• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FP TIER changes at DHS as of August 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are not earlier risers, if we won’t just ditch Hollywood studios all together, I will do the 2 throwaway tier 2 fastpasses for 9:00 & 10:00 and the 1 I will actually use at 11:00

I, too am thinking about getting a 9 am tier 1 and a second (a tier 2) at say, 10:15 or so then after tapping the tier 1 add another 9:something. After tapping that, move the 10:20 up. Then I’m free to get other tier 1s. Does this sound like the best strategy? Which tier 1 would you go for first? I really only want ToT but it’s not all about me. My DH and SIL will probably want SDD and I’m sure TSMM. I plan to take advantage on the EEMH to see SWGE and then possibly move to either the ToT/RnRC area or TSL before 9:00. I hope to be done with the majority of the park by 12:00. 1:00. Come back for dinner and the evening events.
ETA: if this does morning fit the guidelines of the thread can you provide a link to the other related to the new fp strategy for DHS? I looked but it doesn’t fall under the SWGE topic. Thanks!

It’s smart to book that tier 2 at 10:15 rather than 10:00. Although, if it were me, I might move that 10:15 a little later. Maybe 10:30 or so. The extra 15 minutes may not sound like much, but if the earliest you can find is, for example, a 9:20 tier 2 after tapping in for your SDD it wouldn’t work because that 10:15 would be blocking it.

ETA: I just checked current FP availability for some of the various shows in HS. Because they are shows, and not rides, the available FP times are spread a bit more than usual. You wouldn't be offered FP times every 5 minutes like many of the rides in other parks.

In using your example above, if you prebook a tier 2 at 10:15, your ONLY option to book another tier 2 after tapping in for SDD (and at a time that preceded the prebooked 10:15 tier 2) would be Voyage of the Little Mermaid at 9:10. The next opportunity to book an early FP would be Disney Junior Dance party at 9:20 as it seems this is the earliest available FP time for DJDanceParty. (I checked multiple dates between tomorrow and mid August and 9:20 was the earliest each time.) I would definitely book that tier 2 burner for no earlier than 10:30. And the Little Mermaid/Disney Jr. Dance Party is a great combo, geographically speaking, for tapping out tier 2’s after exiting Toy Story Land. I should mention that Star Tours does technically offer FPs every 5 minutes beginning at 9:00 am, but I omitted this ride from my considerations because I feel its FP availability will be verify limited after August 29th as it will probably become the most desirable tier 2.

Also, I think ToT FP will be easier to get same-day after the new tiering structure goes into effect.

It’s smart to book that tier 2 at 10:15 rather than 10:00. Although, if it were me, I might move that 10:15 a little later. Maybe 10:30 or so. The extra 15 minutes may not sound like much, but if the earliest you can find is, for example, a 9:20 tier 2 after tapping in for your SDD it wouldn’t work because that 10:15 would be blocking it.

ETA: I just checked current FP availability for some of the various shows in HS. Because they are shows, and not rides, the available FP times are spread a bit more than usual. You wouldn't be offered FP times every 5 minutes like many of the rides in other parks.

In using your example above, if you prebook a tier 2 at 10:15, your ONLY option to book another tier 2 after tapping in for SDD (and at a time that preceded the prebooked 10:15 tier 2) would be Voyage of the Little Mermaid at 9:10. The next opportunity to book an early FP would be Disney Junior Dance party at 9:20 as it seems this is the earliest available FP time for DJDanceParty. (I checked multiple dates between tomorrow and mid August and 9:20 was the earliest each time.) I would definitely book that tier 2 burner for no earlier than 10:30. And the Little Mermaid/Disney Jr. Dance Party is a great combo, geographically speaking, for tapping out tier 2’s after exiting Toy Story Land. I should mention that Star Tours does technically offer FPs every 5 minutes beginning at 9:00 am, but I omitted this ride from my considerations because I feel its FP availability will be verify limited after August 29th as it will probably become the most desirable tier 2.

Also, I think ToT FP will be easier to get same-day after the new tiering structure goes into effect.
They would be modifying the 10:15 so it won't block anything.

ETA oops, misread their strategy...I would be modifying the 2nd, not the 3rd.

We are not earlier risers, if we won’t just ditch Hollywood studios all together, I will do the 2 throwaway tier 2 fastpasses for 9:00 & 10:00 and the 1 I will actually use at 11:00
Just hope that they fall off....they don't always do so. If they don't then just make and use/burn tier 2's after using the 11:00 FP.

They would be modifying the 10:15 so it won't block anything.
Maybe I misunderstood. My impression was that OP would
1. Prebook a tier 1 at 9:00am and a tier 2 at 10:15.

2. Tap in for the 9:00am and immediately try to book another tier 2 that precedes the prebooked FP at 10:15.

3. Go and tap in for the newly-booked ~9:15 FP, then go on to the prebooked 10:15.

ETA: OP would effectively be clearing all 3 FP by as early as 10:15. I cautioned against prebooking the tier 2 at 10:15 due to the nature of tier 2 attractions in HS. Many of them don’t offer FP times in 5 minute increments. So OP might find themslelf in a pinch when trying to find a FP that would have to fit sort of like a puzzle piece between 9:00 and 10:15. And that’s assuming they tap in to their tier 1 right at 9:00 and immediate begin refreshing.

It’s like you say, the least stressful plan would be to modify that 10:15 tier 2 after tapping in for SDD. Then, after tapping in for the newly modified tier 2, immediately book the next earliest tier 2 available for the third FP of the day.

Last edited:
Maybe I misunderstood. My impression was that OP would
1. Prebook a tier 1 at 9:00am and a tier 2 at 10:15.

2. Tap in for the 9:00am and immediately try to book another tier 2 that precedes the prebooked FP at 10:15.

3. Go and tap in for the newly-booked ~9:15 FP, then go on to the prebooked 10:15.
Yeah, I misread. I don't see the point in keeping #2 and modifying #3 and had just figured they would be modifying #2.

Exactly. I rarely wait an hour between FP's ever but especially in a tiered park to start the day. Get those Tier 2's out of the way asap. You can still make the 3 FP's if you want (I often will do this because there's nothing to lose doing so and you never know when Disney IT will screw everything up) but then once you tap the 1st FP look to modify the 2nd FP to an earlier time.
Makes sense, thank you!

Just hope that they fall off....they don't always do so. If they don't then just make and use/burn tier 2's after using the 11:00 FP.
I didn’t know that. Thank you. I just assumed if you booked them, they would be considered used after the time was up. I guess I will “just” have to waste another 2 hours waiting for the next 2 to burn if the first 2 don’t fall off. At that point it would be 2:00pm and everything worth getting will be gone. Absolutely ridiculous.

I didn’t know that. Thank you. I just assumed if you booked them, they would be considered used after the time was up. I guess I will “just” have to waste another 2 hours waiting for the next 2 to burn if the first 2 don’t fall off. At that point it would be 2:00pm and everything worth getting will be gone. Absolutely ridiculous.

If they don't fall off just use your tier 1, then add an easy to get FP for an immediate time and tap it, then do that again. No need to wait an additional couple of hours (and no guarantee that those 2 will fall off either).

If they don't fall off just use your tier 1, then add an easy to get FP for an immediate time and tap it, then do that again. No need to wait an additional couple of hours (and no guarantee that those 2 will fall off either).
Thank you. I appreciate your help. The whole thing seems just like a colossal waste of time. Disney has to know that virtually no one will be using the two tier 2 fast passes. Hopefully they will fix it so we aren’t forced to waste time and scan the 2 useless ones.

I bought tickets for the MK after hours for Thursday the 5th and had planned on just doing a pool/shopping day so we wouldn’t be exhausted that night. Our Hollywood studio day is currently planned for Monday the 2nd, I may just skip going there on the 2nd and do our 1 fastpass at HS before we head to the magic kingdom on Thursday night. That would give us time to shoot over to universal for the day on Monday.
I don’t even know at this point. I hate having to move things around this late. I feel like I wasted hours planning out our days just to move everything around.

Wow. That is really bad. We are just back and loved getting SDD, RnR, and ToT fastpassses for our day there. Would not be fun if we could only get one of them- though it could make additional fastpasses for the major rides easier to get.

We have a September trip and are primarily skipping the parks, but I considered doing a day at HS. I think we may have to hold off on HS if this is the fastpass plan.

My new HS touring strategy will be SDD at 9AM, once I tap that add Muppets immediately, go tap that, add little Mermaid, go tap that, then start adding tier 1 rides the rest of the morning.
I'm curious... what do you mean by ''tap''? do you mean book a FP for that ride/attraction on the app or just go to that attraction? Thanks

I'm curious... what do you mean by ''tap''? do you mean book a FP for that ride/attraction on the app or just go to that attraction? Thanks

Tap just means tapping your MB at the ride. It could be to actually use the FP or to burn it when trying to get through the tier two FP's.

The standby lines may not actually be as bad as you'd think, since it's a pretty proven fact that with less FP, the standby line moves faster. With the way they're supposedly changing things, the FP selections will be spread out. But I think its likely we won't really notice a difference because the park will be really crowded either way.
I think you're wrong there, there will still be the same number of fast passes (has there been info that there will be less fastpasses released?), plus there will be more people in the park waiting on standby due the long lines and congestion in SWGE.

I remember those days without fastpasses and NO wait times posted either. You just got in line for the rides you wanted to ride with no idea how long it would take. And you didn't know how long the line was until you walked up! It didn't seem to bother me then. Also, we didn't have phones or cool displays to occupy our time while we waited! Ha!
Yes, but Disney created the planning frenzy, not the guests. I also enjoyed the times where you just walked up to the kiosk and got the fastpass and came back later. I hated fastpass plus but I got used to it. We aren't going back in time here, you will still have the fastpass lines, and extra long standby lines due to the crowds created by SWGE. I'm happy I'm a park hopper today. :)

This thread is about discussion and planning strategies related to pending FP tier changes at Disney's Hollywood Studios effective 8/29.

Posts on any other topic will be deleted.

There are plenty of other places around the DIS for discussion of a SWGE reservation system, paid FPs, and the fairness of onsite vs offsite perks.

This is the third request to remain on topic.

Thank you.

I think some of the panic may be premature
Just a thought but with all the rides as a tier 1 and most guests still trying fur SDD I wonder if you'll be surprised to find quite a few of the older rides there for your 4th, and more, FP. Much in the same way that TSMM has been there since TSL opened. So yeah it's not ideal I'm not sure it's the end of the world and makes HS visits pointless

Any word if/when the tier system will go back to the way it was? I have relatives going in October (I’m sure it won’t be back by then) and I may be going in August of 2020 (almost a year after SWGE opens).

I think some of the panic may be premature
Just a thought but with all the rides as a tier 1 and most guests still trying fur SDD I wonder if you'll be surprised to find quite a few of the older rides there for your 4th, and more, FP. Much in the same way that TSMM has been there since TSL opened. So yeah it's not ideal I'm not sure it's the end of the world and makes HS visits pointless

It seemed like TSMM gained an ease in availability in part because of the addition of the 3rd track. There may be more availability for Tier 1 selection for a first ride but it will change the dynamic of those who used the FP system to start their day later. Now it will be a choice of one of the E ticket rides plus Star Tours or shows. That changes reduces benefit that existed with FP+ vs the old paper system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter