• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For all of you worried that Happily Ever After won't be a good replacement for Wishes

I watched last night on the live event and I was seriously impressed. I was afraid they'd cut back on the fireworks a bit but I think they actually added them.

I loved that they incorporated old favorites like the Hunchback and all. Those characters are so overlooked.

Overall... I was impressed by how long the show was. At points it felt like it dragged on but that may be due to watching it on the live feed. I'm sure when you're there that it totally immerses you.

It's hard to see Wishes go but between the projections, lights and fireworks, I think HEA will be a suitable replacement

oh it's pure speculation but it's based in how half the fireworks aren't in the star wars fireworks show anymore.

Wow after seeing this quote I found an recent (January 2017) video of the Star Wars fireworks show and split screened it with the Dis video (July 2016). I sync'd it up as best I couple and wow it is a totally different show since they DID remove a lot of the fireworks. I saw it in June 2016 and thought it was totally amazing. Now totally not as epic as it once was.

Hard to believe Disney won't try to do the same thing with Happily Ever After. Or maybe they will only bring out the "full" fireworks affects for special occasions or busy times in the parks. Very eye opening!

I've seen a few posters express their disappointment that a certain song or classic is missing, so found this list on Fandom. Not sure if it's complete or in order, so don't shoot the messenger. :) Songs like, "When You Wish Upon a Star," are in there, but not as prevalent, of course. However, HEA covers a lot.

There are pros/cons, but I'll try to reserve until I see it in person. The emotional ties to Wishes runs deep, but it wasn't a perfect show, either. We took advantage many times of skipping it. However, the memories it brought won't be gone or forgotten.

I'm iffy on it. These are my thoughts.

-I love the Happily Ever After song but wish there was a more cohesive score throughout. It felt disjointed to me.

-the finale is beautiful. Perfectly Disney.

-I generally am not a fan of projection mapping because to me there is nothing more beautiful than fireworks over the classic castle. I think it's cool it just doesn't do much for me. I was disappointed when it was first announced that it was projection based.

I am holding off on making my final judgment until I see it in September. I surprisingly felt a little underwhelmed watching it. Was not expecting that. Didn't hate it but didn't love it (at least, not yet.)

Over the years I've made so many wishes at Wishes that came true. A part of me is still hanging on to that. I'm hoping Happily Ever After truly wins me over when I see it live!

You said something I was thinking but couldn't put my finger on it :) I think the projection PLUS the fireworks is a lot to take in visually at the same time. Before, the projection show was first and you could let your eyes settle on it, then focus on the fireworks with the simply lit castle. Now it's like everything is going on at the same time. I think it's what gave it a scattered feeling to me

oh it's pure speculation but it's based in how half the fireworks aren't in the star wars fireworks show anymore.
I had the same worry! I saw the original Star Works show and it was AMAZING... then they changed it and now I don't really care for it much. I was SO hoping this new castle show wasn't going to end up being the same way!

You said it right here Cost-Cutting! Yes, its a new show, lets go all out! I wonder whats gonna happen to it 6 months to a year from now. I never saw Wishes on Day 1, it wasn't till 2005 that I first saw it so I don't know if anythings ever been cut, but the Illuminations soundtrack I have doesn't match up 100% with what I see today. Hallowishes has a whole section cut out from when it first came to be.

I don't know what but I worry that some sort of cost-cutting will happen and something will have to go in the future, most likely some of the fireworks (there are a lot of them). Right now if they didn't do a wiz bang job there would be holy hell from the guests
Never can understand the mind thought of not enjoying something because of the uncertain dread that it might possibly change in the future without any knowledge that it will actually happen.

Wow after seeing this quote I found an recent (January 2017) video of the Star Wars fireworks show and split screened it with the Dis video (July 2016). I sync'd it up as best I couple and wow it is a totally different show since they DID remove a lot of the fireworks. I saw it in June 2016 and thought it was totally amazing. Now totally not as epic as it once was.

Hard to believe Disney won't try to do the same thing with Happily Ever After. Or maybe they will only bring out the "full" fireworks affects for special occasions or busy times in the parks. Very eye opening!
As many have said there are other reasons why the pyro was reduced. Most having to do with safety and the location of the launching pad.

Are there any nods to Wishes in this show? I'm avoiding watching it until our trip in 6 weeks. I know tink flies but I was wondering if there were any similar scores, fireworks bursts, or anything like that.

Are there any nods to Wishes in this show? I'm avoiding watching it until our trip in 6 weeks. I know tink flies but I was wondering if there were any similar scores, fireworks bursts, or anything like that.
They do have the two crossing solo shots towards the end.

I was wondering about viewing HEA. Wishes could be seen from different areas in the park. Do you have to be in front of the castle to enjoy? Is the projection only in the front?

I absolutely loved it! I think this show is far better than Wishes. It is visually stunning! The music, projections, lighting and the pyro are a big upgrade. And it makes me far more emotional than Wishes ever did...and this is coming from a Disney fanatic who loved Wishes. I am certain that I will leave Magic Kingdom crying every time I see this. I loved everything about it! Bravo Disney! You have really given us something spectacular!!!

We attended the dessert party with the garden view last night. The show was great!!! Is it Wishes no but like someone posted earlier it was so special to see my 5 year old sing along to all the songs. When Tink flew at the end the crowd went wild! I think in time new memories will be made with Happily Ever After and there will be a whole new generation mourning it when it is retired.

Last edited:
Never can understand the mind thought of not enjoying something because of the uncertain dread that it might possibly change in the future without any knowledge that it will actually happen.
I didn't say I didn't enjoy it. Just that my fear is it won't look the same. One just needs to look to our past The history is there in some shows that cuts happen

First, I would say that I wasn't the biggest fan of Wishes. I think it is just because I thought it was getting old to me and I wanted to see something new. I thought Disneyland's Forever was an amazing show. It was an immersive experience with a great mix of projections on both the castle and the Main Street and fireworks. After watching Happily Ever After, I love the projections and use of a lot of different movies. It appears that the fireworks are fairly consistent throughout the show. I do enjoy watching the fireworks the most from the Contemporary, so I am curious on how this show appears from that vantage point. I hope a video appears within the next few weeks or will have to wait and see it in person myself in like 5 months.

I do like that they included some songs like Out There, Go The Distance, and other what I would call 'second tier' Disney songs. However, I wish they would have more of the great or classic songs in there for a longer period of time. Like When You Wish Upon A Star, Be Our Guest, Part Of Your World, A Whole New World, Let It Go, Beauty and the Beast, or something. Sure some of those songs were briefly in there. But the focus songs felt like Out There, Go The Distance, Moana song, You'll Be In My Heart, kind of Friend Like Me, Love Is An Open Door, I See The Light. Again that is a very picky criticism. I personally like the show better then Wishes. I cannot wait to see it in the parks and hope it is good from the Contemporary.

LOL, Wishes was only a "classic" and it's music a "classic" because it was around for so long, and for many it is/was our first Disney fireworks show. Think of all the thousands upon thousands who will make THIS show their classic as it's their first show. Much like MSEP was THE classic night parade and I found Spectro to be a paltry substitution with awful music, while many others claimed Spectro was THE classic with better music.

In Disney terms, classic just means it's been around so long it's part of our shared nostalgia. Wait long enough and the new one becomes the ol' classic.

I didn't see this in person...so take this opinion with a grain of salt.

But I think the show will still be enjoyable from other vantage points.
Yes you'll miss the projections but if you can get over knowing you're missing the projections, the fireworks themselves are still stunning.

I re-watched this on my mobile device and covered up the castle with my thumb so I couldn't see it. (Ultra realistic simulation...I know)

But the fireworks alone were awesome! They went with the music, they were constant throughout the show. I wouldn't hesitate to watch this from somewhere other than Main Street.

Last edited:
My view: (best 360 you'll find so scroll around and look around the hub. if you have goggles it'll be as close as I can get on youtube for being there.).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter