Flower & Garden Birthday Spectacular ***7/7 Late Night Update***

Fantasia79

DIS Veteran
Hello! Welcome to my first ever trip report! After years of reading everyone's reports, it's time I add my own.

This is the story of a four day trip March 14-17.

Who am I? Thanks for asking. I'm Kirk. My wife Samantha and I live and work in the Chicago area. She's a clinical psychologist who has a private practice and teaches at a few colleges, I teach high school band. You'll soon learn what all our family and friends already know; I married up. We love eating, the blackhawks, eating, exercise, our cats, cooking, eating, and going to Disney!

IMG_5530.jpg

IMG_4824.jpg

IMG_4688.jpg

This trip was for Samantha’s birthday. She took me for my birthday a few years ago, and I have really wanted to return the favor. Over the winter break, we were in Disney with my band. I know what you’re thinking, "Disney twice in a few months? Two vacations?" Let me tell you, being there with 110 of your favorite 13-18 year olds is far from a vacation. Very far from it. It's always fun to be with the kids. But, a lot of late nights, early mornings, trips to first-aid, phone calls, meetings, putting out fires, but in the end, you're there for the kids, not yourself.

We've been looking into the Disney Vacation Club for a while and wanted to rent points before we buy. So, we rented from a Dis Board user, who was so helpful! As huge EPCOT fans, it’s been a dream of ours to stay at Beach Club, so that’s where we stayed!

It seemed like everyday there was something to make our impending trip more exciting. First a little mouse ear USB drive shows up. Cool. Then reservation window day arrived. Anyone else get an adrenaline rush booking reservations? Hope it's not just me. Fastpass+ reservation window day (a first for me). Also, way cool. Then, magic bands arrive, Magical Express Itinerary arrives, memory maker materials, then.....dinner reservation confirmation emails...oh...yea.

9e6bfecc589ac3183e9d9e502b318b76.jpg

556709ee14cea4477ceec9da142e4185.jpg

Day one

Day one starts on a cold day in Chicago. After working late every night this week, I had not packed much, so panic was setting in! I had to get through our inservice day and run home to finish packing before our flight! Agh! Naturally, our final meeting of the day went long. Samantha also had clients and classes every night leading up to our trip. She woke up to grade papers and finish packing. As we’re driving the list of forgotten items grows: vitamins, swimming trunks, shower lufa....oh no!

We got to the airport, and after a few short delays we were on our way to the happiest place on earth! We got into Orlando around 11pm. What a beautiful airport! Marble everywhere, comfortable seats, outlets! We put on our bands and got on Mickey’s Magical Express. The magic bands--awesome. You tap the mouse ears and your itinerary pulls up, they tell you what lane to walk in and you board your bus. So cool. A short ride and were at Disney!

3f134df85a37a8f05bb8add93e31b63e.jpg

1d197298e5becdc43c3e59a13f2d5be0.jpg

f31ecb5091816f2b0096dad1dea6a738.jpg

We got into a Beach Club pretty late, about 12am, checked-in with our magic bands (cool), and we’re off to our room. We booked a studio. Pleasantly surprised; plenty of room, plenty of towels, very comfortable. The room was in good condition, definitely dated, little spots of damage (worn this and that) but comfortable.

Off to bed!

Day two

A lot of internal debate whether to call this day one or two. We’ll go with two. We got up early and walked over to Boardwalk before EPCOT opens. This location is so cool. I didn't realize how cool it is to have 4 resorts all right next to each other.

f35bb500946dc22b813b58a2627f82db.jpg

We tap our magic bands at the turnstiles, and here we are looking at Paris & England. Nothing feels as cool as walking around EPCOT before the crowds show up. I didn't mention it, we were here during the Flower & Garden Festival. EPCOT is filled with the smells of fresh flowers and food everywhere. What a treat.

I wanted to try the new Test Track first. It's well done. The pre-ride cue is way cool. You get to design your own car. As you're designing, the screen shows your scores for speed, agility, efficiency etc. The wife and I quickly discover you can make your car faster with the add-ons. Today, we’re concerned with getting the highest agility and speed scores we can. A few seconds before the timers shuts us down, we've squeezed out a few extra points. The first part of the ride is very different, the brake test, blocks, heat, cold, etc is either really different or altogether gone. Everything is bordered in a pinstripe electric light, kinda looks like you stumbled onto the set of Tron, but done on the cheap. As you go through each stage, they give you your car’s score vs others in your car. We finished first in every category except efficiency, and first overall. I first pumped just a bit. The “road test” is still awesome.

After we got out, I was thinking of the Olympics and the luge/skeleton. They were going 25-30mph faster than us and only on a sled, no seat belts. That’s fierce.

The wife was getting hungry and that means one thing: hurry and get her to food! So we walked over to Seasons. I've wanted to go there for a while. We got breakfast Panini’s, man are they good!

161f3473bd66349ae13c7153a71c1584.jpg

I'm also a big coffee fan. So a trip to EPCOT Starbucks was part of my plan. I noticed over the winter break people walking everywhere with Starbucks cups. It's something you’'re not used to seeing at Disney. During the winter, I didn't have the patience to stand in the Starbucks like (we were there on NYE, so lines were out of control). Coffee was of course magical. I really liked the cups. Our waitress was so nice and made Samantha’s for “Princess Samantha.” Love it.

ede64218898667b1e8a1a1eee264005e.jpg

I'm pretty sure Samantha would say Soarin' is her favorite ride anywhere. So, when I booked our FastPass+ rides, it was the first thing I did. We got on Soarin’' and though we didn't get to sit in the front, it was a blast. I love the smells, sounds (bought the soundtrack; great reading music), and experience. We went on Journey into Imagination with Figment. Samantha has loved since she was a child, for her birthday I wanted to get her a Figment doll. She’s quite happy.

21a352b499debb9fb855ea9ea93e312c.jpg

d9ed935edd2e268ca5d438a243a4c0ea.jpg

Upon going to Norway, we saw a Disney surprise; tons of Frozen stuff. The exhibits inside the Norwegian church have been removed for Frozen themed tie-ins. I'm sad to see the Leif Erickson gone, battle swords, etc, but Frozen simply cannot be bigger for Disney. The line to get pictures with Anna & Elsa is crazy long! We got a picture of them for Samantha’s best friend’s 3 y/o daughter. We then wondered, we should get her a dress or tiara? Let's text her and see what her daughter would want. Samantha’'s friend is also a psychologist and was with clients when we texted, so we didn't hear back for a few hours. Elsa, all Elsa all the time. When we returned we learned that Frozen stuff sells out FAST! It was all gone, only Anna stuff remained. We now have a Disney mission: to find an Elsa dress.

535f0a1a095db26632ab9dfe35100ff9.jpg

Flower & Garden Festival is so amazing. If you can go to Disney during it, I highly recommend it. Because of my job, I will most likely never be able to go to the Food & Wine Festival (until I retire), so this looked like the next best thing. There are dozens of kiosks with special food and drinks, the Flower & Garden Center, topiaries, gardens, garden sales, and garden demo spots. The topiaries are simply gorgeous, the detail is astounding. The gardens are just simply an experience, there are so many different themes: play gardens, irrigation, hummingbird, butterfly, vegetable, many more, they’re all inspiring. One of the first we walked into was the butterfly garden. None of the butterflies has hatched yet, but the set-up was cool. Different flowers that attract butterflies, sculpture, and little butterfly houses.

2452f1c3790f0452bae14a404446c433.jpg

e4125ba2e1dd5fac7501882ee57bc336.jpg

7e3757a3b89565801d32cd0ee5e96f4a.jpg

1ec6ac8fd4fb97618da614b91270ee66.jpg

a7363e39345e06315d3e1fdc060eece0.jpg

9e86e8426867976de27bb5ae4e0ffcdb.jpg

I love all the water in EPCOT. Hopefully, it’s not me. They bordered some of their lakes with flower gardens that made images of butterflies and flowers. Again, the smells are heavenly. The lakes had floating topiaries. Spoiler, they hand out instructions on how to make them yourself in the Flower and Garden Center. The garden center in EPCOT is in one of the abandoned looking EPCOT buildings. It's actually pretty cool inside, there’s a ton of trade show like tables/booths, demos, cool merchandise and a huge tree under some neat skylights. HGTV had a line-up of guest speakers coming in daily. I picked up a hand out on how they make their hanging flower baskets.

f1ff118942f2c2621b0477aa37d4955e.jpg

3c260c5f91421fd163e84fcc86e95870.jpg

The gardens around the park are simply perfect. I really liked walking in and getting great ideas for back home. The different country pavilions had flowers all over. I really like all the terra cotta flowers in Italy, just makes you want summer here faster! Besides great ideas, it's surprisingly fun to walk through a little garden on your way to whatever attraction you're on your way to.

b21a64762ce5095c7bed7b7478ab8f80.jpg

bafe58302033aaeff43ec76c1af204fb.jpg

Hello, Disney surprise! Morocco has a new small plate restaurant! The food options look wonderful and the ambiance is fresh. The open air seating overlooking the World Showcase Lagoon looks so comfortable and relaxing. Idea for home next to Morocco, they took a garden fountain and filled it with mixed greens for salads. Looks cool too.

f9cd04eed64c2a675f1a138a232e70ee.jpg

5b845d13d858e5e746fc059a44257097.jpg

Found some pineapple plants. I love pineapple and had to get my picture with baby pineapples. Anyone ever have pineapple pizza? It's a favorite of my kids. Highly recommend it.

e4a4561fd1a5347f332671ae3c85b26a.jpg

We discovered amazing specialty drinks through the special kiosks. Italy had an awesome Italian Primavera (fruit slushie, lemon cello and vodka), and great caprese salad with fresh mozzarella, roasted peppers & olio verde.

c14726781e4fea1292fab05782c18d7a.jpg

2ad1707f6c61db071106b84d39ca4e93.jpg

France's kiosk had my favorite frozen drink, the La Vin en Rose (vodka, Grey Goose orange, St. Germaine, white and red cranberry juice), and a very pleasant gnocchi (dumpling, vegetables, mushrooms and goat cheese).

c367378dd0dfb317575459be7a4deb41.jpg

175297028066a84d079f260a7990d047.jpg

In Morocco, we found a chicken kabob with couscous.

5418314d0d2348ab7efa5f4479de8063.jpg

I love sushi and I don't care who knows it. In Japan, we found three rice balls topped with salmon, scallop, and beef with a shill violet sauce. The girls working the Hanami kiosk were very interested in my frozen drink from France and if it had alcohol in it.

7dea21f414556d69c072f7b4843d8e28.jpg

Who can resist a spring roll? China’s spring roll is fantastic. I also had the wonderfully named Kung Fu Punch (vodka, triple sec, mango & orange juice).

23a8e50a5d7cabf6779423b37ba237e3.jpg

We didn’t eat in Mexico, but I’'m obsessive with EPCOT performing groups, so I got my Mariachi Cobre fix (of course, I have the CD's). They noticed Samantha's birthday button along with someone else’'s and brought them up for a happy birthday serenade.

07adc2931e6f55be72a81f14316fc1a8.jpg

When we booked this trip, I gave Samantha her pick of birthday restaurants. She wisely selected Narcoossee's. We had never dined there and boy were we impressed. Our waiter couldn’t have better. He helped with wine pairings, and even brought us a few samples. I don’'t remember his name, but he was from Casablanca (one of my favorite old movies). In the end, I ended up with his suggestion of a flight of Californian Cabernet Sauvignons and the Pan-seared George’s Bank Day Boat Scallops. They were very good and prepared perfectly. Samantha got the grilled Alaskan Wild Caught Halibut. Again, perfectly prepared and creatively garnished.

5b511878dcdd0c0697d938c5c91b9fd9.jpg

What a view!
06d0abb33b085297c99ab1a177cfba88.jpg

By the time we were finished, the parks were closed, and we were ready to rest up for another magical day.

Just found it and great report and pics so far.

Love the rose drink. I wish they had it all year round.

Nice view during dinner.

Just found it and great report and pics so far. Love the rose drink. I wish they had it all year round. Nice view during dinner.

Thanks for reading and kind words! Glad you like it so far. I hope to have day two up this weekend.

Agreed! Rose drink is exceptional!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I'm following along :) I leave tomorrow and I love seeing pictures of the Flower and Garden Festival. Oh yeah and Go Hawks :thumbsup2

I'm following along :) I leave tomorrow and I love seeing pictures of the Flower and Garden Festival. Oh yeah and Go Hawks :thumbsup2

Go hawks! Have a great trip! The festival is so fun, you'll have a great time. Thanks for reading and following!

I'm in! Can't wait to read more.

I'm happy you got to stay at the Beach Club. We enjoy staying at the Epcot resorts. We have been DVC owners since 1992 and now our children are owners also. It was one of the best things we ever purchased.

I'm in! Can't wait to read more. I'm happy you got to stay at the Beach Club. We enjoy staying at the Epcot resorts. We have been DVC owners since 1992 and now our children are owners also. It was one of the best things we ever purchased.

Thank you and thanks for reading! Beach club was perfect. Nothing beats walking a few yards into EPCOT. After our tax appt. Monday, we're going to figure out how many points to buy. Glad to hear you (and your kids) love it.

Oh no! I've recently learned that my word processor doesn't handle ' but puts them in a 'r'. My apologies to any readers! I'm editing, sorry!

Day Three

Today is our Magic Kingdom day. I don’t know if I could ever go to the general Orlando area and not go to Main Street. Once you enter, you do feel transported. Either to another place, another time or another age. No matter what, it's an experience.

We got there right as the park opened, so there wasn’t much in the way of crowds (huge perk of the early AM). First stop, Starbucks on Main Street. It’s cool how they did it up; it’s a hybrid of a Starbucks and a Disney Coffee Shop. The baristas are in very Disney Cast Member clothes, there’s fun stuff all over (vintage looking Starbucks coffee cans), but then you can buy Tribute Blend Via Instant coffee packs. Much different from a normal Starbucks, there’s 4 barista stations and two kitchens behind the counter (what!). So, stuff come out quick when considering the lines.

There was some interesting construction going on all over the Magic Kingdom. Most noticeably, they were re-painting the castle turret tops from a blue to silver. I’m not sure what’s going on there. Might just be a primer coat, but it was going on. The closer you got to the castle there was a strong paint smell. Kinda gets in the way of those great Disney scents.

The rivers around the Magic Kingdom were drained. There were barriers up at the bridges so you didn’t look down into a drained river. I honestly didn’t even notice until we walked over by the Crystal Palace.

You can see some of the new walkways. Looks like a VERY welcome addition to the Magic Kingdom. I'm really looking forward to there being new ways to walk around an area of the park as familiar the central wheel around the castle. Could feel like a 'new' Disney World.

Yesterday in EPCOT, we started our Elsa dress mission. I thought, “Bibbity Boppity Boutique HAS to have ton of them.” So we made our way to the Bibbity Boppity Boutique right after Starbucks. To my surprise, we were greeted by crying girls because they don’t have any Elsa dresses. None. The CM at the register told me if we get to Downtown Disney right when they open, wait in line, on the day they get a shipment in (usually Thursdays), we might get one, but be prepared to fight for it. Also heard that they’re selling for $900 on e-Bay. Not so sure on that one. My mission was now elevated another level.

New Fantasyland is just cool. It's funny that the ‘Tangled’ themed bathrooms are a actually pretty cool. You never think of a bathroom as a must see, but this is. The area outside of it has a huge seating area that has cell phone charging stations.

Also on the list of stuff I forgot, portable cell phone charger. A must bring for long days in Disney (especially if you're coming with a music group). If you don't have one, run, don't walk, and get one. Amazon has a lot of great options for not much cash. If you're with 150 of your best 14-18 year old friends, it's a must have.

On our Journey in New Fantasyland, I took in the progress of the 7 dwarfs ride. It looks really tool, I can't wait to ride it.

On our way for a Dole Whip (a must eat) I spotted this gorgeous blooming tree (right next to the dole whip shop). Being that Chicago is just starting to thaw now, we're all so very excited to see things blooming.

Next up, the Hall of Presidents! Always a must do. Does anyone else notice that several of the historical artifacts change frequently? I'm still a huge history nerd, and always take pictures of the new items.

George Washington's Beer Mug (though actually he used it for cider). As being a before mentioned history nerd, and having read Robert Chernow's biography "Washington: A Life" recently, I took the opportunity to geek-out at this.

James Garfield clock tower calendar , JFK photograph and George W Bush boots.

Rutherford Hayes top hat and walking stick and Gerald Ford Eagle Scout Medals.

Teddy Roosevelt powder horn and LBJ electric toothbrush. Of the all LBJ stuff you could show, his toothbrush? Really? At least they were clean.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Presidents of the United States (my best Sargent at-arms voice)!

Part of the that was secretly left off of yesterday's trip report, we went and talked to the DVC people! We've been looking at DVC for about three years, doing all the research if it's right for us, etc. figuring out when it's right for us to buy. Part of the reason for this trip was to see if we liked DVC and rented points.

We talked to the guy at one of the DVC stations in EPCOT. Another couple who are current multi-contract owners couldn't say enough great stuff about DVC while we were there. So, we went directly to the DVC people in their office. They were so helpful and very, very low pressure. Samantha hadn't realized how much the savings would be, and that it's very affordable for us (with what we're looking for). We have gone to Disney every two years since we started dating (not counting band trips). She also likes the idea of buying into something that can be a family tradition.

We decided we needed to see the Villas at the Grand Floridian. Which takes us to today. When you walk into the Villas, it's awe inspiring. The 'flagship' resort does not disappoint. The pictures of the room don't do them any justice. They feel classy and spacious. Needless to say we like it a lot.

The DVC guy at the VGF took us to see a studio and one bedroom. Samantha loved the detail in the rooms. She really liked that they studio has two showers. The "model rooms" they show you must have the best views in all of the VGF. You look out and see Space Mountain directly across the lagoon. On a bright sunny day, it looked like something off of a postcard.

I hadn't noticed all the crown moulding in the promotional materials! The craftsmanship of the room is luxurious. Granite is super high quality. You truly do feel "home."

They only real decision is buy DVC now or wait for the Poly? I said, we just need to walk over to the Poly and see how it feels? Well, it felt great too. This sparked the debate of "which one is more us?" That didn't help either. Poly lobby may be the most relaxing place anywhere.

Pretty much from here on during our trip, we're discussing VGF vs Poly and how many points 50/50 split, 25/75, 75/25, etc, etc. Either way, we're buying in. Through the rest of the trip, we would turn to each other and say, "Now I'm thinking 80/20.”

While in the Grand Floridian, the Society Big Band was playing! Whenever things get rough at work, I’ll tell myself, “I can win that drumset gig at the Grand Floridian.” This is me “vibing” the drummer. He’s scared.

After several rides and strolls around the park, it was dinner time at Be Our Guest. You check in at New Fantasyland, scope out the cool scenery, and hang out on the bridge until they call your name. They really nailed the rustic France provincial scenery. Looking around the bridge, I was amazed at the condition of the pine trees. For Central Florida, they are perfect! You would think they're either fake or you've been transported.

So they call your name and take you into the castle, it's just as if you've walked right into the movie. You know it's coming, but it's still pretty special. There's three rooms, the large dining room (where we ate). We sat right in front of the big windows in the back. There is show falling! Even when you're sitting next to the window, you can't see where the "outdoors" ends. Really cool. They encourage you to go walk around and check out the other dining rooms. I didn't go up to the enchanted rose, but it was there.

The Beast in his angry years room.

And the Music Box Room.

The food was REALLY good. I stared with the french onion soup. Really well done. Cheese was baked perfectly.

For wine, I did a bottle of Louis Jadot Chablis Burgandy (Nuits-Saint-Georges). It was good, moderately spicy, and bit bold, somewhat fruity, and not overbearing. Went pretty well with my pork chops.

Entrees: I had the Thyme-scented Pork Rack Chop. Totally drool worthy. It came with Au Gratin Macaroni, veggies and Au Jus. Samantha had the Chicken Provencial, it was cooked with heirloom tomatoes, olives, wine and potatoes. I liked my pork chop a lot. They cooked it so it was still juicy (they way a pork chop should be cooked). I'm not ashamed to say it, I drank the left over Au Jus. It was amazing. Samantha's chicken was really good. The flavors of the sauce were complex and interesting.

Desert: Samantha had the Lemon Meringue Cupcake, and I had the Grey Stuff. The Lemon Meringue was really nice. Great treat. The grey stuff was really good. The chocolate they have under the gray stuff is really good. I'm not sure how they prepared it, but just imagine a piece of chocolate cake cooked like a brownie, with a chocolate bar as the crust. Yes, it's that good.

After your meal. You get to have your picture taken with the Beast. It was Samantha's birthday trip (she brought the button along with for dinner). The Beast was pretty funny, he kept poking at her button. She said, "Yes, it's my birthday, thank you!" He just kept poking.

The detail in the castle is so cool.

We had a blast on rides, hit all of our favorites and the rides we missed out on when we were here with the band.

At night, we saw the Electrical Parade. I found a spot in Frontierland just before the parade came through. Oh, so much fun to be a kid again.

Can't say how, but I know Alice.

I didn’t remember the 7 Dwarfs mine carts. Pretty cool knowing what they’re doing with the ride.

We made our way to the castle for the "Castle projection show." Yes, that's not the real name, but it's CRAZY COOL. We stood on the bridge by Liberty Square and had great views. I snapped shots of a few of my favorite Disney movies imagined on the castle. Wreck it Ralph.

Frozen (Just bought Selections from Frozen for my younger bands)

For fireworks, I wanted to find a new spot. So we walked to Liberty Square and saw the fireworks sitting in front of the Hall of Presidents. It was a pretty good view! The castle is out of view, but you could see the fireworks easily.

I caved to the pressure and agreed to head back to the room so we could get an early start tomorrow. It was tough, I love being in the park when it's dark. Coming on a short trip and not feeling like you need to experience EVERYTHING is pretty nice. Also, looking for new ways to experience stuff was a great twist on our usual trip.

It is so weird seeing the water drained.
I have my phone charger and I got it from Amazon.
Nice seeing the Dwarf ride photo as I saw the first POV video today on Facebook. Looks like it can be fun.
We are DVC owners and love it. I would like to buy into VGF but I think we are holding out for Polynesian.
I do not think you can do split for DVC points. You have to buy 160 from Disney when you purchase through them. We bought into Saratoga Springs and bought resale. We will probably buy Poly from Disney as I do not want to wait for them next time. LOL. If you want both resorts then you purchase the main one for your home resort and then purchase the other as an add on.
Dinner sounded good.
The night sounds like fun. Wish I was there now. LOL.

It is so weird seeing the water drained. I have my phone charger and I got it from Amazon. Nice seeing the Dwarf ride photo as I saw the first POV video today on Facebook. Looks like it can be fun. We are DVC owners and love it. I would like to buy into VGF but I think we are holding out for Polynesian. I do not think you can do split for DVC points. You have to buy 160 from Disney when you purchase through them. We bought into Saratoga Springs and bought resale. We will probably buy Poly from Disney as I do not want to wait for them next time. LOL. If you want both resorts then you purchase the main one for your home resort and then purchase the other as an add on. Dinner sounded good. The night sounds like fun. Wish I was there now. LOL.

Thanks for reading! I was quite amazed by the drained water too!

We bought into VGF and are now just waiting for the poly point chart/ rate before deciding what's next! Hopefully another trip will help.

Enjoying your trip report greatly.

GO HAWKS (They were winning last time I checked the score, but I have a hard time watching I get nervous)

What fun to have tried out DVC points and now being members. very fun. Hubby and I discussed it but he is now Disney TA so it evens out...maybe down the road.

Love all the fun food shots. Be Our Guest was one of my favorite meals and you are so right about the gray stuff---just that good.

Excellent report! I've been looking for F&G reviews!
Thank you and thank you so much for reading! The F & G is amazing. I'm not able to travel to food & wine, we didn't know they had all the food options. Samantha called it food and wine light.

Enjoying your trip report greatly. GO HAWKS (They were winning last time I checked the score, but I have a hard time watching I get nervous) What fun to have tried out DVC points and now being members. very fun. Hubby and I discussed it but he is now Disney TA so it evens out...maybe down the road. Love all the fun food shots. Be Our Guest was one of my favorite meals and you are so right about the gray stuff---just that good.

Go Hawks! We were at the game today, what a great time. You from Chicago too? We're south siders.

621bdfb61ad5c592e3e3afc85fa85b6c.jpg
[/IMG]

Thank you so much for reading! What does Disney TA mean? Travel agent?

The decision to buy in we're so happy with. Samantha is just so excited that it will forever be our tradition.

Thanks again for reading!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter