~~figure Skating Moms, Unite!~~

Scrappinmom,

I live just south of you (literally). Does your dd skate at the Ice House or the new Leafs Ice Centre?

SHe's still at the Ice House...her coaches are all there. Only a few of the coaches have moved over to the Leafs Center. I don't think either of her 3 coaches will leave the ice house.

How about you? do you have a skater???

My screen name compels me to post!

I'm guess I'm technically a hockey mom now (I have 2 hockey boys), but I've been 'sk8ingmom' since I joined my first discussion board - I was 25, married, pregnant and competing on a national-level senior synchro team. I made it through sectionals that year, but had to skip skating Nationals since I was starting to look pregnant in those little dresses!

Level: senior synchro (international appointment in junior and senior - 7 count 'em SEVEN fourth place finishes at Nationals...never got on the freeking podium!), silver dance, novice moves, juvenile free, I'm old enough to have passed 3rd test figures :eek:

How long have I been skating: 32 years (I'm 35)

Best memory: see below

Worst: dislocating my kneecap 2.5 minutes into a 4 minute program in the middle of a competition. My first coach always told us that if we weren't bleeding and there wasn't a bone sticking out, to just keep going, so I did! I also have 2 scars from landing jumps on my face, chin (lutz) and next to my eye (double toe)

I just want to say THANK YOU to the skating moms of the world. My mom died young (she was 49, I was 25) and really some of the best memories I have are from traveling all over the country together and crying in the stands with her after I finished my last Nationals. I know she enjoyed the whole 20 year experience as much as I did.

Oh, and mothers of petite, girly, pretty, ice princesses beware. I'm still small-ish (5'2", 115 lbs) but I spend most of my time on the ice now playing adult hockey!!! :eek:

My dad has a hard time with that one.

I actually live in MD, but literally about 10 minutes from Newark, DE. Do you live in DE? Thanks for the heads up about The Pond, I was going to look into that but, since you mentioned the school, I might have to check into that. Can you tell me more about their skating prgram?? I would be fairly close to therel, maybe 20 minutes or so. I'd appreciate any info you have! Thanks

The best way to start is to join a rink that has a USFS learn to skate group program that goes through the different elements, progresses through the different levels, to which time that your child would have the skills and/or interest to start with a coach on a one to one basis. The number for the University of Delaware FSC/Fred Rust Arena is 302-831-2868. Here is a link:
http://www.udel.edu/icearena/skating/index.html

My screen name compels me to post!

I'm guess I'm technically a hockey mom now (I have 2 hockey boys), but I've been 'sk8ingmom' since I joined my first discussion board - I was 25, married, pregnant and competing on a national-level senior synchro team. I made it through sectionals that year, but had to skip skating Nationals since I was starting to look pregnant in those little dresses!

Level: senior synchro (international appointment in junior and senior - 7 count 'em SEVEN fourth place finishes at Nationals...never got on the freeking podium!), silver dance, novice moves, juvenile free, I'm old enough to have passed 3rd test figures :eek:

How long have I been skating: 32 years (I'm 35)

Best memory: see below

Worst: dislocating my kneecap 2.5 minutes into a 4 minute program in the middle of a competition. My first coach always told us that if we weren't bleeding and there wasn't a bone sticking out, to just keep going, so I did! I also have 2 scars from landing jumps on my face, chin (lutz) and next to my eye (double toe)

I just want to say THANK YOU to the skating moms of the world. My mom died young (she was 49, I was 25) and really some of the best memories I have are from traveling all over the country together and crying in the stands with her after I finished my last Nationals. I know she enjoyed the whole 20 year experience as much as I did.

Oh, and mothers of petite, girly, pretty, ice princesses beware. I'm still small-ish (5'2", 115 lbs) but I spend most of my time on the ice now playing adult hockey!!! :eek:

My dad has a hard time with that one.

hahah! Thanks for that insight! Which Syncro team were you on? Many of my dd's friends have joined the Chicago Jazz, she just has no interest in syncro & is happy as a clam with TOI.

I'm assuming you skated syncro in college as well?

Nice to meet you :)

13is a rough age anyway, and the drama is unreal...sometimes when mine is sobbing, i try to remember that it's 85% drama, 10% hormones depending on what time of the month it is, and 5% real, and that for the most part she will not know ANY of these nasty people within the next 5 years of her life.

yep! thats GREAT advice.:thumbsup2 thats so so true. 13 is an age where even if you paid me a million dollars, i would not be that age again!!

SHe's still at the Ice House...her coaches are all there. Only a few of the coaches have moved over to the Leafs Center. I don't think either of her 3 coaches will leave the ice house.

How about you? do you have a skater???

My dd5 just began lessons a few weeks ago at Leafs as have I after nine years away from lessons.

disney[xo]sweetie;23178085 said:
woohoo! good job!!! :banana: :banana:
waltz jump! wow! i could never even imagine doing that!

I am still pretty shakey doing it and I think it looks pretty sad, but it's a start.

Can I join in? Not a figure skating Mom (since no kids), but I am a former figure skater and coached part time up until about 2 years ago. I just love the sport. I passed junior moves, novice free, and 6th figure. I loved figures and would have probably gotten my gold in figures if they were not eliminated. My only regret was that in skating. I skated in the Chicago area and skated with Timothy (always Timmy to me) Goebel, Melissa Gregory (from same town and school, brother was closer to me in school), and Ben Agosto over the years. Scary thought though, in college, I missed having as much skating time (went from 5 days to 3 days a week), so I started playing hockey!:laughing: My parents wondered what happened to their little figure skater when I announced that one!

I skated in the Chicago area and skated with Timothy (always Timmy to me) Goebel, Melissa Gregory (from same town and school, brother was closer to me in school), and Ben Agosto over the years.

My dh used to work with Timothy (Timmy) Goebel's dad.

Just felt like throwing that out there :upsidedow

My dd5 just began lessons a few weeks ago at Leafs as have I after nine years away from lessons.

That's GREAT! I have heard good things about their rink ! Anythings better than the smelly ice house !!

Who's her coach? I think one of the only coaches I know over there is Amber? Well I don't really know her, but I know she left our rink after some hissy fight with other coaches (probably on both sides i'm sure)...

I've never ever ever had on a pair of skates! hahah Good for you for taking lessons too!

Can I join in? Not a figure skating Mom (since no kids), but I am a former figure skater and coached part time up until about 2 years ago. I just love the sport. I passed junior moves, novice free, and 6th figure. I loved figures and would have probably gotten my gold in figures if they were not eliminated. My only regret was that in skating. I skated in the Chicago area and skated with Timothy (always Timmy to me) Goebel, Melissa Gregory (from same town and school, brother was closer to me in school), and Ben Agosto over the years. Scary thought though, in college, I missed having as much skating time (went from 5 days to 3 days a week), so I started playing hockey!:laughing: My parents wondered what happened to their little figure skater when I announced that one!

ANOTHER skater turned hockey gal - you guys are scaring me!!!!

Another sk8er mom here. DD9 is at FS2 now, started with pre-alpha 1 3 yrs ago, but then didn't take the next class for another year. We finally started with private lessons about 1.5 yrs ago. We have a local ISI competition here next weekend - and her compulsary event is at 6:26 AM Sunday - yes, AM!!! SO not looking forward to that.

We surprised her last night, for Valentine's, with tickets to Smuckers Stars on Ice, with Sasha Cohen, that will be in town this Monday. She is thrilled! Anyone been to that?

We're off. We are leaving for the Eastern Ontario Star Skate Competition (EOSIC) , our qualifier for Provincial. We have two streams here in Canada.

StarSkate or test stream which leads to Provincials and Nationals (Pre-prelim, Prelim, jr. bronze, Sr bronze etc

and

Competitive which leads to junior or senior national (pre-juv, juv, pre novice etc)

If you compete at Prejuv you can still do Starskate in any event
If you compete at Juv or novice you can compete starskate in a diff event (example pre-novice dance and sr bronze freeskate)

What it means is that we have two major comps per year, sectionals in November and EOSIC in Feb. DD11 has 150 competitors in her field, that was the cut off number, I would say her chances are slim :goodvibes . DS though has only 20 competitors in freeskate, so cross your fingers for us.

Cindy

Another sk8er mom here. DD9 is at FS2 now, started with pre-alpha 1 3 yrs ago, but then didn't take the next class for another year. We finally started with private lessons about 1.5 yrs ago. We have a local ISI competition here next weekend - and her compulsary event is at 6:26 AM Sunday - yes, AM!!! SO not looking forward to that.

We surprised her last night, for Valentine's, with tickets to Smuckers Stars on Ice, with Sasha Cohen, that will be in town this Monday. She is thrilled! Anyone been to that?

Hi there! We've been to Smuckers 3 times now...both of my girls LOVE It!!!

hahah I hear you about the AM thing.....I am so not a morning person! those ealy am skates and competitions kill me! although dd seems to be just fine with them. Good luck next weekend:goodvibes

Good luck to those competing this weekend! I remember those early AM competitions and practices. I guess that is why I can still get up at 5:15 to go to the fitness center in my buidling to work out

oh, so many memories of the early mornings! dd13 discovered the goodness of a cup of coffee in the morning at 7 years old, and now the twins want coffee! (and theyre the type of kids when you give them sugar, they literally bounce off the walls!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter