Favourite Modern Doctor Who?

Tennant was my favorite...Excellent acting/writing. Also, I have to admit I enjoyed Matt Smith's kooky interpretation, though this is not the a popular opinion.

Ten, by far.
Nine, next.

Could not get into Matt Smith at all. Watched a lot of episodes to give him a chance and between the way he played the Doctor (far too goofy, juvenile, immature, and frankly, like he was a few bricks short of a load) and the Amy/Rory storyline, both my dh and I gave up. After that, we haven't gone back.

I liked Rose, but loved loved loved Donna. Her last episode broke my heart.

Matt based his Doctor on Patrick Troughton's (#2 of the classic series) portrayal. If you ever get a chance to see Patrick's, you'll see a bit of similarity in personalities between #2 and 11.

I like them all but have a soft spot for Ecclestone - he had a rough edge to him that the others didn't or don't seem to have, IMO.

Tennant. He had the best writing, the best companions and a great interpretation of the Doctor.

And he really could be pretty menacing.

c31ddaaa48a66009927d9cf80162d6ea.jpg

Tennant...by a huge margin. As others have said, Smith was just too hyperactive....I liked him, but got nudgy watching him!!! I like Capaldi much better than I thought I would. And no, his writing has been awful!!!! He holds such promise!! But unless the writing changes, he won't be able to do much.
Tennant brought a lot to the part...exactly the way the Doctor should be, for me at least. Playful but moody and morose at times.

The whole Clara/Danny thing? Let's hope that's gone forever!!!

Matt based his Doctor on Patrick Troughton's (#2 of the classic series) portrayal. If you ever get a chance to see Patrick's, you'll see a bit of similarity in personalities between #2 and 11.
I'm aware. I still don't like that portrayal. It's irritating to me and I don't watch tv to get irritated.

I'm aware. I still don't like that portrayal. It's irritating to me and I don't watch tv to get irritated.

I understand. My favorite Doctor from the classic was Peter Davison (until DT came around). After Colin Baker took over the roll of #6, I actually stopped watching. I could not stand his personality and I still can't. It was way too arrogant (almost reminded me of Jon Pertwee's Doctor, but worse). I didn't pick it up again until Sylvester McCoy took over the roll and I didn't start seeing his episodes until much later. By that time, I caught a few episodes before it was announced that it was going on hiatus.

For me, it depends not just on the Doctor, but his relationship with his companion. I loved Eccleston and Rose together. Hated it when she was paired with Tennant. (Unpopular, I know. Not a big fan of 10.5 either.) Loved Donna and Tennant. I liked Martha too, although she would have been a much better character if they hadn't gone with the whole unrequited love thing. I hated Matt Smith and Clara together. I still don't like her, but she annoys me less with Capaldi because there is no flirting. I like that he's less "human," so to speak. I hope that the writing gets better this series.

What did everyone think of the show last night? I thought it was great! Loved the Dr's entrance!

What did everyone think of the show last night? I thought it was great! Loved the Dr's entrance!

I'm kind of down on it. They're beating a dead horse. It's unfortunate that they have to keep going back to the Daleks and The Master. They literally have all of time and space to play with, and they pull out the Daleks again. The Doctor has beaten them so much that they've lost their menace. Same with the Cybermen. Put them away for a while and come up with something new. Whatever happened to the intense drive and motivation for the Doctor to find Gallifrey again? They set up this story arc in The Day of the Doctor where he seemed hell bent on finding Gallifrey and then they did almost nothing about it except a quick mention from The Master, after they dredged him up again. It's become a crutch. Don't know what to do with the Doctor? Daleks. Need a "big" story that could span two episodes? Daleks. Need to foil to the Doctor? Daleks. Or Cybermen. They're interchangable at this point. Their stories tend to promise something big and then fizzle out. This one just looks like another one of those stories where the Daleks are unbeatable until they aren't. I hope they start doing something new and different and not just pulling out all of the crutches to pass another empty "big" story arc.

You always love your first Doctor. Mine was Tom Baker. I have since watched all of the Doctors. David Tennant is the best of the new Doctors.

The guitar playing on the tank was priceless! (and did anyone else catch the nod to Capaldi's past?)

I started watching with Eccleston. I love David Tennant and Matt Smith. Not so keen on Capaldi so far. Maybe he will grow on me.

I'm kind of down on it. They're beating a dead horse. It's unfortunate that they have to keep going back to the Daleks and The Master. They literally have all of time and space to play with, and they pull out the Daleks again. The Doctor has beaten them so much that they've lost their menace. Same with the Cybermen. Put them away for a while and come up with something new. Whatever happened to the intense drive and motivation for the Doctor to find Gallifrey again? They set up this story arc in The Day of the Doctor where he seemed hell bent on finding Gallifrey and then they did almost nothing about it except a quick mention from The Master, after they dredged him up again. It's become a crutch. Don't know what to do with the Doctor? Daleks. Need a "big" story that could span two episodes? Daleks. Need to foil to the Doctor? Daleks. Or Cybermen. They're interchangable at this point. Their stories tend to promise something big and then fizzle out. This one just looks like another one of those stories where the Daleks are unbeatable until they aren't. I hope they start doing something new and different and not just pulling out all of the crutches to pass another empty "big" story arc.

I fear you may be right. Don't get me right, I love the daleks and their menace of being mutants hellbent on killing anything and everything, but enough is enough. Give them a break! If you really need to revisit a creepy enemy, how about the Weeping Angels? Scared the heck outta me!

The guitar playing on the tank was priceless! (and did anyone else catch the nod to Capaldi's past?)

DH and I loved that! I'm hoping the story lines do pick up with this season, though. I did like the connection they made between Davros and the ep Genesis of the Daleks (Tom Baker's episode from the 1970's for those who are not familiar with classic Who).

Any classic Whovians out there :hyper: that BBCA has started to show Tom Baker's episodes? DH is happy about it since Tom is his favorite. I'm happy that they are showing Genesis of the Daleks. I tried to watch it online a few years ago, but never got a chance to see the whole thing. Now I can! I was worried that BBCA would only show them in their 1/2 hour episodes, but just took a look and realized that they are showing the whole story arc! :woohoo: I hope this is not the last that we will see of the classic series. I would really love to see Peter Davison's episodes again as well as the others that have portrayed the Doctor. While I have PD's episodes on VHS (recorded back in the 80's), they have broken down a bit and are not that great of quality anymore :(

Tennant with honorable mention to Eccleston. I also have liked Tennant's companions-Donna and Rose the best.
I grew to like 11. I still don't like River Song or Clara. I don't hate 12, but I'm not sure about him yet

the writing for 12 has gotten a lot, better even only one episode in... I LOVED the episode, but honestly I'm looking forward to see how they are going to bring River back for Christmas the most..

This past weekend here I forget what channel but they ran the 1975 Dr Who movie. Good lord it was bad. Like watching a trainwreck. Could not quit watching :eek: Oh and I liked Matt Smith. Reminds me of a young Gordon Ramsey

This past weekend here I forget what channel but they ran the 1975 Dr Who movie. Good lord it was bad. Like watching a trainwreck. Could not quit watching :eek: Oh and I liked Matt Smith. Reminds me of a young Gordon Ramsey

Actually, those are the 1/2 hour story arcs in one showing. I grew up watching Tom Baker's episodes back in the late 70's/early 80's. Classic Doctor Who episodes were shown in 1/2 hour episodes. That was changed when they brought it back from it's 17 year hiatus. Our PBS station would show them every weekday for a half an hour. It took about 5-6 days to finish a story arc. And yes, the effects were not that great back then. But it was all they had. CGI wasn't even heard of. We've been spoiled by computers and what can be done with CGI now. But I still love watching the classic episodes!

Your reaction to Tom Baker's episodes remind me of what mine was when I saw a few episodes of William Hartnell's and Patrick Trougton's (Doctor's 1 and 2). They were shown in black & white.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter