Food Trucks at the Boardwalk.

Aren't the individual shops and venues part of the charm of the boardwalk? Speaking as someone who has owned there for about 18 years, it certainly is to me!

I hope something new goes into Big River Grille sooner rather than later. But zero interest in seeing BW mirror all star dining facilities.
I had more in mind something like The Mara or Roaring Forks type of joint, not a huge Value resort food court. I was happy with what was there when I bought in 2018, right now not so much.

Aren't the individual shops and venues part of the charm of the boardwalk? Speaking as someone who has owned there for about 18 years, it certainly is to me!

I hope something new goes into Big River Grille sooner rather than later. But zero interest in seeing BW mirror all star dining facilities.
I agree - I've owned at the BW for a long time. We remember Spoodles and everything in that location since. As a few others have said, I also enjoyed ESPN. Yeah, the food wasn't anything great. But we could get in there almost any time (before they started ADR's there at the end or on certain Sundays) for a quick bite & good beer. The sports theme was over the top fun. Big River was good once upon a time (not great, mind you), but those days are years and years gone. Flying Fish was, IMO, a lot more enjoyable 10-15 years ago. Don't care for the current venue.
We have always enjoyed walking along the Boardwalk, going to different locations. I mean, whose kids did not ADORE Seashore Sweets??!!?? Now we have a bar.
If the Cake Bake shop is any indication, Big River will be vacant for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng time.

Actually, they are very popular here were I live and they have weekly events with them during the Spring and Summer

So, for us, they are a thing of today.
Same. Food trucks were a massive hit during Covid lockdowns in Sydney.

I really don't see the issue here. Disney has offered a short term solution to an unforeseen problem. Wouldn't it be a larger problem if they did nothing?

Disney needs new management. Food trucks are Third World.
I think they’re fun and different than the same QS/eatery that all the other resorts have. Every boardwalk I have ever visited has had food trucks lining the the street adjacent. I’ve even had friends who brought some well-themed ones to their weddings so I definitely have to disagree with you, they most certainly aren’t third world. I think they’re a quirky and fun temporary replacement but I wouldn’t mind if it became permanent, especially if they changed out the food offerings from time to time, bring in different cuisines to the area.

For me they are a thing of yesterday and very scheevy. I do not eat from food trucks especially when on vacation!
Everything comes back to fashion at some point. They might have been a thing of the past but younger generations certainly love them and they’ve definitely become very popular again. I’d give them a chance! Many food trucks have unique gourmet menus so likely the offerings have massively improved than what you might remember (at least the ones I’ve been to)! It’s obviously not a sit down meal but if Disney does them right, they could be an amazing quick option.

Serious question.
More than one person on this thread has called the food trucks a “temporary“ or “short term” solution. Do you have knowledge that this will be a short term thing? Has something been announced?
I’ve read the official and unofficial announcements, and I cannot recall Disney (or anyone) announcing a plan or replacement for Big River. And as I previously stated, if the Cake Bake construction is any indication, it’ll be quite a while before something gets in there.
Anyone with insight or knowledge, please let me know!

Food trucks are very popular here too. I just wish they'd publish a schedule of the food trucks so there's an idea of what type of trucks will be there on which day.

I imagine opening a restaurant within WDW is a feat. They'd have to find a good, solid company, willing to sign on for X amount of time... who knows what other conditions. I'm sure the trucks are a 'stop-gap' to help five the Boardwalk more options, until something else comes along- who knows when.

Serious question.
More than one person on this thread has called the food trucks a “temporary“ or “short term” solution. Do you have knowledge that this will be a short term thing? Has something been announced?
I’ve read the official and unofficial announcements, and I cannot recall Disney (or anyone) announcing a plan or replacement for Big River. And as I previously stated, if the Cake Bake construction is any indication, it’ll be quite a while before something gets in there.
Anyone with insight or knowledge, please let me know!
I was under the impression that the restaurant closing was a surprise for Disney too. If so there will be a bit of time before a plan will be announced.

Food trucks are no different than some guy selling you food out of his car. Lipstick on a pig, but in the end they are a sign of decline, not progress. They are lazy and cheap, but Disney doesn’t give you a discount on their sloppy food truck food. They charge as if you have a table inside an air conditioned building. Disney is communicating to their customers how little they think of us. We will serve you overpriced junk out of a truck and you will over pay for the privilege of eating it on the ground or on the top of a garbage can like an animal. Calling it “gourmet street cuisine” is just marketing. It’s not reality.

Food trucks are no different than some guy selling you food out of his car. Lipstick on a pig, but in the end they are a sign of decline, not progress. They are lazy and cheap, but Disney doesn’t give you a discount on their sloppy food truck food. They charge as if you have a table inside an air conditioned building. Disney is communicating to their customers how little they think of us. We will serve you overpriced junk out of a truck and you will over pay for the privilege of eating it on the ground or on the top of a garbage can like an animal. Calling it “gourmet street cuisine” is just marketing. It’s not reality.
I don’t know what the laws are where you live, but in Texas food trucks are regulated as tightly and inspected as frequently as brick and mortar restaurants. They’re very popular here, and there are even food truck parks (like the cluster of food trucks in Disney Springs) offering a variety of cuisines. I’m not any more worried about eating from a food truck than I am from any other restaurant.

Food trucks are no different than some guy selling you food out of his car.
You could not be more wrong. I realize this is not in LA but food trucks there have to pass the LA county food inspection and that is the toughest test in CA.

As far as being lazy I’m assuming that is from Disney as these Food Truck people are certainly not!!

Regardless of the cleanliness, it’s just that I don’t expect the same thing from Disney that I can get at my local county fair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter