Florida Water?

The water at Disney is awful imho. We have well water here at home, so it's not that I can't deal with a mineral aftertaste. Last time we were there (pre-covid), we took our own water down (we drove and stay at the Fort), but even the ice had that overly mineral taste. I'm sure the water is safe to drink--that wasn't an issue. It's just that it's so strong it is a simple no-go for me.
our water at home is like this. we are on a well, there's technically nothing wrong with our water but it tastes awful

Spent 3 months at Cocoa Beach and 2 weeks at Disney just recently. We have excellent water at home and the chemical / sulfer? FL water is very challenging to me and I stocked up water from Publix.

DH drank tap water the entire time and feels the chemicals (?) might be 'good for him'. Interesting perspective, eh?

It tastes like sand smells.

We order cases of water to the room through Instacart or Amazon. When we go to the parks we bring water with us... easy for us though with the stroller. We also have water bottles that have filters in them that catch that sandy taste.

The last option, if it's currently open, is to bring a water bottle and refill it at the baby centers. They have filtered water dispensers there.

Its gross! Its always been gross! I remember being a kid and our family driving to Disney from Virginia (where I grew up) and stopping at some rest stop near Orlando and drinking from a water fountain and it having that taste. There were snails climbing up the water fountain pedestal so I always called it "snail water" (I was probably 7 or 8). When we went back to Disney a few years ago (this is about 35 years later), my dad poured himself a glass right from the tap, took a sip, and yelled out "snail water!"

I got those Brita insulated bottles with the filter inside for this upcoming trip. I'm hoping those'll work this time. Our family drinks a lot of water even in less humid weather and we invariably have a reusable bottle with us. I find it more convenient to refill those than carry around disposable water bottles (which also get hot in a backpack).

Not sure where to post this,
while planning I've read in a few places to bring your own water for the hotel and parks because Florida tap water tastes terrible? is that true? I was planning to bring refillable insulated water bottles for everyone and just fill them at the hotel in AM and parks throughout the day because I'm not paying $6 for water at Disney lol but if it's really that bad maybe I should order a case of water?
I’d just buy a bottle when you need it. You’re not allowed to walk and sip anyhow. You need to find a spot to sit and drink in the parks to remove mask. most hotels provides bottles of waters for the day too.

I'm considering getting one of those, but unsure whether they'll actually work. Could you update after your trip to let us know if it did?

We've used those and they work great. Our first one was plastic, but it didn't keep the water cold and it broke when dropped. The water tasted great after the filter. So the next one was one of the metal ones and that is still going strong.

Now there’s a question! Firstly, I’m writing this in the UK, so for DW and I it’s been a given for our entire lives that we can turn on a tap and get safe, wholesome cold drinking water, and this is the assumption that we brought with us on our first trip to Florida back in 1997...

I’ve no doubt that the water in central Florida is safe to drink, in that it won’t poison you. However! We found out the hard way that drinking the ordinary tap water left DW and I with a certain unpleasant level of... intestinal distress, shall I say? As we normally rent a villa we switched on our second trip to only drinking bottled water (bought by the gallon in the local Walmart, which they clearly expect from the sheer quantity of those drums on the shelves) and found our gastric issues completely disappeared. We’d use it in the coffee machine in the villa and in the kettle (I drink tea) and take some smaller bottles filled from the big boys with us into the parks and so forth, and eke those out with sodas (and in DW’s case, coffee - something I don’t drink at all) and that worked pretty well. We even stopped and bought a half dozen gallon barrels when we stayed at AKL in December 2019; housekeeping never said anything about them stacked up in the room... 🤷‍♂️

Go to Walmart or Amazon and buy one the soft squeeze Britta Bottles. We fill it and share it. Once we are hydrated, it's carried around empty and has not weight to it.

Attachments

• britta.jpg
    britta.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 2
Every time I go, I'm reminded of that water from when I lived there. It has a distinct smell, and it makes my stomach queasy when I drink it. I think even their water refill stations have a trace of that taste, too, even though they're supposed to be filtered.

I usually pack or buy plenty of bottled water when I'm there. I also usually pack clarifying shampoo and a good smoothing conditioner, because it'll leave a film on my hair that makes it feel like straw after a couple of days.

Every time I go, I'm reminded of that water from when I lived there. It has a distinct smell, and it makes my stomach queasy when I drink it. I think even their water refill stations have a trace of that taste, too, even though they're supposed to be filtered.

I usually pack or buy plenty of bottled water when I'm there. I also usually pack clarifying shampoo and a good smoothing conditioner, because it'll leave a film on my hair that makes it feel like straw after a couple of days.

I'm particular about my hair. It is my best feature. When traveling, I buy the cheapest gallons of water and rinse my hair with that after a normal shower.

I’ve seen several people suggest the filtered water bottles and that’s what some of us in my travel party do. We also have a filtered pitcher for the room that we leave in the fridge and it’s a miracle worker. I don’t have a filtered bottle so I just fill mine every morning and, if we take a break, then as well. Several people have also suggested QS counters which is also what we do, however some have gotten funky. Cosmic Rays had gotten swampy the last time we were there (last June) but Starbucks was still good, though, and I don’t think you have to order a drink to just get ice water.

We also took packets of Powerade to mix in with any funky water we got but it didn’t do anything to mask the swamp taste lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter