Faith, hope, trust, and Pixie Dust!

I have many stories. Some posted on others threads, don't want to repeat. Might tho because I love reading this thread. I'll share my Tinkerbell pin story now. My son who uses a wheelchair "won" the two pin set. A tomorrowland CM noticed our family's Mickey Mouse Club t-shirts with our names. He quizzed my son on original MMC trivia. Didn't know he was a Disney nerd! He gave him the mission to find someone worthy to give the second pin to. It had to be someone doing something magical for someone else. My son looked for a week for that special person. In AK, a little girl saw me struggling with the door and his wheelchair at the bat enclosure. She came running over and held the door without any parent prompting. She was very sweet and sincere. My son asked if she liked Tinkerbell, she did. Her parents then showed. The little girl, Emily I think, was soooo excited when he gave her the pin for being a special person. We chatted, took pictures. We met up again later. The parents said this was so typical of their daughter and was that it was so special that she was "rewarded" for her kind nature - though she didn't need it. She just always was looking for ways to help people. My son said that lots of times parents will shout to their kids "go help that kid with the wheelchair" - it bothers him. He said he could tell this little girl had a kind heart.
:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

I have many stories. Some posted on others threads, don't want to repeat. Might tho because I love reading this thread. I'll share my Tinkerbell pin story now. My son who uses a wheelchair "won" the two pin set. A tomorrowland CM noticed our family's Mickey Mouse Club t-shirts with our names. He quizzed my son on original MMC trivia. Didn't know he was a Disney nerd! He gave him the mission to find someone worthy to give the second pin to. It had to be someone doing something magical for someone else. My son looked for a week for that special person. In AK, a little girl saw me struggling with the door and his wheelchair at the bat enclosure. She came running over and held the door without any parent prompting. She was very sweet and sincere. My son asked if she liked Tinkerbell, she did. Her parents then showed. The little girl, Emily I think, was soooo excited when he gave her the pin for being a special person. We chatted, took pictures. We met up again later. The parents said this was so typical of their daughter and was that it was so special that she was "rewarded" for her kind nature - though she didn't need it. She just always was looking for ways to help people. My son said that lots of times parents will shout to their kids "go help that kid with the wheelchair" - it bothers him. He said he could tell this little girl had a kind heart.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:worship::worship:

Wow, what a great thread!! Glad someone bumped it up. I have only read a few posts... it is too late at night for me to cry anymore.

Here, are a couple of my favorite "magical moments". Our First visit in 2007 my son had only had his prosthesis for a few months. When they were made he knew that we were going to disney so he had Mickey Mouse put on his "new fast feet". When we had dinner at Chef Mickey's each character signed his autograph book and his legs. He thought that was awesome.

On our trip last year DS had developed a blister on his stump and had to be in his wheelchair for a couple of days. One of those days was when we went to AK. During the Lion King show we were seated on the front row and he was "Parked" by his sister and brother. When it came time he was selected to lead the elephant section and later to dance around the theater at the end of the performance. A CM handed him an instrument and pushed him all the way around in his wheelchair. The thing that made it extra special was that they realized that he was sitting with his brother and sister and they invited them to join in as well. Often times they get overlooked, that really made my day.

My most recent story. We were in the wheelchair section in the front far right of the Indiana Jones show. After the show all the kids run down through the stands to get Indiana to sign their autograph books and pictures. My son wanted to go to that area but could not. The CM saw him envying the action and told him to just wait where he was and the stunt man would come over to see him when all the other kids were through. She was right. When he came over -- his name was Jay, been playing the role for 8 years he said -- they were already finished clearing the stage from the last scene and were resetting the scene with the big ball at the beginning. We had the whole place to ourselves. Jay said to my son that they could visit on set and took him out to the "South American" looking setting. He said the pictures would be better with a good background. They spoke for a long time -- about Indiana Jones lore, etc. about being a stunt man, etc. The pix are great -- I let them alone and just snapped! When they were done, Jay said that he'd had a special time talking and had a gift. He took off his hat that he wore in the show and put it on my son's head. Keep it, he said, but be sure to febreeze it because he had been wearing it every day for two months! The hat has his name "Jay" written in it and my son has it in a place of honor on his shelf. Even though it was really hot my son wore it through the rest of the evening. I'll never forget my son's expression or that nice young CM who honestly enjoyed visiting with him. One of many magical experiences over the years.

As some of you know I am an interpreter and attend workshops fairly frequently in the Orlando area. 2 weekends ago I was there and the first interpeters to greet and hug me were Disney Terps. They bring magic even when they are not in the parks.

Who has some more stories? I've got my tissue box all lined up and ready for more happy tears :goodvibes

I hope I have one to add when I go ina month. I have been before but haven't seen anything appropriate for this thread, maybe I wasn't looking. I will next time.

I just love reading these experiences! My kids keep wondering why I'm crying. :hug: Thank you for all of your posts!

My 30 year old brother with cerebral palsy moved in with us this year, and we are doing our best to save and plan for a trip to Disneyland in the next couple of years. I would absolutely love to show my brother the wonder of DL. He's an amazing guy who has always kept positive attitude and has a smile for everyone even through lots of tough times.

Even if nothing special happens on our visit, just seeing him enjoy Main Street, being amazed by the fireworks - - I just can't wait! The thing I'm most excited about is taking him on Soarin' Over California. I really think he will love it, and it brings me to tears to think he'll get to feel like he's flying and free, with the breeze and scents in his face. :lovestruc

Sigh. We really need to plant that money tree in the back yard. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for all the wonderful stories! I hope to have a few of our own sooner rather than later! :goodvibes

The thing I'm most excited about is taking him on Soarin' Over California. I really think he will love it, and it brings me to tears to think he'll get to feel like he's flying and free, with the breeze and scents in his face. :lovestruck
I hope you do get a chance to go.:flower3:
My DD's first ride on Soarin' was so cool. She is a 'wild child' and would probably do things like hang gliding in real life if she was physically capable.
That brought tears to my eyes when she rode.
During the whole ride she kept tapping my arm and pointing at things, squealing and signing during the whole ride (she understands well, but can't speak).

I hope you do get a chance to go.:flower3:
My DD's first ride on Soarin' was so cool. She is a 'wild child' and would probably do things like hang gliding in real life if she was physically capable.
That brought tears to my eyes when she rode.
During the whole ride she kept tapping my arm and pointing at things, squealing and signing during the whole ride (she understands well, but can't speak).

Oh Sue!

I want Lauren to ride that ride SOOOOOO bad!

I can't seem to talk them into going back. :sad: I wish money grew on trees!

I even rode it over and over in different spots to try to figure out what section moved the least so she could ride it and not be moved around as much.

I LOVE that ride! :love:

Oh Sue!

I want Lauren to ride that ride SOOOOOO bad!

I can't seem to talk them into going back. :sad: I wish money grew on trees!

I even rode it over and over in different spots to try to figure out what section moved the least so she could ride it and not be moved around as much.

I LOVE that ride! :love:
If I had a money tree, I would send you some:hug:

We've been on Soarin' a lot of times and I would say all seats move about the same - it's very gentle motion as you know.
We were concerned the first time that we rode because DD has a lot of spasticity and goes into an extension pattern when she gets excited if her feet are not firmly fastened to the wheelchair footplates (picture a doll that doesn't bend at the waist or hips trying to sit on a chair). Excitement also gives her a lot of athetoid type movements (the only times she gets them), so along with 'no bend Barbie,' we have arms and legs flying all over.
When she rides, we use the extra strap between the legs that small children are required to use. The first time she rode, DH and I were kind of apprehensive (didn't want her popping out of a ride 30 feet in the air), but DD did great.

We've been on Soarin' a lot of times and I would say all seats move about the same - it's very gentle motion as you know.
We were concerned the first time that we rode because DD has a lot of spasticity and goes into an extension pattern when she gets excited if her feet are not firmly fastened to the wheelchair footplates (picture a doll that doesn't bend at the waist or hips trying to sit on a chair). Excitement also gives her a lot of athetoid type movements (the only times she gets them), so along with 'no bend Barbie,' we have arms and legs flying all over.
When she rides, we use the extra strap between the legs that small children are required to use. The first time she rode, DH and I were kind of apprehensive (didn't want her popping out of a ride 30 feet in the air), but DD did great.

Hi, SueM! I was thinking the between the leg strap would work for my brother, also. Do you remember - was it a tight fit with your daughter, or is it made to fit an adult easily? I can't for the life of me remember how long they are.

Thanks!

Hi, SueM! I was thinking the between the leg strap would work for my brother, also. Do you remember - was it a tight fit with your daughter, or is it made to fit an adult easily? I can't for the life of me remember how long they are.

Thanks!
I've got better than memory - I've got pictures

2590P4071350.JPG

The leg strap was long enough to comfortably fit my DD (she is 5 feet tall and 86 pounds). My MIL also used the strap because she is afraid of heights. She is just over 5 feet tall.
If you look in the Epcot FAQs near the top of this board, the second page has picture montages of some attractions, including Soarin that might help to jump start your memory.

Sigh. We really need to plant that money tree in the back yard. :rolleyes:

Please tell me where to get those seeds!

OK, I've got a story from our recent trip - not about me, but about another family we met. We were waiting for the AK parade in the wheelchair viewing area, when a family with Make a Wish buttons came up and parked their stroller alongside us. They had three kids, the youngest (who's Wish it was) showing off her beautiful bald head for all the world to see :goodvibes. I know it may sound odd, but it was wonderful to see her squabbling with her older sister before the parade - at Disney she was allowed to forget about all her medical issues and just be a normal kid for a while.

Anyway, when the parade started, I kept stealing sideways glances at them, to see that they were enjoying it and making sure I didn't get in their way. The little girl was only interested in the characters, pretty much ignoring all the giant animal puppets that came past. The characters on foot were so good at interacting with all the kids in the family - giving them high-fives, kissing their hands or patting their heads. However, the truely magical moment came when Mickey's float came past at the end of the parade. The little girl just lit up, smiling and waving at him. He noticed her in the crowd, and suddenly it was as if he could see nobody else - every wave and blown kiss went straight to that family, until the float had rounded the corner out of sight. It may be a little thing, but you could tell it meant so much to those kids :goodvibes I don't know whether their parents saw it or not, but if they did, I'm sure it meant the world to them too :hug:

The leg strap was long enough to comfortably fit my DD (she is 5 feet tall and 86 pounds). My MIL also used the strap because she is afraid of heights. She is just over 5 feet tall.

I'm 5' 8" and average weight and the strap fit me, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter