Family of 7 so have to book 2 of our kids in inlaw’s room who aren’t getting mealplan

See if you can get two rooms at the Grand Floridian.

If that’s the only place she will stay surely she knows you can’t fit 7 in a room. Have you and your husband talk to her about this?

See about renting DVC point.You want your kids to be comfortable.

I would not go broke trying to please my in laws.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. Y'all are all right. I am SO glad I joined here.

I just looked at the contemporary because I really want to be on the monorail. If I book 2 rooms at the Contemporary it will only cost 1500 more than if we went the squish them all into one room route at the GFloridian. Earlier the only room that was coming up at the contemporary was 5 or 6,000 more than if we squeezed in illegally at the GF. I think that 6,000 dollar more room was a suite so that's why it was so much more. Since I was entering my entire family that is the only room that would come up at the contemporary. Just now, I broke us up into my husband, our 3 boys in one room then me and our 2 girls in another room. Those 2 rooms added together will only cost 1500 more that if we squished in like sardines at the Grand Floridian. So I will book 2 rooms at the Contemporary.

Questions:
I'm totally cool with the 1500 more as is my husband. Is the contemporary getting shabby? Should we forgo the monorail to stay somewhere else that's not on the monorail but is in the same price range for 2 rooms?

If I book 2 rooms, I have to put myself in one and my husband in the other while booking since we are the only ones in our family over 18. Will this be a problem with fast passes etc - being split up during the booking process? I kept seeing replies worried about the reservations and fast passes so now I'm worried about 2 rooms even though everyone in both rooms are my family members.

Also, I'm thinking I will actually put our 17 year old and our 10 year old in the second room so I can be with my husband. Is there a way to make sure the rooms are next to each other?

Lastly, is it rude that I don't want to put my children in my sister in law's room nor in the couple without children's room? I know I'm going to get grief from his entire family over this because they want us all to be in the Grand Flo, but I want my kids with me in my room. Period. It's hard to keep 5 ducklings in a row when your 5 ducklings are scattered about & I don't want to have to get them from those rooms and chit chat with the inlaws about where we are going and when blah blah blah every time I need to get my kids. The single sisterinlaw only likes my husband of all her siblings so she's clingy but she's SO difficult (it's why her other siblings avoid her - they're blunt). She ends up arguing with my kids then eventually I lose my cool because trying to accomodate and take into consideration the ideas and desires of children ranging from 17-3 at Disney is challenging enough without an adult child inlaw sticking herself into the middle of it, ya know? But again, his parents are gonna be like "why don't your girls stay with Liza? They can totally stay with Liza." I feel like if I'm paying the difference (not asking them to buy the second room) then they shouldn't give me grief, right? Or am I being bratty?

Thanks everyone. I should probably have hired a therapist rather than taken this to the Disney Boards. LOL

I cant answer all of your questions, but I can help with some.

1) There's no way for you to guarantee connecting or adjoining rooms, however you can put in a request for this. If you have a travel agent, they can do this for you. Just remember that it is only a request. They will accommodate if they can, but sometimes, there just aren't two rooms available next to each other.

2) Both rooms can be linked on MDE for FPs and ADRs so you won't have any issues there. The reason there may have been issues with having the kids in relatives' rooms is that they'd be on their MDE, and presumably you won't be booking all the same FPs and ADRs as them. The kids still could be linked to yours, but it does make it more confusing since the MDE account holder of the room they're booked in could accidentally change something you have booked for them.

3) I think it's considerate of you to not put a couple of your kids in a relative's room. The couple probably would like some privacy and you've said the SIL isn't easy to be around. It's tough travelling with extended family and for people to have to share rooms with them can be difficult. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa with my mom and brother and though it was fairly spacious, we felt like we never got a break from them and it made the vacation more stressful dealing with different habits than we were used to in the villa. If it was stressful for us adults even though we still had the kids with us, I know it would have been just as, if not more stressful for the kids to be in a room with relatives away from us. I wouldn't have wanted my kids to have to stay separate from us either as that takes them even more out of their element, and would have kept us separated on a family vacation. With two rooms, yes you will still be separate, but you can come and go as you please to check on the kids, get them up, etc without having to worry about disturbing your relative or knocking and waiting for them to answer the door.

4) Have DH help to explain the situation to his parents about you not all allowed to stay in one room, not wanting to burden relatives by putting kids in their rooms, needing the extra space and privacy, and that 2 rooms just works best for your family. Good luck!

Your family would fit into a 2 bedroom villa. Have you looked into DVC? Not sure when your trip is, so not sure if there is any availability but could be worth looking into.

We did a family reunion in 2014. My brother in law and sister in law and their families stayed at Caribbean Beach. We had already booked the Yacht Club (we were the first ones to decide to go, the inlaws decided to make it a reunion-- no complaints just an explanation.) As a family of 5, we could not fit into Caribbean Beach.

And it worked out just fine. We made plans to be together each day, we had the same Fastpasses and ADRs. The only difference it made was that we said goodnight at the bus stop and not when we got off the bus.

I would not have any child, regardless of age, sleep on the floor even if it weren't a huge violation of the fire laws. The reality is that your youngest is part of this vacation and deserves a bed. And do you really want a cranky toddler who hasn't had enough sleep? Throw in the fact that you'll want that 7 year old to eat real meals.. he's part of this vacation too.

it seems that you're making the wants and needs of your own family secondary to pleasing your inlaws. And I get that. But this is a vacation in Disney World-- if anyone's needs are to be considered, I would think it should be the kids, and the family of 7 who has to pay for them. I learned long ago that my husband and I are the only advocates our kids have, and that we need to put their needs first sometimes. I think that, if not "first", then their needs should at least be considered. And I think that, as much as this is a reunion, it's also your family vacation and all your kids deserve to be with the rest of the family.

If you book 2 rooms at the Contemporary, book the Garden Wing. It will be cheaper and quieter than the main building. Make sure that your reservation requests connecting rooms... not simply "adjoining" but "connecting." Disney won't promise, but they will try to acommodate you.

Last edited:
I might totally be wrong but I think LongLiveRafiki is incorrect about not being able to guarantee connecting rooms. I am on a facebook group with a lot of Disney travel agents. I am almost positive that they have said (multiple times) if you book yourself and your husband and one room (along with some of the kids) leaving the second room with only kids under the age of 18 that Disney has to guarantee a connecting room. However that being said I don't think that configuration is something that can be booked online; I believe you will either need to go through a travel agent or call Disney directly.

No they don’t guarantee connecting or adjoining rooms. Facebook groups are often less reliable than the Dis. You can request it but it’s not promised. Given the number of families who travel to WDW guaranteeing it would be a logistical nightmare for WDW.

I just looked at the contemporary because I really want to be on the monorail. If I book 2 rooms at the Contemporary it will only cost 1500 more than if we went the squish them all into one room route at the GFloridian. Earlier the only room that was coming up at the contemporary was 5 or 6,000 more than if we squeezed in illegally at the GF. I think that 6,000 dollar more room was a suite so that's why it was so much more. Since I was entering my entire family that is the only room that would come up at the contemporary. Just now, I broke us up into my husband, our 3 boys in one room then me and our 2 girls in another room. Those 2 rooms added together will only cost 1500 more that if we squished in like sardines at the Grand Floridian. So I will book 2 rooms at the Contemporary.

Questions:
I'm totally cool with the 1500 more as is my husband. Is the contemporary getting shabby? Should we forgo the monorail to stay somewhere else that's not on the monorail but is in the same price range for 2 rooms?

I have no idea if the Contemporary is getting shabby, I doubt it though. Have you looked at the Poly? I've never stayed there but it is a beautiful resort. I'm not sure how the prices compare to the Contemporary though but I would check it out just in case it is the same.

If I book 2 rooms, I have to put myself in one and my husband in the other while booking since we are the only ones in our family over 18. Will this be a problem with fast passes etc - being split up during the booking process? I kept seeing replies worried about the reservations and fast passes so now I'm worried about 2 rooms even though everyone in both rooms are my family members.

I think Disney would have a problem with that if they knew however if you have rooms right next to each other I don't see it as a big deal like going over occupancy. You aren't guaranteed adjoining rooms, or rooms next to each other though so it is a gamble.

Also, I'm thinking I will actually put our 17 year old and our 10 year old in the second room so I can be with my husband. Is there a way to make sure the rooms are next to each other?

Lastly, is it rude that I don't want to put my children in my sister in law's room nor in the couple without children's room? I know I'm going to get grief from his entire family over this because they want us all to be in the Grand Flo, but I want my kids with me in my room. Period. It's hard to keep 5 ducklings in a row when your 5 ducklings are scattered about & I don't want to have to get them from those rooms and chit chat with the inlaws about where we are going and when blah blah blah every time I need to get my kids. The single sisterinlaw only likes my husband of all her siblings so she's clingy but she's SO difficult (it's why her other siblings avoid her - they're blunt). She ends up arguing with my kids then eventually I lose my cool because trying to accomodate and take into consideration the ideas and desires of children ranging from 17-3 at Disney is challenging enough without an adult child inlaw sticking herself into the middle of it, ya know? But again, his parents are gonna be like "why don't your girls stay with Liza? They can totally stay with Liza." I feel like if I'm paying the difference (not asking them to buy the second room) then they shouldn't give me grief, right? Or am I being bratty?

Of course it isn't rude to want your kids with you and your dh and to be able to enjoy and not stress out on your vacation.

Thanks everyone. I should probably have hired a therapist rather than taken this to the Disney Boards. LOL

(bolded above are my responses)
I hope your dh's family understands your decision and you have a great trip pixiedust:

I lovingly chuckled at this line.

I don't think it's wrong to not pawn off the kids on other people's room, and while I don't know your family members I'd call the offer of "so and so can just stay with us" the polite offer that they never intend you to follow through with and will be resentful if you do follow through.

Book two rooms at the contemporary (assuming it's in your price point), make connecting rooms your ONLY request. Make sure to call and link the reservations on the back end (they'll add traveling with to the reservations).

Questions:

You've gotten lots of good answers.

I haven't stayed at Contemporary but I haven't seen any complaints about condition of rooms. As stated Connecting Rooms can not be guaranteed but Disney works hard. I would have that added to my reservation as my only request.

The reason I mentioned FP+ was that seemed (and still does) that you were each booking your own rooms, which would put your children and maybe tickets on another reservation but your own. You would have to go through the process of connecting via Friends and Family to be able to book your kids FP+, and it would give relatives options to access your FP+ as well. If you book at Contemporary in control of your reservation you will have no issues, everything will be under your control.

NOT RUDE AT ALL. It's your family, and even if a bigger gathering ... your vacation too. If anyone says anything you just say you want to stay together as a family and this is what works best but still able to be stay close by. End of discussion.

OP, I feel your pain on trying to accommodate your family--both the needs of your children, and the wants of your ILs.

It's a little OT, but we just got back from a trip with three of our kids (DS21 chose to stay home). We went to Europe, where double rooms are the norm--we had 5 people, so we had a triple and a double. Initially, we figured the younger two (DD15, DS12) would alternate sharing with us and their sister (DD23). But, they begged to all be together. Now, our situation was different, in that DD23 is an adult, but they never once gave us connecting room. In one case, we had a room that connected on the other side (???). But, it ended up working fine. The younger two usually fight like an old married couple, but they wanted to prove this could work, and it did. Not only did they get along, but they did a fine job of being ready in the morning, taking care of personal hygiene, and even packing up suitcases in a timely manner as needed.

What I'm trying to say is, I think your kids would be fine if the rooms don't connect. Just make it clear to them that a parent will move in if need be, to keep the peace. I would still keep the 3yo and 7yo with you, as they're most likely to need more attention/parental closeness. We also checked with DD23 periodically, in private, to make sure she didn't feel overly burdened by having her siblings with her.

Thx so much. I think this will be so much better. I’ll ask the contemporary in advance and ask again one week before to put the rooms next to each other. It’s privsbly easier for the contemporary to do than for the grand Floridian because the contemporary is a high rise whereas the grand has lots of little individual “houses” with only a few rooms in each one.

Again, thx everyone for pointing me in the right direction.

Your family would fit into a 2 bedroom villa. Have you looked into DVC? Not sure when your trip is, so not sure if there is any availability but could be worth looking into.
What’s DVC?
I’ve noticed that the suites and villas and bungalows are significantly more expensive than booking 2 rooms. I guess it’s becatse they come with kitchens etc and there’s not as many of them.

We are going in March of 2019

appreciate their kindness, but your family has already made plans for vacation.[/QUOTE]

We tried that and thevresponse was “We will only go to Disney and help with room costs and pay for theme park tickets if all 5 siblings go.” So that was crummy! We would have been blamed for everyone else not being able to go to Disney. : /

OK, so let me throw a little more fuel on the fire... how closely aligned will the plans be once you get there?

This is something I would absolutely hash out ahead of time.

Will it be a matter of everyone being in the same park and having the same dinner dining reservations? Or will your son not be allowed to go on Indy Speedway because there's a long line, grandma doesn't like the fumes and no one else is a 7 year old boy?

My DD and her husband went with her in-laws and his siblings. They shared a two bedroom unit at Bay Lake Towers with his sister and her family and I think this would work well for your family. It had a king bedroom, a second bedroom with two queens and a pull-out couch in the living room. I'm not sure how to rent DVC or if these are available for rent outside DVC but you might want to look into it. It is connected to the Contemporary and so you'll have access to the monorail and can walk to the Magic Kingdom. I think it had two bathrooms, a kitchen and a washer/dryer. Check it out!

OK, so let me throw a little more fuel on the fire... how closely aligned will the plans be once you get there?

Every family does their own thing. We have one character breakfast in the grand Floridian with all 23 of us the morning of to kick things off then we all go our separate ways. So that’s makes everything much easier. I will coordinate with my sisterinlaws to take a cousin with us half a day and give them one of mine half a day so the cousins can ride things together. That usually works out well. We all usually do the same parks each day but don’t have to

My DD and her husband went with her in-laws and his siblings. They shared a two bedroom unit at Bay Lake Towers with his sister and her family and I think this would work well for your family. It had a king bedroom, a second bedroom with two queens and a pull-out couch in the living room. I'm not sure how to rent DVC or if these are available for rent outside DVC but you might want to look into it. It is connected to the Contemporary and so you'll have access to the monorail and can walk to the Magic Kingdom. I think it had two bathrooms, a kitchen and a washer/dryer. Check it out!

The bay lake towers were more expensive than the Grand Floridian. I guess because they’re new?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter