~ From rainbows...through terror...to half in 2010! ~

Try doing the elliptical more, I am convinced that helps with running without actually having to do the running. I have been doing the elliptical three days a week for 45 minutes each and running the other two days and I notice a difference in my run. After doing the elliptical with resistance and elevation it is like nothing to run a mile on flat land. Keep up the good work. The weather is getting nicer and it will be good to start running outside again.

Thanks for that advice!

I'm struggling with the whole enormity of it all - the weight, the exercise, the run(I call it wog! walk/jog) In my head I'm fine with it all... but reality really bites sometimes...

That AP is a mahvelous thing!! Good for you!! I think the EE sounds fun too!! I also think having those goals throughout the year is a good thing - I guess I'd better find a 5K to make as a goal!

the weather here in Chicagoland is NOT cooperating!! Its so raining, and cold, tomorrow its going to be very cold, with more rain! YUCK... but in the end its just an excuse...

so thanks for continuing to post about your journey, it truly is inspiring!!

well, haven't wieighed in far too long, but no matter. I've been very slack in everything, but esp. exercise. I guess it doesn't help when you make a fantastic meal like crepes with creamed chicken or scalloped potatoes! I wish green veggies were easier to get here!

Oh well, I'm ordering that iPod this week and someone will bring it into Dubai for me, so when I get back I can hit the walking with, What else??!, Disney music.

Keep up the good work!!

L

Leisa,

If you get an iPod...see if you can get the couch to 5K plan loaded on there...if you ever want to run/jog some.

I just started it.

Basically it has me walking 5 min to warm up...then jogging 60 seconds and walking for 90 seconds and 5 min cool down for a total time of 31 minutes....

It plays in the background of the songs that I really like and tells me when I should walk and when I should jog...works pretty well!

But I am only on day 1... :) ha ha

I am pretty bummed today.

First...where I have been this week on my goals...

Worked out 3 times this week including a couch to 5K plan, weights, biking and some swimming. Not too bad.

Food has been ok. It is that time of the month and this has been a heavy one, so I have not felt that great. I need to do better on the food deal!

My major problem right now is that I am totally bummed!!

Lisa is having second thoughts about coming with me to Disney at all for any race. She is having issues with injuries and trying to find someone to cover to help Lauren while both of us are gone. And she says she doesn't like Disney World like I do. :(

This makes me very sad. I just got back from Disney by myself and had a good time...but I don't want to go do a race by myself. I was looking forward to doing it with Lisa.

Anyway...I am bummed...and discouraged...

So, there you have it...

I am pretty bummed today.

First...where I have been this week on my goals...

Worked out 3 times this week including a couch to 5K plan, weights, biking and some swimming. Not too bad.

Food has been ok. It is that time of the month and this has been a heavy one, so I have not felt that great. I need to do better on the food deal!

My major problem right now is that I am totally bummed!!

Lisa is having second thoughts about coming with me to Disney at all for any race. She is having issues with injuries and trying to find someone to cover to help Lauren while both of us are gone. And she says she doesn't like Disney World like I do. :(

This makes me very sad. I just got back from Disney by myself and had a good time...but I don't want to go do a race by myself. I was looking forward to doing it with Lisa.

Anyway...I am bummed...and discouraged...

So, there you have it...

Don't get discouraged, just do a "fresh start" on Monday, that is what I am planning on doing! This week has been less than optimal in terms of eating, and working out. I did the 5 mile run today though and that has inspired me to get back on track. Now I have to start thinking about another run to do between now and the Boilermaker in June. I also have to get registered for the half marathon which is 70% full as of this week when I checked so I have to get going with that. You certainly won't be running the half-marathon alone even if you take the trip yourself, there will be a lot of wishers there, including myself. You can do it and trust me, you won't regret it!

:hug: She hasn't said definitly no yet, that's a good sign. Give it a few days, seems you have had a bad week.

My name is Lisa and I love Disney. I'd offer to go with you as I am just a couple hours from you, but some how I don't think it would be the same.

:hug: She hasn't said definitly no yet, that's a good sign. Give it a few days, seems you have had a bad week.

My name is Lisa and I love Disney. I'd offer to go with you as I am just a couple hours from you, but some how I don't think it would be the same.

Aw!! You are so sweet!!! :)

I am hoping that she will come around. She was excited about it. But she had a bad week and is generally frustrated with her world.

Well it will be Lisa's loss because we are all going to have a great time cheering each other on.You will have tons of support and hook up at a resort where you know other Disers(usually Pop) hang out.

Linda

Hi guys!! :)

I am attempting something I have never done before...

running.

well, running is probably an overstatement.

Jogging. Or wogging, as my friend called it. :rotfl2: For those of us that probably could walk faster.

I downloaded a couch to 5K program on my iPhone. I love the program! You get to use your own music and it just sits there in the background telling you when to do your 5 min warm up, when to run (60 seconds) and when to walk (90 seconds)...you do the walk/run for 20 minutes and then a 5 min cool down. And the program just tells you what to do...(beep, beep, beep - run...60 seconds later you hear...beep, beep, beep - walk...) you get the idea.

This is week 1, day 2, for those of you guys that are familiar with the program.

My only problem is...I can't run for 60 seconds straight. Isn't that HORRIBLE? I am SOOOOO out of shape. I also have asthma and it really kicks up when I try to run...especially outside in the pollen. When I use my inhaler, my heart rate goes up and I get shaky, but if I don't use it, I can't breathe. Breathing is better, I have decided. :thumbsup2 So I just do one puff on my inhaler and try to tough it out.

So...I guess I am looking for a little encouragement here. Anyone else in this boat? Or is this just a useless exercise? I do think I got a good workout. Still sweating!!

My other issue is water. I am trying to plan ahead for the triathlon I am doing (2+ miles) and all of the other races I am thinking about (up to the half!)...I can't go 1 mile without drinking water. And that is the spacing for the water stops for the half. Maybe I can by then...but I can't right now. I bought myself one of those camelback backpacks and could use that...although I feel pretty stupid wearing it for my 2 mile wogging. (Sandy, I am stealing your term...and using it as both a noun and a verb!) So...what do you guys think? Do any of you guys doing the half ever wear those water backpacks? Am I stupid to wear it?

I won't wear it for the tri...because there is water on the way there and on the way back...so I should be good for that one!

Anyway...any help, suggestions, from those of you guys that have been there?

TIA!!!! :)

Well it will be Lisa's loss because we are all going to have a great time cheering each other on.You will have tons of support and hook up at a resort where you know other Disers(usually Pop) hang out.

Linda

I finally decided to leave Lisa alone about it for a while.

She has horrible shin splints...which I think is the main reason that she can't imagine training right now. Plus, her son has been really sick (salmonella)...so I am going to hold off, for now.

So...I am going to just hold off. Not sure what I will do if she doesn't want to run. I might try to talk her into a Sept trip to Night of Joy or something, if she can't train to do a race.

But, won't cross that bridge until she decides what she would like to do! At the worst, we won't be able to stay where I want to stay, because it will probably be sold out by then...if it is not already. But we can still go and stay value or even offsite, if we had to.

I am hoping to get some details SOON from the DIS Unplugged GKTW team. I really, really want to raise money for GKTW. I just love that place. That is where my heart is, ya know. But waiting to see what sort of deals they can work out with Disney.

So...I am in a holding pattern. I am planning two other trips...and will start two pre-trippies for those sometime soon! :) So stay tuned. Never a dull moment around here!!!! :)

Maroo, any exercise is good exercise. I can't run for very long either. My legs hurt real bad when I try to run. I keep trying, but I know not to push to hard, just push kind of hard. I figure keep on walking and the running may come. Keep up the good work!

Maroo -- I have asthma and have had problems with it and running too, but, I've also run a half-marathon before, so, I know it's possible. I have two pieces of advice:

First, your asthma may not qualify as properly under control. When I first started running I was having problems with mine and eventually discovered that I needed to be on a regular steroidal inhaler. What sort of regular maintenance meds are you taking? Have you spoken with your doctor about them lately? Also, the heart racing thing isn't really good. If you combine the rescue inhaler with too much exercise it could be bad. Since you're only doing short runs for now it might be okay, but, track your heartrate and keep it safe -- okay? As my running improved, my asthma during running generally improved as well and I levelled out, but, I still have bad days.

Second, you said that you can't run 60 seconds. Okay, that doesn't mean that it's a bad program for you, just that it needs tweaking. I've always been a walk/run runner. I find that the heartrate drop during the walking phase really helps my asthma too. Can you walk for 20 minutes without driving your heartrate up? Can you walk briskly for 20 minutes? How long can you run for without feeling like you're going to collapse? Take the answers to those questions and then make a different (likely longer) plan. I can help if you want because I've worked out a bunch of running plans over the years--there are also plenty of actual experts who have plans you can follow I just don't tend to think they ease in enough for the true beginner. (Btw, how many days a week are you trying to work out?)

Maroo -- I have asthma and have had problems with it and running too, but, I've also run a half-marathon before, so, I know it's possible. I have two pieces of advice:

First, your asthma may not qualify as properly under control. When I first started running I was having problems with mine and eventually discovered that I needed to be on a regular steroidal inhaler. What sort of regular maintenance meds are you taking? Have you spoken with your doctor about them lately? Also, the heart racing thing isn't really good. If you combine the rescue inhaler with too much exercise it could be bad. Since you're only doing short runs for now it might be okay, but, track your heartrate and keep it safe -- okay? As my running improved, my asthma during running generally improved as well and I levelled out, but, I still have bad days.

Second, you said that you can't run 60 seconds. Okay, that doesn't mean that it's a bad program for you, just that it needs tweaking. I've always been a walk/run runner. I find that the heartrate drop during the walking phase really helps my asthma too. Can you walk for 20 minutes without driving your heartrate up? Can you walk briskly for 20 minutes? How long can you run for without feeling like you're going to collapse? Take the answers to those questions and then make a different (likely longer) plan. I can help if you want because I've worked out a bunch of running plans over the years--there are also plenty of actual experts who have plans you can follow I just don't tend to think they ease in enough for the true beginner. (Btw, how many days a week are you trying to work out?)

Thank you!

I will take any help I can get.

I take Singular and Advair daily now, but I just started that recently - this last bit of pollen has really caught me off guard.

I have only done the running thing twice. I can walk as much as an hour at a brisk pace (16-17 min miles) without getting too winded. But as soon as I start jogging, I have a rough time.

I think I have sort of decided (with the help of the folks on the C25K thread) that I am going to do 5 min walking, 30 seconds jog (slow), 2 min walk, 30 secs jog, 2 min walk...until I have done the job/walk for 20 min total...then the 5 min cool down. About 30 min total.

What do you think about that plan?

I am still sore today from yesterday, so instead of doing another set tomorrow, I am going to go swimming instead. That will relax my muscles that are sore and still give me a good workout.

I am working out, in general, about 3 times per week. It is occasionally 4 and sometimes as little as 1, if my schedule is messed up. I do gym stuff (elliptical, weights, bike, treadmill), this 5K thing I just started, ride my bike or swim for my workouts.

I think we need a couch to beginner plan and then the beginner to 5K... :)

Maroo, any exercise is good exercise. I can't run for very long either. My legs hurt real bad when I try to run. I keep trying, but I know not to push to hard, just push kind of hard. I figure keep on walking and the running may come. Keep up the good work!

Thank you for your encouragement! I have no idea how I missed your post?!?!

But I just got it!! :) I am going to try to cut back a little, but press on!! :)

I HAVE to tell you this before we get cut off for the night!!!

I DID IT!!!

I did Week 1, Day 3 of the Couch to 5K plan (program on my iPhone) and I followed the instructions exactly! I actually jogged the 60 seconds, walked 90 seconds and jogged 60 and so on!!! I did it! :woohoo:

I actually forgot my inhaler and figured I would have to really slow it down tonight. I was at the gym on the treadmill. I did so much better inside! I am sure the treadmill doing some of the work helped, too! But I am so, so excited!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

You fitness enthusiasts are going...UH...DUH. That is no big deal. But I felt like I had run a race! I almost did something totally stupid and raised my hands when I was done...you know, like a race. Now how funny would that have been! :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl:

Anyway...I better post this before they pull the plug on me!! Thank you all so much for encouraging me to keep going! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

:banana::banana:Yay Maroo! You go girl!:banana::banana:

You are way ahead of me. :worship:

You are so funny...

There is NO WAY I am way ahead of you. :) You could catch up with me in a week! lol

Come on...join me! :) It isn't as hard as it seems at first... :thumbsup2

Ok...

I finally made a decision.

First of all, Lisa is not going to go to Disney. I have sort of sat on it for a while and she has not expressed any interest in going. So I asked today and she is definitely not interested in going anymore.

I am sad about that...but I do understand.

She is injured and has not been able to gain any ground on that. She can't even imagine, at this point, walking in Disney as she goes to the parks, much less doing any kind of race. Plus other things going on that just don't allow her to plan very far in advance.

So...That leads me to my next decision.

I sort of went backwards...

January - Definitely doing the half marathon. I have a lot of support on this board to do this...meeting lots of cool folks here and should be able to hopefully set up some DIS meets while I am there...so I am going...solo or not...in January! *Still need to decide if I am going on my own, with the DISUnplugged/WISH/GKTW team OR with Team in Training. Team in Training has some advantages...including that I would have people to actually travel with. And I would be raising money for cancer, which is a big deal for my work.

December - Going with some friends...will start a pre-trip report at some point for this...gosh, I have some pre-trippies to work on!!

That brings me to a fall race. It really doesn't make much sense for me to just off and go to Disney by myself to do a fall race when I am already going to be doing a race in January.

So...that brings me to the fall. I saw the Free Dining message above...and have been hanging out on that thread...and have decided I am going to go in September!!! Free Dining is just too good to pass up. I am able to go for a LONG time in Sept and only take three days of work...so I am thinking I will do that. The focus of this trip will be the Night of Joy! I love Contemporary Christian music and can't wait!!! I have two friends I have talked to about going with me...so I am going to wait to hear back from them and book a trip!!! :) Woo Hoo!!!

So...that is where I am today...

Oh yeah...the WISH part of this... lol

I lost another half a pound this week!! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Considering I ate everything in sight on my Birthday (which was Sunday)...I am lucky to have lost anything. But I have been doing my running every other day...so that has helped tremendously!

Thank you all for all of your support and comments!! I really appreciate it!

First of all, Lisa is not going to go to Disney.

So...That leads me to my next decision.

I sort of went backwards...

January - Definitely doing the half marathon.

December - Going with some friends...will start a pre-trip report at some point for this...gosh, I have some pre-trippies to work on!!

So...that brings me to the fall. I saw the Free Dining message above...and have been hanging out on that thread...and have decided I am going to go in September!!! Free Dining is just too good to pass up. I am able to go for a LONG time in Sept and only take three days of work...so I am thinking I will do that. The focus of this trip will be the Night of Joy! I love Contemporary Christian music and can't wait!!! I have two friends I have talked to about going with me...so I am going to wait to hear back from them and book a trip!!! :) Woo Hoo!!!

So...that is where I am today...

I lost another half a pound this week!! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Considering I ate everything in sight on my Birthday (which was Sunday)...I am lucky to have lost anything. But I have been doing my running every other day...so that has helped tremendously!

Sorry Lisa isn't going to go with you. You were really looking forward to spending some time with her. Maybe another time you all will get to do a trip together.

Yay on the 1/2 marathon. Hopefully we will see each other and get to say hello.

Can't wait for the next pre-trip report. You do really good ones.

Too funny about the banner on top. I saw that today and thought...."free dining"....well that would help with costs and immediately started working numbers.

WooHoo on the 1/2 pound!:banana: you go girl! :banana: you can do it!

and last but certainly not least........

:bday: Happpy Birthday Mary! party:

Congratulations on the successfull running! That's so fantastic. I've been contemptating starting a bit of a running program myself, and your very inspirational. I'm in pretty horrid shape, and while I can walk pretty quickly for long distances I've never been able to run without finding myself doubled up and weezing. For some reason I'm finding I have running on the brain lately, and am toying with the idea of doing a 1/2 marathon at some point. Probably mostly walking, but I'd like to do some running too. (Just to be sure I don't get "swept").

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter