Flight of Passage + People of Size = Disappointing

I'm so paranoid about whether or not I will fit on this ride. Since January of this year, I've lost 85 pounds and dropped 4 sizes. I KNOW I'm significantly smaller than I was at the start of the year, but this whole thread has me worried I'm not small enough. Even at my heaviest I was never turned away from a ride, and I really don't want my first experience to be AFTER I've lost a significant amount of weight. I know I have more to go. I'm hoping to lose another 15 by the time I arrive at Disney (22 Oct 17). I'm currently 5'1"/204lbs/size 12/14. I like to think I'm being paranoid for nothing, but when you're on a weight-loss journey it's 50% mental and 50% physical. That coupled with all of the stories about being not fitting... just has me rattled.

I just wanted to say "congratulations!" You should be so proud of your accomplishments!!! I truly hope you go for it and try to ride FoP. It sounds to me like you should fit no problem. But no matter what, know that you are amazing just the way you are!

Maybe watching this video will help to un-rattle you. Take Care!

I just wanted to say "congratulations!" You should be so proud of your accomplishments!!! I truly hope you go for it and try to ride FoP. It sounds to me like you should fit no problem. But no matter what, know that you are amazing just the way you are!

Maybe watching this video will help to un-rattle you. Take Care!

Thank you so so much for your kind words. I'm now sitting at 200lbs (probably will break into the 190s this weekend) and I'm still randomly suffering from that paranoid feeling when someone mentions this darned ride! That video definitely helped though. Again, thank you for being so kind and encouraging. It means a lot!

That just sounds silly - sneakers are maybe half an inch thicker in the sole at the most than flip flops. That's got to be some extra cut calf muscle to make a difference in half an inch...

Silly for you maybe.
It's not just about the thickness of the sole.
It's more about the room in the toes.
By wearing flip flops you can scrunch your toes, move your foot in more, and raise your heel.
For my brother who is a similar size as me (6'7", 280, size 15 shoes, BIG calves), it made all of the difference in him riding or not riding.
Plain and simple...
....he did the test seat with sneakers...failed.
....did it with flip flops, and it clicked.

Silly for you maybe.
By wearing flip flops you can scrunch your toes, move your foot in more, and raise your heel.
For my brother who is a similar size as me (6'7", 280, size 15 shoes, BIG calves), it made all of the difference in him riding or not riding.
Plain and simple...

Agree with you. I was wearing very bulky sneakers. Made it hard for me to get on to my tiptoes to get my calves in. They went in with a push, but I think I may not have needed the push if I wasn't wearing such bulky shoes. I would have been able to move my feet in more.

Thank you so so much for your kind words. I'm now sitting at 200lbs (probably will break into the 190s this weekend) and I'm still randomly suffering from that paranoid feeling when someone mentions this darned ride! That video definitely helped though. Again, thank you for being so kind and encouraging. It means a lot!

I get the being nervous, but you are seriously going to be JUST fine. I am way bigger than you, and I fit.

Rode again today -- CM had to work with the leg restraints again, but they finally clicked. I'm really thinking I'm going to change into flip flops before I ride next time. I gather from the CMs that I'm within a quarter-inch or so of "easy" clicking, so I think the shoes will make all the difference.

Silly for you maybe.
Plain and simple...

Oh, OK, that makes sense then - it's not just the height, as someone else posted. It's the fit of the shoe, which isn't specific to sneakers. It's more about getting the foot forward, not the height of the calf. So, if someone wore keds, which are low, less bulky style sneakers, it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference to switch to flip flops. But if you wear chunkier shoes, it would be wise to bring a pair of flip flops in a bag.

Oh, OK, that makes sense then - it's not just the height, as someone else posted. It's the fit of the shoe, which isn't specific to sneakers. It's more about getting the foot forward, not the height of the calf. So, if someone wore keds, which are low, less bulky style sneakers, it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference to switch to flip flops. But if you wear chunkier shoes, it would be wise to bring a pair of flip flops in a bag.

The thing is, with FOP, there is so definitive answer to these questions.
Everyone is a different size and shape.
Most of us on this thread are of a larger size one way or another.
We just have to deal with things like fitting on a ride....it is what it is.

So the calf and shoe size thing for some, is part and parcel of the same issue.
If someone like me with a size 15, wears flip flops, I can fold down my flip flop in half underneath itself in front, and curl my toes back, basically making my foot a size 12 say.
THAT then allows my LARGE calf to raise higher, and get the thicker part of my calf above the pressure point where it needs to be to "click in"

Many others with large calves don't have a large foot size problem.....but some do.
Point is, I think this thread is great that we can share our measurements to give others some reference (and possible hope) to those that have experienced the ride, after having doubts they could fit.

I'm really not trying to be mean or point a finger by replying to your post, but by saying any example that someone gives as a possible solution to fitting isn't "silly". Know what I mean? I'll stand upside down on my head if it gets me to ride FOP. :upsidedow

The thing is, with FOP, there is so definitive answer to these questions.
Everyone is a different size and shape.
Most of us on this thread are of a larger size one way or another.
We just have to deal with things like fitting on a ride....it is what it is.

So the calf and shoe size thing for some, is part and parcel of the same issue.
If someone like me with a size 15, wears flip flops, I can fold down my flip flop in half underneath itself in front, and curl my toes back, basically making my foot a size 12 say.
THAT then allows my LARGE calf to raise higher, and get the thicker part of my calf above the pressure point where it needs to be to "click in"

Many others with large calves don't have a large foot size problem.....but some do.
Point is, I think this thread is great that we can share our measurements to give others some reference (and possible hope) to those that have experienced the ride, after having doubts they could fit.

I'm really not trying to be mean or point a finger by replying to your post, but by saying any example that someone gives as a possible solution to fitting isn't "silly". Know what I mean? I'll stand upside down on my head if it gets me to ride FOP. :upsidedow

I said silly because the way it was worded made it sound like a sneaker would raise a leg up so much that it wouldn't fit - which was silly, since a sneaker usually has a pretty thin sole, or a varied sole that didn't have to be much different than a flip flop. Saying that a flip flop changed the height so much was what I was pointing out. Could you see someone changing to flip flops from thin flat sneakers and thinking it would make all the difference in the world from a heel height? Then someone else explained how it made it easier to jam the foot forward in the foot space, bend the ankle, etc - that does make a difference for some people. I was responding to a claim that was silly, IMO.

Going from a 15 to a 12 - you must have some really curly long toes:joker:

Could you see someone changing to flip flops from thin flat sneakers and thinking it would make all the difference in the world from a heel height?

This is exactly what my brother did that worked for him

Going from a 15 to a 12 - you must have some really curly long toes:joker:

Please PLEASE don't make me take and post pictures. I'd rather not frighten the rest of the Dis community just to prove a point :crazy2:

Last edited:
It sounds like I will fit on the ride.. barely. So now what I'm concerned about is how comfortable a ride it will be. I fit in Primeval Whirl, but it was literally painful to ride. Would it be such a jerky, tight ride that it would be unpleasant?

It sounds like I will fit on the ride.. barely. So now what I'm concerned about is how comfortable a ride it will be. I fit in Primeval Whirl, but it was literally painful to ride. Would it be such a jerky, tight ride that it would be unpleasant?
I barely fit the ride and I still have enjoyed it. It wasn't jerky. I was in there tight too. CM had to manually release the restraints to get me out.

It was snug, but not horribly uncomfortable. Even if it had been horribly uncomfortable, it would have been worth it.

I was extremely nervous that I wouldn't fit. I m "fluffy" carrying my weight in my backside and thighs. I have large calves as well. I am 5'6" and 260. I had no issues with the back restraint either time I rode. The first time I rode I was wearing sneakers and they had to push the leg restraints to get them to lock. Second time I had on flip flops. The cm had me raise up on tip toes and leg area locked without issue. I was more comfortable in flip flops raising my calves. Less restrictive.

So if you have to raise up on tiptoes, is it uncomfortable to ride? I mean do you have to hold your feet and legs in an unnatural position the whole time?

So if you have to raise up on tiptoes, is it uncomfortable to ride? I mean do you have to hold your feet and legs in an unnatural position the whole time?

Nope, once it's locked in you can relax. And not everyone needs to go on their tiptoes, just if you have big calves.

I am too nervous about this ride to try it right now. I think it looks awesome, but I think it'll be one for next year. I've been losing weight- my heaviest a few years back was 290's, and over a few years I've watched and "upped and downed" usually settling in the 250's/260's. I'm gotten back on track last month or so, and am around 245, (hoping to lose a bit more before our trip) but I'm 5'5" and carry a lot of my weight in my hips/lower body. And even when I was younger (and a thin 140ish) my calves & ankles were still larger.

Honestly it sounds like I would be fine- I just know that I would really let it bother me if I couldn't ride it or needed help. I give a ton of credit to those who don't let that stuff bother them as much- I'm working on that! :) ... but my hope is to keep slow and steady losing so that by next year's trip I won't have to even think of this stuff! In the meantime for this year's trip- I'm super excited. I used to worry about fitting rides, but Disney does a great job. I really only avoid the Mine Train (I've read it's tight) and Space Mntn (more because of knees). Everything else has been great.

I am too nervous about this ride to try it right now. I think it looks awesome, but I think it'll be one for next year. I've been losing weight- my heaviest a few years back was 290's, and over a few years I've watched and "upped and downed" usually settling in the 250's/260's. I'm gotten back on track last month or so, and am around 245, (hoping to lose a bit more before our trip) but I'm 5'5" and carry a lot of my weight in my hips/lower body. And even when I was younger (and a thin 140ish) my calves & ankles were still larger.

Honestly it sounds like I would be fine- I just know that I would really let it bother me if I couldn't ride it or needed help. I give a ton of credit to those who don't let that stuff bother them as much- I'm working on that! :) ... but my hope is to keep slow and steady losing so that by next year's trip I won't have to even think of this stuff! In the meantime for this year's trip- I'm super excited. I used to worry about fitting rides, but Disney does a great job. I really only avoid the Mine Train (I've read it's tight) and Space Mntn (more because of knees). Everything else has been great.
If you don't want to try, that is up to you, but I'm 50 lbs heavier than you and I fit without needing much help. I'd be shocked (literally fall on the floor SHOCKED) if you didn't easily fit. Trust me, I am very "hippy" and I still fit.

As others have mentioned earlier in the thread, I think people who are rounder rather than wider may have more issues. Or, if you have super big feet and big calves.

It was the best ride I've ever been on, and I'm so glad I took the chance. Life is too short to miss out on things when you don't have too. But again, it is your choice and you need to do what makes you happy.

So (at least recently) I've seen a lot of reference to leg restraints, but I am curious about the back restraint. For example, I am short and apple shaped so I wonder how this plays into seat fit.

I also went with much apprehension as to wether or not I'd fit. I tried the test seat. It was a go so I went for it. Hands down best ride I've been on. It's amazing.

i figured if I got turned away at the top oh well it's not like I'd see these people again anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter