First time in a cabin

TheBigErn

DIS Veteran
We will be staying in a cabin over Thanksgiving weekend. We have reserved a golf cart. We do not want to take the internal bus for anything. Is a golf cart necessary to get to the boat launch, front desk and car parking lot from all cabins? Or are there cabins within easy walking distance to these locations? If so, can we cancel with no penalty the golf cart if we land one of these cabins?

We will be staying in a cabin over Thanksgiving weekend. We have reserved a golf cart. We do not want to take the internal bus for anything. Is a golf cart necessary to get to the boat launch, front desk and car parking lot from all cabins? Or are there cabins within easy walking distance to these locations? If so, can we cancel with no penalty the golf cart if we land one of these cabins?
All of the cabins are a good distance away from the boat docks. The 2800 loop is the closest to the front desk and bus depot for all the non-MK parks. It is close enough to walk to.

Do you have a car? You can park the car at your cabin.

I am not sure of the cancellation policy of the golf cart. I would keep the cart. During the time you are there, many campsites will be decorated for Christmas and it is fun the ride through all the loops to see them.

I compiled a list of distances from the Cabin Loops to the Outpost, Meadows, and the Settlement. it can be found here:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/f...ion-a-work-in-progress.3502095/#post-58990079
We have now stayed in the Cabins 3 times, twice in the 2800 Loop and the last time in the 2300 Loop. The first time we did not get a cart and it was not a bad walk to the Outpost. We would walk it if we just missed a bus and in almost all cases we would get there before the next bus got there. But we took the internal bus if going to/from the Meadows and Settlement. We found the internal Fort buses very good. The Cabin Loops are served by 2 bus routes getting to/from the Settlement and Outpost and one route from the Meadows. As you can see in my list the Cabins are anywhere from 1 to 1.5 miles from the Settlement, but it is a flat walk.

Cart, 100% yes. We thought we could do it without a cart and quickly found out we needed one. Of course it wasn't in our budget, but by all means yes get a cart.

So why would a golf cart be needed if I have a car and don't need to go to the boat dock?
Your car will only be useful for leaving the campground. If you want to go to the beach to watch the fireworks, to the pool, to the tavern, or gift shops, bonfire etc you will have to take the interior bus or walk as there is no car parking at these areas. I will add that the campground is very spread out and not like a typical resort where the pool, bar and restaurants are usually centralized.

So why would a golf cart be needed if I have a car and don't need to go to the boat dock?
It's definitely not needed, it is an extra some enjoy. It is for transportation but also allows you to "loop" the campground to look at decorations and meet people. A bike, walking and use of a bus will work also.

One final clarification: If I don't want to ride the internal bus, and don't take a boat, and do have a car parked at my cabin, do I need the golf cart (don't care about joy riding around the property for any reason)? The only thing we will be doing is sleeping, eating breakfast and going to the parks. No pool, movies, bonfire etc. I don't want to pay for parking plus a golf cart if I don't have to. We will be going to P&J's every morning for breakfast then hitting the parks.

One final clarification: If I don't want to ride the internal bus, and don't take a boat, and do have a car parked at my cabin, do I need the golf cart (don't care about joy riding around the property for any reason)? The only thing we will be doing is sleeping, eating breakfast and going to the parks. No pool, movies, bonfire etc. I don't want to pay for parking plus a golf cart if I don't have to. We will be going to P&J's every morning for breakfast then hitting the parks.

You absolutely don't have to get a golf cart. I was just trying to convey how spread out Fort Wilderness is. P&J's takeout is about a mile from the cabin loops (that's my best estimate using google maps) Some are closer some farther. Totally walk-able if you like and don't want to use the buses- as it will really be just a drop in the bucket compared to a day of walking in the parks. Already stated the boat to the MK from the marina is the fastest way to get there. Another advantage of the boat from Magic Kingdom to Fort Wilderness is that it is way less waiting if you are coming back at MK closing time when all of the transportation back to the transportation center is packed.

I can drive too.

You can drive to the MK but you will need to drive to the MK parking lot to park, then take the parking lot shuttle tram to the TTC, go through security with everyone else arriving by car, then take either the ferry or monorail to the MK.

Where as if you take an internal bus/golf cart to the Settlement then you take a boat to the MK, when you off load at the boat you go through security with only those that were on your boat so a much smaller line.

Most people here will agree taking a car to the MK is not the way to go as it is very time consuming. Taking the boat from the Settlement will put you in the park a heck of a lot faster than driving on your own. For the other parks taking your car is a lot easier compared to the MK

Yes, you absolutely can walk inside The Fort and use your car to get to all the parks. Have a great vacation.

if You use the internal bus you do not need a golf cart. If you do not use it you will need one. P&Js is too far to walk every morning and walk back to the cabin. I tell you the cabin loops can be large and it can be a long walk if you are at the back of a loop. If you eat in the cabin and drive to every park then you do not need a golf cart. We have stayed in the cabins without one but we used internal buses and/or drove. We find using the boat to MK is the easiest route and we usually will drive to the other parks. Golf carts are a convenience and nice to have but are expensive. Why don’t you want to use the internal bus? I know there are some people that complain about them but they run quite often and are a good way to get around the fort without costing and extra $60 a day.

If you don't mind walking the 1 to 2 miles to P&J's every morning, then going by your parameters, I would say you don't need a golf cart. But I would suggest if you are going to take the trouble of walking to P&J's (as you can not drive your car there) you might want to walk the extra few hundred feet to the "boat dock" & take the boat to MK. You will save $25 on parking at MK and dealing with the TTC, especially first thing in the morning, is what I tell my wife the 7th circle of Hades must be like. As others have said, once you get on a boat & it gets you to MK, which doesn't take ANYWHERE as long as any mode of transportation from TTC, there will be a much shorter security check line than the other security check points. That is my advice for at least your MK days. For the other parks you will probably want to drive to them if you don't wanna use any of Disney's transportation options from the Fort to AK, HS, or EPCOT. But the decision is ultimately up to you. Hope y'all have a great trip. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter