Flower & Garden Birthday Spectacular ***7/7 Late Night Update***

Great report! You and your wife seem a lot like Will and I! Work hard, spoil our cats, and enjoy Disney vacays! I loved those baby pineapples picture! Will and I often have a "pizza party" at the end of the workweek which involves catching up on our shows and splitting a pineapple pizza!

Congrats on DVC. So many resorts to chose from as a home base! One of these days I will win the lottery and buy a Poly Bungalow!

Great report! You and your wife seem a lot like Will and I! Work hard, spoil our cats, and enjoy Disney vacays! I loved those baby pineapples picture! Will and I often have a "pizza party" at the end of the workweek which involves catching up on our shows and splitting a pineapple pizza! Congrats on DVC. So many resorts to chose from as a home base! One of these days I will win the lottery and buy a Poly Bungalow!

Ha! Thought the same thing reading yours! Thank you so much for reading!

Pineapple pizza is my absolute favorite (ex Lou's Malnati's deep dish in Chicago, which really is too good to be called food, it's more editable magic).

Those overwater bungalows are going to be so cool. In checking tikimans Facebook page daily to see if there's leaked concept pictures for the inside.

After too long of a delay, I’m back with the last installment of this trip report. Side note, marching band music writing is a full time job on its own! Just getting rolling and lots more to do.

Last Day

Ugh, last day in Disney is always such a sad thing. I really needed this time away from work, so this trip was a great thing. Being able to get away for a few days and celebrate my wife's birthday in style was the right thing to do.

Our last day we spent in EPCOT. We did Fountain View Starbucks for breakfast sandwiches and coffee. The plan was to wait until the World Showcase opens so we can run over to Norway and hopefully snag an Elsa dress for Samantha's friend. So, we had a nice casual morning. We saw some cool topiaries. The butterfly topiaries are right by the butterfly garden. We figured, nothing's hatched yet, but let's look anyway. Well, they hatched!

Check out the butterfly nurseries now! You can see several just hatched still on the roof, and some about to take flight.

Here's some butterflies around the garden.

They had cool little butterfly houses. Not sure if they actually use them, but they're cool.

As a conductor, I have a strong connection with the Fantasia Mickey. So, I snagged this picture of the Fantasia Mickey topiary. Rain was rolling in later in the morning, as you can tell by the skies behind him.

Once we rounded the corner near test track, I looked over by Norway to see a HUGE line for Elsa and Anna. My heart sunk. Did they open early? Did I fail my mission for a dress? We took off for Norway and.....

...Mission Accomplished. I thought of buying a bunch for e-Bay, but kept thinking of someone not getting their Elsa dress for their kid because I'm selling them on-line. So, just the one.

My Step-Mom runs and cross country skiis, so I sent her this picture of the statue of Grete Waitz (my Step-Mom is Finnish too, so she loves that culture). She loved it. Still trying to convince my Dad and Step-Mom to go to Disney with us someday. Someday!

Ever notice how cool the little viking ships are in Malstrom? They really have detailed those boats to perfection.

I love the little Norwegian village you exit your boat in. Instead of rushing out, we relaxed there for a moment. It's a really comfortable place. Must not be a bad job hanging out here all day as people get out of their viking ships.

Another job based picture. While on the Thee Cabeleros Boat Ride, I took this picture of the dis-placed Small World marimba band. If they ever start an EPCOT marimba band, I can win that gig…

Disney animals are so fun to watch. I don’t know if it missing your own pets so much that you start to adopt Disney squirrels and ducks as your own or they’re just that amazing. While waiting outside of the bathrooms, I was watching these ducks dive underwater. They would be underwater for quite a while, then pop up somewhere else.

The mini-museum inside of China and the Chin Dynasty (who I learned China is named after) mini-Warriors. Now, that would be an amazing sight to see. Even in small scale, they're really cool. In real life it has to be astonishing.

We went to hear the Voices of Liberty (a must do) and they were on vacation! Oh no! They cast member at the American Experience told us they had a jazz group filling in. Works for me.

They were really cool. Their 'front man' was a woodwind player (he played sax, flute and clarinet during their set). A drummer with a little harnessed brush kit, a bass player and guitar player. They were all outstanding. They would play patriotic songs and take solos. The guitar player was outstanding. I wanted to talk to him, but they split right after they finished playing. He played some pretty sophisticated stuff for the setting! Great harmony substitutions, side-stepping, diminished ladders, etc. (if you don't know what all that means, it’s just jazzer for, “it was pretty hip stuff”). Bass player was good, clearly an electric player playing upright. Wish I could hear them a few more times.

Lunch time!!! We had reservations at Via Napoli. If you haven't been there, go. You simply can't go wrong. Except for this trip, Samantha and I have been on the Paleo diet. Being that I love meat and vegetables, it wasn't a hard transition for me. With that and typical working out, I'm down 25 pounds (I think I pretty much always look the same; i.e. ugly). More than that, my health has been fantastic! Typically, I get a cold about every 6 weeks (thanks, kids). Not the case with Paleo. In the life and times of a band director, pretty much every fall I put on several pounds during marching season (road trips, late nights, no exercise, and even later dinners mostly on the run). Most every winter and spring, I lose a few. Long story short, we were both really looking forward to carb-ing out on some pizza.

Unreal salad with those tasty peppers from the Italian food kiosk.

Then the pizza came. A Disney pizza for two translates to a pizza for 10 anywhere else on Earth. Keep in mind, we were both craving pizza and very hungy. We ended up carrying around a carry out bag with about 4 slices we ate as a late snack before leaving.

A little walking off the carbs and I bumped into my friend Alice! I can’t say how I know her, but we go back.

Here comes the rain. I was fine with a rainy day at EPCOT. Mostly because had I not been given approved for a personal day for Samantha's birthday, I'd be working. A rainy day here beats work ANYDAY. I took some cool panoroma shots from the bride by France for those workdays that you need to think of the happiest place on Earth.

If you don’t have a youtube link to EPCOT Loop Music or some EPCOT pictures on your phone for when work gets rough, it’s a worthy investiment. May I also recommend a rainy day picture from Disney. Really helps you rememeber how happy you are there.

Yesterday, while we were in the Magic Kingdom, I saw a twitter post about Dole Whip with rum at a kiosk in EPCOT. We were floored that we missed it! How!?! WHY!?! So, today we weren't going to miss out. I saw the pineapple decorated kiosk (not by where the baby pineapples were) and we were in luck! Samantha had a Dole Whip with Meyer's Dark Rum, I had one with Parrot Bay Coconut Rum. Both were fantastic, I liked mine better though.

And so ends our journey. If you took the time to read this trip repot, thank you. Seriously, it really means a lot to me. I've long wanted to write a trip report as I've really enjoyed reading them. If you have any comments, please feel free to write or message me.

All the best,

Kirk

Update:
Currently having to put off what we thought would be a late summer trip due to some expensive repairs on our rental property (my old house that won't sell, but VERY luckly now has great renters), and taking several classes this summer to advance on payscale (9 graduate credit hours = Masters +30, yea).

Next trip report may not be for a while. Once savings is back up, we're debating how to make a weekend excursion work!

Thanks again for reading this trip report!

Is your trip over?!! I was really enjoying discovering all of then new little things I didn't know at WDW!

Would love to try Via Napoli one time - pizza looks so yummy!

Go Hawks! We were at the game today, what a great time. You from Chicago too? We're south siders.

We live in the suburbs of Chicago - Batavia --still a little sad about the Blackhawks!

Thank you so much for reading! What does Disney TA mean? Travel agent?YUP he is a Disney Travel Agent

The decision to buy in we're so happy with. Samantha is just so excited that it will forever be our tradition.

Thanks again for reading!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Great quick trip report. Must try the special dole whip soon

Is your trip over?!! I was really enjoying discovering all of then new little things I didn't know at WDW! Would love to try Via Napoli one time - pizza looks so yummy!

Thank you, thank you for reading & posing! Yup, trip is over. So glad you like it.

Absolutely try Via Napoli, that pizza is outstanding.

Kirk

Great quick trip report. Must try the special dole whip soon

Alright Batavia! I'm further south in Frankfort/Tinley Park area now.

Thank you, thank you for reading & posing! We kept hearing about Dole Whips on here and sought them out in December with my band. This time finding the rum dole whips was awesome.

Kirk

Very excited. Just incase my points don't rent out, and with some other life matters on hold, we've book a three night trip! Looking forward to a great Valentine's Disney Trip!

Bay Lake, Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Savanna View and wait listing The Grand.

Long time until we go, but super excited.

Life update, on April 27th at 11:55pm we welcomed Ayla Ellyngton into our lives. Things have never been this amazing (and the blackhawks haven't lost since).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Haha, I love the introduction! I actually read it out loud to my husband because I think we can put "eating" as more than one of our favorite activities too!

Oh man, I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to search for that Elsa dress! I never had dress up clothes as a kid, but seeing just how much fun some kids have with them, I may buy some SUPER cheap (haha, from outlets or post-Halloween) so the kiddies can play with them at home.

I didn't know the stuff at Hall of Presidents changed! I looked at the stuff years ago, and I guess I never looked at it again. It's kind of insane to think that people of such great importance, like George Washington, touched the mug that we can see behind that glass (haha, or Lyndon B. Johnson's toothbrush?!?). Though I was never very good at history or social studies, I do like how Disney presents history. Unfortunately, I tend to go to HoP when I need to take a nap ...

Oh wow, DVC!!! My parents have a timeshare in Kissimmee, so we wouldn't ever get into DVC because when we do our family trips, it'll be at their place. It's technically more savings for Howard and me, but ever since we stayed on property for the first time during our Disneymoon, we have been hooked with all the benefits, especially EMH!

I don't think I have the willpower to do the Paleo diet. I love carbs way too much. I need a mix of protein and carbs so that I'm not starving an hour later! It's so bad, but during the school year, my main concern is just making sure I'm not starving during the school day because otherwise I can't concentrate on teaching, haha.

Yay! I enjoyed your report! You pointed out a lot of things I never noticed before. I have to say I really do like seeing Disney through the eyes of another teacher!

Haha, I love the introduction! I actually read it out loud to my husband because I think we can put "eating" as more than one of our favorite activities too!

Oh man, I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to search for that Elsa dress! I never had dress up clothes as a kid, but seeing just how much fun some kids have with them, I may buy some SUPER cheap (haha, from outlets or post-Halloween) so the kiddies can play with them at home.

I didn't know the stuff at Hall of Presidents changed! I looked at the stuff years ago, and I guess I never looked at it again. It's kind of insane to think that people of such great importance, like George Washington, touched the mug that we can see behind that glass (haha, or Lyndon B. Johnson's toothbrush?!?). Though I was never very good at history or social studies, I do like how Disney presents history. Unfortunately, I tend to go to HoP when I need to take a nap ...

Oh wow, DVC!!! My parents have a timeshare in Kissimmee, so we wouldn't ever get into DVC because when we do our family trips, it'll be at their place. It's technically more savings for Howard and me, but ever since we stayed on property for the first time during our Disneymoon, we have been hooked with all the benefits, especially EMH!

I don't think I have the willpower to do the Paleo diet. I love carbs way too much. I need a mix of protein and carbs so that I'm not starving an hour later! It's so bad, but during the school year, my main concern is just making sure I'm not starving during the school day because otherwise I can't concentrate on teaching, haha.

Yay! I enjoyed your report! You pointed out a lot of things I never noticed before. I have to say I really do like seeing Disney through the eyes of another teacher!

Rachel!! What a thoughtful post! Thank you! I'm so thrilled you enjoyed the report. I'm trying to find time to work on a report from a February trip, but napping and band camp has taken priority. Today starts our 2nd phase of 2-9pm practices, up from 5-9pm for the last two weeks. So, maybe later.....

When ever we decide we might go to Disney, my wife's first though it where we haven't eaten yet. Such a fun thing to research before going! Glad to hear you guys do that too!

Searching for the Elsa dress was a great mission. I'm totally up for the kid toy challenge. No dress up clothes? That's sad! It's funny to think of how thrifty parents were (and many are still) when I was growing up, seemed more mainstream though. The idea of 'buying' something of a 'brand' was simply not an option for me either. I remember my Mom saying, "You're not going to be a walking adertisement for a company," in response for wanting Nike shoes. Abernathy's nameless shoes were a statement against corporate logos apparently.

HoP used to be my nap spot in high school. Darn that cannon!!! That and people mover TTA. I always take pictures of the artifacts that show up. Very cool stuff, I really geek-out on history and Samantha does a great job of sincere nodding when I freak out over....LBJ's toothbrush.

I pretty much had to go paleo, or cook my own food for every meal. So, I had to go along. But, I get sick a lot less. The amount of colds I get during the school year is WAY down from where it used to be.

Right back at you! Loved reading about the summer lesson plans that....almost...kinda...happen. As a teacher in Disney, for me it's all about inspiration of creativity. I like to think about composition a lot when in the parks, and why we do things a certin way. Half the ideas go away, BUT it always gets me thinking!

Thank you so much for such a great response!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter