• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fort Worth woman shot in her own home by police

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn't enough resources in this country to lab test every piece of evidence collected in criminal cases. There aren't even resources to lab test any pieces of evidence collected in many criminal cases.

Let's expend many hours of private citizens' time and countless funds to train jurors in threat/no threat training -- no matter if the jurors in question would pass the requisite physical tests necessary for police academy candidates to even begin basic law enforcement training.

Maybe if we can impose upon jurors' time just a bit more after their MiB fantasy adventure we can have them go over the basic and remedial protocols for officer response to dispatch call and scene approach similar to those in the case in question?
I am not saying this is something that should be paid for by the state but instead by the defendant.

If you have to impose a bit on the jurors to get perspective, so be it. That should be part of our criminal justice system.

I think it would be very useful for the jury members when it comes to trial time to participate in threat / no threat training to see how often they make a mistake.

Not everyone is Will Smith in Men In Black, able to discern that the little girl with the physics book is the only threat In a split second.
I actually don’t think it would be unless the jury is made up of all cops. POs are given more authority/power &, therefore, have a greater responsibility.

To get IN that situation there are some prerequisite steps that must be taken. Skipping them comes at a cost.
Never said there were not mistakes, deadly mistakes made.

But when presented with a few seconds to decide to kill, be killed, or wait it out, I have NO idea how I would react, and I would bet that the potential members of the jury also have NO idea how they would react.

Are police officers not IN situations in training that help them to adjust to situations like this? Would you defend a police officer if it was your relative that was in this situation?
Of course not, I would be much too close to the situation to be thinking rationally.

I am not saying this is something that should be paid for by the state but instead by the defendant.

If you have to impose a bit on the jurors to get perspective, so be it. That should be part of our criminal justice system.

A bit of an imposition? Do you think a jury panel is going to effectively understand the training you suggest in an afternoon?

More like a bit unrealistic in terms of your understanding what our criminal justice system really looks like and drives like where the rubber meets the road. Jury service is frequently a financial and logistical hardship on many who serve, particularly on those who serve on major criminal cases that span several weeks.

But when presented with a few seconds to decide to kill, be killed, or wait it out, I have NO idea how I would react, and I would bet that the potential members of the jury also have NO idea how they would react.

If proper protocol had been followed the officer would not have put himself in a situation to create the imaginary threat in the first place.

Have we reached the point in society where people can not hear or try to understand the why behind tragedies because it upsets them too much?

I think it's imperative to understand the why behind tragedies. I also happen to believe the way to do so is rationally, logically and methodically so as not to overlook anything. To do that it seems one must start at what is law enforcement supposed to do first upon arrival of the scene?
It's of no value to skip the predicates that reveal an officer ignored procedure and not only failed to observe and protect, but instead created a lethal situation.

I have yet to hear a different opinion from a single police officer discussing this case since yesterday -- and I have heard it out of the mouths of many.

9 out of 10 times, I will back the blue in situations. They have a hard job and most try to do it to the best of their ability.

I do NOT agree with posters that are implying that LEOs are someone to be afraid of because I do not believe they are 99.9% of the time.

BUT, with all that said, what did he have to react to exactly? She was standing in her bedroom. He said "show me your hands" and shot her all within 4 seconds.

I think it would be very useful for the jury members when it comes to trial time to participate in threat / no threat training to see how often they make a mistake.

Not everyone is Will Smith in Men In Black, able to discern that the little girl with the physics book is the only threat In a split second.
So, never mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter