• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fish Extenders?

I understand what Dis'ers use the little fishy for, but why is it there in the first place??? Just decoration for the hallway??? Or am I not understanding the whole thing and the metal fishy is also something the Dis'ers put up in the hall?

karen :)

No - the metal fish is put up by DCL - for your mail and messages - believe it or not - DCL sends mail. Such as "Park West Auction - tonight - win $500" or "You have an appt. at 4:00 pm with Molly in the DVC Club" or "Please join Capt. Mickey for his ...." and sadly, your statement of acct where you go have a drink to drown your sorrows at how much you spent at Shutters and the Bar :rotfl: - you get the idea.

Im trying to find one of these on ebay, and try as I might, none of the sellers seem to know that in reality, they ARE fish extenders! :rotfl: What keywords should I be searching for?

I made mine. Just take a doll rod(wood stick) along piece of material and add pockets. The excitement was going back to your room and finding little presents in the pockets. I think I gave more out than I received but it is always better to give than receive.:rotfl: :rotfl:

I love this concept... I might see if I can get our gang cruising in Oct on board for something like this...

This is my fish extender I made. Only took a few minutes and I do not sew .

fishextender002.jpg

DSC00004-1.jpg

Home made using Iron on transfer paper that prints on our home ink jet printer.
You need 1/4 yard of fabric, iron interfacing, wide double fold bias tape, and a 3/8" dowel 8" long.

Pockets are 11" X 5 1/2"
Back is 32" X 8"

Cut out backing and pockets then iron on interfacing.
Sew bias tape on top of pocket
pleat once on each side and pin bottom of pocket so that it is 8" wide.
baste, then pin bias tape on bottom and sew on
Pin pockets on backing and sew bottom of pocket to backing
Pin and baste around entire outside of project.
Pin then sew bias tape around outside edge of whole fish extender
fold top over leaving room for you dowel at top and sew along the inside of bias tape down each side to secure.

I am not a professional! These are just my notes on how I made mine. Good luck!

Kudos to CQUICK for passing on the instructions to me! This is such a fun project!

How cool! Are these just for DVC members? What are some of the surprises that you put/received in a FE?

Im trying to find one of these on ebay, and try as I might, none of the sellers seem to know that in reality, they ARE fish extenders! :rotfl: What keywords should I be searching for?

Just did an search on "mickey mouse pockets". One yellow one left...and some of a slightly different design...hurry...there was an orange one but I just got that...I sent the gal a note and asked if she was getting more...

Linda;)

Ok...now...what was the original purpose for the fish?? Is it just a decoration that you came up with the idea of hanging something on? Or did DCL have some intention for them?? :scratchin:

You know what this means?? Soon DCL will be selling these for $40!!! :laughing:

karen :)

The Fish extender, original purpose was to accept all the treats/gifts dis'ers were giving each other during the Panama cruise. Nothing to do with DCL at all.

The Fish..near your door, the permanent thing is to accept mail from DCL (notes and such).

Debbie (epcotkilterfan) found those wonderful mickey hanger with pockets and thought they would be cool, since so many people were bringing gifts, we needed more room than just the fish to deliver them to. She was right...our cruise was like Christmas morning, every day..lol.

Ahhhh!!! Finally a thread on this!! I have looked for this thread for a while and now i know all about fish extenders...THANKS FOR THE INFO!!! Going to have to get one of these!!!!

I was Just explaining what a Fish Extender is to my Fellow cruisers. We are doing a Secret Santa :santa: for the Dec 8 Magic cruise and I was explaining on the 9/08 cruise meetup about the extenders.

Great Job!!!! :thumbsup2

If I was Crafty I'd make my own but I think I will just pack a Christmas stocking

Would a small tote bag work? Or is it better to have lots of pockets?

I still havent looked for a thread on our dates yet, but seeing as it is still 18 looooong months away, there is time.

Would a small tote bag work? Or is it better to have lots of pockets?

I still havent looked for a thread on our dates yet, but seeing as it is still 18 looooong months away, there is time.

Lots of pockets! A fish extender doesn't interfere with the fish at all, so as not to interfere with disneys mail left at door when they need to leave it for you.

For the sewing impaired such as myself, there is a Mickey & Winnie the Pooh being sold on ebay as we speak under Baby Disney Nursery Wall Hanging Pockets. I don't know how long they will last, but I bought something similar for our cruise next August.

cupcake.jpg

I made this one using the same instructions as the 4 pocket, just shorter and a little less fabric.

I want to try making one. How long does the string or ribbon that it hangs from need to be in order to not block the door number placque?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter