First Camping Trip EVER... Help?!

Jordan Myers

Casablonda
My husband and I had annual passes for 5 years but decided to take this past year off of Disney to try and be responsible and pay down some debt. Well, the debt is nearly paid down, the Disney withdrawal is real, and our one year (October) is rapidly approaching. Naturally, we felt that there was no option but to purchase our new passes in time to go to Epcot for the final night of Illuminations and the first night of Epcot Forever! We went online last night to find resorts, but none of the prices were at all reasonable for a two-night trip during the week in October. (Thanks Star Wars!) Rather than fighting all that, we decided to try out camping.

Neither my husband nor myself are really the outdoorsy type, but we know plenty of people who have camped at WDW and loved it. Living in Georgia, if we can learn how to camp, it would be a nice way for us to get away for weekends for less than the fortune we normally spend on vacations. Being that we are (very) new to this, I figured I would ask a few questions for Disney camping vets. I'm sure these questions will be very basic to those of you who camp a lot, but we have 5 months to learn this camping thing! YouTube has been helpful, but they are all camping in the actual wilderness and not Fort Wilderness!

Basics of Our Trip:
We are checking in on Monday 9/30, and checking out Wednesday 10/2. We will be doing the Food and Wine Festival and purchasing annual passes when we arrive.

Questions:
1. If you are a tent camper at Walt Disney World, what brand/style tent do you have? What do you like about it? Would you recommend it?

2. What are the main necessities you ALWAYS bring with you when camping at Walt Disney World as far as equipment? (Air mattress vs. cots, tarps, etc...)

3. What are some nice additional things you pack that make your stay more enjoyable?

4. What are the main things we need to know about Fort Wilderness? We've toured it before to drop off some friends who were staying at the campsite, but we don't really know anything about how it all works.

5. Other tips and tricks for camping?

Thanks SO much in advance for your help!

- Jordan

I know you are from GA, but tent camping at the end of September will still be pretty hot.

As for brands of tents, it depends on how much you may use it outside of the Fort. Almost any WalMart tent will work for a couple of days. I'd splurge on one you can stand in.

Essentials (that time of year)?
  • Good air mattresses (the thick/tall ones)
  • Portable A/C
  • Lights (Christmas lights work well inside the tent)
  • Extension cords and 6 ways
  • Broom- essential with the old coquina shell (sand), but the pea gravel should be better
If you plan on eating at the site:
  • Something to cook with and in and someway to clean up
  • Paper plates and disposable silverware work great (no clean up, but not as nice on the environment)
  • Cooler
j

We like the instant tents. Easy and fast to set up and take down, just practice before you go. Literally takes a minute or 2 to set up. Get a tent that is plenty large. You need at least a 4 person tent to hold a queen air mattress and even then you can’t fit anything else in. We have an 8 person and we use a queen and 2 singles with no extra room. We also use a screen room to use for dining as it keeps flies and mosquitoes out. Bring lots of extension cords and surge protectors, a good cooler for drinks and cooking supplies/food if you plan to cook. The fort has cable so you can bring a TV, set up camp chairs, a hammock, heck you can bring whatever you want to make life easier. We really enjoyed renting a golf cart so we bought our own for our next trip. Buying all your camping supplies is not cheap and if you are not outdoorsy people, camping may not be your thing. Yes it saves money on WDW vacations but we do it because we love to camp and there is no better than camping at the fort!!! Not sure I would enjoy it if I were only doing it to save money. It’s not just checking in, getting your room key, and run to the pool. There is a couple hours of set up, daily clean up, and take down time. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

I'm assuming you're driving to the Fort and not flying? That makes a big difference in what you can bring!

For us, a small rug for the front of our tent is mandatory (in addition the broom), we leave our shoes off to the side outside and it gives us a place to put our shoes on and off without tracking dirt into our tent, it's also easy to shake out when it becomes messy. We also use a small tupperware container for all of our dishes, and while we're there, it doubles as a wash sink when we're done eating.

Storage totes for clothes and other items you do not want wet. September it will rain. Camping is not cheap (one can camp cheaper than a hotel) but for a one of trip it is a lot of stuff to purchase. Tent, air mattress or pad, tent stakes (good military surplus metal ones, plastic ones will break.) A tarp that fits under the tent, but does not extend beyond the tent, otherwise you will be in a pool, this protects from rocks. Towels, for both showering and if it rains, you will want to dry off.
We did a September trip a couple years ago, and even after 10 years in the military, there is nothing that could get me to tent camp in September in Florida.

You might consider renting the tent from Disney. Put your clothes and dry goods(food)in Rubbermaid tubs so that they will stay dry. Fans (plural) or a portable AC. Honestly, I’d bring some sandwich stuff, snacks, and drinks and plan to eat hot meals in the parks. Keep it simple especially since it is only for a few days.

Thank you so much for all of your responses! I've definitely added some things to my Amazon list! Those of you who mentioned portable AC, is there a particular one you would recommend?

Thank you so much for all of your responses! I've definitely added some things to my Amazon list! Those of you who mentioned portable AC, is there a particular one you would recommend?
There are a couple of options. First is to find a tent that has an A/C boot in the side wall. Yes, they actually make such a thing. You can set the unit in the boot to exhaust the hot air outside.

I'll let the current tent campers weigh in on the specific ones they use, but the cheapest route is to get a small window unit and set it in the boot in the tent. Others use a portable, upright unit. They cost a bit more (I have one for an upper landing in my house that doesn't have any HVAC ducts.) It has a hose that exhausts out the boot in the tent or you can stick it out the door and zipper closed around it if you don't have the tent boot.

j

Let me give you one tip. Setup your tent in your backyard before you go. The last thing you want to do is get to WDW and find out some part is missing to put together your tent. It's also a lot easier to setup the second time than the first. Then, take your hose and rain water on your tent. You want to make sure that you set it up, so that it doesn't take in rain. Once you feel good about your tent, the rest of the challenges are much easier. Like, you want to make sure your inflatable mattresses doesn't have any leaks.

I will echo advice of Rambling Mad but add Make a list of all things you THINK you will need and Spend the weekend at Camp My Backyard using the house only as the comfort station. If you didn't pack it either figure out how to do without it or go BUY it even if you have plenty in the house or garage.

Let me give you one tip. Setup your tent in your backyard before you go. The last thing you want to do is get to WDW and find out some part is missing to put together your tent. It's also a lot easier to setup the second time than the first. Then, take your hose and rain water on your tent. You want to make sure that you set it up, so that it doesn't take in rain. Once you feel good about your tent, the rest of the challenges are much easier. Like, you want to make sure your inflatable mattresses doesn't have any leaks.
I will echo advice of Rambling Mad but add Make a list of all things you THINK you will need and Spend the weekend at Camp My Backyard using the house only as the comfort station. If you didn't pack it either figure out how to do without it or go BUY it even if you have plenty in the house or garage.

^^^^I can't like these enough! Please take time to do this.

1. If you are a tent camper at Walt Disney World, what brand/style tent do you have? What do you like about it? Would you recommend it?

We are first timers too (going in October this year) and are SO excited. Initially we went with a camp site but due to the heat we decided on a camper. Since we are flying we decided to rent a camper from a business in the area. They had campers for as little as $69.99 per night (delivered and set up and tear down included). You can also rent bigger vehicles (which we did) and have your own shower/bathroom/etc. We are So looking forward to it!

I've been avoiding this thread like the plague. Mostly because I don't want to be the downer that dashes dreams. But, it just keeps nagging at me, so going to throw in my opinion.

I would highly recommend you rent a camper from an off site company.

Reasons:

- You are only going for two nights and set up/ break down is a LOT of work, especially tent camping. This is going to severely cut into your park time, and perhaps impact your overall good time.

- Camping gear costs a lot of money, even the cheap stuff. By the time you buy everything you need, you might find out you hate camping and would have come out cheaper just renting a camper.

- You say you are not outdoorsy people. Camping is very outdoorsy unless you are in an RV with all the comforts of home.

As a life long camper - literally, I have been camping regularly since birth and I'm 55 now - I don't want to discourage anyone from taking up an activity that I love so much. I just think being realistic about what you are used to, and easing into it, would be a better idea ... especially when you're on a short vacation at a place where there is much you will want to do other than camp itself.

I will also say that if you like camping, and it's something you want to continue to pursue, there are lots of campers out there for not much more than what you are going to pay for all the gear to tent camp. Nothing against tent camping, I do it myself at times, and still love it! But it's not for everyone, so just wanted to let you know what the options are.

Disney rents a tent they will set up and take down for you for $35-40 a night and a folding cot for $5 per person a night so you don't have to sleep on the ground. For the two nights you will be there, leave the fuss to them.

This brochure is from 2014 but it has a phone number to start an inquiry.

20140325_144723_zpspk6wxiqt.jpg

You have to bring anything else (blankets, etc.). The tent rentals are primarily for the group camping area but they will (and have) set one up on a regular tent campsite many times in the past if you are willing to pay.

Good luck!

Bama Ed

PS - they change tent styles every couple years but they probably still rent tents whatever they look like now.

I thought about the rental tents, but they are going to likely need air conditioning at the time of year they are going.

I thought about the rental tents, but they are going to likely need air conditioning at the time of year they are going.

Oh yeah probably will still be warm at night.

You can certainly use a portable AC in these of course. Of course, if you look at the picture i posted, two cots would leave some space for an ac unit but that's about it (suitcases etc fill up the rest of the space).

My son got a portable ac unit last summer (3rd floor apt in Dallas) and I helped him put it in. No drain line required in that model just a flexible exhaust tube to stick out the zipper of the tent door. It was relatively small but for the small space in a tent it would no doubt keep it cool and also provide a little white noise in the background while sleeping.

Bama Ed

Oh yeah probably will still be warm at night.

You can certainly use a portable AC in these of course. Of course, if you look at the picture i posted, two cots would leave some space for an ac unit but that's about it (suitcases etc fill up the rest of the space).

My son got a portable ac unit last summer (3rd floor apt in Dallas) and I helped him put it in. No drain line required in that model just a flexible exhaust tube to stick out the zipper of the tent door. It was relatively small but for the small space in a tent it would no doubt keep it cool and also provide a little white noise in the background while sleeping.

Bama Ed

Probably still cheaper and easier to rent an RV.

Did you check to make sure there are even sites available? The Fort books up SO fast. Honestly, for the 2 days unless you are serious about camping more, I think renting the tent from Disney and just bringing some linens would be best.

Since you said you would like to get the "camping thing down" so you can make more trips. I would start by getting a instant tent for at least 6-10 people and make a list of what you think you need and go backyard camp once, then camp at a State Park near you for 2 days so you can try it out. If you hate the tent, you can sell it.
Cooking when camping is NOT the same as cooking at home. We love to camp cook, but when we went to Disney, we did sandwiches and easy stuff and ate dinner in the park. (The Ribs at PJs Takeout were awesome too) because as hubby said "we are on vacation" which is not the same as "we are camping". That said- we already are thinking of more Fort Wilderness days so we can vacation camp.

Things we always take camping:
-Actual blankets/pillows/sheets. I hate polyester sleeping bags. Also, don't bother with cheap air mattresses- either get a cot with a mattress topper, or get the expensive ones. You will need to air them up to stretch a few times before camping or you will wake up sleeping in a bowl. No fun. Humidity and air temp also is a factor with those things. (which is why we finally bought a popup and are now looking at a travel trailer).
-Good ice chest.
-Portable A/C for the tent
-Lights of some sort. Easiest is just rope light.
-Extension cord plus surge protector.
-Shampoo, conditioner etc (Not provided when camping ;) )
-Baby wipes.
-bug spray
-easy up canopy
-camp chairs

If you are going to be cooking- Cast iron griddle and pan. Paper towels; utensils (Spatula/fork/spoon and forks, spoons, knives; cutting board; bucket for washing; A/C; fans, coleman stove and propane; coleman lantern; rug; broom; charcoal for the fire, or an electric griddle if you feel fancy. (Or your Instantpot/Crockpot. Yup, we bake potatoes in ours when camping)
Bug spray, drinking water, flipflops for the shower and camp,

Then you might as well price out some popup campers and small travel trailers because if you like camping- you will love the Fort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter