Food supply chain is breaking

But truthfully, that is because of changing buying/eating habits. People wanting different methods of production and processing, shift to other sources of protein, etc.
How does factory farms translate to taste or eating habits... demand? The quality of small farm meat is highly superior in general. in my experience.

I agree that tastes of the consumers play a role to a certain extent, but that is shown more by the breeding of the domestic meat chicken to favor breast meat over dark producing birds which cannot walk due to their rapid growth and breast weight. But as far as the meat monopoly goes, a lot of it is due to the rise of standardized fast foods like McDonalds and their needs and buying power.

McDonald's corp. is the largest buyer of beef, chicken even produce like, tomatoes, potatoes etc and they need large orders and they need them standardized in terms of size and taste. it really re-shaped how food is processed and even raised.

I encourage you to watch Food Inc. It is a documentary and the movie equivalent of The Jungle.

Thus since it's the company's responsibility what is the need of the Executive Order? To prod the company to protect the workers, remove liability, or a combination of both?

Again, why were they not held responsible for any other company?

From USDA:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) of the Department of Health and Human Services and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) of the Department of Labor have put out guidance for plants to implement to help ensure employee safety to reopen plants or to continue to operate those still open. Under the Executive Order and the authority of the Defense Production Act, USDA will work with meat processing to affirm they will operate in accordance with the CDC and OSHA guidance, and then work with state and local officials to ensure that these plants are allowed to operate to produce the meat protein that Americans need. USDA will continue to work with the CDC, OSHA, FDA, and state and local officials to ensure that facilities implementing this guidance to keep employees safe can continue operating.

Again, why were they not held responsible for any other company?

From USDA:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) of the Department of Health and Human Services and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) of the Department of Labor have put out guidance for plants to implement to help ensure employee safety to reopen plants or to continue to operate those still open. Under the Executive Order and the authority of the Defense Production Act, USDA will work with meat processing to affirm they will operate in accordance with the CDC and OSHA guidance, and then work with state and local officials to ensure that these plants are allowed to operate to produce the meat protein that Americans need. USDA will continue to work with the CDC, OSHA, FDA, and state and local officials to ensure that facilities implementing this guidance to keep employees safe can continue operating.
I'm not sure what you mean- contextually wise.

I'm not sure what you mean- contextually wise.

They have given the plants guidelines to keep their employees safe. It’s the job of the plants to follow those. That’s what USDA, OSHA, the health department and whoever else may inspect these places are for.

It’s the employers responsibility.

It's also the responsibility of those who set the guidelines to enforce them.

They have given the plants guidelines to keep their employees safe. It’s the job of the plants to follow those. That’s what USDA, OSHA, the health department and whoever else may inspect these places are for.

Sorry was multi tasking, LOL. What you said did make sense. Now of course one wonders how long will it take the various groups to implement and write up these changes.

How does factory farms translate to taste or eating habits... demand? The quality of small farm meat is highly superior in general. in my experience.

I agree that tastes of the consumers play a role to a certain extent, but that is shown more by the breeding of the domestic meat chicken to favor breast meat over dark producing birds which cannot walk due to their rapid growth and breast weight. But as far as the meat monopoly goes, a lot of it is due to the rise of standardized fast foods like McDonalds and their needs and buying power.

McDonald's corp. is the largest buyer of beef, chicken even produce like, tomatoes, potatoes etc and they need large orders and they need them standardized in terms of size and taste. it really re-shaped how food is processed and even raised.

I encourage you to watch Food Inc. It is a documentary and the movie equivalent of The Jungle.

I have a Bachelors and Masters degree in Agriculture Science; one of my courses was Meat Science.

It's also the responsibility of those who set the guidelines to enforce them.

Yeah. Sorry left that part out! But yes it’s the plants guidelines to follow them and OSHA and the others to make sure they are being followed.

I'm sure anyone that was for the President forcing companies to make masks and ventilators a few weeks ago supports this decision.

Sarcasm noted.
PPE and ventilator shortage was because next to none were made in the US.
The President’s action was taken because plants were closed due to workers being infected and the need to to sanitize them to protect the workers.
Now, with liability not an issue, these big businesses are free to go back to their old ways.

I have seen them, followed meat from the farmer to the slaughterhouse to the processing plant; and it is up to the COMPANY to protect their employees, just like it is for the other end of the chain.

The federal government wasn’t expected to protect the cashier at Walmart or the employees at the plants made to make those vents.

As for it being a need. Food is a need. If we have a shortage of meat, people will buy the other things to replace it and we end up with a shortage in other areas. It is all a set of dominoes.

You forget the workplace safety regulations that exist at the federal level. That’s understandable, despite those requirements being the law of the land there have been a lot of efforts to defund or otherwise stop enforcement. The big, “essential” retailers took measures to protect their workers. So did the plants modified to produce PPE and vents. And worker protection was the motivation behind closure of meat processing plants. The executive order stopped that.

It is insane how many MMQBs there are around the world. If action is taken, it is the wrong thing. If no action is taken, it is the wrong thing. Honestly, the message sent that the food supply in the USA is at risk is all the motivation needed for the presidential order. We supply meat for distribution around the world, as do many other countries. It is time to stop making COVID-19 a political event. Instead of ripping every action apart, how about trying to constructively contribute to solutions?

It is insane how many MMQBs there are around the world. If action is taken, it is the wrong thing. If no action is taken, it is the wrong thing. Honestly, the message sent that the food supply in the USA is at risk is all the motivation needed for the presidential order. We supply meat for distribution around the world, as do many other countries. It is time to stop making COVID-19 a political event. Instead of ripping every action apart, how about trying to constructively contribute to solutions?
What is a MMQB(s)?

For those with freezers, do you have a generator too? That is a lot of food going bad if you lose power and don’t have a way to power the freezer.

Yes, we do. We bought it for the RV but it stays in the back of the pickup. We lost power here last week and broke it out to run the fridge. The power was back on within 8 hours so the freezer was fine.

Sarcasm noted.
PPE and ventilator shortage was because next to none were made in the US.
The President’s action was taken because plants were closed due to workers being infected and the need to to sanitize them to protect the workers.
Now, with liability not an issue, these big businesses are free to go back to their old ways.

You forget the workplace safety regulations that exist at the federal level. That’s understandable, despite those requirements being the law of the land there have been a lot of efforts to defund or otherwise stop enforcement. The big, “essential” retailers took measures to protect their workers. So did the plants modified to produce PPE and vents. And worker protection was the motivation behind closure of meat processing plants. The executive order stopped that.

I posted the USDA’s statement on those in my next post. There are several organizations whose entire purpose is to give guidelines and make sure they are carried out.

The don’t have to close to protect their employees, if it can be done by following those guidelines.

Shutting down needed processing plant is just one more nail in our already battered economy. And food is still a need.

My DH is already back to work - construction - and he had to read through a course I believe from OSHA on safety at work due to Covid-19. I know a lot didn't pertain to him as it was saying things like no congregating in a kitchen area or break room which he doesn't have on a construction site. He had to read through the course and print off a certificate saying he completed it and keep it on him at all times on the job site.

My DH is already back to work - construction - and he had to read through a course I believe from OSHA on safety at work due to Covid-19. I know a lot didn't pertain to him as it was saying things like no congregating in a kitchen area or break room which he doesn't have on a construction site. He had to read through the course and print off a certificate saying he completed it and keep it on him at all times on the job site.

Yep. Dh drives a truck and he had to do the same thing. Since he no longer goes out of state, he doesn’t have to worry about other states, but for some drivers with his company, they have to know the orders in those states and how it pertains to them. And their employers provide them with whatever those guidelines have told them they need, like masks and hand sanitizer.

OK I'm not paying total attention to this thread (cooking, and a PT conference) but it seems to me that sanitizing, rebuilding/revamping work spaces, and providing PPE requires a lot more than masks and hand sanitizers.
It takes at least a day to sanitize a supermarket.

OK I'm not paying total attention to this thread (cooking, and a PT conference) but it seems to me that sanitizing, rebuilding/revamping work spaces, and providing PPE requires a lot more than masks and hand sanitizers.
It takes at least a day to sanitize a supermarket.

They have been given the guidelines to follow. Any work place is going to be different. I mentioned dh but he is in a truck most of the day, alone. He gets out and is outside in a mill to load or unload. If he goes inside any building, he wears a mask and used the sanitizer when he gets back in the truck. I am sure the pp’s husband has different things to follow for a construction site.

Someone who would benefit from saying the supply chain is breaking down doesn't have a whole lot of credibility. Meat plants were shut down for good reason and they should remain that way until drastic measures are taken to ensure employee safety.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter