~~figure Skating Moms, Unite!~~

We're off. We are leaving for the Eastern Ontario Star Skate Competition (EOSIC) , our qualifier for Provincial. We have two streams here in Canada.

StarSkate or test stream which leads to Provincials and Nationals (Pre-prelim, Prelim, jr. bronze, Sr bronze etc

and

Competitive which leads to junior or senior national (pre-juv, juv, pre novice etc)

If you compete at Prejuv you can still do Starskate in any event
If you compete at Juv or novice you can compete starskate in a diff event (example pre-novice dance and sr bronze freeskate)

What it means is that we have two major comps per year, sectionals in November and EOSIC in Feb. DD11 has 150 competitors in her field, that was the cut off number, I would say her chances are slim :goodvibes . DS though has only 20 competitors in freeskate, so cross your fingers for us.

Cindy

DS14 was 11th in his freeskate, had a great skate but doesn't have the solid doubles that the others do.

DD11 was 12th in her freeskate, she also had a great skate but doesn't have the jumps that the others do.

However we are going to provincials. DS and his partner placed 1st in dance and even managed to impressed coaches, judges and offiacials. 10 weeks ago DD and partner placed last at sectionals, they also placed last at all the other competitions they have done. So to place second in their 1st dance this weekend and totally Wow everyone with the second, was a major accomplishment.

Now the real work begins, they have a competition in 2 weeks with 2 new dances, this will be their first chance competing one level higher then they are now, and just one week after that they repeat the dances they skated this weekend but at provincials. So they will be working on 4 dances plus their free dance over then next few weeks.

The bad news is that DS's skates are too small again :headache: and he scratched his foot today on some metal and can't even put a shoe on.

Cindy

1whats your daughters age? Kaitlyn age 10
2.how long has she been skating? since she was 5
3what level is she skating at? pre-primilinary/jr
4.what was the "best moment" seeing her compete in her first competition to her music from POTC....I love when she does her arabess (spelling) She is so graceful.
5what was the "worst moment" in figure skating? none just yet

DS14 was 11th in his freeskate, had a great skate but doesn't have the solid doubles that the others do.

DD11 was 12th in her freeskate, she also had a great skate but doesn't have the jumps that the others do.

However we are going to provincials. DS and his partner placed 1st in dance and even managed to impressed coaches, judges and offiacials. 10 weeks ago DD and partner placed last at sectionals, they also placed last at all the other competitions they have done. So to place second in their 1st dance this weekend and totally Wow everyone with the second, was a major accomplishment.

Now the real work begins, they have a competition in 2 weeks with 2 new dances, this will be their first chance competing one level higher then they are now, and just one week after that they repeat the dances they skated this weekend but at provincials. So they will be working on 4 dances plus their free dance over then next few weeks.

The bad news is that DS's skates are too small again :headache: and he scratched his foot today on some metal and can't even put a shoe on.

Cindy

Congrats to both!! it takes so much guts to even just go on the ice and skate. good job with the dance stuff too! that was a HUGE accomplishment!!
:woohoo: :woohoo:

RunDanceSkate - congrats to the kiddos!

DD's competition is this Sunday - just a small, local thing, but she is still excited all the same.

We went to Smucker's Starts on Ice last night. It was GREAT! Of course DD didn't know who any of the skaters were, except for Saha Cohen. She ended up being the only one who fell - twice! The pairs were all really exciting. I must be SUCH a nerd, though. I was a little shocked at some of the songs they used - DD only listens to Radio Disney, so she is not exposed to "grown up" lyrics. Half the songs they used last night (along with how they skated to them) were a little "saucy." I wouldn't have given it second thought except for DD sitting there and I would think "I hope she isn't listening to these words." LOL - I loved the music myself - lots from the 80's!

Now it is time for me to try to get DD up for school. This will be a challenge since it was a late night!

Anyone here going test track instead? We're considering it. :confused3

my oldest dd has just kinda switched gears to the test track (not the one at Epcot though! hahahah)....SHe competed for 4 years, and had fun doing it, but really wants to make sure she has her Senior moves & fs & gold dance before she leaves for college in 4 1/2 years....

She's actually testing next week....int moves & finally pre juv fs (hasn't taken that yet because of competiting)...

We're finding the dance tests harder to manage...there really aren't any male skaters for her to practice with. We may have to travel up to the ROckford rink this summer to get those done.

Cindy

:woohoo: :woohoo: Congrats! Those are quite respectable & great finishes!!! & yeah for the dance ! I wish we could fine a partner for dd!!!

OUCH for ds's foot...I hope it feels better soon!.

We went to Smucker's Starts on Ice last night. It was GREAT!

hahah:rotfl: :rotfl: Oh yeah I forgot about that...I do remember dd looking at me kinda funny when what's his name ripped off his shirt a few years ago! Glad you had fun!

fun! my daughters get the most excited for local competitions, because sometimes have friends come, and its wayy more relaxed! good luck to her!!
and good luck with getting her up and ready! thats always dd6's big issue. she HATES waking up, while the other one is just wanting to get up and go to school in the morning! why cant twins be exactly perfectly identical?:sad2:

UGH Can I just vent to you guys?

testing this am...dd was just testing her freestyle...juv...she's already working on most of her doubles so this test was "supposed" to be a "gimmie".....she fell on her SIT and BACKSCRATCH!!!!!!!!!!! UGH UGH UGH

Hi, I'm a skating mom too!

My daughter is six and loves figure skating. She started two years ago and is nowhere near landing an axle like the OPs children. She is doing ISI right now and is moving up to Beta. She has also been on a synchro team the past two years.

Best Moment: Tie between her placing first in all events her first competition and her placing first at a Lake Placid competition last month. She was so excited with both.

Worst Moment: Practicing bunny hops, she grabbed on to my hand (I am a less than stellar skater) and she fell and hit her cheek. Nothing broken, but she didn't attempt another bunny hop for six months.

Hi! I am a skating mom also.

1. What's your daughter's age? 9
2. How long has she been skating? 2.5 years
3. What level is she skating at? just passed Pre MIF, skating No-Test FS this season
4. What was the "best moment"? Although I didn't get to see it she will tell you landing her first axel. Although now she is focused on a new program so she has not spent much time practicing it since her spins need some work. For me it is any time I see her compete. She gives me chills.
5. What was the "worst moment" in figure skating? when I was not able to attend her Pre MIF testing session, she tells me she will never forget it

I'm not a figure skating mom but I am a competitive figure skater.

Name: Meredith
Years in Figure Skating: 12
Level: Pre-Juvenile Freestyle/ Pre Gold Dance
Home Club: Berkley Royal Blades FSC (Berkley, Michigan)

I've been competing since age 7 and performing as well since 7. I've qualified for National Showcase 3 years in a row and I train only once a week for an hour every Friday (due to College life). I love my showcase program this season. Its 'Fabulous' from High School Musical 2. Soo excited yet so nervous to compete this weekend at Garden City. My mom has embelished and made some of my costumes throughout the years. I competed on my High School varsity skating team, earned my letter Freshman year, and took the state title in 06-07 skating season. I also hold the 3rd place state title for the longest held scratch spin. :D Yep, I love figure skating.

Meredith :tinker:

P.S. awesome figure skating site http://www.sk8stuff.com

My mom recently had to modify the pattern for my showcase costume cause it was a little smaller than my measurements. But ya know.

liamandcaili: thanks for the good luck wishes. I should have my results up on the boards Sunday night or Monday afternoon if all goes well.

Dd13 does showcase and LOVES it. She did the song makes me wanna pray by christina agulera. It was so cool to watch!! She got 1st in national showcase this year which we are really proud of. I love to embellish costumes with those swarvoski crystals! They just make everything so pretty and sparkly!

disney[xo]sweetie;23680586 said:
I love to embellish costumes with those swarvoski crystals! They just make everything so pretty and sparkly!

Do you use the hot-fix crystals or do you glue them yourself? I've been using hot-fix, but it seems like the applicator either works perfectly or the crystals consistently stick and I have to manually remove them with a needle. Any tips?

I have a question about figure skates. My 7 year old dd is working on basic 3/4 level of the learn to skate USFSA group lessons. Basically she just finished a session of non testing and finished the basic 3 and is working on basic 4 skills but still needs to officially test for basic 3.

She isn't a competitive skater but loves figure skating. She is finishing up a 20 week session in which 10 weeks were group lessons and remaining 10 weeks were learning a song for a group recital. The show is next weekend. She also did the fun session that was right afterwords the second half since her 3 year old sister was checking it out. Due to dance class conflicting with the next set of lessons she won't start lessons again until June.

By June she will need new skates for size. I'm curious if the skate makes a big difference. She will be working on skills like crossovers. Should I invest in a riedell skate for basic 4? Is there a better but cheaper alternative? While she isn't there yet in the long run she would love to learn a basic jump or something even though she isn't interested in competitive skating nor do we live in an area with a skating club etc. Also if I invest in expensive skates are they okay to pass down to her younger sister as she outgrows them or do they mold to your feet?

The skate does make a difference! However, you do not need to invest in the most expensive skate at your daughter's level. Riedell makes a wide range of skates and boots to suit all levels, and their beginner skates are pretty affordable. You should get a boot where the blade can be mounted. A good skate shop (I saw you were in MA...the Ice House in Wellesley and Cooke's in Wilmington are good. There is also a new pro shop in Kingston that just opened that I've heard good things about.) will be able to mount the skate, but also make any adjustments for your daughter.

Also, there shouldn't be a problem passing them on to little sis...unless your older daughter stays in them so long that the blades are too worn. Good luck!
My daughter is breaking in new skates this week. She came off the ice yesterday and was complaining quite a bit.

Do you use the hot-fix crystals or do you glue them yourself? I've been using hot-fix, but it seems like the applicator either works perfectly or the crystals consistently stick and I have to manually remove them with a needle. Any tips?

My mom uses E6000 glue to put on the crystals to my costumes. It adheres pretty well but make sure the room you crystalize in is well ventilated cause that stuff can be kinda strong. Hehe.....

Anywho, I have some good news, I took 1st place today in Pre Juv/Juv showcase!!!!!!! I'm soo happy and I qualified to go to National Showcase this summer. I'm really excited and had soo much fun competing.

Clori: I've skated in Riedells my entire skating career. In fact I think my first skates that I got when I started taking lessons were Ridell Gold Stars w/ a cornation ace blade. I think that Riedells are the best skates (soo comfortable. I'm in a RiedelL 1500 or something w/ Pattern 99 blades soo good). Your daughter should find them very comfortable and roomy.

Disney xo sweetie: Congrats to DD for placing 1st at National Showcase!!!! I can't wait to compete at Nationals in Minnesota this year. I really want to visit the Mall of America while I'm there. Would be a fun trip. Several girls from my home club (Berkley Royal Blades) competed and a few got pretty far. I think 2 got to parade of champions. Not bad. But congrats to DD. :dance3: :yay: :woohoo: :banana: :cool1:

I have a question about figure skates. My 7 year old dd is working on basic 3/4 level of the learn to skate USFSA group lessons. Basically she just finished a session of non testing and finished the basic 3 and is working on basic 4 skills but still needs to officially test for basic 3.

She isn't a competitive skater but loves figure skating. She is finishing up a 20 week session in which 10 weeks were group lessons and remaining 10 weeks were learning a song for a group recital. The show is next weekend. She also did the fun session that was right afterwords the second half since her 3 year old sister was checking it out. Due to dance class conflicting with the next set of lessons she won't start lessons again until June.

By June she will need new skates for size. I'm curious if the skate makes a big difference. She will be working on skills like crossovers. Should I invest in a riedell skate for basic 4? Is there a better but cheaper alternative? While she isn't there yet in the long run she would love to learn a basic jump or something even though she isn't interested in competitive skating nor do we live in an area with a skating club etc. Also if I invest in expensive skates are they okay to pass down to her younger sister as she outgrows them or do they mold to your feet?

You might want to check out the Don Jackson line of skates too. They make some good skates for beginners, but that are better than the typical department store skate. A lot of the girls at our club have started out in Jackson Competitiors.

As far as passing them down to a younger skater, that could work, as long as their feet are similar. I used to teach a family of three girls, one could use hand me downs, and the other couldn't, just due to different types of feet (wide vs. narrow, etc.)

Also, maybe your skating club has a "skate swap". Ours does once or twice a year, where people bring their gently used skates, and either trade for different sizes, or buy/sell for reasonable prices.

Anywho, I have some good news, I took 1st place today in Pre Juv/Juv showcase!!!!!!! I'm soo happy and I qualified to go to National Showcase this summer. I'm really excited and had soo much fun competing.

Congratulations! Days like that make all the hours in the cold rink and all the hard work worth it, don't they? Thanks for the info on the crystals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter