• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Faith, hope, trust, and Pixie Dust!

A friend sent me this thread and I had to add:
I'm a CM at WDW and was working with the Princess' in their room in toon town. It was a bad day for me as I had just put my dog Katie (aka Moose), down. There was a young man with MAW who came into my room and stopped to visit with Princess Aurora. You could just tell he was so excited (he was non-verbal), they were taking pictures and Aurora was just wonderful. His mother came up to me and told me it was his first smile in years. I was crying my eyes out, after trying not to all day. That's when I knew that WDW was such a special place. Also, last nite, I received a call from a mom who's son is autistic and he wanted to call for the wake up call. She told me what time, not knowing what he was going to say and well, I let my call time be forgotten, I was able to hold a wonderful conversation with this young man for a few extra minutes that brought me to tears last nite. I told him I would have Mickey call him in the morning to wake him up. He was pretty excited about that. It's so wonderful to be able to make magic behind the scenes.

Keep the wonderful stories going. For all the bad I hear about, this makes me feel so good to be a CM.

Lynn
Moosysmom

I personally feel it is you CMs that make Disney the most magical. Yes the theming and the rides and so on are fantastic, but it is you CMs that give Disney the magic. Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication.:goodvibes

All I can say so far is :thumbsup2 :goodvibes :) :lovestruc :cutie: :cloud9: :hug: :cheer2: :flower3:

My youngest DD who has disabilities is 23 and has been to WDW at least once for every year of her life (sometimes twice!). We've had many magical moments over the years and it's hard to pick one to post - I'll pick an early one and let other people post some more stories before I post another.

We went to WDW for the first time when my youngest DD was 11 months old. She was a cute baby with dimples and smiles for everyone - enticing strangers to come just to interact with her. In a place filled with small children, that was a pretty special skill!
People consistently said how cute she was (which was nice) and guessed her correct age, but usually asked how premature she had been (which was not nice and really made me think, since she had been a tiny girl at birth, but was actually 2 weeks late).
Our second trip, when youngest DD was about 32 months old was a low point in my life.
Between the 2 trips, we had gotten a diagnosis of Cerebral Palsy with so much spasticity that at her first orthopedic evaluation, the doctor wanted to perform surgery right away (at 20 months) because her hips were so tight he was sure the muscles would pull the leg bones out of her hip sockets. That just about scared us out of our wits.:scared1:
Luckily, later in the team meeting that day, we saw the neurologist who read his notes and called him back in to see DD, who at that time was hypotonic (loose like a rag doll). Both doctors said they had never seen a child with so much variation in muscle tone before. Because of that sort of thing, no one could give us a very good idea of what the future would bring.
The neurologist thought that DD was probably 'normal' in her cognitive development, but we had Early Childhood teachers who kept working on things DD had mastered months before. They gave us a very different picture of what the future might be.

As we set out on our 2nd trip to WDW, we had:
  • acquired a wheelchair that weighed quite a bit more than the tiny little girl who sat in it.
  • come to the realization that if DD spoke, she would probably be very difficult to understand because of how her CP affected the muscles of her mouth, tongue and throat.
  • been told to find a new provider by the family day care provider who had taken care of DD since she was 4 months old (she said she didn't want to "get attached to DD and then maybe she would die" - to be fair, she had a DD with Cystic Fibrosis and was very overwhelmed with her care).
  • gotten negative reports from the Early Childhood teachers (although it was hard to take them seriously when they spent their time chasing my crawling DD around, trying to get her to grab a washcloth off a toy and go "Ohh" when she regularly crawled over to a cabinet in the kitchen, opened the door and looked over the pictures on the packages of cookies and crackers before deciding which one to tear open for the food inside).
  • been taught a list of stretching and flexibility exercises by her OT and PT (who were great). We had to somehow fit those into our day of touring

Our first day was MK and we expected wonderful things there. During our first trip at 11 months, DD was a good baby, quiet, smiley and observant. We figured at 2 1/2 she would love MK with all the music and colors and activity.:banana:

Boy, were we wrong.:sad2:
She hated everything.
Snow White's Scary Adventures scared my oldest DD, so of course, youngest DD was scared too.
She didn't like the motion of things like Dumbo.
She didn't like the drop in Pirates (although she didn't mind the dark). She didn't like the music and spent the ride with her thumb in her mouth to comfort herself (something we saw a lot of).
The worst was at Small World, where she not only had her thumb in her mouth, but also somehow arranged her arms so that she could cover her eyes and ears at the same time as she sucked her thumb - plus, she twirled her hair in her fingers. (Although, I had to admire the mastery of her fine motor deficits it took for her to do that!):laughing:
I felt very depressed, thinking my DD did not even have the attention needed for the short things aimed at entertaining children - how would she get along in life?
We left MK feeling low and expected the same for our visit to Epcot. In fact, we expected worse, because Epcot had much longer rides, aimed at older kids and adults.

But, we were soooooo wrong.:)

Our first ride was Spaceship Earth and she not only didn't suck her thumb, she paid attention to what was happening in the ride. It seemed like the ride car turning to face each scene, with the rest of the surroundings dark was much easier for her than the
constant and varying STIMULATION of the MK was.
When we got to the 'top' of the globe at Spaceship Earth and the song, Tomorrow's Child began, I started bawling :sad1: (this version has the song, but the pictures and narration are from the next version of the attraction).

It seemed like everything about that song was being sung just for me. The music was beautiful and the words were hopeful. That song made me feel like there was a bright future for my youngest DD that had not been there the day before.

Over and over that day at Epcot, we saw glimpses of the potential DD had. The child who did not have the attention for the short things at MK was thoroughly enjoying the long attractions at Ecpot.
Many of the attractions that gave us hope that day are gone, only entries on pages like WaltDatedWorld. and on old youtube videos.
Most of the things we saw that day that gave us such hope no longer exist:
Even now, as I am watching youtube videos to find ones to post, youngest DD is listening in the other room, occasionally laughing or signing something to me.
We left our second trip to WDW with precious little sparks of hope and imagination.
I have bittersweet memories of our second WDW trip; the euphoria and hope of that trip were replaced with not so positive progress, but progress nevertheless. Our DD's present is not as bright as her future looked on that long ago trip, but she has surpassed a lot of the bad prognosis we were given. She is most of the time happy, knows what she wants and although she doesn't have spoken language, she uses her 'body language' in very ingenious and effective ways.
Sometimes our world gets us down and we really, REALLY,REALLY need our dose of Disney Magic.:wizard:

That's why we keep going back.

:woohoo: :flower3: :lovestruc

I totally agree that it is the CMs who make the real magic of Disney. I appreciate the corporate leaderships commitment to quality customer service (the best in the world), but when it comes right down to it, it is the CM who sets aside their aches and pains, both physical and emotional, overlooks staff conflicts and weather and SMILES a genuine smile that brightens up the place. The choices that CMs make to show that little extra caring and help transform the experience for everyone.

One of the biggest splashes of magic that I observed was when CMs came to Give Kids the World Village to see the Wish Trip Kids on their own turf. We were eating breakfast in the Ginger Bread House one morning when I saw Minnie and Mickey walking past the window. I told my daughter (5 at the time) and she said, "You're Kidding!" Her face lit up like the sun and she jumped up and RAN out to meet them. I didn't realize she could run that fast.

Later in the week, at the GKTW Christmas Party (which happens weekly there) a group of CMs came dressed as elves, a Christmas Tree, a Reindeer, etc. for a Christmas Parade. They stopped and talked to my DD for quite a while. She was enthralled. We had met Jack Sparrow the day before. They told us all about him and that he was their friend. Apparently, he stays in character even on the bus ride from WDW to his home each night.

All of the characters at WDW made a special effort to reach out to our little Wish Trip Girl.

Thanks CM's

Bill:cheer2:

Beautiful, beautiful stories - here's hoping our trip works out, too.

I have confidence in my ASD son (just turned 13). He's alert, bright, verbal (about 5-6 yr. old level) and loves to see and explore new places. He has always loved the Disney planning videos and is going through our old photo albums everyday (we took them out to show the kids). I always ask him if he wants to go to Disney World after Christmas and he always tells me yes.

I'm hoping for magic for his little sister. She always feels that he gets "special" treatment because of his disability, even though we've tried to be as normal about it as we can. I want her to feel just as special, so I hope if DS gets special attention, that his sister is included! She's had to give up a lot because of him, and I don't apologize or agree that she's missing anything, but on the other hand, I want her to finally get to feel like to a regular family as much as possible.

It's the first trip for both, and for us as a family. :cloud9:

Here's hoping a little pixie dust comes out way!

We are first timers going in August.My daughter was granted a Make a Wish.Even though we still have a few weeks to go we have experienced magic already.Some members from this board(the DISboutiquers) are sending my kids custom disney outfits for our trip.I am constantly amazed that total strangers are helping spread the pixi dust just because they believe in the magic.The whole concept of Disney is sheer magic and I am forever hooked.

I love this thread - all the stories are great.

Sharadoc - I'm sure that the Pixie Dust will fall on both your children. If you think your daughter would like it, I'm going DL next month and I'd love to start the Pixie Dust and send her a special "Looking forward to seeing you" postcard or something like that. PM me if you'd be interested.

Beautiful, beautiful stories - here's hoping our trip works out, too.

I have confidence in my ASD son (just turned 13). He's alert, bright, verbal (about 5-6 yr. old level) and loves to see and explore new places. He has always loved the Disney planning videos and is going through our old photo albums everyday (we took them out to show the kids). I always ask him if he wants to go to Disney World after Christmas and he always tells me yes.

I'm hoping for magic for his little sister. She always feels that he gets "special" treatment because of his disability, even though we've tried to be as normal about it as we can. I want her to feel just as special, so I hope if DS gets special attention, that his sister is included! She's had to give up a lot because of him, and I don't apologize or agree that she's missing anything, but on the other hand, I want her to finally get to feel like to a regular family as much as possible.

It's the first trip for both, and for us as a family. :cloud9:

Here's hoping a little pixie dust comes out way!

I am not too sure how things will be for a sibling when it is not a Wish Trip (assuming your trip is not from a Wish Granting Org.). The GAC should cover special treatment for the whole group according to the terms of the GAC. It seems like CMs would understand your daughter's situation and would cater to her as well, in giving her attention and such.

With Wish Trip Kids, the siblings are treated really well too, especially at GKTW.

It might be a good idea to see if Smatterchu will send postcards from WDW to both kids. If she can't, try someone on the Pay if forward thread. Information about that it in my Wish Trip Planning Tips thread in my signature.

Bill

We'll be in the World mid-August and would be delighted to send postcards to any children. :)

Thanks for all the nice wishes folks.

When I said that I hope his sister would be included, I don't expect "special" treatment at all. What I mean is that if a character spends any extra time or attention to my son, that my daugher would also be included. We're planning to make our own magic as much as possible and the only true expectations we have is that our family has fun (and NO meltdowns - from EITHER of them!)

Thanks again all,

please keep the stories coming, i've enjoyed reading them and hopefully after we get back from our trip in nov i'll have some to share too.

becca

Thanks for all the nice wishes folks.

When I said that I hope his sister would be included, I don't expect "special" treatment at all. What I mean is that if a character spends any extra time or attention to my son, that my daugher would also be included. We're planning to make our own magic as much as possible and the only true expectations we have is that our family has fun (and NO meltdowns - from EITHER of them!)

Thanks again all,

When we have gone with our son and daughter, becuase of my son being autistic when they were aware of it and spent extra time andattention w/ him they also gave it to my daughter. I don't think your daughter will feel left out from my experience.

please keep the stories coming, i've enjoyed reading them and hopefully after we get back from our trip in nov i'll have some to share too.

becca

Okey-dokey! I've got another one........

Below is a picture of the tray that goes on my daughter's wheelchair. We take it on every trip to WDW. With the exception of a few Tinkerbell stickers that I purchased myself, the rest were given to her over the years by various CMs and even park guests.

Some memorable ones are the "Mickey Junior Security" sticker given to us by a Disney Security guard who stopped us walking down Main St. in MK; a Mickey head sticker w/ Mexico's colors given to us by a CM in the Mexico pavillion at Epcot who followed us up the ramp from the boat ride to be able to place the sticker on himself. He was so sweet! Barely spoke English but he took the time to hold the sticker up to my DD to show it to her, then stuck it on her tray; and the DVC mickey resort sticker given to us by a little girl that rode the bus with us from the BW to MK one day. She and her family waited at the bus stop for my DD to come down the lift of the bus and she told us she wanted to add to my DD's collection.:cutie:

So many CMs will just stop us while we're walking to see if they can come up with a sticker we don't yet have; and I have been told we have some stickers that are hardly ever seen anymore. I really like having her tray on her chair when we're at Disney - it helps to make her so much more approachable!

DSC02118.jpg

Camster,
I was thinking about leaving Jonah's tray at home but after seeing your daughter's, i think i've changed mind. That is such a neat souvenir. I hope you don't mind us copying you.

becca

Love the tray. That is really cool:lovestruc

I'll give another story - actually it's from Mexico again.
My DD used to love the Mexico ride before it was renovated (it now has a Donald Duck in Latin America theme).
Well, anyone, one trip she and I had taken an afternoon just by ourselves while her dad and older sister made an "all 4 parks in one afternoon" run.
I let DD decide where we would go and one of the first places she chose was Mexico. There was hardly anyone on it and halfway thru the ride she started signing at me to ask if she could ride again. I said we could ask the CM when we came around to the unload area, if no one else was waiting. :woohoo:

No one was, so we asked and were able to go again. When we got to the end, DD signed to the CM to ask if she could go a third time. No one was waiting, so we went a third time. When we came back again, the CM asked DD's name and asked if she wanted to go again.:banana:

DD nodded her head ::yes:: and we were on our way.
When that ride finished, there were 3 or 4 CMs from Mexico standing there, all smiling at DD. They presented her with a personalized Magical Moment Certificate signed by all of them.:grouphug:

Each time since then that we go on the Mexico ride, DD asks if she can go more than once. She doesn't like the Donald version as well as the older version, but still likes her little visit to Mexico.

Mine is a small one, but still really sweet; last trip, my DD and I had breakfast at CRT (magical in itself, I know). She was wearing the Cinderellabration dress - the big, fluffy white dress with the silver glitter everywhere and the silver lamme' sash? And of course, I had her hair all done up. She looked so beautiful, if I do say so myself. We came out of breakfast, and there, waiting for us on the castle side of mainstreet, was the horse drawn carraige. The driver saw us and put the little stairs down, and even bowed to my DD. Then we got the private "tour" down main street, with everyone watching her and waving, etc. Of course, that was too much, so she mostly rode on the floor... but she looked up at me with her best tinkerbell face, and said, "See mommy, I AM a princess!!! Priceless

Definately the GAC card in general is what I think is the most magical thing they offer at WDW.

I am a BCBA for children with autism & I have a family with 3 young children-one w/DS, one w/autism, & a 2 year old typical child. Needless to say, this family does not get out much! Well, one year the dad was determined to bring my student (the one w/autism) on a father-son trip. This little guy is 5 years old, nonverbal w/limited communication skills (although he is acquiring more every day!), and very severe SIB. He has great difficulty waiting, adapting to new situations, & hard time coping with certain noises. On the upside, when he is not tantrumming he is the happiest little guy you've ever seen! He loves watching Disney characters on tv. We spent many months preparing him for his trip, but if his dad did not have the benefits of the GAC, his trip would not have been as successful as it was-in fact it wouldnt have even been doable! Sure, he had some meltdowns, but strangers were generally kind to let dad handle it without too many stares or glares & CM's were very accomodating and nonjudgmental. He loves to watch his videos now and look at the pictures from his trip and we have actually incorporated them into his home programming.:thumbsup2

Hooray for the GAC!

I know a CM (who will remain anonymous so she does not get overwhelmed with requests) who sends post card from WDW to Wish Trip kids before their trips, from characters. She also volunteers at Give Kids the World Village. :cool1:

Multiply this by all the CMs who give of themselves to be a blessing and you will see the MAGIC.

Bill

I know a CM (who will remain anonymous so she does not get overwhelmed with requests) who sends post card from WDW to Wish Trip kids before their trips, from characters. She also volunteers at Give Kids the World Village. :cool1:

Multiply this by all the CMs who give of themselves to be a blessing and you will see the MAGIC.

Bill

Not a CM but my young dd has stood in line for autographs for children who are not able to visit the characters in person. It was very cute, she went up to the Mad Hatter and handed him a postcard and said "this is for my friend, she can't come see you, please sign." And he did! LOL

Mine is a small one, but still really sweet; last trip, my DD and I had breakfast at CRT (magical in itself, I know). She was wearing the Cinderellabration dress - the big, fluffy white dress with the silver glitter everywhere and the silver lamme' sash? And of course, I had her hair all done up. She looked so beautiful, if I do say so myself. We came out of breakfast, and there, waiting for us on the castle side of mainstreet, was the horse drawn carraige. The driver saw us and put the little stairs down, and even bowed to my DD. Then we got the private "tour" down main street, with everyone watching her and waving, etc. Of course, that was too much, so she mostly rode on the floor... but she looked up at me with her best tinkerbell face, and said, "See mommy, I AM a princess!!! Priceless

That is about the sweetest thing I have ever heard. When it becomes real, then it is MAGIC.

Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter