First Solo Trip. Thoughts on Hotel?

Cramden

DIS Veteran
I'm making my first Solo trip this September. I'm currently looking at Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Riverside and the Wilderness Lodge for my home base. Does anyone feel one of these would be better for a Solo Traveler? My main considerations are on site options for restaurants/bars and proximity or efficient transportation to the parks and to Disney Springs.

I've previously stayed at AKL, Pop, BC, YC, Poly, POFQ and FW Cabins and enjoyed all but Pop.

Thanks!

Location-wise, Coronado Springs is a bit removed from all parks except AK, Wilderness Lodge is near MK and does have the advantage of being a short walk from Fort Wilderness as well, so you would have access to the restaurants there more easily. Port Orleans seems to have easy access to both Epcot and MK with it's Disney Springs location. I think all three would work for a solo traveler(and I have considered Port Orleans and Coronado Springs myself, Wilderness Lodge just isn't my style), so the real question is which parks are you going to spend the most at and which has the restaurants on site or nearby that are most suited to your tastes. Do keep in mind you may see more families at Coronado Springs because of the price and the fact it has a private waterpark for guests.

Location-wise, Coronado Springs is a bit removed from all parks except AK, Wilderness Lodge is near MK and does have the advantage of being a short walk from Fort Wilderness as well, so you would have access to the restaurants there more easily. Port Orleans seems to have easy access to both Epcot and MK with it's Disney Springs location. I think all three would work for a solo traveler(and I have considered Port Orleans and Coronado Springs myself, Wilderness Lodge just isn't my style), so the real question is which parks are you going to spend the most at and which has the restaurants on site or nearby that are most suited to your tastes. Do keep in mind you may see more families at Coronado Springs because of the price and the fact it has a private waterpark for guests.

Thanks for the Reply!

Surprising about more families at Coronado. I was thinking that would be the one with less since I thought it was somewhat of a Convention Resort. I like AKL so assumed WL would be similar in style even though differently themed.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the Reply!

Surprising about more families at Coronado. I was thinking that would be the one with less since I thought it was somewhat of a Convention Resort. I like AKL so assumed WL would be similar in style even though differently themed.

Thanks again.

It is that, but also being the only resort with it's own water park would attract families as well. It is also one of the least expensive of the moderates. For WL think frontiersman/hunting lodge in theme. The bottom line is just go with whatever appeals to you most, after you look at everything. Any of the three will be a nice resort, and nicely, though subtly, themed. Also, consider if you will spend more time there or in the parks. I don't know what your touring style is or your favorite parks, but that should always factor in your ultimate decision. Hopefully, someone else can give you some further input.

Ok, I made a mistake on Coronado Springs. It is a convention hotel, with some rather unique restaurant options on site. It was the Beach Club that has the water park(Stormalong Bay). Went to double check to make sure I was giving accurate info and apparently got the two resorts mixed up in my head for some reason. My apologies for that.

My main considerations are on site options for restaurants/bars and proximity or efficient transportation to the parks and to Disney Springs.
In this case, Riverside would be my suggestion.

But you're right about WL - great theming and really beautiful.

For a solo trip, WL is more of a hotel feel, so being on your own might be more appealing to have all indoor access to your room rather than the moderates where you are walking through the grounds to enter your room. Also, WL has Roaring Fork for Quick Serve right off the lobby, and the new Geyser Point Grill is wonderful to sit outside look out over the lake while you enjoy an adult beverage and some food. Plus there is only one stop for the buses and a very enjoyable boat ride over to MK.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up booking the Wilderness Lodge. I've visited before on a Pub Crawl and enjoyed Geyser Point and the Territory Lounge. I think with those options and the Monorail Resorts a quick boat ride away I should be able to find enough to do at night after the Parks.

This site has every situation covered. It really is amazing!

Great decision! Be sure to check out the little sitting areas on the second(I think) floor. Cute little nooks & crannies for enjoying a drink solo!

I'm making my first Solo trip this September. I'm currently looking at Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Riverside and the Wilderness Lodge for my home base. Does anyone feel one of these would be better for a Solo Traveler? My main considerations are on site options for restaurants/bars and proximity or efficient transportation to the parks and to Disney Springs.

I've previously stayed at AKL, Pop, BC, YC, Poly, POFQ and FW Cabins and enjoyed all but Pop.

Thanks!
I would most definitely stay at Wilderness Lodge. Lots of great options for meals and just a more comfortable hotel with the interior hallways. Great boat ride to MK or to the Contemporary to catch the monorail. Have a great trip!

Riverside or French Quarter. FQ is smaller and has only one bus stop. Be sure to stop in to the bar at Riverside Wed. through Sat. nights to see Yeeha Bob. Great show for all including solos.

I toured Wilderness Lodge for a Cooper Creek DVC tour and I think you'll be very happy. It's beautiful, it's quiet, the food is good, it has a boat to Magic Kingdom and it's really easy to get to Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue.

Before we joined DVC, POR (well, Dixie Landings back then) was my "go to" solo resort. On just one trip, they had me in a first floor room which faced the back of the resort with lots of shrubbery nearby. However, they were very nice about moving me when I went back to the front desk and asked to be moved. In all my other trips, I LOVED it there.

I'm going on my first solo trip (finally, after 30 trips), and got the Hotwire deal (hot deal) at the Dolphin, $79/night for a king bed room plus resort fee of $32/night. I love the Epcot area, and the Swan and Dolphin are so much nicer than Disney resorts.

Only thing is I have to take a cab (not wanting a car probably) to the resort. I'll Uber back.

I like to be in a nice hotel alone, but honestly Pop is fine too. I don't think there is a bad choice!

I'm going on my first solo trip (finally, after 30 trips), and got the Hotwire deal (hot deal) at the Dolphin, $79/night for a king bed room plus resort fee of $32/night. I love the Epcot area, and the Swan and Dolphin are so much nicer than Disney resorts.

Only thing is I have to take a cab (not wanting a car probably) to the resort. I'll Uber back.

I like to be in a nice hotel alone, but honestly Pop is fine too. I don't think there is a bad choice!

That's awesome! Can I ask how you go about ensuring you get the Swan and Dolphin? I'd love and try to add a night within walking distance of Epcot.

Thanks!

That's awesome! Can I ask how you go about ensuring you get the Swan and Dolphin? I'd love and try to add a night within walking distance of Epcot.

Thanks!

If you read the last 15 or so pages of the Swan and Dolphin thread, you'll get it. It's one on Hotwire's Hot Deals, Bonnet Creek area, has $32 resort fee. Then they get specific on how many reviews it has. Dolphin has a choice of 2 double beds or one king bed. Swan has 2 queens or one king. I was meticulous in my choosing, but it gave me the nudge to go solo in September! I always wanted to do this, and now that my youngest is in college life is so fun!

If you read the last 15 or so pages of the Swan and Dolphin thread, you'll get it. It's one on Hotwire's Hot Deals, Bonnet Creek area, has $32 resort fee. Then they get specific on how many reviews it has. Dolphin has a choice of 2 double beds or one king bed. Swan has 2 queens or one king. I was meticulous in my choosing, but it gave me the nudge to go solo in September! I always wanted to do this, and now that my youngest is in college life is so fun!

Great info! Thanks :-)

I'll check tonight for my September stay.

You know you can Uber or Lyft from the airport now? Just checking.

I have taken solo trips at Coronado, Pop, and All Star sports (and currently offsite at Flamingo crossing with a car).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter