Fort Wilderness was Awful

Status
Not open for further replies.
It saddens me to say this, but I did not enjoy my most recent visit to Fort Wilderness at all! My family and I have visited fairly regularly for the past 25 years or so. This last visit (Jan. 2023) had a very different "vibe". It felt crowded, loud, and generally unpleasant. In my Loop, many of the sites held very large numbers of people (Multiple families sharing sites/ way over the "10 per" limit, and 2 or 3 cars). The site behind me held 2 or 3 groups of friends/families that included 6 or 7 infants and toddlers who screamed every single night at 3,4, and 5 in the morning! The same group had older children that circled the loop on scooters well past 10pm singing at the TOP of their lungs in Spanish. (That's loads of fun when you're exhausted from the parks and just want to sleep). And then there were the dogs. I saw dogs roaming unleashed. I saw dogs "Tent camping". And worst of all, was the incessant BARKING of lots of different dogs. I went to sleep to the sound of nuisance barking every night; and woke up to the same barking/yipping each morning. None of the dog rules were followed or enforced. And it was mayhem. I did have a discussion with "someone from the Outpost" who is in a position to make changes. However, the situation at the fort has deteriorated to a point now that it will take a long time to correct all of the assorted misbehavior that has become the new norm. Many of the newer campers simply don't seem to understand the concept of following rules and the result of that sort of thinking has ruined the fort for many of us. I'm not going to fly across the country to be aggravated and saddened at Fort Wilderness anymore. It has completely lost its charm. THEY can have it...
So one experience is bad for you in the past 25 years and now that’s the new norm?? The fort is still great. You had a one off situation.

So one experience is bad for you in the past 25 years and now that’s the new norm?? The fort is still great. You had a one off situation.
I wish that were the case...but Fort Wilderness has been changing in a very negative way for about 10 years now! Management refuses to enforce any of the rules on the Website, and some people cannot seem to behave properly without the threat of a consequence. It's as simple as that.

I agree that this is a problem in general at campgrounds. Especially tent areas (although not exclusively), which is certainly more accessible from a financial standpoint especially if divided up among multiple families or groups. There is nothing wrong with taking advantage of being able to gather together for vacation, a weekend or whatever as a family or friends get together in this way…. what is unfortunate is that the increased popularity of camping and gathering like this is not accompanied by etiquette, respect and manners.

I know many people have examples of a downturn in common courtesy. Especially since Covid. I've seen lots of speculation about it being all the "new" campers that have joined the fun and not understanding "campground etiquette". That may be a part of it.
Maybe I'm oblivious to it or the Midwest is a little more courteous, but I haven't seen it anymore than I always have. Kids will be kids, running around and being oblivious to where they are. All the places I've been (over 50 nights) camping in 2022, I don't recall any animal issues or people behaving inappropriate or even loud talking, music, babies or cars. The biggest issue was the hoard of cars (4 trucks, 2 golf carts and 2 utility trailers) and people across from us one weekend at the Fort last January. There were quite a few people on the 2 sites. But they were well behaved and even invited us over for a beer one morning when they were all out cooking breakfast. They all cleared out by Monday morning and things were vacant until the next Friday.

1674671428656.png

Maybe I'm just lucky.

j

@Teamubr I have a problem with the way people park after they're in. Some of us need a little more maneuvering room especially with trees, trash cans, site markers and site decorations, Crowding cars at the front of the site causes a lot of fancy moving around when you don't bend in the middle.

I know many people have examples of a downturn in common courtesy. Especially since Covid. I've seen lots of speculation about it being all the "new" campers that have joined the fun and not understanding "campground etiquette". That may be a part of it.
Maybe I'm oblivious to it or the Midwest is a little more courteous, but I haven't seen it anymore than I always have. Kids will be kids, running around and being oblivious to where they are. All the places I've been (over 50 nights) camping in 2022, I don't recall any animal issues or people behaving inappropriate or even loud talking, music, babies or cars. The biggest issue was the hoard of cars (4 trucks, 2 golf carts and 2 utility trailers) and people across from us one weekend at the Fort last January. There were quite a few people on the 2 sites. But they were well behaved and even invited us over for a beer one morning when they were all out cooking breakfast. They all cleared out by Monday morning and things were vacant until the next Friday.

View attachment 734835

Maybe I'm just lucky.

j
Just curious if you took them up on their offer of a breakfast beer? :)

@Teamubr I have a problem with the way people park after they're in. Some of us need a little more maneuvering room especially with trees, trash cans, site markers and site decorations, Crowding cars at the front of the site causes a lot of fancy moving around when you don't bend in the middle.
You've seen my rig! I'm almost as bad as you. The 42ft 5er was even more of a challenge since the truck needed to swing around too. That's the good thing about the Fort. Unless it is completely packed, you can ask for a different site.
The roads in the loops weren't designed for today's rigs, but the edge of the road parking is a pain.

j

You've seen my rig! I'm almost as bad as you. The 42ft 5er was even more of a challenge since the truck needed to swing around too. That's the good thing about the Fort. Unless it is completely packed, you can ask for a different site.
The roads in the loops weren't designed for today's rigs, but the edge of the road parking is a pain.

j
I didn't know you could ask for another site. Hehe.. Oh well, live and learn. I've posted this before, but every time I look at the video I shake my head.
Our site was the one just in view to the left.

October Disney site 409 first view.jpg

I didn't know you could ask for another site. Hehe.. Oh well, live and learn. I've posted this before, but every time I look at the video I shake my head.

View attachment 734911

Oh I hear ya'll. ::yes::

When I pull my 18' pop-up in behind my SUV and try to back into my Preferred site, I remember that in 1971 when the Fort started, we were BIG back then.

But all those folks with longer rigs NOW can pay more $$$$ to stay in those YUGE 30' sites (and longer) in the more expensive loops. Isn't that right, fellas? :rotfl2:

Ed

PS - You guys are trying to get us too far off the original OP topic but it does become hard to back into campsites with folks parked too close to the road and not being available to move so we can back on in. Which is awful.

Oh I hear ya'll. ::yes::

When I pull my 18' pop-up in behind my SUV and try to back into my Preferred site, I remember that in 1971 when the Fort started, we were BIG back then.

But all those folks with longer rigs can pay more $$$$ to stay in those YUGE 30' sites (and longer) in the more expensive loops. Isn't that right, fellas? :rotfl2:

Ed

PS - You guys are trying to get us too far off the original OP topic but it does become hard to back into campsites with folks parked too close to the road and not being available to move so we can back on in.
We've asked to change sites before. Pulled in no issues but then we realized we couldn't put one of the tent ends out on our hybrid. That was defintely a no go. They told us to pick and empty site in the loop and let them know which one we chose. This was a trip in 2014. We picked a site right next to the comfort station, very convenient with 5 kids. Luckily it was a slow weekday.

Last edited:

View attachment 734911
Piece of cake. As long as you make one of the blow ups a curb feeler and the golf cart a hood ornament. :rotfl2:

And Ed was right on the 30ft Premium sites. This one is actually a Premium Meadow$ site now (1400 loop). In their defence, this was the day the Fort reopened after Irma. They only had about 6 loops open. I made it all fit though. We were in the trees on two sides and way off the back of the pad. That's all the further I could put the awning out. Even had just enogh room fro the golf cart in front of the truck.

20170921_183806-1612x907.jpg

20170921_183829-1612x907.jpg

j

Last edited:
I love the Fort, and we’ve stayed in both tent and preferred loops over the years. I haven’t had the exact same experiences OP has, but similar.

We are late starters; we sometimes don’t get “going” until almost noon time. And on non park days when I’ve done laundry, etc., we don’t get out until almost supper time. What I’ve experienced has been people blaring music at their sites. I’m all for music, but I’m not into most of the genre’s the usual suspects play. Give me some ole’ fashioned Hawaiian uke any day, I’m good, not so much rap. I’m 73, so that might be an influencer there lol. One can’t complain, really, as it’s in the middle of the day, but what irked me to no end was that the campers in that site left for the day, leaving that music playing for the general vicinity.

I’m thinking that the Fort, like the rest of Disney World, has experienced as many cut-backs in security as it has across other areas. I can say I’ve rarely seen security patrols, though I can’t speak for what goes on at night as I’m usually zonked out pretty early.

I hope that Disney doesn’t continue neglecting the Fort, as it’s been my gold standard of what a campground could be. But it’s only as good as the rules it enforces.

We’ve been at the fort in October the past two years- both stays for three weeks. October definitely is a very busy time at the campground: lots of activities and people! But both times ( and every other time for the past ten years) the Fort has remained nothing but magical to us.
Yes we’ve witnessed bad behavior, kids wild and unsupervised, an occasional dog barking for a very long time, and many babies( who can’t help but cry sometimes- that’s just what babies do).

But we’ve also witnessed the magic of the Fort: friendly campers, dogs having a blast at the dog park, kids that are having the best time of their lives, neighbors helping out neighbors, large (very large!) groups of campers all sitting around their campsites grilling and visiting- making memories that will last them forever, and most of all the amazing cast members who are always sure to wave and smile whenever we see them.

So maybe things have changed for the worse- I don’t know. I prefer to always look at the positives, of which there are so many. The Fort has given our family so many memories that will always be in our hearts- I hope we are blessed enough to have many more chances to make more of those memories ❤️

We frequently stay in Florida state parks, we dont have the same issues there as we do at the Fort because they actually enforce rules and will ask you to leave if you give them a hard time. Disney managements feckless policy of non confrontation is the proximate cause in my opinion. I am not saying we never encounter issues at other campgrounds but never to the extent that Disney has now.

Disney managements feckless policy of non confrontation is the proximate cause in my opinion. I am not saying we never encounter issues at other campgrounds but never to the extent that Disney has now.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Disney is afraid of negative reviews on social media. Rule breakers will complain on-line knowing Disney is LOATH to respond. Disney CAN and SHOULD claim the moral high ground in these situations.

Many businesses on-line (or via Trip Advisor or etc.) can respond to a guest's on-line/social postings. Disney could show some backbone and say "our rules are the rules are the rules and we enforce them for the benefit of the VAST MAJORITY of our guests". The rowdy minority should not be allowed to drive the narrative.

But to do so requires consistent leadership or at least a consistent leadership PHILOSOPHY. IMO if I were FW General Manager for Life I would enforce the rules as written. The legal system would provide a venue for redress and I would win hands-down via Florida law.

Disney needs to be on the bleeding edge of the social media angle of providing a "Magical Experience" for their guests rather than being invisible or, at best, leading from behind. This would drive customer loyalty and they could literally CHARGE WHATEVER THEY WANT TO because they mean what they say.

Bama Ed

^^^ THIS ^^^

Disney is afraid of negative reviews on social media. Rule breakers will complain on-line knowing Disney is LOATH to respond. Disney CAN and SHOULD claim the moral high ground in these situations.

Many businesses on-line (or via Trip Advisor or etc.) can respond to a guest's on-line/social postings. Disney could show some backbone and say "our rules are the rules are the rules and we enforce them for the benefit of the VAST MAJORITY of our guests". The rowdy minority should not be allowed to drive the narrative.

But to do so requires consistent leadership or at least a consistent leadership PHILOSOPHY. IMO if I were FW General Manager for Life I would enforce the rules as written. The legal system would provide a venue for redress and I would win hands-down via Florida law.

Disney needs to be on the bleeding edge of the social media angle of providing a "Magical Experience" for their guests rather than being invisible or, at best, leading from behind. This would drive customer loyalty and they could literally CHARGE WHATEVER THEY WANT TO because they mean what they say.

Bama Ed
Between this and the TE news, Ed is all fire and brimstone tonight.

Your time away brought you back fired up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter