FP TIER changes at DHS as of August 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t understand the point of putting them back to tier 1, do they think it will help because I don’t think it will.

My guess is that it's to make the masses believe that they are still getting something of value. "Can't get into Star Wars land? Darn it! All is not lost. We have all these OTHER Tier 1 Fast Pass Plus (tm) options for you instead!"

I sincerely hope that this is just a rumor or some glitch with the paid club level FPs.

The question is, if they had plans to do a reservation system, what would be the purpose of opening HS everyday at 6am (and closing it at 10pm)? At DLR, the crowds at the park were not meaningfully increased due to GE because of the reservation system. If people didn't have reservations for GE, they simply didn't go to the park (unless they were going to anyways).

But if this is the case, how are they going to limit the number of people in GE so that you aren't shoulder to shoulder with people? If they capped capacity, there would then be a line outside of GE, which I am sure they don't want.

The re-tiering makes sense even though it does suck. It's just kinda annoying being left in the dark with all of this when we have only a few weeks to go before FP+ reservations for non-CL start opening up. But re-tiering also points to them planning on not implementing a reservation system.

Last edited:
If this happens, I am sure Disney will offer a full refund to guests with tickets purchased before but dated after the change since this would have a major effect on the guest experience. /s

It already has happened, so no need for an "if". And yea, no, that seems more than a bit ridiculous to me. Disney isn't going to refund people's tickets for that. I don't even see any reason why. Is it a bummer? Sure, but not sure how it's a major effect on your experience. One or 2 less rides to get an advanced FP for in one park? Plus this is far from the first time they've restructured the tiering system.

I think the /s at the end of the first post indicates sarcasm and that @Nuclear Monkey was just being facetious...Disney has no plans to offer full refunds...at least that's how I read it. :)

Not really at all and I hope everyone does your suggestion. You will not get in to Epcot until 1 hour after HS is open (3 hours if staying on site). You will completely miss out on Star Wars guaranteed except possibly catching one during a refresh. Your "4th FP+" actually becomes your 1st HS FP of the day.

Sure, if you want to go to SW:GE, don't have DHS as the hop-to park. I thought that was obvious since there are no FP for SW:GE.

Instead you just want to book 2 early Tier 2 attractions that you can scan and skip. Then you are on to your 4th FP+ as soon as your Tier 1 ends.

Theoretically that sounds good, but letting two expire almost never works (in practice). At least one will stick around and need to be cancelled, even after it has expired. I've tried this MANY times.

Tapping two out will work. But that requires FP sorcery or your first tier-2 will be 2+ hours after the park opens (modifying FP #2 and #3 can address the timing, but you are still relying on the FP pool and is not that different from pre-booking zero FP).

Depending how early they open up Star Wars Fast Pass reservations in the day I would expect to be on to booking my 4th one right after I ride that. I can book all the way out to 60+9 so shouldn't have an issue grabbing something early on one of those days (if it is even needed during the EEMH).

If you are going in 2019, I would not plan on SW:GE FPs.

Instead you just want to book 2 early Tier 2 attractions that you can scan and skip. Then you are on to your 4th FP+ as soon as your Tier 1 ends. Depending how early they open up Star Wars Fast Pass reservations in the day I would expect to be on to booking my 4th one right after I ride that. I can book all the way out to 60+9 so shouldn't have an issue grabbing something early on one of those days (if it is even needed during the EEMH).

I’ve never actually had to do this, but I think we will have to on our September trip. I’m curious, does anyone say anything if you scan and then walk away? I mean, I guess you could just stand in line for a minute then nonchalantly leave.
I realize scanning and skipping would be the fastest way to get into your 4th, but can you also let the time lapse? (i.e. just never show up and move on to the 4th when the window expires)

I’m curious, does anyone say anything if you scan and then walk away? I mean, I guess you could just stand in line for a minute then nonchalantly leave.

No, not at all. Watch the FP entrance of Living with the Land long enough (for example) and you’ll inevitably see it with relative frequency.

Why they are opening the 3rd aren't they? I will be at 60+9 there is no way its fully booked that specific day that far out.

SW:GE will not have FP for the foreseeable future. Standby only. They announced this when they announced the opening. (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/fast-pass-plus/star-wars-galaxys-edge-fastpass/)

I wouldn't expect FP until sometime in 2020. (If even then. And I wouldn't be surprised if they offer them at an additional cost.)

No, not at all. Watch the FP entrance of Living with the Land long enough (for example) and you’ll inevitably see it with relative frequency.

I've had numerous "helpful" CMs try and help me modify instead of tapping out. The most "helpful" CMs have been at DAK when they cannot fathom why I would use a FP at 9am for meeting Mickey and Minnie. ;-)

Tapping two out will work. But that requires FP sorcery or your first tier-2 will be 2+ hours after the park opens (modifying FP #2 and #3 can address the timing, but you are still relying on the FP pool and is not that different from pre-booking zero FP).

Except it is different, you already had a tier 1 ride and you will be able to book them earlier in the day.

As an example I enter the park without EEMH and hit my tier 1 at like 8:10 and start refreshing. Flip side I go to Epcot don't get to my tier 1 until 9:10, now I have to try and find a FP for a Tier 2, plus a 30 min trip to HS which means I get to HS at 9:40 or almost 2 hours after rope drop.

I suppose you could double tap in Epcott but you already missed the best nonFP ride window of the day as likely at rope drop 90% of people go for Star Wars (we will see though).

While it's not an option I'd use for TSL rides, it is an option some can use. There are other choices as well- park hopping 1/2 days will do it too. The thing is, it is what it is and we can either figure out a way to make it work or not. It's only recently they dropped the tier for TOT and RRC. This is just going back to it and most likely will change once SWGE is sorted out. No one likes tiering, but I don't see how else they handle the huge increase in crowds that is coming.
I agree, it is an option for a limited amount of morning people and I’m happy those people will be able to take advantage of it.
Those of us that had trips planned before GE was announced will just be the Guinea pigs to sort it out.
I’m not trying to be rude towards your comment, I realize that you are just trying to look at the bright side of things but eveytime I think disney is done throwing a wrench into this trip they manage to do something else to screw it up.

I agree, it is an option for a limited amount of morning people and I’m happy those people will be able to take advantage of it.
Those of us that had trips planned before GE was announced will just be the Guinea pigs to sort it out.
I’m not trying to be rude towards your comment, I realize that you are just trying to look at the bright side of things but eveytime I think disney is done throwing a wrench into this trip they manage to do something else to screw it up.

I get being frustrated if your trip was planned before the announcement of SWGE. That will completely change the conditions in every park I think. We knew up front what we were dealing with when we booked and that they'd most likely be making lots of changes. However temporary they are, it doesn't matter when the time frame is your vacation.

That might be a possibility. But they are still charging these CL guests $50 a day for this privilege per person on top of the higher room cost that club level brings. They can’t charge them and then disadvantage them.

I don’t see it as disadvantaged. I see they are still gaining on other guests by getting an additional top attraction on top of the first three. Then they don’t have to use any of first three on “shows” meaning more top attractions.

Last edited:
I’ll have to give this some thought before I have to make FPs for a trip in late October. But my first thought is to skip getting FPs at DHS altogether and plan on two early days at DHS: one to see GE and hopefully get on the Falcon ride, and a second to ride all of our favorites that we don’t get to the first day. If we do get in to GE at 6 AM I would expect to be able to do one or two other rides before leaving for another park.

DAK and MK now become the prime parks for FPs.

I’ll also be watching for some kind of after hours event at DHS that we could use to do our favorite attractions there.

Just the latest adjustment to touring approaches, and it won’t be the last as other attractions are added in the next couple of years.

I'm one of those that planned our trip way before the announcement of Star wars hoping for that normal September with low crowds and humidity that you almost die in. When it was first announced I really did consider canceling my trip but then thought okay we can do this. We can just rope drop like we normally do no problem we got this. Then, extra extra magic hours. So will everybody in our party want to get up at 4:30 to still be able to take advantage of rope drop? I don't know. Change the game plan and continuing on planning the trip. Now the other shoe drops. Going to Hollywood studios means picking only one ride that we really care to ride and hoping we can book 2 of the tier 2 rides or shows and then look for some fast passes for other rides in tier 1 that we really want to ride. We are a party of 9 so this is going to be really difficult.
We love Disney, been 10 times since 2006. I've always enjoyed planning these trips but honestly this time, it's been awful. I'm sure we'll have a great time, I'm sure it'll all be just fine but wow the changes.

I dont’ understand why WDW can’t do a similar Rez system like DL. I understand there are many more resort rooms, but they can slightly modify and only allow reservations for Disney resort guests only. I’m sure that would make the land much easier to spread out resort guests over the span of 16hrs vs a 3hr EEMH. I know this idea kinda excludes offsite guests access to GE but woudlnt’ that kinda be the best way for Disney do do this? How many people per 4hr block is Disney allowing at DL? If you take the 30k rooms at WDW and say assume 1/3rd will go to HS, that’s about 1,2k guest per block?

I dont’ understand why WDW can’t do a similar Rez system like DL. I understand there are many more resort rooms, but they can slightly modify and only allow reservations for Disney resort guests only. I’m sure that would make the land much easier to spread out resort guests over the span of 16hrs vs a 3hr EEMH. I know this idea kinda excludes offsite guests access to GE but woudlnt’ that kinda be the best way for Disney do do this? How many people per 4hr block is Disney allowing at DL? If you take the 30k rooms at WDW and say assume 1/3rd will go to HS, that’s about 1,2k guest per block?

If you’re kinda staying onsite, sure. Also pretty poor optics.

I think the "benefit" to onsite guests is the EEMHs. Then for the rest of the day they do a reservation only system just like Disneyland is doing open to everyone. They do the sign up where everyone gets online at the same time and signs up for a time slot. That way they eliminate people lining up for hours, severe capacity problems and everyone gets to enjoy the land without it being shoulder to shoulder. I think that would be best. The problem with the virtual queue is that you still have to get there super early and then potentially be stuck hanging around all day waiting for your time and who knows how long it will take if people don't have a limited time in the land. I would much rather just show up for my scheduled time and know I will be able to get in.

Not sure if optics will matter giving preferred treatmeant to On-site guests.

Onsite guests already have perks that offsite doesn’t get, like 60day FPP, EMH, access during phased closures.

I’m sorry off-site family, but this brand-new section of the park is completely off-limits to you, even though you paid as much for park tickets (or more) as them to be here. When (if) you can afford to come back in a few years, we will gladly welcome you then.

That’s a whole new level of low, and goes a bit beyond the existing preferred treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter