Feeling Sad about my Happy Place

Scootin'By

DIS Veteran
I've been going through some stuff lately (mostly depression and anxiety). I'm trying to work through it with a professional, but it's been hard. One of the toughest things is that I'm not as interested in going to the Disney Parks right now. Getting there seems difficult, the rides seem scary (especially the new ones), and it just doesn't seem fun. This makes me so sad because, even though I don't get to visit very often, I love to think about my next trip and all of the fun, exciting things I'll do.

I still get excited about the movies and TV shows. I can't wait to see The Little Mermaid! I've also tried some of their board games, but I really just want to feel excitement for the Disney parks again 😥

I've been going through some stuff lately (mostly depression and anxiety). I'm trying to work through it with a professional, but it's been hard. One of the toughest things is that I'm not as interested in going to the Disney Parks right now. Getting there seems difficult, the rides seem scary (especially the new ones), and it just doesn't seem fun. This makes me so sad because, even though I don't get to visit very often, I love to think about my next trip and all of the fun, exciting things I'll do.

I still get excited about the movies and TV shows. I can't wait to see The Little Mermaid! I've also tried some of their board games, but I really just want to feel excitement for the Disney parks again 😥

Just know that when you walk thru the gates, you will feel the magic, regardless of what you anticipate now. :)

I love all of the ideas! I hope I'm able to try them out when I'm ready.

Thanks for your support ❤️

how are you feeling this week ? I know it’s only a week or less, but sometimes we can feel a little better, and sometimes a little worse. I hope for sunnier days ahead 🌈

I had a spark today, just for a few minutes. "Ready for the Ride" came on and at that moment all I wanted to do was stand in the parade route in Disneyland.

I think you're right they as soon as I gi through the gates it will all come rushing back. Maybe different than before, but it'll be there.

Thank you all ❤️

One of the toughest things is that I'm not as interested in going to the Disney Parks right now. Getting there seems difficult, the rides seem scary (especially the new ones), and it just doesn't seem fun.
I went through this in 2015. We had a bad DL trip with extreme over-crowding and low pin trading - it just wasn't fun.

So we took a break until I started coming back in 2019. I'd never done a DL day trip before and now I love it! I fly down in the morning, uber out and spend the day at the park until 3pm, then uber back and fly back home again at 5pm. I spend so much less and enjoy it so much more because it's just for the day.

As for the rides, I finally rode Splash our last trip. I am not a heights person but it was leaving so I took the leap. I also like that the DL app tells you what each ride entails. It makes me feel better about trying new rides (like Smuggler's Run) without youtubing them first.

This last trip I also noticed my tastes have changed. I didn't enjoy POTC and I don't like the changes they've made to the train tunnel. I also spent more time at DCA and enjoyed it much more than I had previous trips. It really is 'to everything there is a season' and I realized each trip is unique in its own way and as the years go on I'll stop liking certain things and start liking others. It's just part of time, it changes all.

Anxiety can really affect how you feel about life favorites like Disney. I know. Me, too.

Being patient when nothing much seems to thrill me is hard, but it eventually eases.

I also use a big rubber band on one wrist that I snap once or twice, not hard, to jolt me out of dwelling on things. That helps. I get distracted and then can focus on other happier things.

Maybe some little things like these will be things you'd like to try.

Thinking of you also, ScootinBy :hug:

Pindecisive, what a kind and wise share, thank you! My own preferences/needs at Disneyland and in general have sure changed from my younger days! Positive blessing though for sure and each trip as in each day indeed brings new possibility and hope, fun, too ::MickeyMo

I'm loving all of the support. I really appreciate it.

I think time is going to mend wounds. Taking it slow. Maybe trying a rubber band :) And then seeing what I like the next time I'm there, whether that's new or old. At least it's Disney!

And hey, there are always new movies coming out! I'm taking my daughter to see Little Mermaid this weekend. I'll take the small things in life too :)

Thanks all! ❤️

Although I didn't visit Disney, I did visit a theme park today and had ... I don't know what to call it -- a set back. This ride was billed as a Soarin' type ride, which I've done and loved! But it was much more like the old Back to the Future ride at Universal (small, maybe only holding 10 people, enclosed with locking doors, and a tight seatbelt).

The panic started in as soon as the doors closed and the ride attendant left. The shakey, trmbling feeling. I tried to breath through it and was doing well until the pause just went on and one (it felt like more than a few minutes with just nothing happening). I imagined I was stuck already, that no one would be able to hear me call out if I needed help. I was closing my eyes and trying to take deep measured breaths when ... the ride started and I breathed this BIG sigh of relief.

I left the ride shakey and still a little panicked. Found myself a quiet place to sit for a few minutes and just decompressed.

I don't feel like a failure exactly, I mean, I made it through the ride (hurray me, I guess). But I am worried about having similar reactions on Big Thunder Mountain (an old favorite) or Flight of Passage or Ratatouille.

Ugh. Just feel like crying again.

Although I didn't visit Disney, I did visit a theme park today and had ... I don't know what to call it -- a set back. This ride was billed as a Soarin' type ride, which I've done and loved! But it was much more like the old Back to the Future ride at Universal (small, maybe only holding 10 people, enclosed with locking doors, and a tight seatbelt).

The panic started in as soon as the doors closed and the ride attendant left. The shakey, trmbling feeling. I tried to breath through it and was doing well until the pause just went on and one (it felt like more than a few minutes with just nothing happening). I imagined I was stuck already, that no one would be able to hear me call out if I needed help. I was closing my eyes and trying to take deep measured breaths when ... the ride started and I breathed this BIG sigh of relief.

I left the ride shakey and still a little panicked. Found myself a quiet place to sit for a few minutes and just decompressed.

I don't feel like a failure exactly, I mean, I made it through the ride (hurray me, I guess). But I am worried about having similar reactions on Big Thunder Mountain (an old favorite) or Flight of Passage or Ratatouille.

Ugh. Just feel like crying again.

Progression is one step forward 2 steps back, Yay you, for taking the step, any step. It isn’t easy to do, it’s MUCH easier not to do. You did get through the ride, even with a panic attack and you should really congratulate yourself.

The world hasn’t been easy to manipulate these past few years, try to be gentle on yourself. 🥰

I just wanted to let everyone know that I've been doing okay lately. I almost wrote good, but I think okay is a better description.

My anxiety levels are way down, the mood is more stable, I'm able to enjoy things a little more. Things are improving.

I'm trying to take things day-to-day and that's hard for me. But if I start to look too far ahead then I get sort of overwhelmed and a bit depressed. So, day-to-day it is.

I have set a new goal. I used to run a few times a week and so I popped into the runDisney corner and that rekindled an interest. I have a personal goal now to run a virtual 5k and an actual 5k this calendar year and then maybe in the future when time allows try to run a Disney half-marathon. We'll see. But it's nice to have a goal and it feels really good to exercise again. Getting up early to run is always a pain, but I feel so much better afterwards that it's worth it

Anyways, just wanted to check in. Thanks for listening and for your support 😀❤️

Hey Scootin'By, I have never ventured past the DL trip planning board until tonight. Something just told me to take a look and came across your post.

I applaud you in seeking help which is something I just couldn't bring myself to do until recently. In a short amount of time is has really been awesome. It is not a 100 yard dash but it is a marathon of sorts so do take those small wins and embrace them.

You deserve to feel "good" and not just ok. And in turn, You deserve to feel "great" and not just "good" You are not alone! I know from experience that a lot of things are easier said than done

As of late I have found my Capt Jack quote in my signature line quite fitting....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter