Extra Magic Hours -are they being replaced?

The #1 onsite perk right now is 60 day FP.

Nut that is available offsite now too.

If you get a good resort discount (like military), and take DME instead of renting a car (so no parking fees), disney resorts work out about the same as off site, maybe even a little cheaper. Ans you get the 60 FP.

Works offsite too, better rooms, lower cost.

For July 4rh week we're paying $156/night (avg) at CBR
If we were staying off site, we'd need to rent a minivan (large family with luggage). Quick orbitz search for that week: $72.day at Budget
Parking: $25/day

Therefore, in order to save money, I'd need an offsite hotel for under $59/night

July 4th week at the Hampton Inn and Suites Orlando-South Lake Buena Vista:
$140/night. And that's with the military family rate.

Total costs:
Hampton + rental car + parking: $237
CBR: 156

I would say that the free breakfast at the Hampton is not worth $81 (even for a family of 5).

So, by staying at CBR July 4th week, I am (vs. staying at this Hampton):
1. Saving money
2. Convenience of DME- especially skipping baggage claim
3. Better resort/pool
4. Disney transport to parks (some would not consider this a "pro" but we do)
5. 60 day FP and EMH (whatever there is)

We drive down, so you'd have to add the flight costs and somehow come out below what we'd pay.

We don't use a military rate, so we get a much better deal offsite.

We don't use the pools (especially in the summer when they are the temperature of a hot bath in 110'F and high humidity)

And sadly, they've gutted CBR so it's only a fraction of what it used to be, crammed into a smaller space, and will have an ugly gondola over part of it, and a towering hotel (nevermind the non-Disney one that overshadows it) cutting off one end. Glad you got a pretty good rate - but to me, it's not worth even $156.00 a night.

We've never stayed offsite as a family before, but with resort prices getting ridiculously high for under-themed rooms, and parking fees, there's really no need to stay onsite to get the best of WDW. We're looking at a bunch of options for our next big family trip, but I'm thinking Disney is going to be out about $3000 of our money next time.

I stayed off site for my late October stay. I paid an average of $101 per night at this offsite resort and I didn't have to pay for parking or resort fees. I had my car but if I didn't drive I would definitely Lyft back and forth to the parks.

The resort I stayed at was 5 mins away from Disney property on Palm Parkway. It was way nicer than a Value or a Mod as it had a kitchen, livingroom and 2 queen beds, pool, fitness center and laundry facilities, free breakfast and free happy hour. My suite off site was WAY cheaper than a Disney moderate room. The housekeeping in my offsite room was spotless and there was no one barging in at random times for "room checks".

I got all the FP I wanted at the parks because I have an AP and I could book 30 days out.

Disney is eroding the resort guest experience by eliminating EMH and decreasing the quality of room cleanliness. The random, on demand room inspections aren't helping either and the parking fee was just another unwarranted cash grab by Disney.

People should definitely consider staying off site, especially since the perks of the onsite experience are being eliminated or downgraded. The laminate floors at Pop Century are disgustingly dirty and the other Value hotels are going to be refurbed in that similar style. So what are you paying premium prices for? Dirty Floors, poor housekeeping, random room inspections, parking fees, long bus lines, over packed buses and finally...Disney MAGIC! Umm no thanks.

When it's up to me where I stay, I will be staying off site. Your mileage may vary.

~NM

I stayed off site for my late October stay. I paid an average of $101 per night at this offsite resort and I didn't have to pay for parking or resort fees. I had my car but if I didn't drive I would definitely Lyft back and forth to the parks.

The resort I stayed at was 5 mins away from Disney property on Palm Parkway. It was way nicer than a Value or a Mod as it had a kitchen, livingroom and 2 queen beds, pool, fitness center and laundry facilities, free breakfast and free happy hour. My suite off site was WAY cheaper than a Disney moderate room. The housekeeping in my offsite room was spotless and there was no one barging in at random times for "room checks".

I got all the FP I wanted at the parks because I have an AP and I could book 30 days out.

Disney is eroding the resort guest experience by eliminating EMH and decreasing the quality of room cleanliness. The random, on demand room inspections aren't helping either and the parking fee was just another unwarranted cash grab by Disney.

People should definitely consider staying off site, especially since the perks of the onsite experience are being eliminated or downgraded. The laminate floors at Pop Century are disgustingly dirty and the other Value hotels are going to be refurbed in that similar style. So what are you paying premium prices for? Dirty Floors, poor housekeeping, random room inspections, parking fees, long bus lines, over packed buses and finally...Disney MAGIC! Umm no thanks.

When it's up to me where I stay, I will be staying off site. Your mileage may vary.

~NM
We just stayed at a non Disney resort with solid surface floors (Marriott)
And daily demand room inspections are spreading. Lowes properties just started them
So some of those things you hate are going to be unavoidable thanks to changes in the industry
Thankfully though there are plenty of choices. You hate on site so get to stay somewhere else
I hate off site and get to stay on.
Beauty of our free will

One and only request to please keep this thread on topic as it relates to OP’s question/observation regarding trends in Extra Magic Hours - a topic relevant to the Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board. There are plenty of other threads and forums around the DIS to discuss resort accommodation options and room checks.

Thank you.

Sorry :(

One and only request to please keep this thread on topic as it relates to OP’s question/observation regarding trends in Extra Magic Hours - a topic relevant to the Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board. There are plenty of other threads and forums around the DIS to discuss resort accommodation options and room checks.

Thank you.

We went during Easter 2016 and loved our trip but wished we had stayed onsite for the EMH; we thought the break from crowds would have been nice. So Easter 2017 we stayed onsite at a moderate and it was awesome. Even though it was Easter we found the crowds easily manageable with the daily onsite EMH at MK.

Enter Easter 2018. No EMH at MK all week other than the one Friday (this would have been 8 days of EMH in 2017 at MK). Yes the mornings were ok, but we stayed at a deluxe resort this time and outside of very early morning the crowds were totally different (more intense!) at the parks than our 2017 stay. I spent seriously almost every single bus ride to AKL with a toddler in my arms because I was afraid she'd be trampled if I let her stand (yes, it was that crowded). We still had fun but we ended up spending way more time at our (fortunately awesome) resort than we'd planned.

In addition, more rides were closed during EMH in my opinion. Kilimanjaro safaris wasn't running until the park opened for example. So during EMH at AK, we rode Navi, triceratop spin, and then had 40 min to wait for everything to open (kids with us under 40" so other rides weren't an option). It was even difficult trying to find a place that served a half decent breakfast.

The lack of EMH is 100% why we are opting to stay offsite this year. It's also the reason we aren't bothering with Easter this year (no EMH means no reprieve from the crowds). Without them Disney simply cannot compete for the benefits of an offsite stay for us.

PM emh question: How do they make sure that it’s only resort guests? Do you show your room key at the rides? I’ve only done the AM ones before.

I've been saying this too - the ticket night events are totally replacing evening EMH.

We are NOT morning people and NEVER do AM EMH. Ever. Kill me.

But I totally love late night EMH. I have so many good memories of MK at 2 or 3 in the morning. (Like one of the previous posters - I too would ride Pirates a bunch of times over and over with no wait - man, those were good times!)

Sorry, but I don't want to pay more just to stay in a park longer. I bought in to DVC. I come every year. I spend money at Disney. I feel like they gotta at least keep something in it that's NOT one more extra expense. I am really disappointed in the way Disney is going with this. Sigh...

When we went this past June, we weren't really as impressed with EMH as we have been in the past. We still like the morning EMH, but the night... well, everyone else can get in line at 8:59, so the lines didn't really slow down until an hour after evening EMH had started. It didn't seem to be as much as a perk as in past years.

When we went this past June, we weren't really as impressed with EMH as we have been in the past. We still like the morning EMH, but the night... well, everyone else can get in line at 8:59, so the lines didn't really slow down until an hour after evening EMH had started. It didn't seem to be as much as a perk as in past years.

That's why the evening EMH's were better when they were long. That time was needed to clear out the non-resort guests before you got good access to the popular rides. Once they shortened them there became very little time in the EMH that it had only resort guests around if it ever did completely clear.

That's why the evening EMH's were better when they were long. That time was needed to clear out the non-resort guests before you got good access to the popular rides. Once they shortened them there became very little time in the EMH that it had only resort guests around if it ever did completely clear.

This is probably also why I'm not planning to participate in one of the after hours events. We had considered it because our next trip will be during busy Spring Break. But again, if regular guests are still cramming up the ride lines an hour or more after the event starts, what's the point? To pay $100 for 2 hours?! That seems crazy!

Guess it just depends on when you go. We just did EMH at MK till 2am.

As I understand night EMH is always 2 hours now so if it was until 2am then the park closed to regular guests on that day at midnight? Or did they have a longer one on the night you went?

It used to be 3 hours and it used to be very consistent with at least 1 night a week at every park and more than that during busy times.

As I understand night EMH is always 2 hours now so if it was until 2am then the park closed to regular guests on that day at midnight? Or did they have a longer one on the night you went?

It used to be 3 hours and it used to be very consistent with at least 1 night a week at every park and more than that during busy times.
It was 2 hours. Frankly it was so empty there's no way it was cost effective when they go that late. And this was what was otherwise one of the busiest days of the year. During regular operations the park was wall to wall people

I've been to others that ended well before that and they had vastly more guests
The very thing that makes these late EMH are what has nearly killed them.

It was 2 hours. Frankly it was so empty there's no way it was cost effective when they go that late. And this was what was otherwise one of the busiest days of the year. During regular operations the park was wall to wall people

I've been to others that ended well before that and they had vastly more guests
The very thing that makes these late EMH are what has nearly killed them.

I'd say that the point of them was a perk for onsite guests to have easier access to attractions. Now it just gives you longer to stay - might be a minor difference but to those who enjoyed the perk it's a big one. 2AM in a park is just going to be lower head counts - that should be expected, not mean that they aren't a benefit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter