Face mask policy & children with autism

I posted instructions in the "mask for a beard*" thread on the Community forum, how to turn a gaiter and elastic into a(n admittedly, large) acceptable face mask.

*not the exact thread title; search for beard in titles only, and it should come up

I was at AK today. Masks are required except at Relaxation Stations. One is at Pizzafari and the other between Africa and Asia.

My son did great. In fact, I didn’t hear anyone complain about having to wear a mask. I think we were all so happy to get back to Disney! Everyone was conscientious about social distancing!

DAS is available, but he didn’t need it. Having groups of people separated, I think, helped with ds’ anxiety. He’s very rules oriented and never questioned having to wear a mask. And he had a Baby Yoda one so that may have helped.

We had a great experience today! We only stayed 3 hours, 8am to 11am.

I cannot wear a "typical" mask. I was at DS Monday with one giving it a try. I had to pull it away from my mouth about every other breath. After a bit, inside of a store where heat wasn't a factor, even pulling it away to get a breath of air wasn't working and my hands began to shake. We left at that point so that I could breath. I found some super thin fabric, almost gauze consistency, and made my own Monday night with a single layer. Went to MK Tuesday as a CM guest, and was able to breath pretty much all day with it. The lightness of the fabric made it so that air could easily pass thru, and it wasn't so much of a sensory issue either since it was light where it touched my face. Fabric store had several colors and a few with cute patterns as well. Not sure about regular glasses, but it didn't fog up my sunglasses.

Just a potential option that satisfies the mask requirement.

I cannot wear a "typical" mask. I was at DS Monday with one giving it a try. I had to pull it away from my mouth about every other breath. After a bit, inside of a store where heat wasn't a factor, even pulling it away to get a breath of air wasn't working and my hands began to shake. We left at that point so that I could breath. I found some super thin fabric, almost gauze consistency, and made my own Monday night with a single layer. Went to MK Tuesday as a CM guest, and was able to breath pretty much all day with it. The lightness of the fabric made it so that air could easily pass thru, and it wasn't so much of a sensory issue either since it was light where it touched my face. Fabric store had several colors and a few with cute patterns as well. Not sure about regular glasses, but it didn't fog up my sunglasses.

If air passes through it so easily is it really doing its job? Can you see light through it? If so, it's not working.

Hi, lovethattink.

I am so very happy that your son did great.

I am happy that you and your son were able to visit WDW again and have a magical time at MK.

And that your son felt comfortable not needing to use DAS.

I love the Yoda mask.

I am happy that you and your son were able to visit WDW again and have a magical time at MK.

Thank you for your observations.

I am so happy for you.

I was at AK today. Masks are required except at Relaxation Stations. One is at Pizzafari and the other between Africa and Asia.

My son did great. In fact, I didn’t hear anyone complain about having to wear a mask. I think we were all so happy to get back to Disney! Everyone was conscientious about social distancing!

DAS is available, but he didn’t need it. Having groups of people separated, I think, helped with ds’ anxiety. He’s very rules oriented and never questioned having to wear a mask. And he had a Baby Yoda one so that may have helped.

We had a great experience today! We only stayed 3 hours, 8am to 11am.

The mask satisfies the requirement while allowing me to breath. It also satisfied every CM I saw at the park Tuesday. And I saw a lot. So yes, it worked. The light weight fabric may help the OP, or others.
It might help you but most likely it would spread COVID to everyone around. The purpose of your mask is to catch your droplets so you don’t make people sick.

Unfortunately single-layer masks do not meet Disney's requirements.
Disney World updated their face coverings requirements today. From this link:
Face Coverings

Face coverings are required for all Guests (ages 2 and up) and Cast Members. Please bring your own face coverings and wear them at all times, except when dining or swimming.

All face coverings (whether disposable or reusable) must:
  • Be made with at least two layers of breathable material
  • Fully cover the nose and mouth and secure under the chin
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops and allow the Guest to remain hands-free

At this time, based on guidance from health authorities, neck gaiters and open-chin triangle bandanas are not acceptable face coverings.

Costume masks are also not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn, in alignment with our existing rules.

The use of face coverings is not a substitute for physical distancing.

The mask satisfies the requirement while allowing me to breath. It also satisfied every CM I saw at the park Tuesday. And I saw a lot. So yes, it worked. The light weight fabric may help the OP, or others.

If it looks like a mask, it will satisfy the Cast Members.

Mask efficiency is another story. The mask as you describe it does not protect you, or the others. It's just the same as if you were not wearing any mask at all.
Just because it looks like a mask, does not make it a "mask" (in the protective sense)
If you will, it's like wearing a T-shirt with a fake seatbelt printed on it. It will satisfy most cops passing by, but will not do any good if you crash.

I won't go into the great mask debate, but just offer some perspective from my own standpoint

As part of my disabilities, I have respiratory issues. I cannot wear any kind of mask for more than 20 minutes without developing strong headaches, and seeing black spots, and after 45 I have nausea, feel very dizzy, and am very close to passing out.

I fully understand I'm what you could call "frail", and I know I'm "at risk" if exposed to covid. Probably would send me to ICU with a tube down my throat.

That's the reason why I won't be visiting any disney parks. I live in France and Disneyland Paris will reopen in a few days. I'll stay at home and wait until it's "safe" again. (and the pandemic is under control here, when it's rampant, and is still ramping up in FL. ) and I cancelled my august WDW trip.

I'm not giving anyone a lecture, or even advice here. Just sharing my viewpoint (namely : I can't breathe with masks, it means I'm not fit enough, so I won't go until masks are no longer a requirement)

Not being able to use a mask is not like not being able to cope with lines.
It's more like not meeting the height restrictions for a ride.
I would liken some DIY "easy to breath through" masks to putting soles into kids shoes so that they're tall enough. Hope this won't offend anyone here though. But I would certainly not advise anyone to sacrifice filtration to make it easier to breathe.
Filtration is the sole purpose the masks are required for. Don't sacrifice it, by, basically, poking thousands of small holes into the fabric ... (because those light fabric are basically ... holes ...all of which big enough to let those droplets go through)

Last edited:
Wearing a mask that will do the job it is intended to do takes practice. Don't throw a mask on for the first time, and think you will spend hours out and about. It probably won't work. Wear a mask around the house for a bit, where it doesn't matter if you have to stop after 5 minutes and take it off.

As for making one that looks ok, but doesn't keep anyone else around you safe. Wow.:sad2: I get people want to go out and about and enjoy their lives, but they shouldn't do so at the expense of others. If it is so thin it isn't catching your droplets, you have no business wearing it around others. You may as well say your enjoyment of the parks is more important than other people's health.

It might help you but most likely it would spread COVID to everyone around. The purpose of your mask is to catch your droplets so you don’t make people sick.

This thread is not for debating masks or promoting propaganda, but to offer ideas of options that still meet Disney's requirements. Thin material is an option. My material isn't so thin that it is obviously one layer, nor is it see thru. The weave is almost as tight as regular cotton, but the weight is more gauze like. I definitely saw gaitors that were thinner, practically see thru when stretched tightly across a face. Two layers may be breathable for me still. Since they changed the rule, I will try a two layer so that I can meet requirements.

One of the ones my hubby brought was made out of canvas, so super thick material, but would now not satisfy requirements because it was only one layer. He did change to a lighter fabric one later in the day as the canvas one was too hot. The one he switched to was of the same light material, but with pleats, so "almost" two layers. We will adjust accordingly before going back later this month.

Gaitors, no gaitors, one layer, two layers, ADA exceptions, no ADA, face shields, recommended, required, all the time vs. just inside buildings, industrial strength hospital grade, whatever the rules are will never make sense and never make everyone happy. If you are in a high risk category, or just don't want to catch it, the efficacy of my mask should be the least of your worries about spending a day at a theme park. Both sides can point to data, so let's just not go there and stick to offering options that meet the current rules.

If you are in a high risk category, or just don't want to catch it, the efficacy of my mask should be the least of your worries about spending a day at a theme park.
may I ask, is a theme park the only place you go and the only place you wear this scarf?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter