Family boat rental plan worth the $$$$????

JessetheCowgirl

DIS Veteran
Hi, all.

We are planning a trip in July to FW. It will be me, DH, DS4 and DS2.

We are staying 10 nights in order to try to take things slowly at the parks. I foresee us doing early entry through lunch, then returning to FW for lunch, naps, swim time etc before going back to parks in the evenings.

That said, I think my boys (all 3, counting DH :) will love the watermice/paddleboats, etc.

Has anyone gone with the family plan? And would that mean we could take two watermice at once (me and DS4, DH and DS2)??

Any feedback would be appreciated.

We have done the plan at GF and the Polynesian and love it. You and your husband can certainly take out two mice at once. We've had three out at the same time. We also think it's fun to take out one of the canopy boats. You could have a picnic on those.

For a ten night stay it would be very easy to make it worthwhile.

Enjoy!

I can't really speak to the "family plan", but just wanted to offer this -

We were there 2 weeks ago - DH DD7 and DD6 and me.

We rented a pontoon boat and it was great! Another boat option for you to consider.

Also took out canoes one morning, though I wouldn't do it with younger kids.

Have a great time at Fort Wilderness. Maybe someone else can help you out with the question. Anyone from camping board maybe?

Pammypooh

We are also considering the family plan for the marina this summer. I have heard conflicting reports about how many can be on the family plan. Is it 4 or 5? Do you give the names of your other family members and receive a wristband for them or does everyone have to come down to the marina at the same time to sign up? At the Wilderness Lodge, does it include bicycle rentals? Thank you all for your kind responses!

I've called on the plan as well. As I understand it, its only good for 7 days. If anyone knows differently or learns differently let me know.

The family plan is well worth it!! We are a family of five and everyone signed up on the first day. All those (I believe 16 and over) must sign the waiver. Then you may use the water mice, pontoon boats, sail boat and can't remember what else. The info I remember is that it is good for the length of your stay. We stayed 7 nights and took advantage of it every day! Great fun! Enjoy!!

fyi..for those of you only staying 4 or 5 days or have a small family and want to save some money, there is a 4 hour plan that we bought for approx $120.

We had a hard time using it up as we have 2 little girls who couldn't ride the mouse boats by themselves and wanted to go to the parks a lot...and we were only there for 5 days.

Just thought I'd mention it!

So the answer is you can have 5 people on the plan, but you must all go down at the same time to get signed up? I don't have any children over 16, but I do have a 14 year old. I think 12 and over can drive the water mice? I just didn't want to drag the whole motley crew down there if I could sign them up myself or have my husband do it. Once you've signed up, could the ones that have not signed just do so the first time they want to go ride? How do they determine you are on the plan? With a wristband or a special id card?

Hi Disbug!

Yes, for us the first time we went to the marina we all were there. (Someone else might have a different experience). Since I have a son and daughter that are over 16, they signed the waiver and showed their drivers license. DH and I did too! Our other daughter is 9, so I signed for her. They want the names of all in your family (up to 5 people). Then when the kids want to go back they just tell the CM their name and that they have the family plan. They will look it up and give them a wrist band. Each time you want to go out, you get a wrist band. I think they change they colors some days. We had bright green and orange during our stay. You must leave some ID with them. We always left the room key. When you return the boat, you get your ID back. Of course our 9 year old was always with me and rode in my mouse!
Yes you can drive at 12 years old, but they want to make sure you are 5 feet tall too.

Hope this helps.

I would love clarification on this plan from anyone who has done it recently at the Polynesian. First, is it limited to 7 days? Second, what is included beyond the water mice? Any other types of boats or bikes? Thanks.

We did the family plan (just me and the Mrs) last September and it was a good deal. For 7 days you could use the water mice and pontoons as much as you wanted. If you have a family, it is definately worth the money if you want to use the boats a lot -- the 1/2 hr rental fees add up fast if you decide not to go for the plan. If you are going to be down at WDW for more than 7 days, I recommend doing the family plan for the last 7 days of your trip.

How much does the family plan cost? Where did you hear about this? I am also interested in the 4 hour plan that someone mentioned. How do you sign up for that? Thanks.

Originally posted by disney fiend
How much does the family plan cost? Where did you hear about this? I am also interested in the 4 hour plan that someone mentioned. How do you sign up for that? Thanks.

The family plan is $199 plus tax. Maximum 7 days and 5 people I believe.

The Captain's Plan is the 4 hour plan. It's 4 hours of either the mouse boats, the canopy boats and platoon boat (same as the unlimited one) for $113. plus tax.

You sign up at the marina of the resort you want to rent from. For the 4 hour plan, they gave us a card and would mark the time used until it was filled up.

FYI...to give you an idea of the savings of those plans is are the 1/2 and hour rates...

Mouse boat fees: $21.69 for ½ hour; $27.35 for 45 minutes and $30.18 for 1 hour. The canopy boat fee was $34.90 for ½ hour.

Does anyone know if there is a Disney Club or AP discount for this family plan or for the 4 hour plan?

- lori

Originally posted by loriandmatt
Does anyone know if there is a Disney Club or AP discount for this family plan or for the 4 hour plan?

- lori

I did get a discount but to be honest I don't remember if it was DVC discount of DC. I think it was DVC.

Actually, now I'm wondering if I only got the discount when it was by the hour...sorry I just can't remember.

I don't know about AP??

Lets see if i can't help jog someone elses memory on this and bump it up at the same time....

I know that there used to be a DC discount on the half hour and hourly rates for the mouse boats AND there is a also an AP discount for half and hourly rates on the mouse boats.

Wondering if DC discounts and AP discounts still apply at the marina and if on all packages (this family plan or the 4 hour plan) or just on the half and hourly rates for mouse boats?

- lori

Like I mentioned in my previous post, in 2001, when we booked an hour, we got a DVC discount (10%).

Last year, when we did the Captain's plan (4 hours) for $113. plus tax, I am 90% sure we did NOT get a discount for that as it's already a discount off regular prices as a plan.

The best thing to do is call the Contemporary, GF, or WL directly and ask!;)

Family Plan -WL

They did not offer an AP discount on the family plan at WL because it was already considered a discount. The plan did include bike rentals for the five people listed on the registration. We thought it was an excellent deal but we were slightly disappointed by the shortened hours of availability during November.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter