First Timer

Poohbr618

Ultimate Pooh Lover!
Help! Hello my wonderful Disers! Need your advice. Will be our first trip to the WDW. We are going for 4 days and then will be cruising on the Wonder. I have a 6yr old dd and will also be traveling with my parents who are in their late 60's. Cannot decide which site to stay. Have been looking at the ASMo and also the Moderates. Which would you recommend for first timers? Having my parents along I want to be able to accomadate(not so long walk to eat and such) them and my dd. Any help is much appreciated!

If you want a resort that is all under one roof the WL or AK - all the other resorts have some of there rooms or restuarants or activites in another place (so you could have longer walks). I have heard (haven't stayed in one yet) that the All stars are better than the moderates (have stayed at all and love them) in getting around -

POFQ is pretty nice and small enough for you parents - however the restuarant has closed - the food courts is still opened - you must go to POR to eat at a restuarant.

I think that any Value or Moderate resort can potentially have long walks to rooms and food. The key is to do some research and find recommendations on what location to ask for in the resort that you pick. The only Value or Moderate resorts that I have stayed in are CBR and CSR. Of these, I would definitely pick CBR; we were not that fond of CSR (not our favorite theming). Walks to the room in both locations were relatively long and we always drove to the food courts - the walks were too long for that, especially when the kids came along. I hear lots of good things about POFQ and POR but have never stayed in these myself. Hope this helps!

If cost is not a huge concern, I'd suggest either POR or POFQ. The grounds of POR are very nice, however, you would do a bit more walking there than you would at POFQ. FQ is also very nice, but it's my understanding that they no longer have a full service restaurant.

Your parents might enjoy the boat ride to DD, it is especially laid back and a nice way to get to DD.

I think for your parents, these two moderates would offer them a bit more peace than the ASMo. But your 6yo may prefer the ASMo.

If walking is a concern, I'd opt for the FQ, since it isn't as spread out, but of the two, I prefer POR.

I would definitely go for a moderate. I absolutely hated all stars sports, felt like I was staying at a cheap motel. The rooms were cramped, and the food court was always packed. I thought we had to walk a long way to everything. My favorite moderate was CBR, and if you do some research to which buildings are which, you can be right next to the main area. When I was there, I requested the Martinique, and it was right next to the food court and the pool. The theming was tropical, and since you'll be headed off to the Caribbean, it will keep you in the island mood.

We went 1 1/2 years ago with our DD 18 and DS 17 for our very first time. It was the end of Feb and beg of Mar. We stayed at POR in the Mansions. We requested close to bus and the main bldgs. The walk to the bus stop was easy and a nice leisurely stroll for the rest. We loved the grounds. Magnolia bushes were in bloom and smelled wonderful and bunnies were eating grass in the morning. By luck we get to go again the end of November. Asked the family their preference between two rooms at All Stars, POR again or AKL with less money to spend else where. We picked POR again. DD and DS would rather have that themeing than their own room with each of them a bed at All Stars and we opted for more spending money. DD loved the flowers and smells. It all seemed so relaxing. I just keep dreaming of it waiting to go again. WDW and Christmas are my two favorite things and to have them together is just too unbelieveable.

We stayed at POR (Alligator Bayou) and are so glad we did. We requested by fax 3 days ahead of time a non-smoking corner room as close to the lobby/food as possible with a trundle bed and nice view - I know, don't ask for much, do we? ;) We got everything we asked for, a corner room overlooking the river in building 14. We were a stones throw from the food court and main area/bridge to pool and the walk to the bus stop was no more than 5 minutes. Also close to the laundry at the nearest quiet pool.

Perfect location and all the comments about the POR being too big to navigate just didn't apply to us.

The grounds are beautiful and ducks, ospreys and bunnies everywhere. Food court is great, boat ride to POFQ and DD is wonderful. The resort is casual and very comfortable. Obviously, I could go on and on but in summary...

I wholeheartedly suggest POR for your first time, but don't forget to fax in polite requests ahead of time. :)

Have a magical time,
Tammy

Tammy...may I ask exactley what room you were in?? I think you made my mind up...Thanks to everyone else for all the great reviews!

We were in room # 1448, 2nd floor outside corner room overlooking the main pathway and river and facing the food court. 2nd floor because I thought that noise over our heads would be an issue but we didn't have any noise issues. The A/C is a perfect barrier to any unwanted noise so you would probably be fine in a first floor room considering your folks. Sorry I don't have any room numbers for the rooms below us. Honestly, anywhere in building 14 would be a great (it's the closest building to the amenities) so I would specifically request building 14 in an outside corner room (with the double windows) closest to the food court and you should be fine, also request a trundle if your little one would be interested but it might cost you an extra $15/night. There are so many trees everywhere, you really can't go wrong view-wise anywhere in this resort. I just kept thinking how we could get so much for the fairly inexpensive price but it didn't feel pretentious, just comfortable with tons of amenities (hope that makes sense). The mansion rooms looked beautiful from a distance as well but they are farther from the food court/lobby area and don't have the trundle but still might be worth considering. I could email you my fax request if you would be interested in the wording. Just let me know. There is also a map of the resort layout on Deb Wills site at http://wdwig.com/pomap1.jpg and that should help with orientation.

Anyway, looks like you got the message I was sending about how great it was :) and I wish you and your family a magical trip! Wish I was going again! :p

Tammy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter