Fear the Walking Dead - anyone?

This is the first time we see a kid zombie in full action in this universe, right? About time I say.

These characters and the choices they make exemplify that it's better to be lucky than good.

Good grief. Headphones on, hiding out from whomever was following them on the water but you have ALL the running lights turned on on the boat at night, taking kid without asking the dad, no weapons of ANY kind, heroin kid being the voice of reason/savior of people (no more withdrawal??? I'm sure addicts the world over would like to know his secret), and where did the island dad get his drug stash??

Also, in a few days the world went to napalming and killing people? Example the island family, who has been secluded, they know to knock 'em in the head??? And are very matter of fact about it already?? Our little group is still have happy family dinners! Some of it is too unbelievable (I know, it's whole premise is unbelievable, but we go with it). The writers better get their act together, and I think having a FTTD after is a bad idea. They only started TTD after TWD was a big hit. This feels forced.

Good grief. Headphones on, hiding out from whomever was following them on the water but you have ALL the running lights turned on on the boat at night, taking kid without asking the dad, no weapons of ANY kind, heroin kid being the voice of reason/savior of people (no more withdrawal??? I'm sure addicts the world over would like to know his secret), and where did the island dad get his drug stash??

Also, in a few days the world went to napalming and killing people? Example the island family, who has been secluded, they know to knock 'em in the head??? And are very matter of fact about it already?? Our little group is still have happy family dinners! Some of it is too unbelievable (I know, it's whole premise is unbelievable, but we go with it). The writers better get their act together, and I think having a FTTD after is a bad idea. They only started TTD after TWD was a big hit. This feels forced.

I agree. I really struggled to stay interested in last night's episode and probably missed some things in the process. I just can't get past Nick's transformation - it is just so ridiculous that he went from addict to just fine in a matter of weeks. And the whole thing with the island family was just terrible. I get that they were barely hanging on to sanity before the zombies, but still... it seems early in the apocalypse for that level of nuts, especially among a group with the resources to survive.

And FTTD at this point feels almost like an hour-long exercise in explaining away plot holes. ("Maybe the govt went straight to napalm to cover something up." - in all the places the island dad listed off? Yeah, right.)

I really hope this gets better but at this point I'm rapidly losing interest. It lacks the believably - as much as any zombie story can have - and realistic-feeling, almost "familiar", everyday-people characters of TWD.

Well I guess I am in the minority, and while there are some silly things, I am still enjoying it. Is it as good as TWD? Absolutely not. But I still enjoy it. I also agree, if we saw TWD characters this early on, they probably did some really dumb things too. They were going to take the kids (not boy, dad finally said to take the boy) because dad was going to kill them, so I can see why they wouldn't discuss it. And as for Nick, I like him, he entertains me, and seems more sane than most of them. I do think however, that he was looking for drugs, like an addict would, and just happened to find the other pills in the process.

Well I guess I am in the minority, and while there are some silly things, I am still enjoying it. Is it as good as TWD? Absolutely not. But I still enjoy it. I also agree, if we saw TWD characters this early on, they probably did some really dumb things too. They were going to take the kids (not boy, dad finally said to take the boy) because dad was going to kill them, so I can see why they wouldn't discuss it. And as for Nick, I like him, he entertains me, and seems more sane than most of them. I do think however, that he was looking for drugs, like an addict would, and just happened to find the other pills in the process.

That was the impression I got, that Nick was looking for a fix and stumbled across the other drugs. And it doesnt surprise me if this George guy was a survivalist that he would have those "Jonestown" drugs stashed somewhere.

I like the show ok so far. Not sure about some of the characters, like Stand and the Hispanic dad the best.

My question is how to "dead" Melissa get away from her daughter Willa, biting her?????

I feel the same as you. I like the show. Not as much as TWD, but still. I too understand taking the children without telling the father. Their mother knew their fate, and wanted them to have a fighting chance. Love Nick, one of my favorite characters. I do think he went through withdraw too easy, but it is what it is.

That was the impression I got, that Nick was looking for a fix and stumbled across the other drugs. And it doesnt surprise me if this George guy was a survivalist that he would have those "Jonestown" drugs stashed somewhere.

I like the show ok so far. Not sure about some of the characters, like Stand and the Hispanic dad the best.

My question is how to "dead" Melissa get away from her daughter Willa, biting her?????

There was a gunshot, so we thought perhaps dad or son shot the daughter? Mother was probably still alive then, so they didn't shoot her yet.

I liked that episode, it did start moving the story forward.

I think people do need to stop comparing it to TWD. I'm certain that if TWD was shown during the same time frame the characters would have acted in a similar manner.

I agree. If this show fails it will be because people keep comparing it to TWD and expecting it to be as good, as compelling, as interesting, to like the characters as much etc. It's hard not to do, but I think we all are thinking "what would Ricks group have done?" We are expecting it to be another version of TWD, but it's not, it's a completely different perspective.

I watched about 15 mins of TD last night and even the guests kept comparing it to TWD. "Rick would never have done that" "Well, on TWD we are used to our group doing this...." "On TWD they have more weapons" etc.

I agree with the comment about the Talking Dead. This show hasn't progressed far enough to have a 60 minute discussion about each episode.

She didn't. Willa bit her, but the dad stayed in the room and knelt down as LA dad and Co left. My feeling was that he knew it was over (basically giving up as he had lost his wife & daughter) so he was offering himself to his daughter, like the mom did. I would assume Willa would go for the freshest meat since she had already bitten mom, so that gave mom a chance to die and turn and then she zombie-walked out of the house to the dock where oldest DS shot her while little boy waved bye to our crew.

That was the impression I got, that Nick was looking for a fix and stumbled across the other drugs.
I know he was looking for drugs, it just seems like he got over the DT's pretty quick and now he's all about saving people, when a few episodes ago he stole morphine from a dying man to stay high. And he's all about being a great babysitter now too???

And it doesnt surprise me if this George guy was a survivalist that he would have those "Jonestown" drugs stashed somewhere.
Yes, all survivalists have Jonestown endings in mind o_O

• They are having a dinner party, not immediately starting a rationing system?
  • Strand was shortsighted enough to leave the radio free for anyone to use, and hence give away the location (by triangulation if nothing else)?
  • Strand found out Alicia was using said radio for such purposes and let her KEEP the radio?
  • Nick, while fighting a zombie in the water, knows to get the boat's log book, because clearly that will drive the next plot point?

For these points, I would attribute that to them still not comprehending exactly what is happening in the world. Especially the dinner party. This was before they found out the rest of the country was in bad shape too, and they thought they'd just be making their way down to San Diego for reprieve. I'd expect to see some sloppiness at the decisions on their part because IMO, it's all part of them learning about what's happening, trying to adapt, and come to grips with it. In this week's episode, there was even the conversation between Nick and Alicia about how he doesn't think this is the apocalypse. Some of them are still either in denial or being naive, which is part of the premise of the show being a prequel to TWD. We see their mistakes because we're accustomed to TWD.

As for the log book of the burned boat, I still don't understand why he grabbed that. It's not something I'd be looking for or even considering grabbing if I was looking for a survivor.

Did anyone notice that some on this thread are saying that the show moves too slow and others that the show moves too fast? I don't know how I feel about that but I do think that the show is pretty silly. I'll keep watching it as long as it stays fun though and I do think that it's fun so far.

I mentioned up-thread that I think the timeline in season one was fast - it ramped up to full on zombie apocalypse in the first few episodes, and I just think more background on the disease or a slower progression if it to see how everything transpired would have been nice. But at this particular point, I do think the story is moving slowly. I'm sick of them being on the boat and was hopeful this new family they encountered would start a new story line, but it seems like they may be done with them now since they're all dead or back on the island.

One thing I've been thinking about is the fact that the girl turned after she accidentally killed herself by overdosing on the pills. I wonder if it's dawned on any of them that she turned after she died from something other than a bite. We know from TWD that the Atlanta crew didn't find out that everyone had the disease until somewhat later in the progression, and that was also why people would turn no matter when or how they died. I don't recall the LA crew on FTWD learning this yet. Could be wrong.

For these points, I would attribute that to them still not comprehending exactly what is happening in the world. Especially the dinner party. This was before they found out the rest of the country was in bad shape too, and they thought they'd just be making their way down to San Diego for reprieve. I'd expect to see some sloppiness at the decisions on their part because IMO, it's all part of them learning about what's happening, trying to adapt, and come to grips with it. In this week's episode, there was even the conversation between Nick and Alicia about how he doesn't think this is the apocalypse. Some of them are still either in denial or being naive, which is part of the premise of the show being a prequel to TWD. We see their mistakes because we're accustomed to TWD.

As for the log book of the burned boat, I still don't understand why he grabbed that. It's not something I'd be looking for or even considering grabbing if I was looking for a survivor.

I mentioned up-thread that I think the timeline in season one was fast - it ramped up to full on zombie apocalypse in the first few episodes, and I just think more background on the disease or a slower progression if it to see how everything transpired would have been nice. But at this particular point, I do think the story is moving slowly. I'm sick of them being on the boat and was hopeful this new family they encountered would start a new story line, but it seems like they may be done with them now since they're all dead or back on the island.

One thing I've been thinking about is the fact that the girl turned after she accidentally killed herself by overdosing on the pills. I wonder if it's dawned on any of them that she turned after she died from something other than a bite. We know from TWD that the Atlanta crew didn't find out that everyone had the disease until somewhat later in the progression, and that was also why people would turn no matter when or how they died. I don't recall the LA crew on FTWD learning this yet. Could be wrong.

Liza told Madison and Travis that it doesn't matter how you die, that you will still turn and come back after death.

It's okay. I'll keep watching but with GoT season starting, I will just DVR Fear and watch later. But there are some annoying characters and I hope some of them bite it (like Alecia). Curious to see what Strand is up to. And I was so looking forward to taking to a boat story line as that is what I thought I'd do in a ZA. But it isn't what I thought it would be like. Maybe they should have stayed on that island and helped the survivoralists CLEAR the zombies off the island and then they could live there.

I always thought a boat would be best in a ZA but the more I think about it, I think being on land is better. On a boat you can easily be surrounded with no where to hide, no where to go. At least on land you have more options of getting away.

It does seem things went to pot pretty quick, but if it is a military experiment gone wrong, like they talked about on TD, it would make sense that things would happen pretty quickly. If major cities are being napalmed all over the country, it wouldn't take long at all for chaos to ensue.

On TWD we don't know how long Rick was in a coma, but we do know when he woke up, there was no one there caring for him, which means he couldn't have been left alone for that long. He would have never survived more than maybe a week with no food or water so even in the TWD series the world fell pretty quickly.

On TWD we don't know how long Rick was in a coma, but we do know when he woke up, there was no one there caring for him, which means he couldn't have been left alone for that long. He would have never survived more than maybe a week with no food or water so even in the TWD series the world fell pretty quickly.
Rick was out approximately long enough for Lori and Shane to get busy and pregnant, lol!! So what, a few weeks if you add I his meeting Morgan and all that?

This show has its moments... Like when they left behind the boat of stranded people. I wish I knew what happened to them. Those little details are what makes these sort of shows interesting to me. The characters have their own crud to deal with, but meanwhile, the world is ending in the background and you have to watch that, too. There's some things that aren't "as good" so far, but I'm enjoying it.

I'm getting a little tired of them leaving people behind. I'm also tired of them coming up with a good idea and then barely escaping with their lives while accomplishing very little. Anyone who watched tonight will know what I'm talking about.

I still like it. I just see it as they are still learning things as they go. I was scared he was going to run into a shark down there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter