~ From rainbows...through terror...to half in 2010! ~

Sorry Lisa isn't going to go with you. You were really looking forward to spending some time with her. Maybe another time you all will get to do a trip together.

Yay on the 1/2 marathon. Hopefully we will see each other and get to say hello.

Can't wait for the next pre-trip report. You do really good ones.

Too funny about the banner on top. I saw that today and thought...."free dining"....well that would help with costs and immediately started working numbers.

WooHoo on the 1/2 pound!:banana: you go girl! :banana: you can do it!

and last but certainly not least........

:bday: Happpy Birthday Mary! party:

Thanks for the Birthday wishes! :) I had a good day, even though the DIS was not up...:rolleyes1

I hope that we certainly get to meet for the 1/2!! Even go to the parks or something...not sure how you do the park touring...but I definitely think we have to meet up...we are from the same state, afterall!! :)

Congratulations on the successfull running! That's so fantastic. I've been contemptating starting a bit of a running program myself, and your very inspirational. I'm in pretty horrid shape, and while I can walk pretty quickly for long distances I've never been able to run without finding myself doubled up and weezing. For some reason I'm finding I have running on the brain lately, and am toying with the idea of doing a 1/2 marathon at some point. Probably mostly walking, but I'd like to do some running too. (Just to be sure I don't get "swept").

I highly recommend a couch to 5K program. For those of us that really, really don't run...it is hard, even at the beginning...but it has gotten so much easier!!! :thumbsup2 And I do much better inside on a treadmill.

I honestly don't ever plan to get past the first few weeks of the program. I will probably always jog some and then walk some...even for the half. My present goal is to finish the half in under 3 hours and 30 minutes. Although, that may be adjusted as I get used to the jogging. But right now I think I would finish considerably over that time and may get swept...if I had to do it tomorrow.

It would be so cool for you to join us to do the half in January!! If you are already walking long distances, you could totally do it!

We could have a big DIS meet!!! :) And I will be by myself, so I am all about finding some folks to even do the parks with! :thumbsup2

You should read Sandy341's report on her experiences with the half...

Sandy...if you are out there...can you post a link to that? Shoot, it maybe in her siggie...I will go look. That was inspiration to me!! :)

Congratulations on the successfull running! That's so fantastic. I've been contemptating starting a bit of a running program myself, and your very inspirational. I'm in pretty horrid shape, and while I can walk pretty quickly for long distances I've never been able to run without finding myself doubled up and weezing. For some reason I'm finding I have running on the brain lately, and am toying with the idea of doing a 1/2 marathon at some point. Probably mostly walking, but I'd like to do some running too. (Just to be sure I don't get "swept").

What are your dates for your solo December trip?

I will be there Dec 16 - Dec 20th!! :)

Looks like I'm going to just miss you. Right now I'm planning on being there from the 5th to the 11th even though it kills me that seems to be the black out week for discount codes.

I'd love to do Jan. but I'm not sure financially it's going to be an option, especially since I'll just be going in December. I really would love to do a Disney half marathon though. I'm toying with the idea of the Princess one next March, but again I'm going to have to see how things are going money wise. Stupid economy!!

I just requested a book, and the author's name is escaping me at the moment, from interlibrary loan, that I found alot of people on the Wish boards were recomending. Something about Marathoning for normal people or something like that. I think it's the fact that I've never been able to run, even as a child, that has me wanting to attempt it. I have many memories of walking the majority of a stupid 600 yd. dash as a kid to the dismay of my gym teacher.

A problem I'm facing at the moment is a bit of treadmill fear. I went flying off the back of the treadmill at the gym a few weeks ago when I first started going and started it too fast. Since then I've been a bit gun-shy about bumping up the speed even though I know I've walked faster than what I'm doing before. I'll probably try the couch to 5k program outside just to be on the safe side. I know my fears are ridiculous, and I didn't even really hurt myself badly, but it keeps playing on my mind.

My brother is a runner and recently my nieces ran a mile run at one of his races with him. (They are 5 and 7). One of these days I'd like to run the whole mile with my younger niece. If she can do it, so can I!

Yeah...I understand the hesitation to go in both Dec and Jan. My Dec trip is being mostly paid for by the family I am traveling with. I already have the AP, am riding with them and paying only half of a highly discounted room. So I only have food to buy and we plan to eat in the room for breakfast. So that trip will be inexpensive for me.

I just can't decide what to do about Jan. I need to make a decision soon about these trips so I can start to budget and make sure I can swing them all! I am going to Chicago in May with Lauren, too, but only have to pay for my souvies/snacks on that trip.

But maybe you can shoot for the half in 2011! I certainly hope to make mine a yearly event!! :thumbsup2

And I will take good notes for those of us that are true walkers! :)

Another book I highly recommend is Slow Fat Triathlete. It is written by a hilarious lady that is cut from the larger mold...and she talks about exercise and how she got started doing triathlons. It is just a funny read...even if you never plan to do a triathlon! She is truly funny! And quite inspirational.

I can't believe you fell on the treadmill. I would have just died and certainly understand your fear! :eek: Did just a ton of people see that? That is a big fear of mine. I did almost fall a few weeks ago when I was walking and messing with my iPhone. Bless your heart!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

But go for it!!! You can certainly do it outside! It is a lot faster to go right out your front door and walk/jog than to have to get in your car to go to the gym. Let us know how it goes!

Have you seen the C25 thread? Those folks over there are very nice!!! :thumbsup2

But maybe you can shoot for the half in 2011! I certainly hope to make mine a yearly event!! :thumbsup2

That's the way I'm thinking now. Plus it will give me plenty of time to get ready. I'm hoping I will be able to do some shorter races before that.

And I will take good notes for those of us that are true walkers! :)
Sound great! I can't wait to hear all about it.

Another book I highly recommend is Slow Fat Triathlete. It is written by a hilarious lady that is cut from the larger mold...and she talks about exercise and how she got started doing triathlons. It is just a funny read...even if you never plan to do a triathlon! She is truly funny! And quite inspirational.

I'm going to have to check that out.

I can't believe you fell on the treadmill. I would have just died and certainly understand your fear! :eek: Did just a ton of people see that? That is a big fear of mine. I did almost fall a few weeks ago when I was walking and messing with my iPhone. Bless your heart!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

It was so embarrassing! I flew off once, and then when trying to slow down the treadmill flew off again. The gym wasn't packed, but there were people around. Not one person asked if I was okay. I was fine until the next day when I was a sore mess.

But go for it!!! You can certainly do it outside! It is a lot faster to go right out your front door and walk/jog than to have to get in your car to go to the gym. Let us know how it goes!

Have you seen the C25 thread? Those folks over there are very nice!!! :thumbsup2

Weekends I really want to do outside. I'm going to try to bump up the workouts on the treadmill to try to get rid of the fear.

I'm going to have to check out that thread. This is all so new to me. I can use all the tips I can get!

It was so embarrassing! I flew off once, and then when trying to slow down the treadmill flew off again. The gym wasn't packed, but there were people around. Not one person asked if I was okay. I was fine until the next day when I was a sore mess.

Uh...that is just WRONG. They did not ask you if you were ok?!?! That is not nice. :sad2:

Weekends I really want to do outside. I'm going to try to bump up the workouts on the treadmill to try to get rid of the fear.

I'm going to have to check out that thread. This is all so new to me. I can use all the tips I can get!

That is a good idea. And definitely come and join that thread! :thumbsup2

Uh...that is just WRONG. They did not ask you if you were ok?!?! That is not nice. :sad2:

I know I was just shocked. The guy next to me was pretending I didn't even fall off. He couldn't have missed me. I'm not some tiny little thing, and I did do it twice in a row. I felt a bit insulted. :rotfl:

Ten Days in September!! Maroo's NEW Pre-Trip Report!!!!

I started a new pre-trip report!!!

Feel free to join in!!

It has no race...or WISH activities...and it is actually a Free Dining trip...so it probably goes against ALL of this...

but if you want to join in...and maybe keep me from eating all of this wonderful free food...feel free!!!!! :)

I'll have to go over and check it out. I love free dining!

I take Singular and Advair daily now, but I just started that recently - this last bit of pollen has really caught me off guard.

That seems like it ought to control things. If they are new, it may take awhile to work. Talk to your doctor again if things don't improve.

I have only done the running thing twice. I can walk as much as an hour at a brisk pace (16-17 min miles) without getting too winded. But as soon as I start jogging, I have a rough time.

If you can walk briskly without getting winded, then, you can learn to jog. Just keep adjusting the program until it works.

I think I have sort of decided (with the help of the folks on the C25K thread) that I am going to do 5 min walking, 30 seconds jog (slow), 2 min walk, 30 secs jog, 2 min walk...until I have done the job/walk for 20 min total...then the 5 min cool down. About 30 min total.

What do you think about that plan?

I think that sounds like a great way to start. You can then increase the jogging to 45 seconds and then 1 min and then start decreasing the walking time to 1min45 seconds, 1min30 sec, 1min15sec, 1min before you increase the running. Or, simply decide that the 2 min of walking is good for you and keep it while you increase the running. Most of the programs just drop you straight down to 1 min of walking. But, I think that for some people a 2 min walk is more useful during longer runs.

Also, most programs eventually get you to 10 min of running and then 1 min of walking. But, with what you describe as your goals, I might simply aim to get to 5 min of running and 1 or 2 min of walking and then add endurance.

I am still sore today from yesterday, so instead of doing another set tomorrow, I am going to go swimming instead. That will relax my muscles that are sore and still give me a good workout.

I am working out, in general, about 3 times per week. It is occasionally 4 and sometimes as little as 1, if my schedule is messed up. I do gym stuff (elliptical, weights, bike, treadmill), this 5K thing I just started, ride my bike or swim for my workouts.

I think we need a couch to beginner plan and then the beginner to 5K... :)[/QUOTE]

I HAVE to tell you this before we get cut off for the night!!!

I DID IT!!!

I did Week 1, Day 3 of the Couch to 5K plan (program on my iPhone) and I followed the instructions exactly! I actually jogged the 60 seconds, walked 90 seconds and jogged 60 and so on!!! I did it! :woohoo:

Woohoo!

I actually forgot my inhaler and figured I would have to really slow it down tonight. I was at the gym on the treadmill. I did so much better inside! I am sure the treadmill doing some of the work helped, too! But I am so, so excited!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Yeah, not using my inhaler tends to make it easier for me to keep going too.

Also, indoors is often easier--especially if you're dealing with triggers outside.

But, it's still fantastic!

Guess what, guys!!!

I did 3 whole miles in UNDER the 16 minute mile pace! This actually included my warm up walk, which gets me behind on my pace, too! I figure I will have to warm up that morning, so I better keep that 5 minutes in.

I am so excited! :banana: :banana: :banana:

I have a LONG way to go, though! Before I am able to do 13.1 miles outside...good thing I have 10 months!!

Gosh...if I add ONE mile per month I will be fine. That is a really cool way of looking at it. I am going 3 miles in under 16 minutes per mile in March...so my new goal will be 4 miles in under 16 min per mile in April...then 5 in May...6 in June...and so on. Then I will be ready by January! My 13th month!!! :)

How cool is that. Sounds doable...right?? Right??

On a health note...The Singular is working WONDERS for my allergies and asthma. Even with pollen counts in the "don't dare go outside" category...I am doing fine! :thumbsup2

:yay: :cheer2: :cool1: :woohoo: :yay:

Guess what, guys!!!

I did 3 whole miles in UNDER the 16 minute mile pace! This actually included my warm up walk, which gets me behind on my pace, too! I figure I will have to warm up that morning, so I better keep that 5 minutes in.

I have a LONG way to go, though! Before I am able to do 13.1 miles outside...good thing I have 10 months!!

Gosh...if I add ONE mile per month I will be fine. That is a really cool way of looking at it. I am going 3 miles in under 16 minutes per mile in March...so my new goal will be 4 miles in under 16 min per mile in April...then 5 in May...6 in June...and so on. Then I will be ready by January! My 13th month!!! :)

On a health note...The Singular is working WONDERS for my allergies and asthma. Even with pollen counts in the "don't dare go outside" category...I am doing fine! :thumbsup2

Contratulations! That's fantastic. Woo Hoo!:woohoo:

Guess what, guys!!!

You are using the same plan as me. Add more mileage each month. Only I am doing it each week. Each week I walk a bit farther and figure I should be there by January. But I am not up to 16 minute miles yet. You are way ahead of me and will probably leave me in the dust. :rotfl:

You are using the same plan as me. Add more mileage each month. Only I am doing it each week. Each week I walk a bit farther and figure I should be there by January. But I am not up to 16 minute miles yet. You are way ahead of me and will probably leave me in the dust. :rotfl:

I very highly doubt you will leave me in the dust! I just hope we BOTH leave the sweepers in the dust!!! :)

I will see tonight if I can do it again! And this was on a treadmill...I have not been able to do it outside yet! :) :rolleyes1

You guys remember back when Lisa decided she didn't want to go back to Disney? She has been hurting when she exercises...her hip, knee and shin has been giving her fits.

Well, today we sort of got some clue as to why. Lisa has a stress fracture in her tibia. Actually, that is the best case scenario. She had an MRI and the report actually mentions several things it could be... some I don't even want to think about. :sick:

But she is on crutches. Which means no Disney for her. They say it takes about 6 months to get back to "normal" and her fracture is pretty bad. They even mentioned a year before she can really exercise hard, like running or jogging. She won't be on crutches that long, obviously.

But...she can't lift Lauren. And will have a very hard time taking care of her at all in this state. So pray for her...and for all of us. Because it is no fun when the Momma is sick, ya know what I am saying? But since she is Momma of a disabled teenager...it is worse!!!!

Thanks for your prayers!!!!

That seems like it ought to control things. If they are new, it may take awhile to work. Talk to your doctor again if things don't improve.

If you can walk briskly without getting winded, then, you can learn to jog. Just keep adjusting the program until it works.

I think that sounds like a great way to start. You can then increase the jogging to 45 seconds and then 1 min and then start decreasing the walking time to 1min45 seconds, 1min30 sec, 1min15sec, 1min before you increase the running. Or, simply decide that the 2 min of walking is good for you and keep it while you increase the running. Most of the programs just drop you straight down to 1 min of walking. But, I think that for some people a 2 min walk is more useful during longer runs.

Also, most programs eventually get you to 10 min of running and then 1 min of walking. But, with what you describe as your goals, I might simply aim to get to 5 min of running and 1 or 2 min of walking and then add endurance.

I am still sore today from yesterday, so instead of doing another set tomorrow, I am going to go swimming instead. That will relax my muscles that are sore and still give me a good workout.

I am working out, in general, about 3 times per week. It is occasionally 4 and sometimes as little as 1, if my schedule is messed up. I do gym stuff (elliptical, weights, bike, treadmill), this 5K thing I just started, ride my bike or swim for my workouts.

Not using my inhaler tends to make it easier for me to keep going too.

Also, indoors is often easier--especially if you're dealing with triggers outside.

But, it's still fantastic!

Oh my goodness...

I never even SAW this post!!!! :scared1: :scared1:

I am so sorry!!!!! :) I hope you are still reading and see this!!!

I think the multiquote threw me off and I just missed it...sorry!!!

To answer your post...

My new asthma meds seem to be doing the trick! I don't feel nearly as bad when I am outside!

I have made a few decisions...this is such a process for me! :)

I am going to walk...at least 2 hours a week. I did an hour straight this evening. I am going to concentrate on walking, to hopefully drop a significant amt of weight through the summer. I will still do the triathlon in May, but my focus will be on finishing it and not worrying about my time. If I am dead last, at least I started and completed it, right! :thumbsup2

Then let the walking take me all the way to August.

In August, I will sign up for the Team in Training. This will take the pressure off of me for training and figuring out what team I will be running for, etc. I am just tired of thinking about that. I really need accountability and with Lisa out of commission, it is going to be harder for me to stay motivated. And since this is my first major race, and I am going straight to the half (no middle race in between) I want to make sure I have plenty of accountability to finish strong.

I work at a cancer clinic, so fund raising for cancer support and research will be cool. Not as cool as raising money for GKTW...but maybe next year when I have my first race under my belt. :)

Every time I try to jog, I just end up going overall slower than when I just walk and my endurance is a LOT better when I walk. Not sure if it is just all of this weight I am carrying around, my asthma stuff, or a mixture of all of that, but for now - I plan to focus on walking. :thumbsup2

I'll have to go over and check it out. I love free dining!

I am loving planning that trip! I love free stuff! :thumbsup2

Contratulations! That's fantastic. Woo Hoo!:woohoo:

Thank you so much!! This is April...so the goal is 4 miles in that 16 min mile pace!!! Let's see if I can do it!!! :thumbsup2

I doubt I will leave ANYONE in the dust!! :lmao: I heard someone say on a podcast that he plans to wear a shirt that says "DON'T SWEEP ME!" I think I might have to come up with a sign that says the same, I think!!! :)

Update on Lisa....

Sorry I forgot to post it here last week. I have too many threads going! Hence my neglect of this one!

Lisa has what they think is a stress fracture is her tibia. But it is covering a very large part of her tibia (2/3) and the swelling (even in her bone) is pretty severe. They can't actually see the fracture, they just think it is there. Plus her knee has a double torn meniscus.

She has an appt with the orthopod tomorrow, so hopefully they will know more after that appt.

Regardless, she is out for the foreseeable future as far as being a training buddy. :( And I am trying to help them more often since Lisa can't really do as much for Lauren using crutches.

Anyway...that is the update! :)

Oh my goodness...

I never even SAW this post!!!! :scared1: :scared1:

I am so sorry!!!!! :) I hope you are still reading and see this!!!

I think the multiquote threw me off and I just missed it...sorry!!!

To answer your post...

My new asthma meds seem to be doing the trick! ...

I am going to walk...at least 2 hours a week. ...

In August, I will sign up for the Team in Training. ...

Every time I try to jog, I just end up going overall slower than when I just walk and my endurance is a LOT better when I walk.

I'm still around (not daily these days, but, around).

I'm glad to hear that the asthma meds are working and that you've got a plan in sight. Training with a team is always a good idea--especially for a first race.

Starting to run/jog does usually slow most people down. So, when you are ready to start running don't stress too much about that...it'll improve with practice.

It doesn't matter if you run or walk in any given "race" (for me race is a relative term), what matters is that you do it. I got back out on the road today, feeling better and I think I am out of my funk thanks to the universe taking care of me again :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter