets.

With fewer and fewer onsite perks (including dwindling EMH) we're actually considering staying offsite at a cheaper, nicer hotel for our next trip. Wonder if anyone else feels that way? Why would I pay high prices, pay for resort parking, and have no real benefits of staying onsite?
If you get a good resort discount (like military), and take DME instead of renting a car (so no parking fees), disney resorts work out about the same as off site, maybe even a little cheaper. Ans you get the 60 FP.

If you get a good resort discount (like military), and take DME instead of renting a car (so no parking fees), disney resorts work out about the same as off site, maybe even a little cheaper. Ans you get the 60 FP.
We were there last week and stayed at a Hampton inn 5 miles away. $64 a night with hot breakfast and free parking . MUCH nicer than a value at about half the price. As good as a moderate. If it was swimming weather, Disney has better pools.
We stay offsite often and have much better rooms and save hundreds.

We were there last week and stayed at a Hampton inn 5 miles away. $64 a night with hot breakfast and free parking . MUCH nicer than a value at about half the price. As good as a moderate. If it was swimming weather, Disney has better pools.
We stay offsite often and have much better rooms and save hundreds.
For July 4rh week we're paying $156/night (avg) at CBR
If we were staying off site, we'd need to rent a minivan (large family with luggage). Quick orbitz search for that week: $72.day at Budget
Parking: $25/day

Therefore, in order to save money, I'd need an offsite hotel for under $59/night

July 4th week at the Hampton Inn and Suites Orlando-South Lake Buena Vista:
$140/night. And that's with the military family rate.

Total costs:
Hampton + rental car + parking: $237
CBR: 156

I would say that the free breakfast at the Hampton is not worth $81 (even for a family of 5).

So, by staying at CBR July 4th week, I am (vs. staying at this Hampton):
1. Saving money
2. Convenience of DME- especially skipping baggage claim
3. Better resort/pool
4. Disney transport to parks (some would not consider this a "pro" but we do)
5. 60 day FP and EMH (whatever there is)

It's amazing how much great information there is out there. Thanks to the several people who shared the history of early entry and EMH.

Personally, coming from the west coast, I always hope for more evening EMH, as the idea of waking up early (especially the first few days on vacation) is a pretty rough one, and I'm usually just getting my second wind of energy when the parks start to close.

It's true that Disney has no trouble filling its hotel rooms, but EMH also helps them support higher hotel prices. They can charge more for rooms when the demand is greater. And if EMH generates more demand for hotel rooms then they can keep increasing the rates. Of course, that also means two things:

(1) if demand for EMH is driving up room prices, then that means everyone who is staying on-site is indirectly paying for EMH out of their increased hotel bill
(2) there are other things coming next year that will also drive up the demand for on-site rooms, which maybe means EMH isn't as important of a strategy

Just got back from 10 days at WDW. On the day we left, 3 parks had extra special events (Christmas party, early entry or late hours (can't remember which). The only park that day that did not have a special event was Epcot. When the MK had early open and late nights (one time on same day), they were slammed! I mean not able to walk, let alone ride, anything! I felt so sorry for the people who only had that day to go to MK. It was not fun at all. The only reason we were there one evening, was we had arrived at 2pm and went to MK for dinner reservation and a couple of fp's. Otherwise, no way would I do that again.
While we were there, there were of course, many MMCP evenings. The other parks had a lot of EMH's or events too. We avoided them like the plague and had a good time with some planning. At MK, while everyone else headed to fantasyland and 7DMT, we went to an almost empty frontierland and rode BTMRR twice in a row, and walk on for POC. The other areas were very busy.

So, yes, I think there are a lot more of these extra paid events. I guess this time of year it is to be expected? but we won't be here at this time of year again.

I’m very disappointed, being a night owl, we never make the am EMH put PM ones were great for us, love the parks at night and a lot of the younger children had gone to bed, so we found it less crowded. I can only see EMH at night for Epcot and MK when we go late May. When AK had them it was Fab.
For me it’s one of the best perks of staying on site as you can spend time in the resort in the afternoon and then head out refreshed in the evening. I have no intention of paying the ridiculous amount for a family of four to have what was previously a free perk. I’m a DVC member and this has left a bitter taste in my mouth as Disney is charging more and more for every little thing they can squeeze out of us.
I do remember early entry mornings, although we never did them as we weren’t super early morning parks people at the time. We loved the E-ride nights and loved when they started evening EMH. We are total morning people now so morning EMH is more our speed these days.

ETA: There were many EMH nights where around 2:00/3:00am I couldn’t believe the parks were still open given how few people stuck around that late. My sister and I always ended the night at PotC, usually in our own boat, no one else around. Walking through an empty Adventureland in the middle of the night was kind of spooky and fun.
The bold pretty much sums up why it stopped.
Of course, low crowds are why those to liked it want it around. But that's also a major reason why it's gone. It was poorly attended and not cost effective to run.

Yes. I think EMH is being replaced with expensive hard ticket events. These events are making Rope Drop more crowded and the 4:00 to 7:00pm MVMCP main street crowds INSANE. We witnessed this first hand last week.
After 16 yearly visits we are not going back for awhile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter