First names you dislike

Names I don't like: The Jayden, Kayden, Braydon, Haydon trend for boys. Harper, Aubrey, Brooklyn, Arriana and Riley for girls.

Names I didn't mind initially but are way over done now: Olivia, Sophia, Isabella, Liam, Aiden, Lucas.

Names I'm thinking about for my third girl: Josephine, Caroline, Beatrice (husband vetoed, but I'm keeping it on my dang list!) My husband wants Abigail. I'm not sold on it due to its popularity.

Various single syllable names: Bob, Tom, Tim, Jim, Gage, Hank, Brooke, Paige, Blair (though do like others like Maeve, Grace, Drew, Clark, Finn)

Russian names: Igor, Luba, Oleg, Olga, Polina, Boris, Svetlana, Vladimir, Stanislav

Israeli names: Dor, Bar, Mor, Smadar, Dror, Shlomo, Ofek

Names that are changed: Michael to Mikey, Thomas to Tommy. Rebecca to Becky, Samantha to Sammy- I like the full name, but the nickname sounds childish to me when used by an adult.

:) Finn is one of my son's names and Clark is one of their middle names.

I agree with some others. It's not that there's a problem with a name specifically, but the connotations it brings up. Shannon and Tabitha remind me strongly of girls who were *not* nice to me when I was younger. Hopefully, if I were to meet another perfectly-nice Shannon or Tabitha I wouldn't immediately hate their names but in thinking about names I like, it's like [shiver] "nope!"

I think it's easier to disassociate the name from a particular person if it's a really common name. I have a bad memory associated to the names John and Michael, too... but since I've known so many Johns and Michaels the names are not as tied to that memory. I don't personally know any other Shannons or Tabithas although I know they exist in the world.

I'm so glad my mother didn't know the name she wanted to name me was a family name, or I would have been saddled with Mehitabel. Hetty-lou for short. Thankfully, my dad prevailed.
Awwww! That reminds me of a favorite book of my kids': The Dragon of Lonely Island. The kids in the book had an aunt Mehitabel. Granted, I wouldn't want that name--although I don't like MY name at all either.

The one name that sticks out for me is Dorcas. It's a perfectly respectable, old fashioned, biblical name, but I once taught a middle schooler with that name and couldn't help but feel sorry for her. Kids are mean. (Fwiw, she went by her middle name.)

One of the Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954) is named Dorcas. Julie Newmar's character, I think.

I've had a couple of friends named Dorcas. I hate that name and would not be happy if my mom had chosen it for me!

I don't like the name Taylor. I have had SO many students named Taylor - probably at least 3-5 each year. Apparently everyone's mom liked that name 18-22 years ago.
There was a lady named Dorcas on Jeopardy a few weeks ago- It was horrible, I cracked up whenever they said her name. I looked on Twitter and it was blowing up with people posting about "OMG there is a lady on Jeopardy named Dorcas".

I dislike the names Aiden, Brayden, Cayden, Hayden, Jayden or any other "den"name for boys
For girls-
Mackenzie, Riley,Rilee, Rylee or any other spelling of that name, Madison, Emma,Olivia, Siobhan

There is another name I cringe when I see but I can't think of it!! I work for a charity and some of the names are really weird- some look like they just took letters and stuck them together to see what they would get. I had a list of 20 names out of 50 I had to call and find out if they were boys or girls.

Last edited:
Samantha to Sammy- I like the full name, but the nickname sounds childish to me when used by an adult.

32 year old Samantha here. Grew up in small town and was called Sami Jo by everyone and am still called that today. It's even how I categorize my relationships:
Work: Ms. Lastname
Acquaintance: Samantha
Good friend: Sam
Family and friends that might as well be: Sami Jo

Names I don't like: The Jayden, Kayden, Braydon, Haydon trend for boys. Harper, Aubrey, Brooklyn, Arriana and Riley for girls.

Names I didn't mind initially but are way over done now: Olivia, Sophia, Isabella, Liam, Aiden, Lucas.

Names I'm thinking about for my third girl: Josephine, Caroline, Beatrice (husband vetoed, but I'm keeping it on my dang list!) My husband wants Abigail. I'm not sold on it due to its popularity.
I'm with your husband on this one! :scared:

Names I really dislike: (sorry if I offend anyone...I'm almost positive you wouldn't like my first name anyway!)

Declan - I can stand pretty much any boy name except that one.
Kylie or Kaylee or Keeley (or really any variation of, even though I have a beautiful little niece with a similar name!)

p!

That's it! I HATE that name Declan! Couldn't remember it when I posted! I think I dislike it so much I try to block it out of my head lol.

I think I would prefer Bea to Abigail (and yes my name is in there but don't like my name either!)

I love classic names! Love the name Beatrice, or Tris as a nickname. Charlotte is another favorite of mine! Both are so feminine and sweet! I don't like the nicknames for Charlotte, though.

I read in a preschool and we're lousy with Kreeatyv'eh spellings and made up names, all of which make me wince.

Our newest one: Serhnyt'e

Stumped? It's "Serenity". WHY did you do that to your child??? It makes me long for the days when Neveah made me roll my eyes.

I read in a preschool and we're lousy with Kreeatyv'eh spellings and made up names, all of which make me wince.

Our newest one: Serhnyt'e

Stumped? It's "Serenity". WHY did you do that to your child??? It makes me long for the days when Neveah made me roll my eyes.

My daughter has a little girl named Sariniti in her class. Everyone was pronouncing it like " Sarah Nee tee" for the longest time until her mom told the teacher it was Serenity. I'm not sure why you would change the spelling in that way when you want it pronounced like a regular word.

I know a woman who used to come to our Church bingo whose daughter was named (I kid you not) Velveeta.

And I have a friend who's a kindergarten teacher who had a child actually named Princess Tiana. Yes, the Princess was part of her legal name.

My daughter has a little girl named Sariniti in her class. Everyone was pronouncing it like " Sarah Nee tee" for the longest time until her mom told the teacher it was Serenity. I'm not sure why you would change the spelling in that way when you want it pronounced like a regular word.

I would have pronounced it the first way, too. Serenity would not have been on my radar for that one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter