February 2019 - Love, Love Love ... A month of loving Disney, Healthy Living, Yourself

I need to commit to myself that my plan will make me a healthier individual & I can’t let the very brief enjoyment that junk food brings derail my plan.

You can do it - I can totally relate - my hope this month is to flip the negative narrative about getting healthy - I know I have always seen it as a goal but thought of the food as a chore/boring etc. but I must say I haven't missed it too much so far (early days yet though) - but I think that the yummy meals I have been having are helping to lower that craving.... and of course knowing I REALLY have to do something now - Drs orders.

We are planning a trip to WDW for a year and a half from now. Yep I already started planning. I am nuts.

Not nuts at all! It will also give you motivation to be at your best to enjoy your days without getting tired and having gorgeous new Disney pics you can be proud of :-)

I am determined to hit all of these goals.

:cheer2: You can do it

Unlike all you lucky ducks, I have no planned Disney trips in the near future, just here for the pixie dust and accountability. :(

Don't worry you are not alone there. It pretty much costs my family $4k just to get the USA nevermind all the other associated vacation costs ... it will be sometime before we can get back again. Although, DS18 is considering applying for the international cultural exchange program at WDW, he has to wait until he has been studying for 12 months .... so if he does go ahead, and get accepted, I would want to come with him at first to help him settle in - might have to leave the twins at home for that, even though they would hate that.

Starbucks no more than 4 times... so once per week.

:cheer2: You've got this .... I know Starbucks is your weakness :-)

I swear I was never like this, though my mom says I was.

:rotfl: I know, I am sure I was a wonderful teenager too!

Here is how her hair turned out

Cute

I know my nephew is only going to be 8 months old, but I’m so excited to experience Disney again with a little one :)

Awww, that will be fun

What's your favorite trick for staying motivated to exercise when life just gets crazy?

I really don't have this down myself yet. Do you have any exercise equipment at home? I always ponder if that would help me a little more - as it is right there and I don't have to go anywhere to do it. But then again there are so many clips on YouTube these days that I should just find myself one and commit - but after working all day, cooking dinner and making sure kids have done homework - it all seems a bit exhausting sometimes. At the moment I have 1 day per week that is a definite as a friend and I committed to walk together.

I have mostly kept the 70lbs off I lost years ago but it’s not easy! I had to lose the 20+ that had crept back on over the years but got back to my goal weight before the holidays.

That is inspirational - I think we could learn a lot from you :-)

And since I walk I can't even use icy roads as an excuse! :rotfl:

What about icy sidewalks ?? :thumbsup2

Like right now I really, really want a treat, but I'm about 100 calories over for the day so I won't be eating anything!

Hang in there, you can do it :banana:

PollyannaMom said:
What's your favorite trick for staying motivated to exercise when life just gets crazy?

I really don't have this down myself yet. Do you have any exercise equipment at home? I always ponder if that would help me a little more - as it is right there and I don't have to go anywhere to do it. But then again there are so many clips on YouTube these days that I should just find myself one and commit - but after working all day, cooking dinner and making sure kids have done homework - it all seems a bit exhausting sometimes. At the moment I have 1 day per week that is a definite as a friend and I committed to walk together.

I do have a mini-trampoline, and that's my go-to for home exercise because I can march on it while watching TV. (Boredom is my enemy with exercise.)

Would love to join! I would love to loose a total of 65 lbs from my Jan 1st 2019 weigh in. I lost 8lbs in January. I have been trying to loose weight since I had my last child 17 years ago ...oops:rolleyes1. I have POTS( dysautonomia) and experiencing a flare so just concentrating on the food portion and exercising ( aka staying vertical:rotfl::thumbsup2) as much as I can. Been married for 30 years to the love of my life, Blessed with 3 great kids, my parents still healthy and full of energy and 2 crazy beagle mixes. I manage a large group practice and am able to make my own hours ( depending on my health). My big motivation is my middle child is getting married in 2020 or 2021 so have small goals for my weight for her engagement party, bridal shower and wedding. Would love to loose 6 lbs this month. I am almost 5'9" ( I seem to be shrinking with age,lol) and not sure what my Ideal weight would be at my age, but I figure any weight loss that I can maintain is a win

What is motivating you this week?

Our weather is supposed to be warmer for a couple of days, so I think that reminder of spring will help a little.

I'm going to cut myself some slack, though, as it's going to be a tough week - a close neighbor just passed away, and we will be attending the wake/funeral. I'm sure exercising will, quite naturally, be the last thing on my mind.

I did ok with my goals this weekend. I drank 20 oz of water everyday so far. This is a big deal. I only had a pop on Sunday but only after i drank my water and I didn't finish it. Friday and Saturday I did not get 30 minutes of activity ( though I was close at 22 minutes on Friday) or my 10,000 steps. Sunday though I did 55 minutes of activity but didn't get to 10,000 steps. So still working on it. I will do better this week.

Right now a Disney trip is motivating me.

Our weather is supposed to be warmer for a couple of days, so I think that reminder of spring will help a little.

I'm going to cut myself some slack, though, as it's going to be a tough week - a close neighbor just passed away, and we will be attending the wake/funeral. I'm sure exercising will, quite naturally, be the last thing on my mind.
Good luck getting through this week. Sounds like it’s going to be a really tough one. All the best...

It started snowing yesterday right as the football game started, and really hasn't stopped. There are several inches on the ground at home, and even more in the outlaying areas. I went ahead and came in to work, the bus commute was fine just slow. I really don't like working from home, partly because at work I have two monitors and struggle with only having my lap top. There are only a couple of us in the office, so it should be a quiet day.

I had a pretty crappy weekend eating wise, I really need to get myself into gear. And with it being so cold, I wanted something warm for breakfast, so stopped at Starbucks for a hot Chai and some Oatmeal... totally forgetting my goal of only 4 SBs this month.

The Well Being habit for this week is 'Clean Start'... every day we're to clean/organize something, even if it is just a drawer. Yesterday I went thru the dresser again, and finally got into the bedroom closet and got a bunch of stuff cleared out of it. That ties in to my motivation for this week... keeping up with the household and the healthful chores.

Would love to join! I would love to loose a total of 65 lbs from my Jan 1st 2019 weigh in. I lost 8lbs in January

:welcome: so happy you want to join us. Wow what an amazing January effort, you are off to a great start :thumbsup2

a close neighbor just passed away, and we will be attending the wake/funeral

I'm so sorry to hear about you losing a friend :hug:

I did ok with my goals this weekend

Great work on not finishing that soft drink :thumbsup2

had a pretty crappy weekend eating wise, I really need to get myself into gear. And with it being so cold, I wanted something warm for breakfast, so stopped at Starbucks for a hot Chai and some Oatmeal... totally forgetting my goal of only 4 SBs this month.

It is so early in the month, you can easily turn this around :thumbsup2

The Well Being habit for this week is 'Clean Start'... every day we're to clean/organize something, even if it is just a drawer. Yesterday I went thru the dresser again, and finally got into the bedroom closet and got a bunch of stuff cleared out of it. That ties in to my motivation for this week... keeping up with the household and the healthful chores.

I still have so much tidying to do to get my house where I want it to be too. I am working on something each day at the moment as well... whether it be getting the back yard ready for paving or the folding (Konmarie style) before I got into bed last night. Starting tonight I really really have to clear the dining table - it has become the dumping ground and I have to wade through paperwork - toss it or file it :eek:

I forgot to answer my own question. I am being motivated at the moment by my scales and app. My scales have an app on my phone that logs my weight along with BMI, fat percentage and a host of other things - there are 2 things on there I like to see the most - 1 is the circle graphic that represents the BMI seing it move a little each day towards overweight from obese and 2 using the weekly or monthly graph to see my downward tracking.

I have recently found motivation in my Fitbit app. I like seeing all the circles turn green when I hit my goals. At first it was just about the steps. Once I started doing workouts (exercise videos at home), I started paying attention to the active minutes (where the heart rate is up). Since I have a 2-story house, I next started trying to reach the goal of going up & down 10 floors. This one is often completed just before I go get ready for bed. I'll see that I've only done 3 floors and the next thing I'm just walking up and down the steps. I'm pretty sure my kids think I'm crazy. The other two goals currently showing on my app are miles walked and calories burned. Those are usually my harder ones to reach, so it really pushes me. But I'm a checklist type of person, so I really like seeing all of them turn green. It's like completing a To-Do list. I'm also motivated by the fact that I've hit the 10 pound weight loss. That feels good and motivates me to keep going!

Hmm... motivation... there were cake samples at the wedding expo Saturaday, and a fried appetizer at dinner, and while I TRIED to resist, they ganged up on me and forced themselves into my stomach!!! It's true!!!

OMG, I had the *WORST* nightmares Saturday night, even in tiny little bites, that was SO.MUCH.SUGAR!!! (That's what I'm telling myself, that it was the sugar that caused the nightmares, so that's why I should stop fantasizing about more cake...) There was one sample that we all just loved, but I have to question whether it was really as good as it seemed and as I'm remembering, or if it was just my body celebrating all that sugar in concentrated form! Luckily, the wedding is out in the sticks, and the bakeries near the venue don't have that flavor, otherwise I might eat the whole wedding cake myself!

So here is a story on why you should ALWAYS plan your day/meals ahead of time...

In celebration of "National Homemade Soup Day" I planned and made bean soup... planned it at the beginning of the month, knew it was coming, but didn't really think about that when I was getting breakfast this morning. So, since I had school today, I made myself a ham-and-egg breakfast sandwich, and when I do that, I always use double-fiber bread, because it's hard getting enough fiber some days... Except when you're eating bean soup for dinner...fiber packed! Well, I did my tracking/planning after breakfast and realized I was going to be WAY HIGH on fiber today (read as "pooping glass shards or possibly not at all...) but the soup was already in the crock pot... so there I was, trying to figure out WHAT I could do for lunch that was fiber-less, but not a ton of white carbs, because after all that cake on Saturday, I don't need to be going down that path...

So again, the moral of the story... PLAN AHEAD!!! (And if not, drink a ton of water and hope for the best!)

:welcome: @njcarita Nice job in January; I'm sure February will be just as great.

What's motivating me this week is I didn't lose anything last week! Another thing I'm noticing (not sure if it's motivating me) is that one tummy roll is no longer a roll, but a bulge. So eventually I'd like to get rid of that bulge! And today for lunch I had leftover pizza, but stopped when I was full. I just put that half eaten piece back in the fridge and walked away!

@Zhoen - first of all yum, second of all nightmares not a good side effect third I hope your water worked ;) I love your stories you make me laugh.

What's motivating me this week is I didn't lose anything last week! Another thing I'm noticing (not sure if it's motivating me) is that one tummy roll is no longer a roll, but a bulge. So eventually I'd like to get rid of that bulge! And today for lunch I had leftover pizza, but stopped when I was full. I just put that half eaten piece back in the fridge and walked away!

Yeah for progress from roll to bulge to hopefully nothing at all very soon!

Topic Tuesday

To get of us off to a good start lets chat about a basic healthy living need (which for the most part is FREE) – this is a goal a few of us are working on this month.

Here is a link to 15 benefits of drinking water – if you scroll down after the end of the article there is another interesting read about what happens when you drink too much water. That’s right as with everything too much of anything is not necessarily good

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/290814.php

How are you going with water consumption? Is it something you like the taste of or do you find yourself needing to add a flavour in some way? If you need to improve what are some strategies you could try this week? If you have successfully changed up your water habits, what differences did it make?

Bonus Question: When at Disney how do you hydrate? Do you notice differences there than at home in your habits?

How are you going with water consumption?

I think I am actually doing really well. Approx 4 weeks ago - I just made up my mind I had to seriously take control of a very bad soft drink habit - it was mostly sugar free, but still not good. This time it is sticking so far and am averaging 2 litres per day.

Is it something you like the taste of or do you find yourself needing to add a flavour in some way?

I'm actually more ok with drinking just plain old water more than I have previously been

If you need to improve what are some strategies you could try this week?

My strategies will continue to be to make sure its cold - I like cold water - I bought a double walled drink bottle that keeps it nice a cool. As soon as it is empty I refill it. I keep it handy, within easy reach. I drink regularly.

If you have successfully changed up your water habits, what differences did it make?

Well apart from visiting the restroom more often! Which at work means I get in more steps which includes a flight of stairs :rotfl: I have noticed a couple of things, dark shadows under my eyes have gone, my skin in general looks better and is less dry (although that could also be from all the good fats/oils that are in my new Keto eating). I am saving $$$ not buying all the soft drink I used to :thumbsup2 I tend to fill up my water bottle at home before I leave and then use the cold water filter at work to refill.

How are you going with water consumption? Is it something you like the taste of or do you find yourself needing to add a flavour in some way?

It goes up and down. When I'm in my normal routine, where my water bottle is right there at work, at do pretty well. When I'm out of my routine, I sometimes slip.

I usually like the taste fine, but I do sometimes get bored (or cold, as I mentioned above) and switch to tea.

Topic Tuesday

How are you going with water consumption? Is it something you like the taste of or do you find yourself needing to add a flavour in some way? If you need to improve what are some strategies you could try this week? If you have successfully changed up your water habits, what differences did it make?

Bonus Question: When at Disney how do you hydrate? Do you notice differences there than at home in your habits?

I have a medical condition that require I stay hydrated... so I have 2 bottles of water next to my bed and drink both before starting my day. Plant nanny i a great fun app to log your water! I used it when I first started to have to uptake my water. Water is the only liquid I drink besides a half a cup of coffee a day, so I aim for a minimum of 64oz a day but I deal for me is closer to 80oz.

As to hydrating at Disney sadly have not been their since 2010 :sad:

For the most part I'm good at getting my daily water requirements. I drink all day at work and have several more glasses at home in the evening. If I don't get enough I see it in my skin very quickly.

At Disney I'm very conscious of drinking water, because there is usually a lot of sweating involved! I'll start with drinking a bottle in the hotel room before I head out and keeping chugging it down thru the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter