For women that color their hair...

I've been going to the same person since I was 9. She also taught me how to swim when I was younger.

She charges me $75 for a cut, color, and style. I always tell her she's not charging enough so I tip really well (an extra $50)

I swim almost every day, so my hair is really dry from the pool chemicals, so I don't trust myself to even attempt to color my own hair. When J complains about my dry hair, I tell her she shouldn't have taught me to swim!

I just found a new stylist because it was $385 last time I had mine done and I nearly choked.

My new stylist is excellent and less than half the cost - it is around $175 for highlights, cut, and style.

I have a lot of long hair so it takes ~3 hrs in the chair. I only do full highlight and cut twice a year with a partial in between that's less expensive and time consuming. The 3 hr appt is killer on my rear end :laughing:

I have done all over color from a box at home but cannot do my own highlights.

I just found a new stylist because it was $385 last time I had mine done and I nearly choked.

My new stylist is excellent and less than half the cost - it is around $175 for highlights, cut, and style.

I have a lot of long hair so it takes ~3 hrs in the chair. I only do full highlight and cut twice a year with a partial in between that's less expensive and time consuming. The 3 hr appt is killer on my rear end :laughing:

I have done all over color from a box at home but cannot do my own highlights.

I had a similar experience. I tried a new salon and my bill was almost $400. Last time I went there!

Hi all,

Just curious what you pay to color your hair where you live and what you get done. I live in the NYC area and pay $160 for roots, toner, a blowout, and conditioning treatment. Some salons are cost well over $300 to $400 depending on what you get done. A gel manicure in my area cost about $30. Thought it would be interesting to see how it varies.

Happy Holidays!
I used to live outside NYC in Jersey and paid around $160, too. I moved to Orlando and now pay $220 for junior person to color my hair (highlights). I was shocked that it was more expensive down here. I have shopped around and $200 seems to be the norm. I could try a place like Superuts (I think they charge $80) but I have neck problems and the Aveda salon that I go to has a special reclining sink chair that keeps flare-ups to a minimum. I'm afraid to risk the neck pain somewhere else.

I did try the box thing for a few years but the color got really weird after I had kids and trying to do my own highlights is too hard. Glad to read that I'm not the only one that finds sitting in a chair for 3 hours grueling. I have long hair, so it takes awhile. DUe to my neck, I try to only go 3 times a year and do some quick highlights using Jolene facial bleach at home in between. I also get my hair cut at surpercuts (I have found one person there who is good) to cut down on the cost where I can.

I live North of Atlanta. To color by roots (which are practically white), highlights, cut and blow dry is $160. I went to a Supercuts before going where I go now and it was $150. Most places in my area start well over $200.

I just paid $260 (which included tip) for full foil blonde highlights, cut, and blow dry in a major city in Virginia. This is at my hairdresser’s house versus in the salon where she works, so I get a deal.

Someone mentioned doing hair in a college town. Guaranteed most of those girls’ parents pay for their expensive hair appointments. We did. Now that DD graduated and is on her own, she pays.

Cut, color, and blow dry is $110 plus tip. North Texas area.
That's a great price - maybe I'll have my hair done professionally next time I go visit my daughter in Texas :)

Just cut off all my hair myself the other day; I color and highlight it myself as well. I butchered the back this time, so thankfully my friend at work trimmed it up and made me promise never to cut t myself again, oops!

Root color, cut, blow dry probably about 150 ish (not including tip): about 12 miles south of Boston. Highlights would probably add another 100. The idea of saving so much and doing it on my own sounds lovely, but I had some bad experiences with that back in college and so I would not try a box again/ I’m traumatized.
I get dip on my nails and that is 45 plus tip. It lasts a full month though. I love it.

I had my color done at a salon ONCE and it was $150 for the color and cut (about ten years ago).
And it didn't look any different than when I did it myself at home. So I went back to the box. $8 about every two months.

Wow - your hairdressers are expensive! I get my roots bleached and then loads of foils with around 4 different purples and my hair trimmed, blow-dried and then GHD curls for the equivalent of around $85. I would also never dream of doing my own hair - far too complicated to do myself. I enjoy the three hours to myself in the salon.

Cut and color - $140 (Philadelphia suburbs)

Highlights, etc. are extra.

If I get a touch up only it's $65 (does not include blow dry). Blow dry is $30 extra. I usually skip the blow dry.

All prices are not including tip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter