Found old safe in my basement

Don't give up hope.....that new / old house that you're moving into may hold more lucrative treasures !!!! Have faith and pixie dust !

I had fun reading this post too.

Thanks for taking pictures.

My grandparents left a safe in their house. Nothing was in it. There was also a safe at my wifes job. Nothing was in there either. I think after the Depression, people didn't trust banks, so they bought these huge safes.

When we remodeled our house, we found an old corset in the wall. We laughed about that one. We wondered who put it there and said, "I'm never wearing this again." It actually had whale bones in it.

That thought did occur to me, too. I was thinking if there WERE millions of dollars in cash, gold or jewelry, the OP would be smart to come back and tell us, "Nothing to see here, folks. Move along..." :lmao:

Nah! She wouldn't even have come back. She'd be off with the OP from the neighbor thread. :rotfl:

Hey, wait a minute :idea: . . .did the OP of the neighbor thread ever say if she looked inside, what was in one of those white bags? What if they were filled with money & the OP actually ran off with a huge bag full! :scratchin She's probably sitting pretty in the Cayman Islands somewhere, (taxfree,) sipping a cocktail. :beach:

I haven't checked in for a couple of days because I thought the OP said earlier in the thread that she would update the title. Now I see from reading just this last page that something was found. Can someone direct me to the page/post where the OP figured it out?? Thank you.:)

It is still quite usable since it is on wheels. While I personally wouldn't bother with it anymore, as the adventure alone was priceless, one can take the back fully off. Grind down all the sharp edges & place it against the wall as a decorative "faux safe" with an opening in the back.
Who knows, if the OP is able to find the decendants of Clyde Knapp, they may still want the safe, as the letter was to him.
That is exactly what I was thinking. Hey OP, if you want to lug it down to GA, I'd pay you for it.

Last edited:
What a wonderful adventure to take us all on!! I am sorry you didn't find your pot of gold in the safe, but it was fun for me to travel with you on this journey!! Thanks for such an exciting and interesting thread!! :)

It is still quite usable since it is on wheels. While I personally wouldn't bother with it anymore, as the adventure alone was priceless, one can take the back fully off. Grind down all the sharp edges & place it against the wall as a decorative "faux safe" with an opening in the back.

Who knows, if the OP is able to find the decendants of Clyde Knapp, they may still want the safe, as the letter was to him.

Hey, I know a Knapp from Boston! I wonder...

OP - thanks for sharing!

What a great thrill.

And to the antiques people freaking out, I think we had already determined it wasn't worth much as an antique because of the condition.

Knowing this, I would have done the same thing.

And I love that letter. Thank you so much for showing this and taking us on this journey!

I was my pleasure to have such great people to share the adventure with. It made it all that more exciting!!!!

Thanks for reading :goodvibes

Wow-we were at Disney during the safe cracking and I couldn't wait to get back and figure out what had happened. I think finding the cool papers are way worth the fuss and clean up efforts. Good luck researching and trying to contact someone to pass along the information you found. Thanks so much for sharing with us!! :goodvibes

Looks like it has been awhile since you posted comments about your safe. I have one almose exactly like yours except mine has a double door and is in the unlocked possition. Therefore I can open mine. If you are still looking to get into that thing, Good luck. Mine is about 1 foot thick with (probibly steel reinforced) concrete. As far as the locking mechinisium, mine has (probibly hardened steel bars) that lock into place when you turn the latch. Also, if you were thinking of trying to get a saw blade slid through to try to cut these bars you can forget it. The inside of the door (like I said before) is about 1 foot thick and tapers like a stair case. Impossable!!! My guess is that your best chance to open it would be to go after the hinges. But, I'm trying to figure out what one of these things is worth. I can take some pictures for you if you would like. But if you do or have already gotten inside, I may be interested in some of the parts inside the lock because I belive mine is missing two or more of the brass rings inside the combination dial that are used to set a combination. Mine may be inside my safe but, like yours, it's in a tough spot right now which hinders me from opening one of the doors and like you well know, these things are not easy to move. My father was the one who moved this one and it took four big guys to push it and they had to lay plywood on the concrete for it to roll on so that it wouldn't crack the concrete. HEAVY!!! Email me direct at mertzr@msn

Safe Current Market Value as is:$0.00

The excitement, memories, and an incredible story to tell house guests: PRICELESS!

Thanks for the memory. (Even though, ya' broke my heart.:sad1: ):hug:

ok...The "new" safe thread reminded me of this one, and I had to come check it out. Any updates, OP???? Inquiring (nosy) minds want to know!!!

I could still use the brass rings (toumblers) inside the combo box. If you still have them, or if you are interested, please let me know. I'm still missing two for my safe and by the looks of the combo dial, your safe has the same mechanism as mine. Please tell me you still have them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter