From Disneyland to Legoland...will there be disappointment?

We went to Legoland this past June for the first time. It's not as amazing as Disneyland, but my 5 year old really likes it. If you go, try to stay at the legoland hotel for a night. It makes the trip more exciting.

My brother and his wife did this with their boys. They said they wish they had did it at the beginning because the boys might have enjoyed it (they were 3 and 7 at the time). They were tired from 4 days at Disney and it just isn't as cool as Disney and it was just a disaster.

My kids are 3 and 6, they love Legoland. We went for 3 days this year and 2 days last year (the waterpark as well), and they STILL ask to go back. DH and I are a little sick of it though. The rides aren't as immersive as Disney and many of them are slow loading. We went one year on a weekend and said never again. This year, we went on weekdays the first week of June, before most schools are out, and the wait times weren't bad. We stayed one night at the Legoland Hotel and it was very cute.

At 6 years old, I think your kids will really like it. You, on the other hand, might be underwhelmed. Just have realistic expectations. :) It's not Disney, more like a local theme park, but slightly better.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately we have to do it on the tail-end of our trip (well don't have to but am trying to avoid Spring Break crowds at DL). We will be at DL March 1-5 and then could do LL March 6-8 (one day only). I don't want to chance DL being busier that second week in March. I appreciate all your input. I think I'll maybe give them the choice...legoland or $ for legos in Downtown Disney.

We just did Disney then Legoland with a 2 yr, 4 yr, and 10 yr old and they all enjoyed it. The rides are not as fast and it is definitly more low key. Which after disney was nice. We rarely stood in line and it was sort of a break from all the prior craziness. We also stayed at the legoland hotel which was very well designed for families with kids and had activies every night after the park closed (it does close early, around 6 or 7 depending on day I believe). But, it is definitely a quieter experience.

Our big difficulty was getting between the two places without our own car -_-

When my kids were 7, we went to Legoland after our first visit to Disneyland. They actually preferred Legoland to Disneyland at that age because it was quieter and less overwhelming. We had a blast at Legoland. If you have the type of kids that can have fun anywhere, then you and they will enjoy this park. If they are thrill-seekers, then maybe not.

I think it's good for younger kids. But as an adult, I think my husband captured it pretty accurately when he said, "it feels like we were at a broadway production and now we're a high school show." It's just really can't compare. We're going back for my son's 6th birthday, but we're going to do it first this time.

How far is Legoland from Disneyland, an hour? I was thinking of going to LEGOLAND in December and wondered if there are any Christmas decorations in the park either real or lego-made. Does anyone know when those might be put up (if there are such things). I went to LL once and it was something different to see, absolutely no comparison to DL which I love :) I think young kids would enjoy and totally agree with others that it should be visited ideally before a DL trip or maybe on a break day. Like if you are planning to have a longer trip that includes two non Disney days maybe the first day drive to LEGOLAND and go there and then the next day come back to DL for a quieter non resort day before going back to the parks the next day.

My family and I love Legos, but found Legoland to be a real disappointment. And I'm not just talking in comparison to Disney (which of course has the theme park "thing" down to a science). That being said, if you're in L.A. for a lengthy trip, want an amusement park experience, love Legos, and don't mind the drive then Legoland might be worth a day. Just calibrate your expectations REALLY low, and you'll probably be okay. The rides are okay, the lines are okay, the staff is okay, the cleanliness is okay... you get the point. Go in with low expectations and (hopefully) you won't be disappointed.

I emailed LEGOLAND and was told they do have a huge made out of Duplos Christmas Tree and then other decorations mostly in Fun Town. the woman who wrote me suggested I look at the park guide starting next month. She did not specify when the Christmas décor would go up. I think end of November the guide does snow "winter now night" or something like that so maybe before Thanksgiving they decorate. As an additional FYI: I did not initially realize that on each day of the calendar there are closures. For example it looks like Fairy Tale Brook ride (which I think is similar to Storyland Canal Boats) are closed most all of December. Keep an eye on that. Also Triple A said a one day LL only ticket is $72 when you buy at triple A. At LL it is $87 or $89 so Triple A does still give discounts. I believe there is a smaller Triple A discount when you show your card at the LL gate. No clue if that also gets you any discount on parking or not.

Last edited:
We just went to Legoland, and our kids definitely loved it, but I was pretty underwhelmed. The decor and theming was pretty cute, but very few of the rides were enjoyable for an adult. It didn't help that it was quite hot and humid (in October) and somewhat busy, maybe since it was Columbus Day. Still, it was a fun day.

The problem with Disneyland (and I assume World) is that ANY other theme park will from now on be a let down.

We've visited LL twice, our girls really enjoy it (8 & 5 on last visit) but Mrs McN and I not so much. Like a PP said, it is OK, everything is OK, but that is about it. This year we went to Universal instead but liked that even less, I think our girks are still a bit young and too adverse to thrill rides, which cancels out most things at Universal. I was surprised how little else there was... roll on Harry Potter...

We are going with 4 adults and a 9 year old girl. We have plans for 3 days at Disney and 1 at SeaWorld and saw that the CityPass includes these and a day at Legoland. Will it be fun for our group of mostly adults (even though we are kids at heart)?

We are going with 4 adults and a 9 year old girl. We have plans for 3 days at Disney and 1 at SeaWorld and saw that the CityPass includes these and a day at Legoland. Will it be fun for our group of mostly adults (even though we are kids at heart)?
It can be fun if you enjoy walking around and looking at stuff. I still go once in a while, but I tend to walk around, eat some apple fries and maybe ride one or two rides. That takes me about 2 hours altogether.

My husband enjoyed it the most out of group and we had 2 kids in tow (9 and 11 at that time). If y'all go try to sign the 9 year old up for mindstorms as early as possible. The kids loved that the most.

Thanks cruisehopeful and mfleeting! I will definitely check out mindstorms.

My son who is 4 has been to Disneyland twice and we now have a Disneyland trip planned for March but after he had heard about Legoland a theme park made of Legos he would rather visit Legoland now. He loves the Lego Movie as well as teh video games. I have visited Legoland quite a few times when I was younger and loved it as well. Also I will be at Disneyland March 1 - 3.

We decided to go. We'll have several days off after Disney and then go so it'll be different. They are huge lego lovers I just couldn't pass it up and I think they'd be too old next time.

Personally I loved LL. The grounds are beautiful and the apple fries amazing. I think it is pretty relaxing without major crowds or huge lineups. Yes there are some lines for the bigger rides. My favorite is the story brook ride on a hot day it gives me a few cool minutes.

I just got an email for ticket savings for $25 off and a second day free. Good until March 6th.
Go to legoland.com and tickets offers.

There's another offer to pay for 1 day and get 4 days free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter