For autistic children who are into repetition

Just wanted to add that now DD is an adult she can find the words to express how she's feeling inside rather than just 'going off on one' for no apparent reason.

Her mood can turn 180 in seconds. One minute she'll be standing next to you talking rationally, the next second she'll get an itch or the sun hits her 'just so' and she'll just go loopy. It's all part of the over-stimulation that most Asbergic people suffer from at one stage or another. This year's holiday had high points, but she would also suddenly lose it and stomp off screaming and swearing. I'm in a scooter and can't follow her down steps, for example. In the same way, one second she'd be screaming at me acusing me of ruining her holiday and the next she'd be talking normally about something she's just seen in the theming of the ride, for example.

Thankfully she's never been a 'got to ride this again NOW' person, although we will often book a FP and, before going on and riding it, she'll get a return time on her DAS so that we can come off and often go almost straight back in again. Several times we've stayed on Buzz Lightyear because one of us has had a gun which didn't work and they've let us stay on and go round again - although we changed cars to avoid the broken gun. (Seriously, that ride needs major refurb work on it: I used to get 999,999 regularly. These days I'm lucky if I get to 100,000.)

Basically, I'm commenting to give my angle, and also to thank those of you who posted very kind replies. There's nothing worse than having a young adult kicking off because they can't help it and being stared at by everyone because you're a bad parent for a) bringing them up with so little discipline, and b) being unable to control your own child.

As a parent who has been there, I completely understand. First three times I took my son, I didn't know about the then GAC. He had some meltdowns, and what worked for us-telling him we would come back to that, and on the first trip (pre internet), I had cut out pictures and his preschool laminated them on index cards for me, I punched holes in the cards and had them on a ring type thing that I hung from my fanny belt and used that for our schedule. The GAC was great for people on the spectrum that had issues like the OP, but the abuse by other people was rampant. DAS was put in place, and DS can deal with it since it started.
The only thing I can offer is what someone else posted. Get the DAS and before each ride take advantage of the DAS to schedule a return. If that isn't "the ride", then ignore that return and move onto the next ride and repeat. If you think this will be the one that will be repeated and twice ain't gonna cut it, AND if there's someone in your party willing to do this-have that person stay off the DAS return wait line. I'm not sure if it'll show up on the MDE app or not when the riders have passed the FP line and merging onto the ride-but see they can reschedule the ride again with the DAS.
Now that DS is older, he understands more and knows we will return to the ride eventually. But he still wants to ride GMR and won't understand it's not there until he sees it in person.

This is essentially what the Universal resort express pass allows for. You must get back in the express line, but on certain rides there is very little, if any wait. I can understand that people wish Disney had a similar option, but based on need rather than ability to pay. I do not have a child who is focused on repetition to that degree, but I sympathize.

OTOH, I know that there was serious abuse of the GAC that ruined it for everyone else. Most people don't want to just ride the same ride over and over, but I can see this being a serious problem on certain rides that many people might want to ride multiple times in a row. That's one reason the Universal express pass can't be used on Harry Potter rides. However, if I was a ride CM, I would want to allow it on a case-by-case basis. I've seen CMs grant fastpass pixie dust for much less convincing reasons, e.g. the child is finally tall enough to ride something and the parents didn't book a FP.

Actually, this changed over the summer. EP is now good everywhere.

1) Alas, Universal has fewer visitors than WDW.
2) They can have these perks.
3) If WDW tried it, there would be a lot of Internet postings, and they would be overloaded.

There is no reason this couldn't be offered on a pay basis. Universal limits the number of EP it sells each day - no reason WDW couldn't.

There is no reason this couldn't be offered on a pay basis. Universal limits the number of EP it sells each day - no reason WDW couldn't.

COUNTERPOINT:
1) OK, Disney offers it on a pay-basis.
2) How many people would sign up and pay, just to get more rides?
3) Greed at WDW is not unknown or uncommon.
4) The whole purpose would be destroyed, and the folks who really need it would be left out.
5) And, before the question gets asked, Disney is not allowed to ask for medical proof, that this would be needed by the guest.
6) Even if it took a doctor excuse, how many FAKE excuses would appear?
7) The ONLY fair method is to make everyone wait their turn - FP or otherwise.

COUNTERPOINT:
4) The whole purpose would be destroyed, and the folks who really need it would be left out.
5) And, before the question gets asked, Disney is not allowed to ask for medical proof, that this would be needed by the guest.

Selling an access pass is not the same as getting a DAS - you are mixing the two up in your list, and they aren't the same thing. Who are the people 'who really need it'? Need what? The purchased access pass?

If it works at Universal, why wouldn't it work at WDW? They sell them at every basic theme park these days. It's not an accessibility pass, so no need for the medical stuff you posted above.

COUNTERPOINT:

You're missing my point. Universal sells express passes (with a daily limit) and they also offer the equivalent of a DAS. WDW could easily do this. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

You're missing my point. Universal sells express passes (with a daily limit) and they also offer the equivalent of a DAS. WDW could easily do this. One thing has nothing to do with the other.
but Disney does this for free it is called FP universal you have to pay. I like how Disney does it.

Eve and Gap, you're both talking about different passes, so there's no point arguing over who is right.

I got a mobility pass at Universal last time we were there (March 2015). You go to the entrance, they give you a return time based on the length of the line, you go away and come back when your time has opened up. However, instead of joining the express pass queue, you go straight to the entrance where you either transfer into a wheelchair (no scooters allowed inside their rides at all) or you walk. You then go straight into the queue. Where this will be depends on what ride you're going on. At Simpons I had to queue up the ramp with my walking stick, which was very difficult for me, especially as he sent us to the top level. Next time I will insist on going on the lowest level - only one ramp to negotiate then). At Minion Mayhem we joined right where you go into the holding area just before the ride itself. At Gringotts we had to walk a very long corrider and then go down in a lift and join the queue right at the loading area. At Hogwarts you go through the express queue and up a flight of stairs (could have done without that) and join the queue about 10m before the ride itself. Etc etc.

But they were replying to RustyScupper's post, which talked about both passes in a rather confusing way. They weren't arguing over who was right, were they?

I wasn't. I was just pointing out that express pass is a different thing than a Guest Assistance Pass (their version of a DAS).

The only thing I can offer is what someone else posted. Get the DAS and before each ride take advantage of the DAS to schedule a return. If that isn't "the ride", then ignore that return and move onto the next ride and repeat. If you think this will be the one that will be repeated and twice ain't gonna cut it, AND if there's someone in your party willing to do this-have that person stay off the DAS return wait line. I'm not sure if it'll show up on the MDE app or not when the riders have passed the FP line and merging onto the ride-but see they can reschedule the ride again with the DAS.

Yes, this works. DS's favorite ride for years was Tomorrowland Speedway. I prefer not to ride it (actually, I prefer not to be within 100 yards of the fumes, but we compromise with my watching from the stands). I would wait until they passed the second FP scan point, then go up and request another DAS for it. Even during busy times the wait for that one is usually pretty short. By the time they got off the ride, it was almost time that he could ride again. Not really helpful on the popular/long wait rides, but it works well if your kid happens to fixate on one of the less popular rides. I remember when they had the hand-written cards, my son had one whole card with this same ride filling almost every line. Thankfully, now that he is older he understand basic concepts like time, so he will ride other things with us more and is okay with doing his favorites only once or twice per day.

If it works at Universal, why wouldn't it work at WDW?

1) Universal has a lot fewer guests than does Disney.
2) Plus, they started selling front-line passes a long time ago.
3) People are used to the system, and know there are limits on the number sold.
4) After years of free Fast Passes at WDW, charging fees would cause an uproar.
5) Plus, Uncle Walt would turn over in his grave when WDW makes a second or third class of guest.

5) Plus, Uncle Walt would turn over in his grave when WDW makes a second or third class of guest.

But they have fewer parks and attractions as well, so it wouldn't make that much of a difference, IMO.

So what if they have sold them for years? People can figure it out at WDW just like they do at Universal.

You can have the 3 free FP+ and still sell a different pass.

WDW already has classes of guest - onsite vs offsite, and those that can afford the special VIP tours, or get celebrity treatment. Guests at monorail resorts/EPCOT resorts who can walk to a park or have a short commute vs a value, etc.

So basically, it's just your opinion that it wouldn't work. And as a PP said, we already have second class guests. They're called off-site.

But they have fewer parks and attractions as well, so it wouldn't make that much of a difference, IMO.

So what if they have sold them for years? People can figure it out at WDW just like they do at Universal.

WDW already has classes of guest - onsite vs offsite, and those that can afford the special VIP tours, or get celebrity treatment. Guests at monorail resorts/EPCOT resorts who can walk to a park or have a short commute vs a value, etc.

Exactly. There's no reason it can't be done. And frankly, the bean counters at Disney are missing a huge money maker by not doing it.

I think you just answered your own question. They do offer a way to get FOTL access to whatever you want as many times as you want. It’s a personalized VIP tour. I believe they priced it at a point it’s sustainable, in that so few people feel it is worth the price it won’t affect the efficiency of FP.

So basically, it's just your opinion that it wouldn't work.

1) Maybe.
2) But, WDW discussed it MANY years ago (I know of talks in 2005), and did not try it out.
3) Far too many problems and back PR.
4) it might please a few, but upset a lot more.
5) Revenue counts, not opinions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter