Finally getting to see the lights! Nov '11 Anniversary/Holiday/F&W PTR-New 11/4 p50

Thanks Doreen!

Why aren't you guys flying JetBlue this time? Was Southwest cheaper? You'll be fine with the seating - just make sure you are online at exactly 24 hours before your flight to check in & get your boarding pass unless you purchased early bird check-in. I'd recommend paying the $10 each for early bird check in for your return flight. It seems most people do that so they don't have to be bothered to check in while on vacation. So for those who do wait until 24 hours, you don't get very good boarding passes.

Jet Blue only flies from Boston & we usually hire a car to bring us to & from Boston & I did not want that expense so I figured we would drive to Manchester & leave the car there. I did not purchase the early bird check in (how early can you check in & how does that work if you are on vacation)??
I think I can still purchase it though. I will have to check it out.

Sounds like great plans!

We were at DHS to see the lights turned on and it was so cool. VERY crowded though, so be prepared. It was almost impossible to walk up and down the streets because of the people, but it dispersed pretty quickly. Regardless of how crowded it was, the spirit was there and it was magical. :)

We went to MVMCP too and it was a lot of fun. The parade and Holiday Wishes were so nice. :)

I'm not sure we want to be there right when they turn them on... maybe one night. :confused3 I've read that if you show up about 30 minutes later it is significantly less crowded. Is there anything special about the beginning that we wouldn't be able to see a little later?

Zach is going to love the cookies & hot chocolate at MVMCP! He's a big fan of hot chocolate!

Jet Blue only flies from Boston & we usually hire a car to bring us to & from Boston & I did not want that expense so I figured we would drive to Manchester & leave the car there. I did not purchase the early bird check in (how early can you check in & how does that work if you are on vacation)??
I think I can still purchase it though. I will have to check it out.

I think you'll like the ease of flying out of Manchester - we love it!

You can add on the early bird check in at any time. Without it, 24 hours is the earliest you can check in & you want to do it right then to get into the A boarding group. I've gotten B boarding passes checking in at 24 hours... but I think that was just the time we checked in as we rode the monorail! We were using our phones to do it... what a pain!

Great plans Amy....it sounds like this vacation is shaping up to be a definite departure from the ordinary! :thumbsup2

I'm looking forward to all the new things we'll get to see!

Woo hoo for Christmas time and seeing the lights!!

Boardwalk or Beach Club... I'd love to stay at either of those resorts! :cloud9: I really like the packing list idea for Alex and the family visit will definately be a big help too along with your books.

Loaded potatoes! :laughing: I'm no help either... I'd ask you guys to figure out my options too!

Ok caught up w/ all your plan making....

I knew some of it (like resort/flying and a few details) but I really like your pared down itineary..really focusing a few key componets per day!

It really has a realaxed feel too it :thumbsup2

(I am also Loving H expert advice...she is AWESOME :worship:)

You really have targeted what your family loves and I think the boys will appreciate that!

Plus 11/11/11 I love this too....a friend of mine in HS always would say when the time on the clock was 11:11 it was time to cherish the moment

so I say to you...work hard on the prep ahead of time and have good goals/tools in play and use that transistion time from home to Jeff's to Disney (like H said to ease them ) into this NEW Disney and then CHERISH IT!

J~

I like your plans! I think it's harder to plan a short trip. You feel like you have to get it all in and keep everyone happy at the same time. I'm facing the same thing for our October trip, which we have to also shave a day off of. Osborne Lights are seriously one of the most magical things ever. Be ready for the "snow". :)

Woo hoo for Christmas time and seeing the lights!!

Boardwalk or Beach Club... I'd love to stay at either of those resorts! :cloud9: I really like the packing list idea for Alex and the family visit will definately be a big help too along with your books.

Loaded potatoes! :laughing: I'm no help either... I'd ask you guys to figure out my options too!

The only problem with not knowing which resort we'll end up at is that I don't know which resort we'll end up at! :rotfl: I'd feel better having things set in stone. But I'll survive - I know we'll at least be at one or the other!

Ok caught up w/ all your plan making....

I knew some of it (like resort/flying and a few details) but I really like your pared down itineary..really focusing a few key componets per day!

It really has a realaxed feel too it :thumbsup2

(I am also Loving H expert advice...she is AWESOME :worship:)

You really have targeted what your family loves and I think the boys will appreciate that!

Plus 11/11/11 I love this too....a friend of mine in HS always would say when the time on the clock was 11:11 it was time to cherish the moment

so I say to you...work hard on the prep ahead of time and have good goals/tools in play and use that transistion time from home to Jeff's to Disney (like H said to ease them ) into this NEW Disney and then CHERISH IT!

J~

I'm glad to hear you think our itinerary has a relaxed feel to it!

I'll have to make sure we watch the clock to catch 11:11 on 11/11/11! :laughing: Zach loves to yell out, "I caught 6:00" or "I caught 7:45" whenever he sees time on the 15 minutes. He'll really get a kick out of 11:11 on 11/11/11!

Yes - I'll be doing lots of planning for this trip - not that I'm complaining about that! ;)

I like your plans! I think it's harder to plan a short trip. You feel like you have to get it all in and keep everyone happy at the same time. I'm facing the same thing for our October trip, which we have to also shave a day off of. Osborne Lights are seriously one of the most magical things ever. Be ready for the "snow". :)

Thanks Kelli!! I guess I shouldn't really consider this a "short" trip since we have almost five full days but it definitely seems different than our usual trips.

I saw that you have to shorten your trip by a day over on Tour Guide Mike... that stinks! But it sounds like you'll be able to make it work. :goodvibes

So for those of you who have seen the Osborne Lights, I have a couple questions. It sounds like it is very crowded when they first turn on the lights but the crowd thins out shortly after. Is there something special that can only be seen when they turn them on? Do they do a big dramatic countdown or something?

I've seen video of them dancing to the music... is that constant or do they stop and start?

I'm just trying to plan when to see them. I don't want to miss out on anything but I'd rather avoid the crowds if possible. Any thought or advice would be appreciated! :thumbsup2

So for those of you who have seen the Osborne Lights, I have a couple questions. It sounds like it is very crowded when they first turn on the lights but the crowd thins out shortly after. Is there something special that can only be seen when they turn them on? Do they do a big dramatic countdown or something?

I've seen video of them dancing to the music... is that constant or do they stop and start?

I'm just trying to plan when to see them. I don't want to miss out on anything but I'd rather avoid the crowds if possible. Any thought or advice would be appreciated! :thumbsup2

I couldn't tell you about anything special when they turn them on but I think that even IF they do something special when they turn them on to avoid it. Go later if possible after the crowds have thinned out. When we went, it was SO packed it was nearly unenjoyable. You won't get ANY pictures without loads of people in them either! Now, granted I went two weeks before Christmas, so maybe it won't be quite as crowded for you!

In 2004 when we saw the lights, we weren't there when they turned them on, so I am not sure. They are gorgeous no matter what time you go, though. :goodvibes

Last year when we went to see them, we got there just minutes before the scheduled time and found a spot on the fringes of the crowd. Yes, it's very packed and Demetri needed to be lifted up to see anything.

There's an announcement, I don't recall a countdown though we have it on video I could look at it again, then the lights all come on. There's nothing different that comes on from the rest of the evening, but I found it breathtaking to see. The crowds do thin very quickly as everyone starts to walk around the display.

My group of six split up into twos and Ariana and I strolled around together. It was very easy to manuever around, no bumping into people... in fact I enjoyed a bit of people watching too seeing everyone's various reactions to the lights. We easily could stop numerous times to allow me to take pictures, and I didn't disturb anyone with my stopping and going, nor did anyone disturb me.

There are radio DJs talking and they announce the various Christmas songs that come on every five minutes or so (I'm guessing on the duration between songs but it does start and stop) and the lights dance. A lot of people stop wandering at that point to just stand and watch. We had lots of personal space around us and it wasn't uncomfortable at all.

Hope some of that helps!

They had a special opening recording before the lights went on last year. It explained some of the history and stuff. Then it started 'snowing' for the first time, then there was a countdown and bam! the lights came on. It was really cool. I'm not sure we'd ever get there early enough to see them turned on again, but I'm glad we were there the first time.

Also, it was crowded, but we had a double stroller to manuver so chances are it wasn't THAT bad to walk up and down the streets, it was just bad for us because we had the wide stroller. :)

You definitely do not need to be there right away. Some of the crowds do leave after a little while. We ate dinner and then went to see them. They dance and play all night. :)

Then it started 'snowing' for the first time, then there was a countdown and bam! the lights came on.

Oh I forgot about the snow! :thumbsup2

It lasted just for a few minutes at the start when we were there.... not sure if it was supposed to be the whole time or not?

Last year when we went to see them, we got there just minutes before the scheduled time and found a spot on the fringes of the crowd. Yes, it's very packed and Demetri needed to be lifted up to see anything.

There's an announcement, I don't recall a countdown though we have it on video I could look at it again, then the lights all come on. There's nothing different that comes on from the rest of the evening, but I found it breathtaking to see. The crowds do thin very quickly as everyone starts to walk around the display.

My group of six split up into twos and Ariana and I strolled around together. It was very easy to manuever around, no bumping into people... in fact I enjoyed a bit of people watching too seeing everyone's various reactions to the lights. We easily could stop numerous times to allow me to take pictures, and I didn't disturb anyone with my stopping and going, nor did anyone disturb me.

There are radio DJs talking and they announce the various Christmas songs that come on every five minutes or so (I'm guessing on the duration between songs but it does start and stop) and the lights dance. A lot of people stop wandering at that point to just stand and watch. We had lots of personal space around us and it wasn't uncomfortable at all.

Hope some of that helps!

It lasted just for a few minutes at the start when we were there.... not sure if it was supposed to be the whole time or not?

I ditto pretty much everything Tracy said ...I would guess we were there during 1 of the busiest times...but it wasn't awful you can get a good feel for how crowded and not crowded it was in spots in my pixs

I would have have liked to wander and look at it more, bu the kids only could for so long, but they enjoyed it :thumbsup2 they especially liked when the lights would dance to a song! the side street was less full then the main part. and the most crowded it flet was waiting in line and taking out PP pix.

if I do it again, I'd try to go see it closer to park closer when hopefully most people have moved on for the night...during T-giving week Marsha (Diser) did it same week as me but went at 8 pm when park was closing and had it practically to themselves they kept the lights on past official closing...not sure if that is all the time or what though.

we saw the snow too, it seemed intermitment for us too

Replies later...

Because I'm getting nervous that we'll miss the Osborne Lights!!! :scared1:

That little Disney planning desktop widget shows the Osborne Lights as scheduled from 11/25/11 - 1/1/12!

I hope the DHS shift in operating hours on 11/10/11 is more accurate and they've just plugged in Thanksgiving - New Year's as the approximate timeframe on the widget!

My mom and I were in Disney the weekend before Thanksgiving last year and we saw the Osborne lights. It was't the first weekend for the lights, so my guess is they opend the weekend before. Or possibly earlier. I hope you get to see them during your trip.

We found a spot near the globe and Peace on Earth lights and had some snacks while we waited for the lights to turn on. It was truly spectacular watching all of those lights turn on and dance to holiday music. If your boys don't mind waiting a bit, I'd get there before the lights go on. And since you have to walk around to see it, you don't need to sit in one particular spot or get there too early.

I recopied my FB posts here:

no I doubt it ...we saw them before T-giving last yr...my guess is 1st week of Nov they will be on. Only Holiday stuff that starts after T-giving is the CLP and storytellers in EP

and then you said:

I guess 2-3 years ago they started after t-giving... So we'll see...

and I said:

I'd remain hopeful never trust the "real Disney info" LOL

:rotfl:

I couldn't tell you about anything special when they turn them on but I think that even IF they do something special when they turn them on to avoid it. Go later if possible after the crowds have thinned out. When we went, it was SO packed it was nearly unenjoyable. You won't get ANY pictures without loads of people in them either! Now, granted I went two weeks before Christmas, so maybe it won't be quite as crowded for you!

Crowds aren't so good for us so I'll definitely keep that in mind. Hopefully early November won't be as bad as right before Christmas.

In 2004 when we saw the lights, we weren't there when they turned them on, so I am not sure. They are gorgeous no matter what time you go, though. :goodvibes

I really hope we get to see them... :sad2:

Hope some of that helps!

Thanks for the info! I'd like to know what to expect so we can plan accordingly...

They had a special opening recording before the lights went on last year. It explained some of the history and stuff. Then it started 'snowing' for the first time, then there was a countdown and bam! the lights came on. It was really cool. I'm not sure we'd ever get there early enough to see them turned on again, but I'm glad we were there the first time.

Also, it was crowded, but we had a double stroller to manuver so chances are it wasn't THAT bad to walk up and down the streets, it was just bad for us because we had the wide stroller. :)

If we end up with a stroller, I'll have to make sure we park it before heading over to the lights. :thumbsup2

You definitely do not need to be there right away. Some of the crowds do leave after a little while. We ate dinner and then went to see them. They dance and play all night. :)

That's what I was hoping!

Ooo... snow sounds fun!

I ditto pretty much everything Tracy said ...I would guess we were there during 1 of the busiest times...but it wasn't awful you can get a good feel for how crowded and not crowded it was in spots in my pixs

I would have have liked to wander and look at it more, bu the kids only could for so long, but they enjoyed it :thumbsup2 they especially liked when the lights would dance to a song! the side street was less full then the main part. and the most crowded it flet was waiting in line and taking out PP pix.

if I do it again, I'd try to go see it closer to park closer when hopefully most people have moved on for the night...during T-giving week Marsha (Diser) did it same week as me but went at 8 pm when park was closing and had it practically to themselves they kept the lights on past official closing...not sure if that is all the time or what though.

we saw the snow too, it seemed intermitment for us too

I'm sure our kids will only take it for so long too! The dancing part sounds so cool. I bet the PP line is really long... I'd love to get a PP picture, but we'll see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter