• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flight Delay Question

For the record, I'm not hating on travel insurance. I'm merely providing an economic analysis of why people like me don't see it as a particularly wise purchase.

Honestly, a three day delay is excessive...even in a major weather event. I agree with the opinion that United will not reimburse any of your expenses.

That said, chances are strong that they will offer a service recovery gesture in the form of United frequent flyer miles, if asked. The easiest way to do this is the use the web form on the United site:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/customer/customercare

Keep it short and simple. Just 3 or 4 sentences expressing your disappointment at the extended delay in getting your party to their destination. Example:

My family experienced a 3-day delay recently due to winter weather. I understand that recovering from hundreds of canceled flights is not easy. Still, I was disappointed with the lack of options for getting my family back home.

Provided you don't complain about every flight you take on United, there's really no downside to providing this feedback.

Wow! Thanks so much for the suggestion and suggestion regarding what to say. It was frustrating that not only was your flight delayed but I went to try to add our flights to get mileage credit and learned that because we bought basic economy, we don’t qualify for mileage points for the trip. At this point, any perk thrown our way for the inconvenience would be nice. I mean, we are planning to fly back there again at some point, so I would think Universal would want to encourage us to buy 5 tickets again.

In terms of travel insurance, I have looked into this several times but struggle with finding any insurance company that will service people who live in New York. Does anyone know why this is or have any other suggestions for a travel insurance option for a future trip?

Did you have Travel Insurance ...... If Not why Not ?

In terms of travel insurance, I have looked into this several times but struggle with finding any insurance company that will service people who live in New York. Does anyone know why this is or have any other suggestions for a travel insurance option for a future trip?

Check your credit cards - some of them have trip interruption insurance as part of the benefits.

Thank you! We do have a card that allows for trip interruption—The Chase Sapphire Preferred. I will check and see what it offers. I don’t think we used this card to purchase the airfare though. Does that matter? We didn’t have the card until after we bought the airfare. We do plan to use it for future airline tickets.

Hmm I hadn't heard that NY could be an issue. Maybe an idea is to see if your auto or home insurance agent has any thoughts on it. Maybe they know of companies or reasons why you've been unable to find it on your own thus far.

Thank you! We do have a card that allows for trip interruption—The Chase Sapphire Preferred. I will check and see what it offers. I don’t think we used this card to purchase the airfare though. Does that matter? We didn’t have the card until after we bought the airfare. We do plan to use it for future airline tickets.
Yes, you have to use the card for the trip you are getting interrupted. I know it also works on award flights if you use your card to pay for all applicable fees. You can check with whatever card you used, or purchase a separate trip insurance policy.

Here is the guide to benefits for the Chase Sapphire Preferred, always good information to keep on hand. https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferredvw17

Yes, you have to use the card for the trip you are getting interrupted. I know it also works on award flights if you use your card to pay for all applicable fees. You can check with whatever card you used, or purchase a separate trip insurance policy.

Here is the guide to benefits for the Chase Sapphire Preferred, always good information to keep on hand. https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferredvw17

I checked and we were required to pay for checked baggage fees, which we paid for in advance on my husband’s Sapphire Preferred, so wouldn’t that make the delay eligible for coverage?

You can call Chase and ask, my view is that you didn't pay for the tickets, or common carrier fare, with the CSP. You paid a voluntary incidental charge with it. Here is the relevant passage from the Guide to Benefits I linked to above.

What is Trip Delay Reimbursement?
Trip Delay Reimbursement covers up to a maximum of five hundred
($500.00) dollars for each purchased ticket for reasonable expenses,
on a one-time-basis, incurred if your Covered Trip is delayed by a
Covered Hazard for more than twelve (12) hours or requires an
overnight stay. To be eligible for this coverage, you need to purchase
either a portion or the entire cost of your Common Carrier fare using
your Account
. Coverage is in excess of any expenses paid by any
other party, including applicable insurance.

You can call Chase and ask, my view is that you didn't pay for the tickets, or common carrier fare, with the CSP. You paid a voluntary incidental charge with it. Here is the relevant passage from the Guide to Benefits I linked to above.

What is Trip Delay Reimbursement?
Trip Delay Reimbursement covers up to a maximum of five hundred
($500.00) dollars for each purchased ticket for reasonable expenses,
on a one-time-basis, incurred if your Covered Trip is delayed by a
Covered Hazard for more than twelve (12) hours or requires an
overnight stay. To be eligible for this coverage, you need to purchase
either a portion or the entire cost of your Common Carrier fare using
your Account
. Coverage is in excess of any expenses paid by any
other party, including applicable insurance.

I agree with this in theory, but since we bought basic economy tickets with United, the subsequent baggage fees were required for us to travel as United Airlines only allows those who purchase basic economy to bring a personal item on board (essentially a purse). This will be my argument with Chase. Not sure if it will stand, but it certainly wasn’t an optional fee. We had no choice but to pay the fee to travel, since we couldn’t bring a carry on on the plane.

It wasn't required, it was known to you when you purchased the tickets that there was no baggage allowance. By all means, try and report back what Chase tells you. I'm very interested in if they offer you anything.

It wasn't required, it was known to you when you purchased the tickets that there was no baggage allowance. By all means, try and report back what Chase tells you. I'm very interested in if they offer you anything.

I am trying to be hopeful, but am concerned it may not be covered. I’ll definitely post an update once I hear back.

I agree with this in theory, but since we bought basic economy tickets with United, the subsequent baggage fees were required for us to travel as United Airlines only allows those who purchase basic economy to bring a personal item on board (essentially a purse). This will be my argument with Chase. Not sure if it will stand, but it certainly wasn’t an optional fee. We had no choice but to pay the fee to travel, since we couldn’t bring a carry on on the plane.
I understand you're trying to get anything you can, but I feel you're stretching pretty far. Yes, checked luggage IS optional, at least IMO. You could have bought a higher class of ticket, you could have shipped clothes, you could have done this...
joey-chandler-clothes-today-160810-tease-02_f30b2f607382b41257e5142601094a88.fit-2000w.jpg

Did you have Travel Insurance ...... If Not why Not ?

I never buy travel insurance. I don't have auto collision insurance either. Buying insurance is gamble that you are most likely to lose the bet. At least when I go to Las Vegas and the odds are stacked against me they provide me discounted rooms and free drinks while they take my money. The travel insurance companies do neither. I would rather play it safe and not gamble by buying the travel insurance.

I understand you're trying to get anything you can, but I feel you're stretching pretty far. Yes, checked luggage IS optional, at least IMO. You could have bought a higher class of ticket, you could have shipped clothes, you could have done this...
joey-chandler-clothes-today-160810-tease-02_f30b2f607382b41257e5142601094a88.fit-2000w.jpg

:rotfl2:

I never buy travel insurance. I don't have auto collision insurance either. Buying insurance is gamble that you are most likely to lose the bet. At least when I go to Las Vegas and the odds are stacked against me they provide me discounted rooms and free drinks while they take my money. The travel insurance companies do neither. I would rather play it safe and not gamble by buying the travel insurance.
I'm curious as to where you are that you can legally drive without collision insurance? My understanding was WI was the last place in the US that was an option and that ended about 10 years ago.

I'm curious as to where you are that you can legally drive without collision insurance? My understanding was WI was the last place in the US that was an option and that ended about 10 years ago.

No states require you to have collision. You are required to have liability insurance

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter