Foldable Wheelchair-Buses/Skyliner?

zuzu310

DIS Veteran
My mother is almost 70 and she has had multiple strokes, knee surgeries, and is currently dealing with kidney disease. I finally convinced her to rent a foldable wheelchair, but I don't know the protocol for them on the Skyliner and buses. She is ambulatory enough to transfer just fine. It is more the prolonged walking that becomes a problem. Do we just fold it up and use the regular Skyliner, or do we use the handicap one? Do we load in the handicap zone for buses or do we fold it up like we did our strollers (when my kids were young) and load from the front? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

The thing with the Skyliner is that in the regular line, the cabs SLOW DOWN, BUT NEVER STOP. So, if that’s a problem, then the handicap line might be better. Just tell the attendant there that she prefers to get out to sit on the bench and that the chair will be folded. (They use wheel chocks like the ones below). Thing is with the handicap cabs is that they take a minute to load and another minute to rejoin the rest of the line.IMG_8159.jpeg
If the driver sees a wheelchair, they will more than likely deploy the ramp in the middle of the bus regardless. It’s mainly because even if your mom can walk to the front door, they’ll assume that the step up will be too much for her (even with the bus in “kneeling mode”.) You can take the wheelchair up the ramp still, have her walk up the ramp, just tell the driver that you’ll fold the chair and she prefers to sit in a regular seat. The drivers are used to that from scooter renters who prefer the driver to “parallel park” the scooter on the bus (and let’s just say that with the new bus design, there’s gonna be a rise in those cases.)

When my DH started using a wheelchair at disney, we folded it and went in the front door. At the time, if he stood, he was ok. At home he was walking about , but not disney amount.

Then he moved on to waiting at handicapped spot. He had trouble with the step, but could walk up the ramp, and needed a seat. We would fold up the wheelchair, so extra seats weren't used. As Groot mentioned, there are new buses coming to disney, so this plan probably wouldn't have worked for DH anymore.

Now he is EVC almost the time at the parks. In hotel room, he uses a rollator. And in real life all the time.

At skyliner, I'd recommend using the handicap stop for sure. Even if she wants to sit on the bench and you fold up wheelchair. Stepping on and off a moving car, can be tricky for some. Don't want to ruin a trip with a fall.

Since we had both parents in wheelchairs and my mom was somewhat ambulatory we would push my dad up the ramp and strap him in then one would push my mom’s chair up while she walked up the ramp. We sat in the seat and held her wheelchair folded up on the bus allowing another wheelchair or scooter a space. (The other wheelchair or scooter loaded before we took my mom up the ramp).

We have seen this happen on the buses a few times, the bus driver will deploy the ramp, just be sure to tell the bus driver that once on board you will fold the scooter to make room for more people with mobility devices.

If you end up with one of the new buses, your mother may need the wheelchair for a seat if the few lower bus stadium seats are taken and she cannot step up onto the upper level to find a seat. Disney has really thrown a curve ball to those who cannot stand on a moving bus with these newly designed buses.

If you end up with one of the new buses, your mother may need the wheelchair for a seat if the few lower bus stadium seats are taken and she cannot step up onto the upper level to find a seat. Disney has really thrown a curve ball to those who cannot stand on a moving bus with these newly designed buses.
Yup. Makes me even more grateful that my mom finally let me buy my own wheelchair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter