Family-Friendly Fla--- (non-Disney. :((

tinkerhon

DIS Veteran
Hey all !! So, posted this right before the hacking, and believe it got deleted -

Was looking for a place to go in Florida in July- something family -friendly ..

Will be myself (Dad) , DD15 and DS10-

Should have prefaced by saying that we are Disney fanatics (like the rest on the boards) - Kids have been there at least 25 times, and Ive been going since 1994-

We were supposed to go back last July--- would have been our longest trip to date--- 19 days (we like the downtime, pool days, and just being able to relax a bit- Plus, sleeping in late a few days is never a bad thing--- especially in the summer !!!)

So, we are now looking at (most likely) a 2022 WDW trip--- we are not really M & G or parade ppl, but we do love the live shows, fireworks (especially the dessert parties), and, I am disabled due to severe OCD, so ADRS and FPs were always a must. Ppl with OCD dont do well with a lack of structure-
If FPs and/or ADRS become a thing of the past, I will deal with it. Same with the masks--- if I have to to, I will deal with it, but son is on the spectrum, and hes ok with the mask now, but dont think he would do so well with a longer period of time in Disney during summer.

So, looking for somewhere else nice, and DD only mentioning Fla. Maybe WPB? Im fully vaccinated, and I am ready to fly !!! :))

The thing we need to avoid is an entire "beach trip"--- Im not really a beach person, and I know my kids would get bored !!! Especially, being so used to Disney !!! Would be looking at hotel pricing on par with Disney Value-Moderate, and going for around 7-10 days.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!! Oh, Leaving out of NY-- TIA !!!

check out Hollywood. It may not have the excitement you're looking for, but you can rent bikes (or your hotel may have them included in the resort fee) and ride the on the broadwalk. Water taxi to Lauderdale. take a drive to everglades and do a air boat tour.

check out Hollywood. It may not have the excitement you're looking for, but you can rent bikes (or your hotel may have them included in the resort fee) and ride the on the broadwalk. Water taxi to Lauderdale. take a drive to everglades and do a air boat tour.

Thanks !!! Thats a possibility ! DD has been pushing a "water/ocean" theme, so air/boat tour might work !

Have you looked at St. Augustine?

In addition to the beaches, there is plenty of do... lots of historical attractions as well as attractions like the St. Augustine Lighthouse & the Alligator Farm which includes a zip-lining course.

Castillo de San Marcos (a fort) is probably one of the main attractions, &, across the street from the fort is a Pirate Museum which was designed by former Disney Imagineers & is really well done.

Additionally, there are several different boat tours - one is a Pirate Cruise. We love the Eco Boat Tours.

Other top attractions are the Old Jail & the Fountain of Youth, & there are various nightly ghost tours which are fun too.

There are lots of great restaurants in St. Augustine as well.

Within a couple of hours drive of St. Augustine are Kennedy Space Center, the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse (Daytona), & Blue Springs State Park.

Last edited:

I second St. Augustine with kids in that age range, and with the KSC add on too. Maybe fly into WPB, rent a car and do a leisurely drive up the coast with a day at KSC and 2-3 days in St. Augustine. Perhaps plan to drop the car in Jacksonville and fly home from there, or even go a little farther north to Savannah, GA before flying home. There are a lot of interesting things to do along the coast without just hanging at the beach.

We love the panhandle, anywhere between Panama City to Destin. We are renting a condo for a week in July in Santa Rosa. Our trip will be mostly beach based. However, our kids like to rent bikes, go fishing, and also we will spend some time in both Panama City at their pier, and in Destin for shopping, restaurants, etc.

Another vote for St Augustine! Also, staying at The Breakers in Palm Beach is on my list. We also really enjoyed Destin.

I’m not a “lay on the beach all day” person but I love New Smyrna Beach. It’s more chill than Disney, of course, but lots to do in nearby Daytona and the Orlando area isn’t far either. Great restaurants, reasonable accommodations and a peaceful but fun vibe.

Thanks all !! Sounds like St. Augustine might be perfect for us !! Going to look into the hotels and air in the morning!

Have you looked at St. Augustine?

In addition to the beaches, there is plenty of do... lots of historical attractions as well as attractions like the St. Augustine Lighthouse & the Alligator Farm which includes a zip-lining course.

Castillo de San Marcos (a fort) is probably one of the main attractions, &, across the street from the fort is a Pirate Museum which was designed by former Disney Imagineers & is really well done.

Additionally, there are several different boat tours - one is a Pirate Cruise. We love the Eco Boat Tours.

Other top attractions are the Old Jail & the Fountain of Youth, & there are various nightly ghost tours which are fun too.

There are lots of great restaurants in St. Augustine as well.

Within a couple of hours drive of St. Augustine are Kennedy Space Center, the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse (Daytona), & Blue Springs State Park.

My son would love the pirate museum! Tx !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter