Flu shot...do you get one?

For me nope. Got my first and last ever flu shot summer 2016. I found out the hard way I’m not a candidate. Then tested positive for the flu in Jan. 2017 and got pneumonia. Was sick for 4 months. Was way worse then the 1998 flu I had. DH gets the shot every year. No reactions for him. Our teens don’t want them. We’ve given them the choice since they are old enough to make decisions regarding their bodies.

If everyone would get the shot many elderly and children would be spared from potential death.

I think you should say actual death. Million die of the flu every year. I don't think many people have any clue. Instead people watch the "news" and think they are at risk of something they saw on TV. Many of the news articles are some million to one shot that kills a few hundred people a year. Not millions like the flu.

We absolutely get them every year. I get them for me and for those around me. We have to think of those around us with compromised systems. It's sad that the term "flu" is misunderstood and over used in a wrong way. The true flu is nothing to play around with.

Yep, countless reasons.

I didn't used to get them, then on our 2007 trip to Disney World I got the flew on the morning Christmas eve. Since then I get them, every year.

Got the senior version. Did last year as well, but I did get the flu.

Yes, I got my shot in October. I’ve been getting a flu shot every year for as long as I can remember, and I’ve never had the flu. I’m going to do everything in my power to keep it that way.

Nope. I am a school secretary, and we don't have a nurse so all the sick ones come to me. The last time I got a flu shot, I ended up with the flu anyway, two months later. So far, 2 of the 6 kids we've had test positive for the flu this month also had a flu shot. Apparently Flu A wasn't included in the shot or something.

My husband is required to get one at work. He has also gotten the flu once a couple months after taking the shot.

I think it's really really stupid to not get a flu shot if you don't have a religious reason or legitimate medical reason (i.e., you're allergic to one of the substances in the vaccine) to not get vaccinated.

I guess our family is really really stupid then:thumbsup2

We’ve never got one and never will. I work in a place with tons of germs. I get sneezed and coughed on directly on a daily basis. Maybe my body is used to it.

Yes. With two asthmatics in the house I don’t take chances. I also will make social workers’ lives miserable until they relent and get any foster kids in our care the flu shot (I will take the kids to the appointment when I can, but depending on the legal status sometimes I am not allowed).

As a kid I did.
As a young adult I did not.
Since probably 2011 I have.
Not sure if it works or I'm just lucky but at least for the last few years I have not gotten the flu.
I now do it more for my parents than anything since I live with them and they are getting older and illness knocks them down a bit easier.
They also get the flu shot.

I had only had the flu shot two random years within the last ten or more years, and both years got the flu anyway. I feel pretty confident it was the flu as both times I had a fever and was too weak to get out of bed for multiple days. I did get the shot again this year though, so am hoping the third time is the charm!

With DH's weakened immune system we can't take the chance of not getting flu shot...IF he should get flu anyway we can at least say we tried.

I have to or my work will fire me. The only people who don’t have to get it are those that are allergic and they have to wear a mask for 6 months out of the year. They don’t even allow a religious exemption anymore and it is a religious hospital.

Even with the shot I got the flu a few years back. Worse 2 weeks of my life. I could barely walk across the hall to go to the bathroom without feeling like I was going to pass out. I never want to go through that again so I really hope they do a better job picking the strain from now on.

Absolutely, but my Mom and I are the only ones in the house that get it. Everyone else is afraid of needles. We’re both nurses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter