Feeling Sad about my Happy Place

Thank you for the kind words flyingdumbo127.

I feel there are a lot of negatives associated with social media these days but there are definitely some really positive and powerful aspects to it as well such as the DISboards.

Just wanted to tell you, you are not alone. I've been struggling with depression for as long as I can remember and in the last two years anxiety is added to it. It is getting worse and I am starting schema therapy in a group setting next week. Dreading it.

In the meantime... I have an AP at Disneyland Paris and could go basically anytime I want, but it just feels like too much trouble.

I have to use some vacation days and planned on a week in early December. I didn't have anything at the top of my bucket list I wanted to do, so decided on Las Vegas to see the Grand Canyon. But now, all I feel is that it's such a long flight from Europe, and it is an expensive trip. I don't think in my current mindset I am able to enoy it.

Then I thought, Disneyland is near Las Vegas, I could just go there for a few days. And I just don't believe I would enjoy it. I am not particularly into Christmas and that some of the normal entertainment isn't there is a drawback.

And being miserable at Disney is twice as bad as being miserable at home, because everyone around you is happy (Or pretends to be happy 😉 ). I know it is going to drain even more energy than just staying at home.

So, again, just saying, you are not alone in not wanting to go to your happy place. :hug:

Just wanted to tell you, you are not alone. I've been struggling with depression for as long as I can remember and in the last two years anxiety is added to it. It is getting worse and I am starting schema therapy in a group setting next week. Dreading it.

In the meantime... I have an AP at Disneyland Paris and could go basically anytime I want, but it just feels like too much trouble.

I have to use some vacation days and planned on a week in early December. I didn't have anything at the top of my bucket list I wanted to do, so decided on Las Vegas to see the Grand Canyon. But now, all I feel is that it's such a long flight from Europe, and it is an expensive trip. I don't think in my current mindset I am able to enoy it.

Then I thought, Disneyland is near Las Vegas, I could just go there for a few days. And I just don't believe I would enjoy it. I am not particularly into Christmas and that some of the normal entertainment isn't there is a drawback.

And being miserable at Disney is twice as bad as being miserable at home, because everyone around you is happy (Or pretends to be happy 😉 ). I know it is going to drain even more energy than just staying at home.

So, again, just saying, you are not alone in not wanting to go to your happy place. :hug:
All of this is what I'm feeling too! I want to go and be able to enjoy myself, I want to be happy, but I'm really afraid that I won't be, that I'll be scared and miserable instead. And like you said, surrounded by happy people! It's making me delay the decision, question the decision, dread making the decision, all of the above. Add that in with a small social circle, not a lot of friends who want to travel down to WDW, and a recent family split, and it all makes things seem impossible.

So here's what I'm doing - I'm taking it day-by-day. Christmas is too far away for me to think about, so I'm thinking about between now and Halloween. I can deal with six week periods of time. And with that, things seem manageable again. Yesterday I enjoyed an episode of Netflix's new series One Piece. This weekend I'm going to my daughter's field hockey game. Next weekend? Who knows, and that's okay with me :)

Stay strong, Karin! ❤️

I'm hanging in there. It's been a tough few days with some dark thoughts, but I'm getting through it. I've been doing a lot of runnning, which really helps to focus my mind. The problem is, I can only run for so long each day LOL

Tomorrow is another day. Thanks for checking in. I really appreciate the support ❤️

I ran a 5k on Sunday morning. It was really good. At the starting line, surrounded by people, I felt a little anxious and for just a second I questioned why I was doing this. But then the race started and I was just able to run. It felt really good.

I've been thinking about planning a trip to Disney sometime next year. No firm dates yet, just kind of thinking that it might be nice to go. But I'm still sort of scared. I read that last week there was a monorail stuck for 90 minutes and the passengers had to be rescued by fire truck or scissor lift or something. I heard before that about a colleague getting stuck on It's a Small World for an hour. Every time I think about getting stuck on a ride, my heart skips a beat.

I'm not giving up hope. I'm taking all of your advice and thinking about how GREAT it would feel just to walk down Main Street. I mean, that's almost a dream right?! NOT having to stand in super long rides, just being able to enjoy the rest of the park! But it still makes me sad. It would be better if I had someone to go with, but right now I don't, and I think going by myself would just feel sad.

It's going to take time to figure out this new normal. I'm going to figure it out!

Thanks for listening ❤️

I ran a 5k on Sunday morning. It was really good. At the starting line, surrounded by people, I felt a little anxious and for just a second I questioned why I was doing this. But then the race started and I was just able to run. It felt really good.

I've been thinking about planning a trip to Disney sometime next year. No firm dates yet, just kind of thinking that it might be nice to go. But I'm still sort of scared. I read that last week there was a monorail stuck for 90 minutes and the passengers had to be rescued by fire truck or scissor lift or something. I heard before that about a colleague getting stuck on It's a Small World for an hour. Every time I think about getting stuck on a ride, my heart skips a beat.

I'm not giving up hope. I'm taking all of your advice and thinking about how GREAT it would feel just to walk down Main Street. I mean, that's almost a dream right?! NOT having to stand in super long rides, just being able to enjoy the rest of the park! But it still makes me sad. It would be better if I had someone to go with, but right now I don't, and I think going by myself would just feel sad.

It's going to take time to figure out this new normal. I'm going to figure it out!

Thanks for listening ❤️
How did I miss this post?? Sounds like a lot of great progress! I can hear the positivity in the phrases you are using, that is outstanding and really happy for you!

@Karin1984 How are you doing these days? Hope all is well.

@Karin1984 How are you doing these days? Hope all is well.
Yeah, I'm doing okay at the moment. Had to cancel my December trip to the US as other life stuff came up. I have a solo day in Disneyland Paris this Thursday, and then 2 days with my Disney buddy. That's doable.

I am looking at vacation next year, and I'm not sure yet. There are no places I really want to visit now. I can go to Morocco (for example), but when I think I'm not going to enjoy it, isn't it better to go to a 'safe' place I know, like Disney World? But a weeklong solo trip to Disney doesn't sound appealing either.

So, mentally at the moment it's okay. Don't ask me about trips ;-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter