Free dining in the fall?

Will you take advantage of free dining this year?

• Yes

Votes: 68 68.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm already planning my trip for 2021. And have no expectation of getting free dining. It'll be a thing of the past by then. Do you think they'll even be offering kind of room discount by then? It wouldn't surprise me if that went bye bye, too.

To be clear, my booking date had nothing to do with free dining. I booked when I did because I always book nearly a year in advance, and I had every intention of keeping the existing reservation regardless of whether or not there was a free dining offer.

Ok, so then no your reservation is not what we're talking about. Booking and hoping something comes out for your dates with the intention of not keeping the reservation if it doesn't is different. We're talking specifically about people who book rooms during the historic offering periods with the intention of only keeping the reservation if free dining is offered. When this is done, occupancy is raised and what happened today is the fall out from that.

The vets have been saying this for at least the past 2 years. The Free Dining Defenders think that's completely false. Welcome to this side of sanity.
Everyone likes free dining, it can save you money, who doesn't like "free" Ohana, but for some reason people think Disney owes them that promotion, and now that it is being majorly scaled back, they are all upset about it.
This is a business, and they don't owe the consumer anything.

They are the ones overbooking and booking two and three reservations to try to make sure they get the promotion, which is one of the reasons it is being scaled back to begin with. Annoying. :rolleyes1

Ok, so then no your reservation is not what we're talking about. Booking and hoping something comes out for your dates with the intention of not keeping the reservation if it doesn't is different. We're talking specifically about people who book rooms during the historic offering periods with the intention of only keeping the reservation if free dining is offered. When this is done, occupancy is raised and what happened today is the fall out from that.

Uggghhhh...it's too early in the week for my "protect yourself by NOT buying " diatribe, isn't it?

I'm already planning my trip for 2021. And have no expectation of getting free dining. It'll be a thing of the past by then. Do you think they'll even be offering kind of room discount by then? It wouldn't surprise me if that went bye bye, too.
If you travel in early September, you can feel pretty confidant that there will be some sort of discount. Free dining may be on its way out, but there were a ton of Travel Agent deals available for September that helped fill those rooms long before FD was released. Honestly, I think that early Sept will become a ghost town again if there are no discounts. There are too few people out there who would travel to Orlando that time of the year without some incentive.

The amazing thing is that these rooms appear to be sold out for most dates even at rack rate right now. When trying to book a week in September you typically see availability at every resort, even on the day that FD is released. That just isn't the case right now. So it isn't just that thy limited the offer to a few rooms - it appears that there were very few rooms available to start with today.

Now we wait to see if that changes because people are unhappy with their price point and cancel.

I think the construction at the Mod resorts is part of it though. My personal opinion is that Mod resorts with full FD is the big draw. CSR normally has 2000+ rooms, but with 1 building torn down and 1-2 out of inventory it's pretty much off the books right now. Factor in the convention crowd and you can't get a room there at all right now it seems. POFQ is rarely included and the construction at CBR is an issue. The handful of rooms at POR got scooped up and we're done.

When I punch in dates that I would consider in December there is still lots of Deluxe and Value availibilty.

Now is the time for Disney to make this move as they have half the Mod rooms to fill this year anyway. I'm more curious to see what next year brings.

I picked the time of booking because it's what is supposed to be the least crowded times of the year. Unfortunately, it appears that those times are in the past. Oh well, at least I will get the thursday and friday before my trip off.

Everyone likes free dining, it can save you money, who doesn't like "free" Ohana, but for some reason people think Disney owes them that promotion, and now that it is being majorly scaled back, they are all upset about it.
This is a business, and they don't owe the consumer anything.

They are the ones overbooking and booking two and three reservations to try to make sure they get the promotion, which is one of the reasons it is being scaled back to begin with. Annoying. :rolleyes1

Exactly. When you say "they don't owe the consumer" anything, let's just keep perspective on that. They owe the consumer a one of a kind experience priced fairly. They don't owe anything in terms of discounts, but they do owe a fair market value to their consumer base, not these inflated hotel costs which are them marketed as a "deal" with "free" dining. Sure, you paid $500/night for a hotel room that should be priced around $300/night, but hey, you get to eat "free", right?

If you travel in early September, you can feel pretty confidant that there will be some sort of discount. Free dining may be on its way out, but there were a ton of Travel Agent deals available for September that helped fill those rooms long before FD was released. Honestly, I think that early Sept will become a ghost town again if there are no discounts. There are too few people out there who would travel to Orlando that time of the year without some incentive.

Nah, we already know it's going to be Jan-Feb of 2021. My DW doesn't "do" hot and muggy. And FL in September is definitely hot and muggy. I mean, I'm still hoping there will be some kind of discount then but I'm not expecting it.

Exactly. When you say "they don't owe the consumer" anything, let's just keep perspective on that. They owe the consumer a one of a kind experience priced fairly. They don't owe anything in terms of discounts, but they do owe a fair market value to their consumer base, not these inflated hotel costs which are them marketed as a "deal" with "free" dining. Sure, you paid $500/night for a hotel room that should be priced around $300/night, but hey, you get to eat "free", right?

...daaaah!

Well, if you have 5 people that qualify as "Disney Dining Adults" - "free dining" is valued at $346.75/night for you - so $146.75 more than the overcharge on the room in your scenario ... so it *can* work out ....

... but in general I agree with your point and nothing is really "free"

Well, if you have 5 people that qualify as "Disney Dining Adults" - "free dining" is valued at $346.75/night for you - so $146.75 more than the overcharge on the room in your scenario ... so it *can* work out ....

... but in general I agree with your point and nothing is really "free"

Yeah, you get the point. I mean, sure, you "save" $146.75, but if food wasn't priced through the roof for "free dining" then this would be a non-issue.

My husband and I are eating at STK Orlando next month. A 2 person steak is $128.00.

REALLY?!

So, yeah, you're not really "saving" anything.

Yeah, you get the point. I mean, sure, you "save" $146.75, but if food wasn't priced through the roof for "free dining" then this would be a non-issue.

My husband and I are eating at STK Orlando next month. A 2 person steak is $128.00.

REALLY?!

definitely get the point - and fully agree.

Do think that paying higher than you should for food is kind or part of the deal with Disney (and really any entertainment location - I mean, hot dogs at Yankee stadium are a lot higher than they should be) Just saying that if you are planning to go to Disney there are scenarios where the math can work for you in getting free dining vs paying for food and another discount on the room

there are lots of ways to do things and every situation is different so it isn't "you are totally wrong to try to get free dining" and it isn't "Free dining is so amazing and totally free and did I mention FREE!!!!"

definitely get the point - and fully agree.

Do think that paying higher than you should for food is kind or part of the deal with Disney (and really any entertainment location - I mean, hot dogs at Yankee stadium are a lot higher than they should be) Just saying that if you are planning to go to Disney there are scenarios where the math can work for you in getting free dining vs paying for food and another discount on the room

there are lots of ways to do things and every situation is different so it isn't "you are totally wrong to try to get free dining" and it isn't "Free dining is so amazing and totally free and did I mention FREE!!!!"

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate on the Free Dining Defenders because I totally understand. You have to eat. You have to sleep. These are things you can't get around paying for. If Disney gives it to you a little cheaper and feels like they want to market it for "free" then so be it, but don't devalue the meals because they're "free". That's what aggravates me. People who say, "we had a bad meal, but who cares, because it was free".

So excited. Everything is coming together. Got free quick service dining with table service upgrade. Moved from CBR to Pop saving over $630. Going to 2 MNSSHPs on Sept 29, Oct 1. All dining booked, trying to change time for one. Going to celebrate Epcots 35th Birthday and MKs 46.
Going on my 6 WDW vacation and 3rd solo.
Im going Sept 28- Oct 4

REALLY?!

If I had wings I could fly. This isn't unique to Disney so don't blame it on free dining. Go to any theme park. They may not serve steaks but how much is a burger going to cost you? How about a ballpark? How much is a beer and a hot dog going to cost you? Disney doesn't have a monopoly on the price gouging market. So, if I can save $146.75 I'll take it. Do I wish prices were lower? Sure I do. Do I wish I was a millionaire? Sure I do. Are they going to keep charging their prices until people stop going? Heck yeah they are, that's just good business. Whine and complain about the prices all you want. Don't like it, don't go. Seems pretty simple to me.

Last edited:
So excited. Everything is coming together. Got free quick service dining with table service upgrade. Moved from CBR to Pop saving over $630. Going to 2 MNSSHPs on Sept 29, Oct 1. All dining booked, trying to change time for one. Going to celebrate Epcots 35th Birthday and MKs 46.
Going on my 6 WDW vacation and 3rd solo.
Im going Sept 28- Oct 4

That's great - and definitely working the promotion to your advantage

If I had wings I could fly. This isn't unique to Disney so don't blame it on free dining. Go to any theme park. They may not serve steaks but how much is a burger going to cost you? How about a ballpark? How much is a beer and a hot dog going to cost you? Disney doesn't have a monopoly on the price gouging market. So, if I can save $146.75 I'll take it. Do I wish prices were lower? Sure I do. Do I wish I was a millionaire? Sure I do. Are they going to keep charging their prices until people stop going? Heck yeah they are, that's just good business. Whine and complain about the prices all you want. Don't like it, don't go. Seems pretty simple to me.

I love the attitude "don't like it, don't go". So because I don't like something I shouldn't voice my opinion? I mean, is that how this country was founded? People didn't like the taxation without representation, so they "just didn't go?" Absolutely not. And I refuse to sit down and go idly by. I am a DVC owner, I am a shareholder, I am loyal fan base so when I don't like something I am going to voice it all I want. I just refuse to be disillusioned.

And I'm still going to go. Probably.

I sincerely wonder, what will you all do when Disney stops offering "free" dining. Are you all not going to go? Doubt it.

I don't understand how you "save" on anything that's overpriced to begin with.

We have TiW. It "saves" us 20% off our bill. But in reality, no it doesn't it just pays our tip for us on the steak we just paid $128.00 for. And I paid $100 for the privilege. However, we eat enough overpriced meals at Disney every year that this actually works out for us that we don't have to tip on inflated prices.

But I'm a sucker for Disney and Disney restaurants and AMEX knows it and they love me for it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter