Ft. Wilderness Cabins becoming DVC?

Then perhaps we should wait to see the accommodations before judging?

Square footage alone does not a deluxe make. I’ve seen enough of people’s tiny home layouts to know you can do a lot with a small footprint. These are going to be new “units” and I’d hope that someone had a brainchild before they went down this road.
Agreed. We're all speculating and most of that speculation is within the confines of what we have seen in other DVC accommodations. Who would have thought what a gamechanger the two different types of murphy beds could be for DVC before they were introduced? A blank slate re-think of the cabin footprint could result in any number of "innovative" layouts (even in the existing "footprint"). The only potentially innovative discussion I've seen is about a potential loft. But there are any number of other space-saving innovations that could be introduced.

What about a built in set of "bunks in a wall" directly in the living room? That, combined with a queen murphy and queen primary bedroom could permit 6 (in the primary you could remove the bunks, rotate the head of the bed to the long back wall and then effectively narrow that primary bedroom to shift for more space in the living room to accommodate the bunk wall. This is just one possible idea. I think there's also room to rethink the bathroom space (especially if they ditched the tub for just a shower as they did with most rooms at VDH).

And while the angled roof shown in the artwork may not be enough to permit a loft (as some have argued), I noticed that it results in the majority of windows being placed high up (leaving much more wall space flexibility compared to the current cabins that have traditional height windows limiting layout and furniture placement on those walls). If you look at the interiors, a lot of the current layout is clearly dictated by the current window placement and height.

Bottom line, for us everything will depend on the point charts compared to the layout. To ask anything more point wise than what a Poly studio will require a full kitchen and a door to a bedroom (that for us would have to be private for 2 adults).

Maybe a sliding wall that is closed off for sleeping?
If using two shower only bathrooms, a lot of room is saved.

Maybe a sliding wall that is closed off for sleeping?
If using two shower only bathrooms, a lot of room is saved.
The pocket doors are great space-savers. They did a nice job with them in the RR bathrooms.

It's not hard to imagine that some folks will be interested in these. As always, it will depend on how many points they require. It will be interesting to see where they land. I had been skeptical that they'd be in the 1BR neighborhood, but even if they add a loft, it might be tough to get the current footprint up to even the smaller 1BRs in system, which are about 700sq. ft. give or take, so I'm revising that expectation.

But, no matter what they do, some people will love them. "There's a bolt for every nut."

Did Disney ever indicate they would not be expanding the concrete slab the existing cabins rest on? It would be inexpensive to pour another 200-400 feet of concrete and have a larger square footage.

Did Disney ever indicate they would not be expanding the concrete slab the existing cabins rest on? It would be inexpensive to pour another 200-400 feet of concrete and have a larger square footage.
Yes, I think the announcement said they would use the existing footprint.

Can you expand the structure a certain amount beyond the footprint to create additional space?
They could certainly cantilever the floor joists out a bit along the side opposite the entry door, and along the back wall, but it wouldn't buy you a ton of space.

They could certainly cantilever the floor joists out a bit along the side opposite the entry door, and along the back wall, but it wouldn't buy you a ton of space.
They're also definitely prefabbing these offsite and will have to ship them down the road and into the Fort. Not sure what the width of the existing cabins & pad is but I can't imagine they'd want to go too wide on the units.

I imagine they want to minimize downtime on cash bookings for cabins so a multi-piece assembly at the Fort would be less than ideal.

Is 3 or 4 feet along both sides and the back possible?

Can a 20x25 building become 23x31 or 24x33?

An extra 250 to 300 square foot

It's not hard to imagine that some folks will be interested in these. As always, it will depend on how many points they require. It will be interesting to see where they land. I had been skeptical that they'd be in the 1BR neighborhood, but even if they add a loft, it might be tough to get the current footprint up to even the smaller 1BRs in system, which are about 700sq. ft. give or take, so I'm revising that expectation.

But, no matter what they do, some people will love them. "There's a bolt for every nut."
We are definitely interested in these. We are mostly one bedroom people - there are three of us and we like having a kitchen. We really enjoyed our brief stay in a cabin a few years back and this might get us to make a direct purchase, especially if the point charts are reasonable (more AKL than Riviera).

The idea of a loft is very interesting. Some cabins have bunk beds. Now if they put two sets of bunks in the loft area, that increases the need for two full bathrooms (if you can indeed sleep - 2 main bed, 2or3 in living room, plus 4 in bunks. That's a good number of people, if indeed the new cabins could be improved to this point) ah to dream... But another unique problem, will be separating the DVC, from the campground. Will it be a sorta gated community? Will DVC have their own pool? Will said pool have a fun feature? Will the pool be exclusive to the DVC area?

The idea of a loft is very interesting. Some cabins have bunk beds. Now if they put two sets of bunks in the loft area, that increases the need for two full bathrooms (if you can indeed sleep - 2 main bed, 2or3 in living room, plus 4 in bunks. That's a good number of people, if indeed the new cabins could be improved to this point) ah to dream... But another unique problem, will be separating the DVC, from the campground. Will it be a sorta gated community? Will DVC have their own pool? Will said pool have a fun feature? Will the pool be exclusive to the DVC area?
Just guessing, not real familiar with the campground but I would think that Disney will upgrade the amenities and they would likely be shared. It looks like they will need to add or upgrade the pool area. Maybe along the lines of CCV/WL. I think the best way for this to work is if Disney upgrades the entire Fort Wilderness area while still keeping the things that people like about it.

Does Disney still have horse drawn carriage rides at FW? If so, we are definitely going to book one any time we stay there during the Holiday season.

Also, I think they used to offer haunted carriage rides. Do they still offer these?

Does Disney still have horse drawn carriage rides at FW? If so, we are definitely going to book one any time we stay there during the Holiday season.

Also, I think they used to offer haunted carriage rides. Do they still offer these?
Yep. We did one at Christmastime last year. They leave from Tri-Circle-D Ranch.

My whole issue is these cabins are not Deluxe. They should not have points that are available to book the current DVC. Sorry, this is the start of the Moderate DVC. If I want to be in the Wilderness, I will stay at Wilderness Lodge, a true Deluxe resort.
Glamping and Luxury Tiny Homes in a natural setting have big appeal to the next generation coming up. I'd argue that there are many 20 and 30-somethings who would feel that a luxury tiny home with well appointed furnishings and amenities is definitely deluxe. Particularly young families who want room to roam. They might even see them as more deluxe than other DVC resorts.

Beautiful grounds to explore, excellent dining options, Magic Kingdom just a boat launch away . . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter