FOP for 6 yr old?

deedeew80

Dreaming of My Prince
Hi everyone! We are going to WDW the end of November. My 6 yr old son doesn’t like any thrill rides, not even a kiddie roller coaster! Do you think he would like FOP? I’m definitely going to take him on Soarin first to see how is is with that. I think he will be ok, but wanted to hear other’s experiences. My hubby isn’t too into rides either. He likes Soarin but when we went in 2015 he skipped it. Lol! TIA!

My 6 yr old boy was like this prior to our trip last week. He really liked FOP though but it was also our last day so he had built up some confidence on other rides during the trip. Also pointed out to him it was not a real ride - it will just look like moving but if he freaked out he could just close his eyes.

if he doesn't even like kiddie coasters, FOP will probably freak him out - it's pretty intense. My 6 year old daughter loved it, but also likes the coasters, Test Track, Soarin, etc.

DS10 loves Everest, Space Mt, Rock N Roller, Star Tours. He’s not a big fan of Soarin but can handle that as well as Forbidden Journeys and Gringotts over at Universal. He was really overwhelmed at FOP. He had tears and closed his eyes. He still has no interest in trying it again. So I’d say Soarin is your best Disney comparison knowing it’s more intense in many ways.

I would take him on Soarin' first to see how he does. FOP is like Soarin' X 5, IMHO. More immersive, more drops (though they are really smooth). I hate roller coaster drops and will only do 7DMT and BTMRR at this point. I love FOP.

My 6 and 8 year old are not roller coaster riders. However, Soarin and Test Track they love (they just don't like roller coasters in the traditional sense). I would test with Soarin and then watch a video of flight of passage. My kids did so much better knowing that they were getting into a ride that had dips, etc. The one part that freaked my son out to start is when they get you locked into the FOP ride. He doesn't like being restrained or feeling like he can't escape but as soon as the ride started he relaxed. It is intense, so I felt with them knowing what they were getting in to with the ride, they could enjoy it and not worry about what came next.

Both my kids didn't like it. My 8 year old doesn't like intense rides but likes Soarin and mine train.

My 6 year old is usually good about thrill rides (she went on Everest at 5), but did not like it.

With the way seating is, you can't really comfort them during the ride.

If your son does not like thrill rides then I'd skip FoP. There are simulated turns and dips, the kind that make your tummy feel funny. At one point you "feel" like you are almost upside down but you are still seated just tilted on the seat. As others mentioned, try Soarin and see if he likes that. FoP is much more intense though.

My 6 YO was also afraid of any coasters (even the kiddie ones) and super loved FOP. It's more virtual reality than actual ride. If he likes 3D movies/video games than he'll probably like FOP. It's more like an arcade game where you drive the car and it moves some vs a coaster. My sons loves those so FOP was fine.

I read a lot about how intense FOP was before we went so I was a bit nervous about taking my 8 and 5 year old on it, even though they love roller coasters. We rode it for the first time last weekend and my kids were perfectly fine on it and I didn't find it overly intense at all! You can very easily reach your children if they're seated next to you (my daughter was nervous beforehand and my husband and I - on either side of her - held her hands until it started and she realized it wasn't scary at all so she told us to let go!) My kids do love roller coasters though - Expedition Everest was my 5 year old's favorite ride and he made us go on it 7 times in 2 days! So while I don't find it as intense as others, if your child hates roller coasters then they might not like it at all because there are a lot of dips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter